IGNORED

Ruddy & Jutkiewicz

MikeO

One tiny example (I could come up with another thousand/million if I had the time).

Substituting "Roo" for "you" when talking about Rooney.

I refuse to believe that any newspaper that abuses English like that is well written.

It's infantile shite (imho).

Maybe to you (and the others who've expressed their opinion on it) BUT numbers don't lie- The Sun is, without a doubt the #1 best selling paper in the UK and that's down to the way it's written, the audience it is intended for!

It knows what the audience wants and that's what it gives (Granted not for everyone, but can anything cater for everyone?)

Maybe I'll reply more on this matter once I've finished my essay on "Thinking Journalism" - This is too close to it for me to be really bothered now though :lol:

Maybe to you (and the others who've expressed their opinion on it) BUT numbers don't lie- The Sun is, without a doubt the #1 best selling paper in the UK and that's down to the way it's written, the audience it is intended for!

All true...but (extreme example) Nazism was the number one most popular political ideology in Germany in the '30's. Did that make it the best?

Biggest and most popular isn't always best...totally flawed logic.

And what came first, the chicken or the egg? Are vast swathes of the population functionally illiterate because they've read the S*n for so long or were they already that dim and the S*n just talks down to their level?

It is the most popular paper in the country and that depresses me a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Prem experience? I'm pretty sure at best he's only had a few minutes in the Premiership.

Came on after eighty-six minutes against Sunderland at Goodison in 2008. Second shortest Everton career after Anderson de Silva (v Charlton)?

Coincidentally I was at both games :) .

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly a brilliant strike. I would like to see him either come back here and be given a few sub appearances/cup starts or possible go to another Prem club where he can get some game time in the top flight as then we will really know if he will make the grade.

Same can be said of Ruddy. He looks pretty decent, the 2nd goal wasnt good from him but he does look like he has a presence which is a pretty good psychological thing for a GK. From what I have seen Ruddy looks more promising than Turner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

It was Ruddy's contract, not his handshake, that was the problem. His contract was the same as Thomas Myhre in that we will have had to pay Cambridge Utd (in Ruddy's case) 'x' pounds for every 'so many' games he played.

In Myhre's case we had to pay about £250k(?) to his old club for every 'x' number of games he played. So, when he was approaching playing the agreed number of games he, too, was farmed out 'on loan' until we had the money to have him back so he could play for us and we could pay his old club.

Ruddy's only game (I was there) was also by fluke, as a very early sub against Blackburn because Iain Turner (3rd choice) was sent off for handling outside the area and he was only playing because Martyn & Gerrard were injured. So Moyes put Ruddy in, he played a blinder when he had to, we won 1-0 and Ruddy was never seen again because we didn't have the money for the clause in his contract which said we have to pay Cambridge, as well as him, when he plays.

I think a lot of clubs arrange contracts like this - it's just that we've never had the money to fulfill them, as others do, and sadly we don't get the benefit of seeing what, in Ruddy's case, have been some very fine performances.