• Jack Rodwell
    • Marouane Fellaini
    • Tim Cahill
    • Louis Saha
    • Dan Gosling
    • Johnny Heitinga
    • Aiyegbeni Yakubu

pollresizear5.jpg

Current Player of the Year standings....

Rodwell 93

Saha 90

Bilyaletdinov 73

Pienaar 71

Hibbert 64

Fellaini 63

Howard 57

Heitinga 43

Distin 34

Baines 26

Osman 23

Cahill 21

Yobo 20

Yakubu 18

Neill 10

João Alves Jô 6

Gosling 6

Coleman 3

Neville 2

MOTM winners....

West Ham (A)...Johnny Heitinga

Benfica (H)...Marouane Fellaini

Aston Villa (H)...Diniyar Bilyaletdinov

Tottenham (A)...Tony Hibbert

Bolton (A)...Louis Saha

Benfica (A)...Sylvain Distin

Wolves (H)...Diniyar Bilyaletdinov

Stoke City (H)...Johnny Heitinga

BATE Borisov (A)...Tony Hibbert

Portsmouth (A)...Tim Howard

Hull City (A)...Leon Osman

Blackburn (H)...Louis Saha

AEK Athens (H)...Diniyar Bilyaletdinov

Fulham (A)...Sylvain Distin

Wigan...(H)...Jack Rodwell

Sigma Olomouc (A)...Steven Pienaar

Burnley...(A)...Tony Hibbert

Sigma Olomouc (H)...Jack Rodwell

Arsenal (H)...Steven Pienaar

honestly, there were a few people who impressed (well... more so than the others in that rather 1 sided game). Johnny played his heart out, Felli was giving a good go before his booking but died out afterwards, Saha was his normal busy self and the Yak looked good. thought we played much better in the 2nd half (stating the obvious but heyho...) with more to aim at up front, seemed more hungry too. Hope DM plays 442 again against Hull. if we play like we did in the second half against Hull, we should waltz through them.

anyway, vote is going too......... Johnny.

Agree with that, and could probably add a few others. Despite Chris Waddle tossing himself stupid at Man Utd's 'dominance' I thought for the most part we were comfortable until the 2nd goal went in.

Impresed with Heitinga... proper hard bastard!

Distin played well and snuffed out a lot of threats.

Thought Cahill played the best he has done for a while, and was a bit more of a threat again.

Saha was his usual dangerous looking self, and worked well with Yak.

Also thought Felli looked decent again tonight, until he looked knackered again toward the end.

Notable mentions for Rod (in patches), Yobo and Howard!

Gosling was the only real low for me unfortunately!

Vote goes to Saha I think!

Edwin Van der Sar - 6 - Left bumped and bruised by Cahill in only moment of note for the giant Dutchman.

Rafael Da Silva - 7 - Typically energetic performance in his first Premier League start of the season. Taken off for Scholes. Saw yellow for a challenge with Cahill.

Wes Brown - 6 - Breezed through the first half and kept Yakubu quiet in the second.

Nemanja Vidic - 6 - Reveled in the aerial battle with Fellaini and left his mark on Heitinga's face. A little wasteful when in possession.

Patrice Evra - 9 - Fantastique from the Frenchman. Gave Neill a torrid evening with his darting runs up the pitch and kept Cahill pegged back in the process. His cross led to Fletcher's goal.

Antonio Valencia - 8 - Followed up a disciplined display at Chelsea with a more expansive performance. Beat Baines for pace and delivered a decent supply of crosses. Added another goal to his collection with a deflected effort.

Darren Fletcher - 9 - Zinedine Zidane would have been proud of his majestic half-volley that opened the scoring. Was the inspiration throughout as he dominated the midfield and showed pretender Rodwell how it's done. Filled in at full-back for last half hour.

Michael Carrick - 8 - Partnership with Fletcher is starting to blossom. Passed the ball into the net to seal the win and controlled the flow of the match. Picked up a silly booking for an extravagant back heel volley. Gibson took his place with 10 minutes left on the clock.

Ryan Giggs - 8 - The Welshman's masterclass shows no sign of stopping. Glided across the pitch at will and rarely wasted the ball. Brilliant spot for Carrick's goal.

Wayne Rooney - 7 - Tried his heart out against his former club and on another night could have helped himself to a few goals. Taken off with 20 minutes to go.

Michael Owen - 6 - Struggled to keep pace at times and wasn't always on the same wavelength as his team mates.

Substitutes

Paul Scholes - 7 - Set up United's third after he came on and was his usual unflappable self.

Gabriel Obertan - 7 - Exciting cameo again. Should be well ahead of Nani in the queue to play understudy to Giggs.

