IGNORED

What Is Heitingas Worth? And Distins Long Balls?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the long balls today were a bit of a pisstake but if you're playing this game. Osman was shite, Baines couldnt defend, Bilys corners in teh 2nd half didnt beat the 1st man, Yobos long balls didnt go to one person. Yeah Heitinga was pants in the 1st half, but i thought he was a massive improvement in the 2nd. Distin made some good runs in the 1st half but when he knackered his knee, admittingly he started hoofing? Cahill was pretty poor today, he missed two golden opportunities...and only improved when Fellaini came on.

Oh and i was there :)

There was options he pounded it long every time

I disagree - EVERY time we had the ball in defence or even from throws, VERY rarely did any drop back to collect (which Rodwell is usually effective at) and no-one made themselves available or gave options. This continued until we had 2 up front. It wasnt Heitingas best game but then no-one played well. Distin and Yobo both HAD to hit it long - but at least Distin found a team mate on occasion.

From what i could see when rodwell has been playing well the team have performed and we have done well - when he has not had a great game we have struggled - like today and against Stoke. On one hand its great that the kid can run games for us at his age - on the other its not great that we are seemingly that reliant on him - especially given his age. When Pienaar and Arteta are missing we really have little in the way of creativity hence the long balls.

When rodwell, arteta and Pienaar are playing i think we will be playing the nice flowing, expansive football we have previously seen in flashes...

Edited by 11.sheedy

I disagree - EVERY time we had the ball in defence or even from throws, VERY rarely did any drop back to collect (which Rodwell is usually effective at) and no-one made themselves available or gave options. This continued until we had 2 up front. It wasnt Heitingas best game but then no-one played well. Distin and Yobo both HAD to hit it long - but at least Distin found a team mate on occasion.

From what i could see when rodwell has been playing well the team have performed and we have done well - when he has not had a great game we have struggled - like today and against Stoke. On one hand its great that the kid can run games for us at his age - on the other its not great that we are seemingly that reliant on him - especially given his age. When Pienaar and Arteta are missing we really have little in the way of creativity hence the long balls.

When rodwell, arteta and Pienaar are playing i think we will be playing the nice flowing, expansive football we have previously seen in flashes...

I just feel distin and heitinga are one dimensional. Distin has a heavy touch to. We are better suited with Neill.

I just feel distin and heitinga are one dimensional. Distin has a heavy touch to. We are better suited with Neill.

You have absolutely no idea if we're better suited with Neill coz the fella hasn't played for us yet, so you don't know how he'd fit into our side.

Those long balls were a disgrace though and pissed me right off.

In response to the original question, two words centre half. And for Distins long balls? if theres not an option in midfield what do you do?

I agree 100%

The only good game Hietinga has had for us was against Stoke when he played CB. He is definitely not a midfielder I thought he was absolutely awful in the first half yesterday

As for Distin I am totally bemused as to why people are having a pop at him. If Jags had have been playing do these people think he would have brought the ball out of defense like a latter day Alan Hansen or hoofed it upfield?

When Piennar and Arteta dont play there is nobody in our midfield who shows for the ball, with the possible exception of Roddrs. That is why we never seem to be able to retain possesion and that is why the CBs are playing long balls upfield

Lol I read your post after I had written mine, obviously I agree with you!

That will teach me for not reading all the posts before entering my own!

Edited by StevO

You have absolutely no idea if we're better suited with Neill coz the fella hasn't played for us yet, so you don't know how he'd fit into our side.

Those long balls were a disgrace though and pissed me right off.

Neill keeps possesion better and supports the mids well. He'd allow us to play more free flowing.

I agree 100%

The only good game Hietinga has had for us was against Stoke when he played CB. He is definitely not a midfielder I thought he was absolutely awful in the first half yesterday

As for Distin I am totally bemused as to why people are having a pop at him. If Jags had have been playing do these people think he would have brought the ball out of defense like a latter day Alan Hansen or hoofed it upfield?

When Piennar and Arteta dont play there is nobody in our midfield who shows for the ball, with the possible exception of Roddrs. That is why we never seem to be able to retain possesion and that is why the CBs are playing long balls upfield

Yesterday distins heavy touch closed down short options to keep possesion. He also lacks intensity when on the ball. Make sure you pay special attention next match mate. Look forward to hearing your views.

Edited by StevO

Theres a rumour going around that you are in fact Lucas Neil himself, wait your turn mate like everybody else has to.

