IGNORED

Europa K/o Stage Draw

shetland

Given the situations with the red shite in Champs League I've been thinking more about the possibility of us having to play them in the EL knockout stages and how much chance there is of that happening.

The problem is I'm not sure how the draw works for the k/o stage now they've adapted the competition. Up until last season I understood despite the crazy idea of 5 teams per group it made the draw easier as 1st placed teams played 3rd places and 2nd places played CL drop-outs (Still the most ridiculously unfair part of the whole competition). As it's gone to 12 groups of 4 there's no way that can be done now so i'm wondering if anyone knows how it works now, whether it's based on the good old UEFA coefficients and seeded or not, I did have a quick look on their website but couldnt find anything that helped

Anyone any ideas??

ive looked on a few sites now but none of them elaborate further than the last 32 are made up of the top 2 teams of the leauges and the rejects from the CL. oh, and they will be 2 legs too. i think thats right, i forgotten my glasses again today...

For "Round of 32"

a- Clubs from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.

b- The 12 UEFA Europa League group-winners and the four best thirdranked

teams in the UEFA Champions League group stage are drawn

against the 12 UEFA Europa League group runners-up and the remaining

third-ranked teams in the UEFA Champions League group stage.

c- The winners and runners-up of the same group cannot be drawn against

each other.

d- Group-winners and the four best third-ranked in the UEFA Champions

League group stage play the return leg at home.

After that there are no restrictions on us playing another English team.

I'd guess that it'd be based on performance in the group stage rather than rankings.

Don't rule out the possibility of Liverpool losing by a couple of goals in Debrecen and then to Fiorentina while the Hungarians get a point in Lyon. Then Liverpool would be out :P .

so are you saying liverpool may go out of the champ lg and the europa if they finish bottom....i thought the two bottom teams in cl go into the el.

No, just the third place finisher.....fourth is nowhere :) .

Doing the maths on our qualification also. Two draws would definitely put us through, because Athens & BATE could then only finish on the same points as us and we'd have a better head-to-head record against them both.

Lots of permutations if we lose (or win) in Athens but given that it's four weeks away we should have numbers back so we should still be OK.

Then we get Neill and Heitinga in for the KO stages....still think we have possibilities to go a long way in this :) .