IGNORED

Injuries

bassman

freak accidents seem to be occurring with alarming regularity, maybe if our players knees (whatever) were stronger they wouldn't be so prone to freak injuries when they jump for a header. It's just a thought and maybe it is purely bad luck, but questions should be asked imo. Liverpool had a lot of injuries when Phil Boersma was in charge of training, I doubt he went around actually injuring players himself. Sometimes the training can be to blame.

Of the knee injuries Neville, Piennar & Anichebe got thier injuries as a result of bad tackles sustained during competritive games so they cant be put down to anything in training

Jags just landed awkwardly and Arteta got his stoods caught in the turf as he turned. Yak was just unlucky

Thier is no conspiracy and to look for a scapegoat like Steve Round is absurd

If the injuries were all niggling strains etc then maybe you could look at the training

But as somebody else pointed out Vaughn want even at the club when he got injured, Yobo was a head injury picked up in a game, Yak is bound to pick up some niggling injuries after being out for so long so that only leaves Baines, Osman & Bily's injuries and given the amount of games they are being asked to play its hardly surprising that we pick up one or two knocks

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

freak accidents seem to be occurring with alarming regularity, maybe if our players knees (whatever) were stronger they wouldn't be so prone to freak injuries when they jump for a header. It's just a thought and maybe it is purely bad luck, but questions should be asked imo. Liverpool had a lot of injuries when Phil Boersma was in charge of training, I doubt he went around actually injuring players himself. Sometimes the training can be to blame.

after reading jayc3's last comments then, then reading your first line carl, i drew the same conclusion. You say freak accident jay, but these accidents could happen due, to as people have stated, weak joints or some kind of strenious training regime that may weaken certain areas of the leg, i really dont know, i dont wanna get embroiled in this argument by the way, its just something i picked up when reading your comments just before

It depends where the injuries are happening doesnt it. If its during training, then it means different from an in game injury. Newcastle's training ground is infamous for getting players injured. Could well be the exercise regimen as well, some players are not suited to a particular one. Torres remains fit for us most of the time but the chances of him getting crocked increase the moment he goes away on international duty with Spain. God knows what they do to him. On the other hand, some players are just injury prone... like Van Der Meyde. He could be chopping parsley and he'd still do his knee somehow.

Of the knee injuries Neville, Piennar & Anichebe got thier injuries as a result of bad tackles sustained during competritive games so they cant be put down to anything in training

Jags just landed awkwardly and Arteta got his stoods caught in the turf as he turned. Yak was just unlucky

Thier is no conspiracy and to look for a scapegoat like Steve Round is absurd

If the injuries were all niggling strains etc then maybe you could look at the training

But as somebody else pointed out Vaughn want even at the club when he got injured, Yobo was a head injury picked up in a game, Yak is bound to pick up some niggling injuries after being out for so long so that only leaves Baines, Osman & Bily's injuries and given the amount of games they are being asked to play its hardly surprising that we pick up one or two knocks

Vaughan and VDM are irrelevant as they are obviously just injury prone, but as you said - Arteta, Jags AND Yakubu all picked up 'freak' injuries within the space of roughly 12 months since Round has been coach, how many 'freak' serious injuries did we have when Irvine was in charge? we must have had more injuries in the last 15 months than the previous 4 or so years under Irvine's training regimes and none can really be blamed on the new boots and metatarsals. Injuries like Anichebes are unavoidable, some of the others seemed to be picked up far too easily. As you think, it may be coincidence but you can't blame me for seeing a pattern emerging and looking for possible answers.

ok here's my two cents re: increased injuries over the past 2-3 seasons.

The boys are playing much, much harder than average, i think, due to;

a.) other players being injured

b.) increased expectations for performance (league position, UEFA/Europa)

Its a vicious cycle.

We've got a pretty loyal bunch and i do think they (most of them, most of the time) give all they've got when they get out there.

i tend to think there is something wrong with the training methods. There are very few truly "freak" accidents. Landing awkwardly, catching studs, falling poorly should not result in 3 torn ACLs. It may not be directly caused by Round, but there is definitely a correlation that should be taken note of. As for Vaughn being at Derby when he picked up the most recent injury...he hadn't been training with them long enough to have any significant effect on the strength (muscular and otherwise) of his knee, if the injury was due to poor training, it was training he did while at Everton.

I hope the board brings in an outside physio for a while to examine/evaluate the methods employed by Round and staff and make sure that the correlation is not causal. If it is, either tell him to change methods or drop him. We can't sustain any more (preventable?) injuries and we need to eliminate any possible factors in their occurrence.

It is certainly true that poor or excessive training methods can result in fatigue or the weakening of joints etc etc. I very much doubt it would be down to poor training methods as its 2009 not 1909, we have sports scientist who measure all this crap so I doubt it is that. As someone mentioned earlier it is most probably down to the large number of games (club and country) and the fact that the squad is being strethed due to injuries to other players. Add this to the fact that normally at Everton we press lots, get stuck and are generally quite fiesty on the pitch, these will add more stresses to the joints/muscles etc (like the challenges on Neville & Pienaar) and knocks can be easily picked up. If your tired then your more likely to get injured so all these factors will come into play. Add to this a little/large sprinkling of bad luck and viola you currently have the Everton injury list!

If you read my last post, Pienaar may not feature for a while yet (if the lad was being truthful).

sorry mate, im confused now. The link says:

"Joseph Yobo (head), Steven Pienaar (knee), Leighton Baines (calf) and Diniyar Bilyaletdinov (thigh) are all being given every chance ahead of Saturdays game...."

which previous post?

just found your post. Kipper or Newspaper, which is more reliable (and im not being sarcastic here either, i dont get to read either really)?

Edited by galacticaracnid

God help us ! is this supposed to be the thinking mans forum ????? oh, I keep forgetting, its half term isn't it ! yeah it must be that Steve Round fella giving them all wobbly knees :blink:

When did I mention Steve Round? Mick rathbone himself said that if you keep getting similar injuries in a squad over a sustained period of time, there comes a point when you've got to start wondering if its more than bad luck. Some of us are simply raising the question of whether that point has now been reached, so you can shove your smarmy 'thinking mans forum' b@llox where the sun don't shine!

Devastating news we need to try and get in a replacement in January (Moutinho!)

its also in the Echo

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2009/11/04/everton-fc-rocked-by-fresh-mikel-arteta-injury-anguish-100252-25086249/

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic