IGNORED

Moyes: I'll Take Responsibility But It's Not My Fault

Louis

http://www.mirrorfoo...icle199597.html

David Moyes insists he predicted Everton's current doomsday scenario – but was powerless to stop it occurring.

A lack of cash in the summer forced the Toffees boss to go into the campaign light on numbers and heavy on hope.

But Moyes (right) has watched with a mixture of anger and frustration as his players have dropped like flies so far this season.

The crisis hit its lowest point when his injury-ravaged team crashed to their record European defeat, losing 5-0 to Benfica on Thursday.

The Scot refuses to blame the club's moneymen for Everton's current predicament, although he is pleading with them to make sure it never happens again.

Moyes admitted: "It is not a surprise. We can't turn away and say we didn't know this was coming.

"We can't turn away and say we didn't know we would have injuries at the start of the season.

"As a manager I take full responsibility, but I have to say I have been letting the people who need to know that this is the situation.

"What none of us could see was the extra injuries to Phil Neville and Steven Pienaar.

"I knew it would happen, but finances dictated what went on in the summer and that was evident in that most of our business was done in the last four days of the transfer window.

"I will take responsibility for it, but I am not just taking this and doing nothing about it. I am passing it on as well."

Moyes was without 11 first-team players in Portugal and his nightmare will continue today, with Russian winger Diniyar Bilyaletdinov added to the list.

Lucas Neill and John Heitinga were ineligible for the Benfica defeat and are back in the reckoning for today's clash with Bolton.

But Moyes has warned Everton's fans not to expect an instant recovery.

He added: "I think the recovery this year might take longer than it has in the past because of the kind of injuries we have.

"At the moment we want to hang in there with the teams above us and hope we have a stronger second half to the season."

Don't think our squad is massively smaller than anyone elses to be honest (apart from a few notable exceptions).

Take eleven first-teamers out of any side and they'd struggle (with the possible exception of ManU, Arse & Chelsea).....specially if seven or eight of them are automatic frist choices. If it's something in our training methods making us susceptible to injury then apportion blame certainly but if it's just bad luck then it's nobodies fault surely?

Yeh I agree too... Another example of this was after Elstone came out and said we had spent more money that the sale of Lescott in the transfer window yet wabout 48hrs later (ish) Moyes came out and said that he didnt have any more money available to him than what he spent after the sale of Lescott.

I dont blame him, and while I admit he can be tactically unaware at times, I dont see any other manager doing what he has done at Everton. We need some money desperately and we also need some luck. In the second half today our defence looked fairly solid and not susseptible (sp) to the long balls of Bolton (like we did in the first half) and then our injury curse strikes again and Heitinga goes down. Yes we needed more bodies in before the start of the season but no-one could have predicted this kind of injury plague!

To a certain extent I sympathise with Moyes's frustrations - I think every Everton fan shares them - but do we really want the manager coming out time and time again moaning about injuries/lack of cash? Probably more than any manager in the league bar Ferguson, Moyes seems to set the tone for how we play - when his head isn't right, when his head drops and he only seems to talk about the negative things (like start of last season with his contract saga), we play shite. When he's up for the fight and gets the bit between the teeth, we look a different side and capable of upsetting any kind of odds.

I know our injury situation is terrible at the moment, but I'm sick of Moyes bleating on about it to be honest. His pre-match press conferences seem to just be him constantly seeting out his stall of excuses in preparation for a poor result - it sends totally the wrong message out to the team, no wonder we look 'soft-centred' when our supposedly inspirational manager is writing us off all the time! Come on Davey lad, get your head up and start fighting again, we're Everton ffs, the last couple of weeks we look like a team that has given up already!

As for the injuries... I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago Mick Rathbone saying if this was a re-current problem we'd have to start looking at whether our training methods were contributing at all, but in hi opinion it was just bad luck. Well how many times does it have to recur before you start to think it's a problem?! I remember years ago talking to a red who said there was a widely-held belief at Anfield during Souness's time in charge that his training methods were overly physical and players kept dropping like flies as a result. I think the Everton backroom staff have to start looking seriously whether this is a possible cause of our problems and try changing something quick, coz we can't keep going like this.

