IGNORED

Missing Jimmys Quizzes.

Bill

I think a few peeps have missed jimmys quizzes so i thought i would give you an easy one to get you started again . PM me with your answers so as to give everybody a chance at having a go at it.

I will announce the winner in a couple of days.

1- What was the password for the D Day invasion.

2- Which American state has no borders.

3- When did the queen and prince Philip marry.

4- Dads Army is based in which town.

5- What is the former name of Istanbul.

6- The real name for the Daddy Longlegs please.

7- What is the most common name for a Pub.

8- John wayne won only one Oscar - Which Film.

9- Who flopped at the 1968 Olympics but still won a Gold Medal.

10- What was the name of TVs Blue Peters first dog.

11- Name the person who shot John Lennon.

12- What does MASH stand for in the TV series.

13- The name for a person who makes Arrows.

14- What school did Billy Bunter go to.

15- The Grand National Steeplechase at Aintree is how long.

16- If struck by Lightning which of the 5 senses are you most likely to lose.

17- Write ninety nine in Roman Numerals.

18- Which Brewery own the Rovers Return in coronation street.

19- We know who won the Cup in 1953 but who were the beaten semi finalists.

I expect at least 18 out of 19 to be the target.

I think a few peeps have missed jimmys quizzes so i thought i would give you an easy one to get you started again . PM me with your answers so as to give everybody a chance at having a go at it.

I will announce the winner in a couple of days.

1- What was the password for the D Day invasion. Overlord.

2- Which American state has no borders. Hawaii.

3- When did the queen and prince Philip marry. Pass.

4- Dads Army is based in which town. Warmington-on-sea.

5- What is the former name of Istanbul.Pass.

6- The real name for the Daddy Longlegs please.My Daughter has many for this insect! None of them correct....or nice.

7- What is the most common name for a Pub.Red Lion.

8- John wayne won only one Oscar - Which Film.True Grit.

9- Who flopped at the 1968 Olympics but still won a Gold Medal.High jump chap.

10- What was the name of TVs Blue Peters first dog.Petra.

11- Name the person who shot John Lennon.Lee Harvey Oswold..well he probably didn't shoot president Kennedy either.Pass

12- What does MASH stand for in the TV series.Millitary...Air...Station....Hospital :blink:

13- The name for a person who makes Arrows.Archer.

14- What school did Billy Bunter go to.Wasn't there one in every school? Pass.

15- The Grand National Steeplechase at Aintree is how long.Pass.

16- If struck by Lightning which of the 5 senses are you most likely to lose.Taste....or smell, maybe half a point.

17- Write ninety nine in Roman Numerals. 00!;>...not only is that 99, but it's written in very old roman text...surely a bonus!

18- Which Brewery own the Rovers Return in coronation street.Newton & Riddley.

19- We know who won the Cup in 1953 but who were the beaten semi finalists.Pass.

I expect at least 18 out of 19 to be the target.....Then you expect too much :angry:

blue mate...christ almighty why do that?? i seem to remember you doing this a few times with the old google..apologies if that wasnt you but im sure it was!

If he's googled it he's not done a very good job....six or seven passes and (at least) two wrong or inaccurate answers.

Think of it as 250's compendium of clues....with the odd red herring :P .

blue mate...christ almighty why do that?? i seem to remember you doing this a few times with the old google..apologies if that wasnt you but im sure it was!

Yeah some peeps only see what they want to see, but he has'nt spoilt it because 6 out of 19 is a very poor return.

Blue250 can go stand in the corner with the Dunces hat on. :D

3 peeps have returned so far and theres only one answer between them, i thought questions 1 and 17 would cause the most trouble in an otherwise fairly easy quiz.

Will name the winner tomorrow night and start another quiz on Friday morning.

Be warned they will get progressively harder. :P

Never googled a quiz in my life!.....not about to start down that sad road now either!

Probably also never read a post properly either, could be why I missed the PM bit.I seem to remember people putting their answers up for everyone to see! maybe a long time ago, but I'm sure they did!

Answers were top of the head spur of the moment, guess that's how it should be.Most will probably google or ask someone else the answer, that's up to them.

crap!....better start reading the friggin posts properly, I suppose I lost my bonus point because of that :(

3 peeps have returned so far and theres only one answer between them, i thought questions 1 and 17 would cause the most trouble in an otherwise fairly easy quiz.

Will name the winner tomorrow night and start another quiz on Friday morning.

Be warned they will get progressively harder. :P

Progressively harder!!......That will just make people google all the more!

I was just looking at this thread, with me getting more stick for not reading the question properly than the bloke who shot John Lennon...all that head shaking :sad01_anim: and finger pointing!....and thinking that most who have answered, DIDN'T answer without a tad of help.....to me that's sadder than me jumping in both feet and answering top of head........I will stand in the corner with a dunce hat on, to be joined later by a few wearing ones saying cheat ;)

Blue, dont take it too seriously, its a fun quiz and gives peeps something to do.

If you do have to google to get some of the answers, it will be for something you didnt know before, in which case you are learning all the time and adding to your intellect. :D

Have a bit of fun mate, ;)

PS .... your well down the list, still got time to google. :D

Blue, dont take it too seriously, its a fun quiz and gives peeps something to do.

If you do have to google to get some of the answers, it will be for something you didnt know before, in which case you are learning all the time and adding to your intellect. :D

Have a bit of fun mate, ;)

PS .... your well down the list, still got time to google. :D

The next internet quiz I take seriously....will be my first, sure it's fun,eerrmmm just check my answers and I'm sure even you will see fun is something I do take seriously :rolleyes: I won't if you don't mind try and improve my position on your 'list' by Googling :blink: can't really see the point in that!

