IGNORED

Tim Cahill

RafaBeneathus

I haven't been able to catch many games in the last year or so for one reason or another, but what's happened to tim cahill? He has gone from banging in the goals to hardly being a threat at all. Any of you who go regularly to see everton, has there been a change in tactics? Is he affected still by his injuries or has he simply faded into the background and reached his premier league limit?

He has been deployed in a different role at the moment. He's the work horse in the team at the moment. He's all over the place. While he may no longer be grabbing headlines he is still a important cog in the team. He harries other players and chases balls down. He is doing dirty work so that players like Pienaar can shine. That's my view on Timmy at the moment.

He has been deployed in a different role at the moment. He's the work horse in the team at the moment. He's all over the place. While he may no longer be grabbing headlines he is still a important cog in the team. He harries other players and chases balls down. He is doing dirty work so that players like Pienaar can shine. That's my view on Timmy at the moment.

I would go along with that

Cheers for that. I was under the impression fellaini was brought in for the defensive midfield role but having seen him last season it appears not. Shame really as cahill in his usual position would get us around 10 or more goals per season. Surprised moyes wanted to mess with that.

Edited by RafaBeneathus

Hmm Saha scoring and Timmy midfield or Timmy scoring and saha on the bench.

I think Saha will get more goals than Timmy. Besides if worst comes to worst he can always play him up front as and when required.

Did I miss something ??

Why would Cahill playing in a more attacking role/ scoring mean Saha had to be benched??

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

I've always thought Cahill was a one trick pony! bloody good trick mind!

Looks like Moyes is trying to change him a bit.Behind the right forward and with the right service, that was Cahill at his best.Him being able to ply two formations gives us options, and if Billy can pick out his head in amongst the big boys the goals should continue.

Say what you will, Cahill works his arse off when he plays in the shirt.

And if there's set pieces, Timmy will still be able to pull of his 'one trick' 9 times out of 10. :D

So Cahill is going to do his 'one trick' 9 times out of 10!.....so if we can create Tim say about 6 chances each game, I'd say he should be good for about 4 goals per game!

Watch out Dixie Dean! that record of your is looking a tad under threat :unsure:

Hey everyone our squad looks very strong. I just want to focus on Cahill for a minute.

For me Cahill has been outstanding once again for us this season. Hes playing a bit more defensive and hes doing very well. Winning a lot of ball and not giving up any possession. Hes a quality footballer now and his passing game has really developed. His radar has been a bit off in front of goal but overall he has done very well and is very solid.

I think hes still in our top 3 players.

I do agree with you ET but I have to say I think that he's still better in attack. Whilst he can do the job deeper in midfield, I'd still like to see him pushed forward a bit more in games. He's struggled a bit there I know this season but still he'll get better as the season goes on. Perhaps once Arteta comes back and hopefully he gets pushed forward a bit more, I'm hoping we will see more goals from him.

Didn't see the game, but have to agree with Mike and Romeo that Cahill has been distinctly average this season. His goals mask the fact of how out-of-sorts he has been, which may have to do with he is required to play the ball in the middle, which he isn't the best at. But I'll always have him in the team for his goal threat.

again, i reckon he's average in a defensive position. he seems shackled when playing there, not happy, he needs to be let loose further up the field. when we do have our numbers back in midfield, it has to be Felli or Cahill in that attacking position, theyre just too similar. I would choose Cahill over Felli too, Screech needs to want his place more, he's loping about too much.

I may get a slating for this, but when we have the numbers back, why not rotate? Or at least play them in different styles of game. Skippy is better in dog-fight matches, getting stuck in whereas Felli likes space and time. all i know is that Skippy needs to be further upfield, then we will see the best of him again....

again, i reckon he's average in a defensive position. he seems shackled when playing there, not happy, he needs to be let loose further up the field. when we do have our numbers back in midfield, it has to be Felli or Cahill in that attacking position, theyre just too similar. I would choose Cahill over Felli too, Screech needs to want his place more, he's loping about too much.

I may get a slating for this, but when we have the numbers back, why not rotate? Or at least play them in different styles of game. Skippy is better in dog-fight matches, getting stuck in whereas Felli likes space and time. all i know is that Skippy needs to be further upfield, then we will see the best of him again....

Yep...remember when he was our emergency striker, he seemed a totally different player than he has so far this season.

i think tim has done a decent job back at centre mid altough he is much better playing behind the striker. i think the fact he is that good in that role people expect him to be that good centre mid but he cannot be due to his defensive reqiurements. hopefully felli can finally get to grips with playin deeper and so tim does play behind the strikers.

is it just me or does cahill seem to play better when arteta is in the team, they seem to have a good understanding with each other

is it just me or does cahill seem to play better when arteta is in the team, they seem to have a good understanding with each other

Agreed. I think that with more starts perhaps Bily and Tim could also develop a strong understanding. And even though his overall performance last night left something to be desired, I think the goal demonstrates that he is most effective when further upfield as a scoring threat.

Maybe hes not been as good as previous seasons so far but it is early in the season. I for one realize that no player is consistently good week in - week out. If he stays fit I think he will once again be an important part of the team.

Cahill said: "You cannot buy what we've got here. We keep doing it year after year.

"We've had thin squads but we work together and come through adversity. We play really hard for this club and it is brilliant to be part of it.

"When injuries come up we just deal with it. Results like this are the pinnacle of what we do.

"This is the best squad I've ever played in and the most competitive as everyone is battling for places.

"So while we had a thin squad against Bate we still put out a decent team and one that was capable of getting a good result."

I rate him and if he keeps coming out with stuff like that^^^^ then he'll keep going up in my estimation (and NO, I'm not Australian).