IGNORED

The Moyes Approach

nogs

I know as a club we owe Moyes a lot, but I'm starting to wonder whether his, shall we call it 'cautious' approach, is ever going to win us anything.

I don't like making knee-jerk reactions to bad runs of form - we've had the worst luck imaginable with injuries this season, and we are a team that tends to go on long runs of poor form followed by long runs of great results. But Spurs' 9-1 mauling of Wigan got me thinking - are we ever going to see that kind of football played by Moyes, and if not, can we ever expect him to win anything? Bar the Sunderland game, I can't remember us ever giving anyone a real drubbing under Moyes (although we've been on the receiving end of a few hidings), we just don't ever play that kind of free-spirited attacking football that I think you need to be successful. Moyes has never gone for that approach, at Preston or us - Someone like Redknapp, on the other hand, has always tried to play good attacking football, even with the kids at West Ham when they got relegated, and looks like he's reaping the awards with it now with (I hate to admit this) what looks like a very, very good Spurs side.

Maybe I'm just letting the last six weeks get to me, but even with our first 11 out - which i still think is a match for anyone on paper - I can always see Moyes playing one up top, putting defence first and trying to hussle for 1-0 wins. I'd happily take that right now, starting with Hull and Liverpool, but in the long run we're gonna get left behind by sides that go out and look to put three or four past the opposition every game.

Edited by nogs

DM after that Sunderland game...

"It is how I have been hoping to get an Everton team playing and I hope we see Everton playing that was more often - hopefully it's the first of many." :mellow:

Funny that we played the much maligned 4-5-1 that day though with Arteta, Carsley, Osman, Pienaar and Cahill being the five (love to be able to put that midfield out just now :unsure: ).

I'm not one for attacking Moyes and I never have been and I'm not against 4-5-1 with the right players but the persistant picking of Gosling so that we can play it I find totally baffling.

DM after that Sunderland game...

"It is how I have been hoping to get an Everton team playing and I hope we see Everton playing that was more often - hopefully it's the first of many." :mellow:

Funny that we played the much maligned 4-5-1 that day though with Arteta, Carsley, Osman, Pienaar and Cahill being the five (love to be able to put that midfield out just now :unsure: ).

I'm not one for attacking Moyes and I never have been and I'm not against 4-5-1 with the right players but the persistant picking of Gosling so that we can play it I find totally baffling.

Fair enough, but we didn't have two strikers of the quality of Yak and Saha at the club to warrant playing two up top.

I don't like criticising Moyes either, but you've got to admit, the way we played against Sunderland 'that' day was the exception rather than the rule - I just wonder whether he's got it in it to let any team of his off the reigns and go out to batter a side. Like you say, he plays Gosling just to keep numbers in the midfield, even tho he must surely know the poor kid is not offering anything going forward or in defence this season.

Ultimately DM's decision on match days is "Gosling or...Yakubu? Gosling or Yakubu? Dan or Yak?...well i'm keeping my 4-5-1 formation whatever happens so it'll have to be Dan"

Edited by tenaciousj

Ultimately DM's decision on match days is "Gosling or...Yakubu? Gosling or Yakubu? Dan or Yak?...well i'm keeping my 4-5-1 formation whatever happens so it'll have to be Dan"

I'd prefer Jo playing wide to Gosling if he insists on 4-5-1. Gosling on the team sheet amounts to 4-4½-1 imo...and I feel I'm being generous to him saying that.

Seriously fucked off with Moyes at the minute.

To be honest, the injury line he keeps churning out is really beginning to aggravate me now. I seriously don't give a fuck. Injuries shouldn't affect a manager's mindset and philosophy, and they certainly shouldn't affect the belief the manager instills into his players. Injuries mean nothing when the players on the field can't get the basics right and look totally demoralised.

We have descended into a pathetic shambles - no fight, no fire, no spirit, but most of all no balls. I love David Moyes, but the harsh reality is he's out of his depth now given he's financially hamstrung every transfer window, and for me, his aptitude of making wine from water has subsided.

Going on 15 years without a pot in the cabinet and shitty little clubs like Sunderland and City are pulling away from us. Billy has a lot to answer for as he has ruined any progress we have made.

Someone turn off the light.