IGNORED

Aek Athens (Away)

MikeO

Travelling squad: Howard, Hibbert, Baines, Distin, Coleman, Mustafi, Gosling, Duffy, Cahill, Rodwell, Pienaar, Bilyaletdinov, Fellaini, Jo, Saha, Baxter, Yakubu, Akpan, Nash

For me...

Howard

Hibbert

Distin

Rodwell

Baines

Bily

Cahill

Fellaini

Pienaar

Jo

Saha

But I suspect we'll have Gosling playing and one of Saha/Jo up front. Prefer not to have Rodwell in the center of defence and I guess DM could shift it around a bit and put Hibbo in the center with Coleman at right back. Then we could leave Gosling on the plane bench and push Rodders into midfield. In fact writing that down I've convinced myself it's a better idea.....they're no Benfica after all and if we switched Pienaar to the right he'd offer the lad a bit of protection and support.

Make that...

Howard

Coleman

Hibbert

Distin

Baines

Rodwell

Bily

Cahill

Fellaini

Pienaar

Saha

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite some shakiness I think I would be putting Rodwell in as CB, Hibbert just doesn't have the physical presence. I fear we're going to lack a commanding force on the pitch for this one though. I think we'll need Cahill to step up and have a big game. He needs a goal in the worst way right now. In the end it won't be comfortable, but I reckon we'll come away with the points, 3-1, with the 3rd coming late on as they push for an equalizer.

Im going for:

Howard

Hibbo, Duffy, Distin, Baines

Rodwell Felli

Pienaar Cahill Billy

Jo

I think Jo deserves to start up top especially if Saha still has a niggle. Although moyes did say he was resting Saha at the weekend for the midweek trip so Id gather from that he will start.

I dont think we can afford to drop Rodwell back as we will then have no holding midfielder available which means any team wil be able to walk through us! Id say start Duffy, it will be tough for him but Id rather have someone there who plays as a natural CB rather than moving Hibbo across. I dont expect it will happen but its what I would do.

No matter who plays, they HAVE to start and finish the game at the same intensity as they did on sunday. That was the old Everton I love and I hope it sticks!

Im going for:

Howard

Hibbo, Duffy, Distin, Baines

Rodwell Felli

Pienaar Cahill Billy

Jo

Wouldn't argue with that and it has the advantage of no-one playing out of position. I just think that if Davey's going to bring a youngster in at the back he rates Coleman over Duffy currently.

No matter who plays, they HAVE to start and finish the game at the same intensity as they did on sunday. That was the old Everton I love and I hope it sticks!

Yup.

I think Moyes will put out the strongest, experienced team he can. I don't think he will blood any youngsters in this game. After Sundays vastly improved display, hopefully they can take that onto Athens, I will predict a close victory. Amazingly we can win this and still get knocked out but if we draw our next two games we definately qualify????? :o

Amazingly we can win this and still get knocked out but if we draw our next two games we definately qualify????? :o

True but only if BATE beat Benfica on Wednesday and then beat us at Goodison :) .

If Benfica win their last two games all we'd need is to avoid getting beaten by four tomorrow and then get a point against BATE.

You going Beard?

This is the squad that travelled

Howard, Hibbert, Baines, Distin, Coleman, Mustafi, Gosling, Duffy, Cahill, Rodwell, Pienaar, Bilyaletdinov, Fellaini, Jo, Saha, Baxter, Yakubu, Akpan, Nash

My starting 11 would be:-

34s4g2u.jpg

I think we will win this.

PRED: 2-1 to us (Cahill 2)

Edited by iMac Hunt

AEK have won 27, Drawn 5 and Lost 8 at home this season, and they also beat Benfica 1-0 at Athens.

How have they played forty games at home this season? Or this year even?