I guess I'll just have to live with the knowledge that I just don't know when the Queen got married, though I am really looking forward to when the answers are anounced! :lol:

I guess I'll just have to live with the knowledge that I just don't know when the Queen got married...

In which case just thank your lucky stars that you're not the Duke of Edinburgh...or you'd be off to the Tower sharpish!

(You're not the Duke of Edinburgh are you :mellow: ? I know they've got a week-end place round your way somewhere....maybe you are :o ! The secret's out....250 is shagging one's majesty :lol: )

(Note to Bill....that's worth a bonus point surely?)

In which case just thank your lucky stars that you're not the Duke of Edinburgh...or you'd be off to the Tower sharpish!

(You're not the Duke of Edinburgh are you :mellow: ? I know they've got a week-end place round your way somewhere....maybe you are :o ! The secret's out....250 is shagging one's majesty :lol: )

(Note to Bill....that's worth a bonus point surely?)

I'm not too sure the old Duke can really remember when he got married, he probably has a servant who reminds him!.....or maybe he Googles :rolleyes: Your right MikeO they do live just round the corner, in the big house with a flag in the garden.I've seen his good lady out driving in ones range rover a few times....have tried to look sexy as she's gone by, but this is usually met with a white gloved middle finger and a swerve!

So who ever told you I was ' shagging ' her majesty, is obviously just jealous of my high score in bills first quiz :(

Ok peeps here we go in reverse order ..............

3rd PLACE .... A Tie between, Rubecula and Jimmy the Blue, with 16 points

2nd PLACE .....Marcopaulo with 18 points foiled only by 3/4 of a mile short in the grand National.

1st PLACE and top quiz master is Iggy with all correct and here they are ......

Sent Yesterday, 10:41 AM

1- What was the password for the D Day invasion. MICKEY MOUSE

2- Which American state has no borders. HAWAII

3- When did the queen and prince Philip marry. 20/11/47

4- Dads Army is based in which town. WALMINGTON (Sp) ON SEA

5- What is the former name of Istanbul. CONSTANTINOPLE

6- The real name for the Daddy Longlegs please. CRANE FLY

7- What is the most common name for a Pub. RED LION

8- John wayne won only one Oscar - Which Film. TRUE GRIT

9- Who flopped at the 1968 Olympics but still won a Gold Medal. DICK FOSBURY

10- What was the name of TVs Blue Peters first dog. PETRA

11- Name the person who shot John Lennon. MARK CHAPMAN

12- What does MASH stand for in the TV series. MOBILE ARMY SURGICAL HOSPITAL

13- The name for a person who makes Arrows. FLETCHER

14- What school did Billy Bunter go to. GREYFRIARS

15- The Grand National Steeplechase at Aintree is how long. 4 1/2 MILES (ISH)

16- If struck by Lightning which of the 5 senses are you most likely to lose. HEARING

17- Write ninety nine in Roman Numerals. XCIC

18- Which Brewery own the Rovers Return in coronation street. NEWTON & RIDLEY

19- We know who won the Cup in 1953 but who were the beaten semi finalists. EVERTON! & THE YIDS

Thanks to all those who entered,i didnt realise we had so many intellects on the forum. :D

And it was nice to get an Email entry from Jimmy, who passes on his best wishes to everybody.

Is it ok to query an answer. Not complaining about getting it wrong, I just don't understand the answer.

Question 17, the roman numerals.

C = 100

XC = 90

XCIC = 9099 then ???

IC = one less than 100 ie 99

I know IC is the wrong answer now, but I don't understand why. Wouldn't it be XCIX with your method???

Is it ok to query an answer. Not complaining about getting it wrong, I just don't understand the answer.

Question 17, the roman numerals.

C = 100

XC = 90

XCIC = 9099 then ???

IC = one less than 100 ie 99

I know IC is the wrong answer now, but I don't understand why. Wouldn't it be XCIX with your method???

You are right Rubes, the correct answer is XCIX and is what I meant to type, but if Bill is going to let me off with a typo all well and good!

http://www.lexcentrics.com/lists/Ancient_Rome/roman_numerals.stm

Edited by iggy

Yes you can question if you like, first of all the numbers and numerals .......

Numeral ... Number

I ........ 1

V ........ 5

X ........ 10

L ........ 50

C ........ 100

D ........ 500

M ........ 1000

Then you need to read this .....

Subject: Re: Roman Numerals

These are the limits on the use of the subtraction method, according

to the modern rules of Roman numerals:

I. You can only subtract I, X, C, etc. (powers of 10; not V, L, or D).

II. You can only subtract a single letter from a single numeral (no IIX or IXX).

III. What you are subtracting cannot be any smaller than 1/10 of what

you are subtracting it from. You can only subtract I from V or X,

and X from L or C (MIM is not allowed).

Here is a positive way to look at it. When converting an Arabic numeral

to a Roman numeral, convert it one digit at a time. Write each piece as

a Roman numeral, then stick them all together left to right.

For instance,

1999 = 1000 + 900 + 90 + 9

........ = M + .CM + .XC + IX

........ = MCMXCIX

By your reasoning the date for 1999 above would be IMM but its not done that way, you can see the 99 written down in the example. I hope that helps.

Yes you can always question an answer but remember, the judges decision is always final. :D