If your any good you'll get in soon enough, theres lots of games on the horizon and we will need all of our squad, but 1st off you need to be 100% Fit. ;)

and Stop crying.

I thought hietinga got back a few time during the game and provided some valuable cover, I also think that he's not settled into premier league or our club yet... give the new guys time ffs.

Distin is the most settled because he's played the same position for most of our games and is a premier league player...

I'm sure the new signings will fit in nicely by the end of the season...

Niell will eventually get a go, he was rusty when he started playing for Australia against the Oranje but by the end of the game he was solid... tbh the pace of the EPL is a tad quicker than Aus v Ned and Aus v Oman...

Patience...

Neill keeps possesion better and supports the mids well. He'd allow us to play more free flowing.

Yesterday distins heavy touch closed down short options to keep possesion. He also lacks intensity when on the ball. Make sure you pay special attention next match mate. Look forward to hearing your views.

Shut up you patronising tit I am 42 yrs old I have been watching and playing football long enough to know a good player when I see one

Although I do have to admit I havent got the slightest idea what you are talking about. How do you look intense on the ball? :blink:

Shut up you patronising tit I am 42 yrs old I have been watching and playing football long enough to know a good player when I see one

Although I do have to admit I havent got the slightest idea what you are talking about. How do you look intense on the ball? :blink:

I think he wants distin to spin and step-over his way out of our half.

how can a cb make it more free flowing with no midfield to pass it to?? is he gonna take on the whole fuckin team on his own! if so then he wouldnt have been on a free! now as they say if you aint got summat good to say fuck off! or summat along those lines...youre gettin to milky standards now

I have been pleased with Johnny so far. He carries the ball well, always wants to get the ball moving forward. The problem is that he is being mved arond the team all the time. I dont think he has consecutivly played in the same position yet. Being swapped around from CB to RB to DM, it's hardly going to be easy to cement yourself is it? However he has still showed his class in parts. Can celarly make a pass, is composed on the ball, plus he is willing to help organise a defence and is vocal at the back, unlike "captain" yobo who never seems to put that sort of effort in.

Age has nothing to do with debates.

Quite simply a lack of intensity on the ball, means he takes to long to release it. Which allows opposing team players to close him down and squeeze our open players, which means he has to play the long ball every time.

hes obviously not a midfielder...played some cracking passes when at cb against stoke and had a decent game at right back...moyes messed up playing such a negative formation the team that started the second half should have started the game...but first and foremost heitinga is quite obviously not a midfielder so cant be criticised if hes not got a set position

i agree with stevo...would you pass the ball to osman knowing full well he'll lose it? the reason we play so much better when we have pienaar and arteta is because they're the only 2 skilful midfielders we have, the only ones capable of retaining possession. if you've got not midfield to pass to then as a defender you're going to look to your strikers...it's the same as when people get on strikers backs for not scoring enough (beattie and aj) when you don't get the service then you can't do anything about it. our midfield is very very poor without mikky and peanuts...very!

i agree with stevo...would you pass the ball to osman knowing full well he'll lose it? the reason we play so much better when we have pienaar and arteta is because they're the only 2 skilful midfielders we have, the only ones capable of retaining possession. if you've got not midfield to pass to then as a defender you're going to look to your strikers...it's the same as when people get on strikers backs for not scoring enough (beattie and aj) when you don't get the service then you can't do anything about it. our midfield is very very poor without mikky and peanuts...very!

even worse when rodwell seems off the pace...we can get away with it when he is on his game but cant expect so much from a young kid every week

Let's not forget young jack was suffering a virus a few weeks back, though I expected him to have bounced back after the 2 week break.

I personally think he's also being overplayed atm.

Think hibbo should have been benched, Johnny H at RB, yak on from start... maybe we can't do that yet because of his injury recovery? Perhaps starting with Jo then..

Age has nothing to do with debates.

Quite simply a lack of intensity on the ball, means he takes to long to release it. Which allows opposing team players to close him down and squeeze our open players, which means he has to play the long ball every time.

I was merely pointing out that I have seen and played enough football in my life to recognise a good footballer when I see one without you telling me what I need to look out for.

You seem to be completely missing the point. None of our midfielders were coming short to make themselves available for a simple ball for the CBs so they had no choice but to hit it long

You seem to be blinded by your love affair with Lucas Niell to be able to see things objectively

Nobody is saying thhat Niell is a bad player and Im sure once he gets his chance he will do well, only time will tell. But you seem to be trying to start a witch hunt against Distin in order to give him that chance