IGNORED

The Bright Side

MikeO

This time last year we had eight points from eight games and were out of Europe and the Carling Cup :) .

Guess you could argue that the reason we managed to recover to fifth and reach the cup final was because we were out of Europe and the CC :unsure: .

Still, on the face of it this year is better. Isn't it :mellow: ?

All in all I think it's going to be a crazy season.Anyone putting together a really decent season could win the prem.To be honest if we'd started the season with Arteta, Jags, Yakubu I think we would be in and around the top.We've got injuries (who hasn't) a couple of new players bedding in a young lad in a central midfield position!

Watching the Wolves game I kinda got the impression that Neville sitting in front of the defence, with his battling style would have added something.That was where we looked so poor.

That plus the obvious skills of Pienaar and Arteta, a fully fit Yak and Jags in defence.

It's the old chestnut "when we get xxxxxxxxx back and xxxxxxxxx back we will be spot on, great first team etc etc" As is the way with football in the premiership, the game is played at such pace, tough tackles, added Euro games, there are going to be injuries, which leads to the fans cursing the bad luck. I recall a few years back we had our first 11 fit for an uninterupted time - we got lucky, they got into a pattern of play and the team performed well. We have to be in a position where when an Arteta is injured, we have someone adequate to replace his creativity at the centre of the park (which would cost us £15m plus - Moutino IMO)

The other day against Wolves seen us revert to long ball after long ball, with a centre half/right back playing in Midfield - I hoped we hgad come away from that, we were playing a newly promoted team and we were the ones who looked newly promoted.

We are pretty much desperate for Jags and Arteta and Pienaar to get back, it will allow us so much variety in what we can do, a fit again Yak should form a good partnership with Saha. So we wait in hope,,,,,,,,

It's the old chestnut "when we get xxxxxxxxx back and xxxxxxxxx back we will be spot on, great first team etc etc" As is the way with football in the premiership, the game is played at such pace, tough tackles, added Euro games, there are going to be injuries, which leads to the fans cursing the bad luck. I recall a few years back we had our first 11 fit for an uninterupted time - we got lucky, they got into a pattern of play and the team performed well. We have to be in a position where when an Arteta is injured, we have someone adequate to replace his creativity at the centre of the park (which would cost us £15m plus - Moutino IMO)

The other day against Wolves seen us revert to long ball after long ball, with a centre half/right back playing in Midfield - I hoped we hgad come away from that, we were playing a newly promoted team and we were the ones who looked newly promoted.

We are pretty much desperate for Jags and Arteta and Pienaar to get back, it will allow us so much variety in what we can do, a fit again Yak should form a good partnership with Saha. So we wait in hope,,,,,,,,

Nice to see you keeping Mikes positive buzz going, I remember last year at this time because I went to belgium and it wasn't much fun :(

Not many teams have replacements for their star players, I dont know why Everton would be an exception, Livercrap look pretty ordinary without Steve G and Torres, but then who wouldn't.

With a bit of luck and our creative players back I think we will start to do a bit of damage

i think were just waiting to batter someone 4 or 5 nil, we need a bit more confidence and the boys are finding it hard to get the 1st goal

i dont want to be out of Europe, the way were playing each game is exciting, we dont want to just focus on the prem, we can be a lot more

cant wait for jags and arteta to be back

i think were just waiting to batter someone 4 or 5 nil, we need a bit more confidence and the boys are finding it hard to get the 1st goal

i dont want to be out of Europe, the way were playing each game is exciting, we dont want to just focus on the prem, we can be a lot more

cant wait for jags and arteta to be back

Lol I would be happy if we could batter somebody 1-0 at the moment!

i must say altough i haven't been too impressed with our start to the season somebody pointed out to me after the wolves game we have't actually lost in 7 games and we've only lost 3 in 13 games. this doesn't sound like a bad start considering the absence of key players and the new lads still trying to settle in the squad/league.

however what i have noticed is we have't been able to 'steam roll' teams into submission like last season, where we seemed to destroy teams below us and we also had a good record against the teams competing with us

on top of that my biggest worry so far this season has been moyes. i have always been a fan of davey and i felt last season he was finally coming out of his neagtivety and naiveity in tactics, but this year we have taken a step back and his tactics have been poor especially his substitutions.

hopefully in a few weeks we'll start to kick on and get more points on the board to challenge the top 4!

well said MikeO. Dont forget everyone, we still have people in the team that will improve with more premiership experience; Rodwell, Billy, Johnny... When we get people back it will give us more depth too, and at least we're still in all the competitions (at least i think we are, the last 4 weeks have all blended together!). Keep the faith y'all! was only a couple of weeks ago where we went 4 games and scoring 13 goals (or something similar) without reply. So we hit a blip, so what! Stevie P is back in a couple of games and Arteta back shortly after him (fingers crossed).

There is no reason why we cant improve on last years performances, we have the squad and potential. We just need (a little more) patience...

well said MikeO. Dont forget everyone, we still have people in the team that will improve with more premiership experience; Rodwell, Billy, Johnny... When we get people back it will give us more depth too, and at least we're still in all the competitions (at least i think we are, the last 4 weeks have all blended together!). Keep the faith y'all! was only a couple of weeks ago where we went 4 games and scoring 13 goals (or something similar) without reply. So we hit a blip, so what! Stevie P is back in a couple of games and Arteta back shortly after him (fingers crossed).

There is no reason why we cant improve on last years performances, we have the squad and potential. We just need (a little more) patience...

Lol I can hear what your saying and its nice to hear a positive spin on things but I can think of 4 major reasons why we wont improve on last seasons performance straight away namely Man City Spurs Villa & Sunderland!

I thought it in the summer and nothing so far has changed my mind I think realisticly a top 10 finish and maybe a good cup run is the best we can hope for this year.

I just think that by the time we get all the injured players back and performing to the best of thier ability and the side starts to settle into any kind of rythm the season will be pretty much over

Lol I can hear what your saying and its nice to hear a positive spin on things but I can think of 4 major reasons why we wont improve on last seasons performance straight away namely Man City Spurs Villa & Sunderland!

Think you're right sadly. We need to get on a decent run...unbeaten in seven sounds good on paper but those last two games we needed to win (thought it was Liverpool's trick to drop points at home against the "lesser" teams :( ).

Bear in mind that we have thirty games left and exactly half of them are against the "big" four and the "other" four mentioned above. The plus side is that they're all going to be taking points off each other. Going to be an interesting season.