In fact they're struggling...they're in fourth place in the league badly trailing the other two of the Greek "big three" and also Salonika, ahead of a pack of five other teams by goal difference/one or two points. They've won five, drawn three and lost four in a league that's usually almost as top heavy as the Scottish premier. They've scored thirteen goals in twelve games and lost to such giants as Kavala...dreadful season so far by their standards. The Benfica result is a mystery to me.

We really should take at least a point.

someone from the OS posted this:

AEK have won 27, Drawn 5 and Lost 8 at home this season, and they also beat Benfica 1-0 at Athens.

err.... im nervous again now!

I know they beat benfica 1-0 , dunno how benfica lost to be honest, but just think how shite the opposition is in greece only one or 2 half decent teams and they probably got beat by them.

We certainly should have enough to beat these, heres hoping!

How have they played forty games at home this season? Or this year even?

In fact they're struggling...they're in fourth place in the league badly trailing the other two of the Greek "big three" and also Salonika, ahead of a pack of five other teams by goal difference/one or two points. They've won five, drawn three and lost four in a league that's usually almost as top heavy as the Scottish premier. They've scored thirteen goals in twelve games and lost to such giants as Kavala...dreadful season so far by their standards. The Benfica result is a mystery to me.

We really should take at least a point.

i did wonder about the forty-odd games myself... i suppose i shouldve looked it up before passing it on, i just assumed that with stats like that they'd been research. im happy to be proven wrong in this case!

Honestly I think we should be winning this. The balance at the back will be important and a lot will depend on Tony Hibbert's performance. And oddly, I'm actually quite happy about Tony playing. I know he will definitely do a job at the back.

Pienaar's defensive performance will also be crucial.

If Rodwell and Distin are both doubts now, who will play centre half? Hibbert, with Duffy or Mustafi? I reckon Coleman should start RB ahead of Gosling too.

I agree, i'm not too bothered about the Europa now, i'm more worried about keeping our Premier League status.

So lets play them all and see what they can do, if they come up to scratch we dont have to worry about the january window.

................ Howard ................

Coleman ... Mustaphi ... Duffy .. Baines

Billy .... Cahill ..... Fellaini .... Pienaar

............ Baxter .. Akpan ...........

Bit harsh Bill....you know how hard it is for the youth of today to count up to eleven without a calculator :P .

Lol Yeah yeah I will put that down to my amazing speed typing!

Been a while since Ive been called the youth of today though cheers mate!

I wasnt exactly over confident beforehand but if Distin is out as well I fear the worse

Lets just hope we can keep the score down so they dont better our 4-0

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

I agree, i'm not too bothered about the Europa now, i'm more worried about keeping our Premier League status.

So lets play them all and see what they can do, if they come up to scratch we dont have to worry about the january window.

Isn't Hope Akpan a centre midfielder? Perhaps you're getting him mixed up with young Hallam Hope?

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/distin-a-doubt.html

If we hadn't already lost Yobo I'd be happy about this :(.

We seem to be very good at losing players in a certain position. Last year it was strikers and this year its defenders! I think even if Distin has a strain he will play becuase we cant afford to not have him out there. I would also stick by my original decision and have Duffy start at CB. Distin will know he has to be the commanding defender and pull his finger out (hopefully). We will have an even bigger problem if Rodwell is out because that also means we have no holding midfielder in any way shape or form. I wouldnt really call Jack one but he is the only thing we have resembling a DM right now. Cahill and Felli in the centre of midfield will be a shambles as neither will know what to do going forwards or backwards. I dont even know if any of our youngsters play there?

What I do know however that if both Distin and Rodwell are out we havent got a hope in hell.

What I do know however that if both Distin and Rodwell are out we havent got a hope in hell.

There's always hope :) . Time for the lads to step up.

Someone said earlier about the size of Duffy but the one that amazes me in this picture is Gosling.

Looks like we've slipped in his pie eating identical twin brother :unsure: . Makes the Yak look a lightweight :P .

I'm inclined to agree, but with Jo/Saha alongside Baxter....