Darron Gibson - n/a

EVERTON

Tim Howard - 6 - Couldn't hold back the Red tide and was left to pick the ball out of his net on three occasions.

Lucas Neill - 4 - Tormented by Evra and toothless when challenged by Giggs. This wasn't the Australian's finest hour.

Joseph Yobo - 5 - Failed to stand up to the varied threats posed by the hosts and failed to form a partnership with Distin.

Sylvain Distin - 4 - Shaky display by the former Manchester City man. Put several clearances into the path of the on-rushing United attack and couldn't keep United quiet.

Leighton Baines - 5 - Struggled to stem the influence of ex-Wigan team-mate Valencia but was unlucky to deflect his shot past Howard.

Dan Gosling - 4 - Was never at the races and failed to come out for the second half.

Jack Rodwell - 5 - The hyperbole in the press should calm down after a quiet display against one of his rumored suitors.

John Heitinga - 5 - Left bloodied by Vidic and confused by Carrick. Looked a fish out of water in the middle of the park.

Tim Cahill - 5 - Failed to make his mark on proceedings from out wide. Substituted for Jo after being booked earlier on.

Marouane Fellaini - 6 - Won his usual share of headers but was let down by his team-mates who refused to gamble on his knockdowns. Picked up a booking.

Louis Saha - 5 - Cut a forlorn figure as the sole striker in the first period. Showed a number of classy touches and almost raced through to score.

Goal.com

Edited by EvertonToffees

I actually thought we had a few decent players today but we also had some bad players which averaged it out across the team. At the end of the day we had 4 real good opportunities (including the Fellaini offside, when he shouldnt have strayed) and at OT that isnt bad. Yes they played us off the park, no doubt, but when it counted they scored and we didnt, even though in most cases their chances were harder!

Howard did well, some good saves even if some of them were offside!

Baines and Distin did well IMO. I couple of really critical challenges or blocks and IMO it was Distin's best performance for the club, and its a pity his partner Yobo was crap. Same can be said of Neill who was toothless, although he got very little help from Gosling and did actually play some quality passes.

Rodwell was very poor IMO, its fairly clear he is troubled by any sort of movement. I love him to bits and I dearly hope he isnt sold in January. He did make some nice interceptions and did spread the play when he was able to. Im confident he will improve greatly when he is given more support and options to pass to.

Heitinga impressed again. The more I see the more I like, I just thought the game was begging for a Neville-esque crunching tackle that never really came... A couple of times he was guilty of not picking players who dropped off the CB's much like Rodwell. There needs to be more communication between the defence and holding players as they are leaving gaps all over the place that players like Rooney thrive on.

Gosling and Cahill were as crap as each other. Did nothing. Cahill did have that one chance, which was a well timed run and on top of his form I think he would have scored. What pissed me off more though for the Everton captain was how little he got stuck in and tracked players at times. If he had challenged Valencia (I think) with a proper clearing header instead of trying to push him out the way the ball wouldnt have dropped to Fletcher for the first goal. If he had jumped and got beaten in the air I wouldn't have minded because he tried but instead he tried pushing him out the way instead of doing his job properly. A couple of times I also saw Howard screaming at him for just letting players run past him, one which led to an Owen offside chance.

Yet again I though Felli had a good game. Got stuck in, shame he got booked. The ref said he booked him for 3 or 4 challenges but the other offences werent and its a fucking joke that he gets done for having his arms up yet Vidic gives Johnny H a shiner and gets away with it. He linked up with Saha well and if the other midfielders/defence could have got hold of the ball more and passed it around he would have been more influential.

I though Saha was quality, real quality. The only thing he missed out on was scoring. His work rate and link up play were very good even when he was 1 vs 4 at times. When the Yak came on he also looked good although he was clearly still short of physical fitness. He was a bit sluggish in movement but very sharp mentally which is a good sign IMO. I also though Jo had a good cameo, didnt really get much ball, but made some decent off and on the ball runs, shame we didnt see him earlier, even if it was to play down the left.

A bit long winded but in the end my MOM goes to Saha with Heitinga, Distin, Howard and Felli a close second.

With Felli out against Hull, if we can get a winger fit Id expect to see Cahill down the middle and it wouldnt suprise me if he gets a goal.

Gave it to Distin for the simple reason that he blocked a fair few shots that would have surely found the back of the net, and made for a much more embarrassing result. Can't really say that anyone had a great game. All of our players were sloppy in their passing, thought the Yak did reasonably well once he came on, Saha was 'alright' but didn't have any kind of support (I suppose tactics could be blamed for that, in part). Thought Cahill showed a lot more of his 'captain's spirit' than in previous matches, Felli was decent, as said above, until carded. Overall though, bitterly disapppointed, we were outclassed and outplayed by a much better side.

Edited by wallwriter