To be honest why would he stay. No real board backing (possibly not their fault if they don't have the money)and no real place to take the club in their current situation. As much as I hate to say it I think somehow over the last 4-5 years we have tended to over achieve. We have made some marque signings Yak/Felli etc but 1 a season is not enough for a club saying they want to break the top 4. We have got amazingly lucky with players like cahill lescott jags peinar arteta who have surpassed their transfer fees but in reality we are seeing now we need alot more than a good first team.

I don't think anyone is to blame it's just the luck of the draw but I am dissapointed

I really don't think the injuries we'v suffered are down to training. Almost all of them have come in games and have been freakish ligament issues. If we were suffering a lot of recurring muscle injuries then that would be a different thing, but I don't see how any medical staff could have prevented what happened to Jags, Arteta, Yak, Neville, Anichebe or Pienaar.

Davey knows he ain't gonna get United and any other "top four" team so the only place i can see him going is Newcastle when they get bought, come up and have millions to spend. I can see this season being a write off in the league and doing well in the cups.

Poisoned chalice IMO.

If he does leave, I reckon it'll be to Celtic. No cash there at the moment, but a very good chance to win something and experience the champions league (if only the qualifiers!)

I really don't think the injuries we'v suffered are down to training. Almost all of them have come in games and have been freakish ligament issues. If we were suffering a lot of recurring muscle injuries then that would be a different thing, but I don't see how any medical staff could have prevented what happened to Jags, Arteta, Yak, Neville, Anichebe or Pienaar.

Of course. Nothing can prevent injuries from getting hacked at in games. That just happens. It's unlucky, but we couldn't prevent it.

Basically, Everton are a club treading water, but sooner rather than later they're going to start to sink. I don't see any progress, only the probability of decline. Because while Everton stay much the same, their rivals are improving. What's the club's best-case scenario without going on a massive spending spree? Finishing fifth every year.

But Aston Villa, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur are richer, more talented, more ambitious and growing.

Everton are falling behind those three, So they're looking at slipping to eighth place.

Then factor in the new money and momentum at Sunderland and even perhaps Birmingham City, and Everton could be overtaken by those two as well in the coming years.

This is what i have already said in another thread, so i agree whole heartedly with whats been said in that article.

What I'm saying is that these are Moyes' players, he coaches them, he picks the tactics (or lack of tactics) etc etc. He is responsible for us playing long ball, why we don't pass and move, why we can't actually play football after all this time of him being in charge here. I like Moyes, but he's never going to be a great manager because he hasn't learnt any lessons or changed his thinking (way of football), so he's the reason his reputation will be in decline, not Everton Football Club. So Cascarino can shove that shit up his arse.

Oh, and he's not good enough to manage a top 4 side anyway IMO.

This is what i have already said in another thread, so i agree whole heartedly with whats been said in that article.

But that's been being said by anyone and everyone for years now, substituting any and every other team that's had investment (Newcastle, Portsmouth, West Ham etc etc).

It's not a difficult thing to say and it's been a likely scenario for a long time but now (temporarily in my view) it carries a bit of weight because we're struggling.

Cascarino is merely stating the blindingly obvious, repeating the same old "overachieving" chestnut. Wow...great insight.

What I'm saying is that these are Moyes' players, he coaches them, he picks the tactics (or lack of tactics) etc etc. He is responsible for us playing long ball, why we don't pass and move, why we can't actually play football after all this time of him being in charge here. I like Moyes, but he's never going to be a great manager because he hasn't learnt any lessons or changed his thinking (way of football), so he's the reason his reputation will be in decline, not Everton Football Club. So Cascarino can shove that shit up his arse.

Oh, and he's not good enough to manage a top 4 side anyway IMO.

Moyes has probably watched his team/squad of limited tactics, limited funds etc, finish 4th once, 5th a coulpe of times and thought why can't it happen again!To be honest more luck last season and this with injuries and we would certainly have pushed for 4th last season and would be around 5th/6th this season or even better.He also got us to a cup final, that with a fully fit team we maybe could have won!.....so that's probably why he isn't changing too much.surely nearly everyone connected with Everton FC are pissed off with the way things are going this season, I know I am.We are playing weak players using tactics that are pretty inept and were being punished, and it's probably not going to change too much untill probably our three best players Arteta, Jags and Pienaar are back, Nevilles back in there fighting away, Saha's on fire...when he's fit, the Yak was out a long time and isn't there yet...and one or two squad players that give us options ie Osman and Anichebe....only then will we be able to completley judge Moyes.

Hasn't Moyes won manager of the year 3 times in recent years, I just think crap tactics or not without our injury problems (The worst in the prem) we would be up there with Spurs Man City etc and maybe top of our Europa league group (a full squad against Benfica this week, I think we would have won).I want to see better football being played, I want Cahill to up his game this season, I want to see our players back.

Moyes has taken Everton from relegation material to top 4, and top 5 the last two seasons.The footballs not always pretty, but he did get us there, If we can't compete with with teams with huge funds, that's not Moyes' fault is it.

His tactics are his fault, the team he puts out are down to him....I guess what he'd really like, and I'm sure it's something that would influence his tactics is a team sheet including......Arteta, Pienaar, Jagielka, Neville, Saha, (a fit Yakubu), Osman, plus a few others.....add to that a Cahill playing like he has previous seasons.Because without them he must be banging his head against the wall.

We are what we are, like it or not.

I don't think Moyes is a great manager.....I do think he is a very good one to do what he did with Everton FC in the last few seasons.

How's Rafa looking if Gerrard and Torres dip out for a few months, and he's spent probably 4 times as much as Moyes.If you can't keep your best men fit, your team won't do so well, will they!

Moyes has probably watched his team/squad of limited tactics, limited funds etc, finish 4th once, 5th a coulpe of times and thought why can't it happen again!To be honest more luck last season and this with injuries and we would certainly have pushed for 4th last season and would be around 5th/6th this season or even better.He also got us to a cup final, that with a fully fit team we maybe could have won!.....so that's probably why he isn't changing too much.surely nearly everyone connected with Everton FC are pissed off with the way things are going this season, I know I am.We are playing weak players using tactics that are pretty inept and were being punished, and it's probably not going to change too much untill probably our three best players Arteta, Jags and Pienaar are back, Nevilles back in there fighting away, Saha's on fire...when he's fit, the Yak was out a long time and isn't there yet...and one or two squad players that give us options ie Osman and Anichebe....only then will we be able to completley judge Moyes.

Hasn't Moyes won manager of the year 3 times in recent years, I just think crap tactics or not without our injury problems (The worst in the prem) we would be up there with Spurs Man City etc and maybe top of our Europa league group (a full squad against Benfica this week, I think we would have won).I want to see better football being played, I want Cahill to up his game this season, I want to see our players back.

Moyes has taken Everton from relegation material to top 4, and top 5 the last two seasons.The footballs not always pretty, but he did get us there, If we can't compete with with teams with huge funds, that's not Moyes' fault is it.

His tactics are his fault, the team he puts out are down to him....I guess what he'd really like, and I'm sure it's something that would influence his tactics is a team sheet including......Arteta, Pienaar, Jagielka, Neville, Saha, (a fit Yakubu), Osman, plus a few others.....add to that a Cahill playing like he has previous seasons.Because without them he must be banging his head against the wall.

We are what we are, like it or not.

I don't think Moyes is a great manager.....I do think he is a very good one to do what he did with Everton FC in the last few seasons.

How's Rafa looking if Gerrard and Torres dip out for a few months, and he's spent probably 4 times as much as Moyes.If you can't keep your best men fit, your team won't do so well, will they!

I totally understand where you're coming from, but when the tactics that have been successful are found out by other sides and nullified then you have to evolve and find a new method. This season and to some extent last season we have been found out and the tactics that have served us well and made us successful have been nullified brilliantly by other sides, and IMO Moyes is incapable of evolving his way of thinking and finding us a new to be successful (actually playing football and trying to win games would be my choice). He's as one dimensional as Cahill is.