IGNORED

Johnson Not Worth 8.5 Million

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont remember watching Everton play long ball football for the last 2 seasons, last 10 to 15 with the big man up front yes but he's gone now!

What Everton have done over the past season especially is play through the midfield and then spread it out wide where we play good one touch football in tight spaces and make space for a cross!

I think the work we need to do to add to that is hitting the by line every now an then and stop spreading the play every time and start cutting through the middle and have some more long range shots.

I'm not trying to get into an argument about this but can you justify your claims of long ball football over the past 2 years? Do you go the game? How old are you?

am 20 and i go wen am home from uni, otherwise i watch the games or listen... every time ive seen them theyve tried to play thru mid, failed and then neville plays long pointless balls at beattie .... everytime, cahill works hard and tries but fails to create, arteta causes problems for the defence as does osman, but none cept arteta have the final ball.... with a striekr or without they jus cant play it ..... and the football we play usually is shite ...

am 20 and i go wen am home from uni, otherwise i watch the games or listen... every time ive seen them theyve tried to play thru mid, failed and then neville plays long pointless balls at beattie .... everytime, cahill works hard and tries but fails to create, arteta causes problems for the defence as does osman, but none cept arteta have the final ball.... with a striekr or without they jus cant play it ..... and the football we play usually is shite ...

As with everyone else you are entitled to your opinion but if this is long ball football then what were we playing in 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 01, 02?

IMO there is a massive difference between the football we play now and the football we played then! I think the evidence of this is the 10 minute frenzy of attacking we have when we are behind approaching the end of the game no longer do we hump it up field but both strikers and 4 midfielders run at the goal and dig out results.

Its funny because last season was one of the highest finishes since the early 90's and we didnt start playing until January what if we had not had the wind knocked out of us by the european knockout? We would no doubt have qualified for europe again and then Moyes would have had back to back european qualification under his belt and the world would have been singing our praises!

Very true. I was reallistic enough to predict we finished 10 at the start of last season as I think it was all going to be too much for us. And I certainly remember our long ball football. We certainly dont play that was otherwise we wouldnt have osman and arteta in the team, we do try and play football, its just alot of the time we arent very good at it. Even the cultured RS play long ball when they have to, youve gotta have a plan B

Very true. I was reallistic enough to predict we finished 10 at the start of last season as I think it was all going to be too much for us.

yeah we finished 10th!

but look at the start we had. imagine were we could have been.

if we get off to a better start we can do a LOT better than 10th.

with AJ & BT up front and a reinforced defence with ATILLA the HUTH we could be i for a GREAT season!

i hope so.

im not a huge fan of AJ but i will be satisfied if we sign him and hope he does well.

we dont do long bal as much as we used to and now dunc has gone i can see the end of it to be honest.

we have more creativity in our midfield and hopefully create more chances.

yeah we finished 10th!

but look at the start we had. imagine were we could have been.

if we get off to a better start we can do a LOT better than 10th.

with AJ & BT up front and a reinforced defence with ATILLA the HUTH we could be i for a GREAT season!

we finished 11th, but thats not my point and I agree, We should be looking at top six/eight, but you never know, the competition will be tough. We dont have any devine rights

We dont have any devine rights

we dont have any divine lefts either, but weve had problems with goals at both ends. conceding and scoring.

huth and aj should put paid to that. its really embarrassing to have a negative goal record.

i think next season could be the best yet for moyes and the boys.

Johnsons a great signing and well 8.5 million is probally justified by his goalscoring record for Palace and the pace he'll bring to the team plus the value of other strikers . Just watched a video of him and he's pretty damm quick will leave our ageing centre back partnership for dead in training and he's a great finisher.

