IGNORED

Phil Neville

Matt

"Is it unfair to point out that since Neville has been out, we have won 2 1/4 games and scored 10 goals?" after 3rd goal went in...

By the end of the game, was of course won 3/3 with 11 goals, so dont think its unfair at all! What do you guys think? Do you think Davie will put him back in the squad if things continue like this?

That Nev not being in the side is somehow related to us scoring so many goals and winning games.

well then its a funny coincidence then isnt it! Im not saying its soley down to his absense, obviously the players deserve the credit (Billy, Ossie, Pienaar to name but 3), im just saying that we seem, well, better and nicer to watch. I might be wrong here, but i think Arteta should be fit before Nev is, and if our midfield is already that strong, where do you play him?

Do you think he will come straight back in if this streak continues?

He played against Sunderland when we put 7 past them and played good football, same against Larissa. Im sure there are other examples as well, so it's bang out of order for any Evertonian to suggest Nev not playing is a reason we're winning etc.

He's our captain so Moyes will get him into the side when he's fit and ready.

dont think its bang out of order but i understand where youre coming from. Im not sayin he is the sole reason, but it is a remarkable coinceidence. I do rate him, but he is very defensively minded. As for the being captain point, things can change...

Question still remains though mate, who do you drop to have him in?

Edited by galacticaracnid

Nev is a great pro, and i for one am happy that he is at our club, he no doubt brings things to the squad that the average pro doesn't. However that doesn't mean we shouldn't look at how the team performs without him. For me is certainly isn't the first name on the team sheet, he isn't in the first 11 if heitinga proves himself at right back. I feel that his role going forward may be to steady the team when holding on to a narrow lead. We have attacking options in midfield that justify dropping him, they way rodwell is playing makes him nailed on for the holding role. It's evolution, it's what happens, the same thing is happening to his brother. Being captain doesn't warrant auto selection. Liverpool will soon be looking at carragher as being dropped, crazy how fast the years go by for these lads.

Nev is a great pro, and i for one am happy that he is at our club, he no doubt brings things to the squad that the average pro doesn't. However that doesn't mean we shouldn't look at how the team performs without him. For me his certainly isn't the first name on the team sheet, he isn't in the first 11 if heitinga proves himself at right back. I feel that his role going forward may be to steady the team when holding on to a narrow lead. We have attacking options in midfield that justify dropping him, they way rodwell is playing makes him nailed on for the holding role. It's evolution, it's what happens, the same thing is happening to his brother. Being captain doesn't warrant auto selection. Liverpool will soon be looking at carragher as being dropped, crazy how fast the years go by for these lads.

thanks! that puts it clearer than ive been able to!

Nev is a great pro, and i for one am happy that he is at our club, he no doubt brings things to the squad that the average pro doesn't. However that doesn't mean we shouldn't look at how the team performs without him. For me is certainly isn't the first name on the team sheet, he isn't in the first 11 if heitinga proves himself at right back. I feel that his role going forward may be to steady the team when holding on to a narrow lead. We have attacking options in midfield that justify dropping him, they way rodwell is playing makes him nailed on for the holding role. It's evolution, it's what happens, the same thing is happening to his brother. Being captain doesn't warrant auto selection. Liverpool will soon be looking at carragher as being dropped, crazy how fast the years go by for these lads.

i actually agree with this, especially the point of evolution, things come in cycles, its strange what an injury can do for other players, and if pointed out they continue strongly, why tamper with a winning formula, anyhow, its early days regarding our 3 big victories on the spin, lets see how we fare against pompey, also we havnt been behind yet, and thats were neville comes into it, his leadership qualities are exceptional, he has picked the players up so many times, whether it be telling them verbally, or showing them on the pitch in a tackle etc

I agree, as a leader and as a professional I can't fault Phil Neville and I think he deserves a special place in Everton's history for essentially leading us through the Moyes revival on the field. But on another thread I was talking through the options we have in midfield and how great it was to have selection headaches and I'd forgotten all about him. Looking at what we have, i think it would be madness to think of him as an automatic starter because, truth be told, we have better footballers who can play in the centre. I think it's great that Felli will now get a run in his favoured position, I know Moyes has said he wants to protect Rodwell but trhe way he's playing he hardly looks like he needs it, it's hard to leave Cahill out with his goal threat and we've got Arteta to come back... is Neville really first choice ahead of all of them?

I've never been a great fan of him in the middle anyway tbh, I'd rather see him take the armband again and play at right back. But again, Heitinga, Neill, Hibbert... there's competition, which is great for the club. No way i'm saying he shouldn't get a look in, but he should have to earn his place back in the side on merit, not just because he's been captain.

Great ambassador for Everton and i really like Neville, he's impressed me a hell of a lot since he moved. His family are part of the club now aswel, and he himself admits he's more blue than red. I think its going to be really hard for him to get back in the starting 11, but we need someone like him to pick it up in the dressing room, on the pitch through injury time and at training sessions when things arent going our way.

The lads love him at Everton, its evident, they all respect him and hold him in high regards. The 'neville interupts Heitinga interview' proves that he's one of the lads, likes a joke, keeps morals high and is an easy guy to get on with (that can be denoted through Heitingas reaction).

I hope he can finish his footballing career at Everton, i really do and hopefully there maybe coaching or management role doors opening for him in the future.

Its sad to say, but he will struggle to get first team based on the quality we now have in the squad, saying that his heart opitimises EFC and i for one, would still love to see him fully fit in our squad!

Neville is what all professional footballers should be. I don't know who he actually supports, but he is an Everton player and he gives everything for the club, both on and off the pitch.

I wish all footballers were like that.

Whatever the future holds for him, I for one am grateful he came to us.

I think two years ago I would have been alot more critcial of Nevilles play. You canoot question his commitment and heart but I think everyone would admit he is not the best footballer in the world. That said over the last two years/seasons I don't know what moyes had done to him but he uses the ball alot better and doesn't seem to give it away as much.

All that said I agree with all the post saying he should not be automatic pick for the first 11. I actualy think once Arteta is back we will find it very difficult who to play in CM.

Great ambassador for Everton and i really like Neville, he's impressed me a hell of a lot since he moved. His family are part of the club now aswel, and he himself admits he's more blue than red. I think its going to be really hard for him to get back in the starting 11, but we need someone like him to pick it up in the dressing room, on the pitch through injury time and at training sessions when things arent going our way.

The lads love him at Everton, its evident, they all respect him and hold him in high regards. The 'neville interupts Heitinga interview' proves that he's one of the lads, likes a joke, keeps morals high and is an easy guy to get on with (that can be denoted through Heitingas reaction).

I hope he can finish his footballing career at Everton, i really do and hopefully there maybe coaching or management role doors opening for him in the future.

Its sad to say, but he will struggle to get first team based on the quality we now have in the squad, saying that his heart opitimises EFC and i for one, would still love to see him fully fit in our squad!

very well said

we lost against fulham after he went off no one stepped up to pick up the team after that...also we have won 3 games against shite opposition if you ask me...ok i know we can only play whats in front of us but id have been pissed off with anythin less than 3 decent wins out of them 3 games...so whoever thinks its down to him not bein around is talkin shite...some people were sayin the same thing about osman and hibbert against athens cos they didnt play but both started at hull...1 man doesnt make a team just as 1 man doesnt fuck up a team

I think the texter has a valid point. Neville is the club captain, and does lead by example, but creates nothing! Felliani and Rodwell/Cahill make opportunities and the team seem more balanced and confident with the ball played to feet. Though I have grown like respect Neville, I said his injury would free up Everton attacking potential.