As for CraccerC saying that Cahill isn't good enough i have to disagree with you and it's not because i live in Australia or anything like that. Cahill will give 100% every game and is a great box to box player who will run until his legs drop off. He can score goals, is a decent passer and he can tackle. I think he was our best player this season in the opta stats no mean feat since he didn't really hit any proper form this year plus he had Australia commitments. Personally i don't think he's anything other than a 1st team starter and is an asset to the team and the club. You just have to look at the fuss the Aussies have made about him being fit to see how they rate him and you won't find a better player for less than 5 million which we really don't have to spend in midfield. To me the only position in midfield which needs to be filled is on the left wing and definitly not changing anything in the centre, we just don't have the money.

i dont think hes a good passer or tackler really... i like him but in a 4-4-2 i dont think he fits...

i think he displays better attiributes as a striker ... i means u look what he does in midfield... runs a lot, no particular great movement or passing or ball winnin.... gets into the box and suddenly his movement is amazing ... not to compare too much but when you look at arteta there we have a player that has wat u want in ur midfield, they are very different players though

ideally if u want a good team in the formation were trying u need to be good in the center , defensive mid needs to be able to fill the gaps drop deep collect the ball and pas it around, nevilel isnt good at that at all..... then in cahills role u need a more creative player and soem 1 to pass the ball, but he doesnt really fulfil that ....

hes is 1 of the best we have, i jus dont think we have been nor will we play to his strengths this season, and that his goal scoring talent will go to waste...

if he has a good world cup and sum1 wer to offer nethin like 6 million i think tht would be great business...

also you comment about a left mid, i think right is more important, weve got vdm and kilbane at the moment as shit as kilbane is, if vdm gets fit wer sorted, right we have no1...ossie isnt really a right sided player

I personally think the £8.5m has been well spent. I have watched him play for Palace several times and he is very fast and finds the net from even the tighest of angles. With regards to the penalties arguement, as people have rightly stated he won most of them!

From what i've read on the BBC the deal is £5m upfront, with the rest perfromance related, so covers our backs a little.

However I think a lot of people are fogetting about the effect it will have on Beattie. Beattie has had to change his style to playing upfront on his own, and imo done a good job. In the past however he has performed past when linking up with a fast forward. BT is good at winning and holding up the ball, whilst AJ is good at running and opening defences up. Together I feel they will create a lot of opportunities for each other. I might be wrong, but i think BT was at his best when partnered up with Kevin Phillips.

I personally think the £8.5m has been well spent.  I have watched him play for Palace several times and he is very fast and finds the net from even the tighest of angles.  With regards to the penalties arguement, as people have rightly stated he won most of them!

From what i've read on the BBC the deal is £5m upfront, with the rest perfromance related, so covers our backs a little.

However I think a lot of people are fogetting about the effect it will have on Beattie.  Beattie has had to change his style to playing upfront on his own, and imo done a good job. In the past however he has performed past when linking up with a fast forward.  BT is good at winning and holding up the ball, whilst AJ is good at running and opening defences up. Together I feel they will create a lot of opportunities for each other.  I might be wrong, but i think BT was at his best when partnered up with Kevin Phillips.

Exactly, its harder for a stiker on his own, the defence has less to worry about. And if they now have AJ to worry about it will give BT more of an oppportunity

One thing is for sure. Its a very positive step

weve gotta new goalie, new striker and new defender if huth signs.

if we turnaround the negative goal difference that weve had for the last two seasons it'll prove that its money well spent.

i'm really looking forward the next season. i think it could be special!

Exactly, its harder for a stiker on his own, the defence has less to worry about. And if they now have AJ to worry about it will give BT more of an oppportunity

One thing is for sure. Its a very positive step

The defenders will be wondering who the hell they're supposed to double, whoever they leave with one man is going to cause them trouble

Guest fozzie22

We're paying nowhere near 8.6 mill up front for him,no doubt it's an apperance/goals related deal..

Amazing how BK can spin things.

With all due respect to all concerned, I will wait until I see him paraded in front of the press with a shirt with his name and number on it. I have been an Evertonian too long to accept things at face value.

ATB

Mac

I think he is slightly over priced at 8.5 mil but even so I think he will be a good signing and as stated by a few other people he will help bt game as well so if we can snap up a cb or 2 and a left sided midfielder then i think we will have a decent season

With all due respect to all concerned, I will wait until I see him paraded in front of the press with a shirt with his name and number on it. I have been an Evertonian too long to accept things at face value.

ATB

Mac

Thats me at the mo' but i'm like a kid on Christmas eve, i keep logging on in hope that the EFC site has a picture of our man wearing his shirt.

I'v said all morning to the lads in work that i'v gota see him in the shirt before i'l believe it :unsure: