IGNORED

Sports Personality Of The Year

• 2 weeks later...

OK, usually about achevement, unless it's a press stitch up (eg Ryan Giggs/the jockey that won a few years back). But it's nothing about personality (prime examples Ryan Giggs/the jockey).

If your referring to McCoy then I think his achievments deserved the award... Not many people could become Champion Jockey for 17 times in a row (15 by then probably) especially considering he doesnt ride the best horses!

If you referring to Zara Phillips then I agree :)

If your referring to McCoy then I think his achievments deserved the award... Not many people could become Champion Jockey for 17 times in a row (15 by then probably) especially considering he doesnt ride the best horses!

I was referring to McCoy....champion jockey seventeen times (I'll take your word for that) and yet only nominated one year and he wins it.....why was he not nominated the other sixteen times?

Worthy of a lifetime achievement award possibly but (same as was the case with Giggs) not SPOTY.

Although I find it hard to accept racing as a sport anyway....it's a vehicle for gambling pure and simplesmile.png .

I was referring to McCoy....champion jockey seventeen times (I'll take your word for that) and yet only nominated one year and he wins it.....why was he not nominated the other sixteen times?

Worthy of a lifetime achievement award possibly but (same as was the case with Giggs) not SPOTY.

Although I find it hard to accept racing as a sport anyway....it's a vehicle for gambling pure and simplesmile.png .

This

Although most sports today are too commercialized above all else and horse racing, "The sport of Kings", is simply a license to gamble and people seem more interested in profits than the welfare of the animals. I hate The Grand National, simply because invariably a horse gets injured and has to be put down, and some people aren't even concerned. It's all about the money at the end of the day to some.

My vote goes to the french womens handball goalie. What a great personality she seems to have. And by that I mean phoooooarh... Her name is Cleopatre Darleux.

Looks like a great personality to metongue.png .

If we're talking obscure I have a bit of a thing about Alex Danson....GB Hockey left back....saw the quality of her...er...defensive attributes at the Olympicsunsure.png .

http://www3.open.ac.uk/events/201273_36239.jpg

Wozniacki has a great personality going from this wub.png

http://uk.eurosport....-112139895.html

News about her in Swedish press this morning. Apparently a racist. I don't believe a word of it.

*edit, haha, just read the article and its about her Serena impression. Apparently that's what she is being accused of racism for.

Edited by Peter H

News about her in Swedish press this morning. Apparently a racist. I don't believe a word of it.

*edit, haha, just read the article and its about her Serena impression. Apparently that's what she is being accused of racism for.

I found it funny, racism didn't cross my mind when I watched it. I thought it was only the UK burdened with the PC brigade.

Edited by pete0

This

Although most sports today are too commercialized above all else and horse racing, "The sport of Kings", is simply a license to gamble and people seem more interested in profits than the welfare of the animals. I hate The Grand National, simply because invariably a horse gets injured and has to be put down, and some people aren't even concerned. It's all about the money at the end of the day to some.

This is complete bollocks. Do you know how much care these horses get? The best food, exercised every day and actually doing something they enjoy! After their racing career, some of the best ones get to go and get laid for the rest of their lives :)

Yes there will be a few trainers out there who dont care for the horses as much as they should, but thats like a lot of things unfortunately. Its a shame the two horses got injured this year in the National but unlike humans, horses cant just be bandaged up. If they do break a leg etc then its more humane for them to be put down as the wound will never heal. Its also worth remembering that one of the horses that got injured and was put down, didnt actually injure himself when his rider fell off. He went on to jump another three or four fences before he injured himself upon landing. If he wasnt enjoying it he would have just stopped!

Being nominated and winning because he can whip a horse well... what an achievement!

Now, if he'd won by running on his own legs against those horses then I'd feel he deserved it.

I would like to see you try it! Driving all around the country on no food, waking up at the crack of dawn to try and lose weight, with the very real threat of injury (mainly jumps) and all for very little money (at least to start with). I couldnt do it!

He was nominated that year especially because he won the Grand National on Dont Push It.

There is a lot more to horse racing than just the gambling side of it. People dont spend hundreds of thousands of pounds buying horses just to have a punt!

I found it funny, racism didn't cross my mind when I watched it. I thought it was only the UK burdened with the PC brigade.

Its just getting worse and worse in Sweden. We have a tradition on the 13th of december, called Lucia. Where children dress as lucia, star boys and gingerbread men. This year a lot of preschools has banned the children from dressing up as gingerbread men as it can be racist to be dressed all in brown. Its rediculous.

Edited by Peter H

Its just getting worse and worse in Sweden. We have a tradittion on the 13th of december, called Lucia. Where children dress as lucia, star boys and gingerbread men. This year a lot of preschools has banned the children from dressing up as gingerbread men as it can be racist to be dressed all in brown. Its rediculous.

That's absurd. Think we need to be more like the Netherlands where they still have Black Pete, these small minded bells would be in for a culture shock over there.

I would like to see you try it! Driving all around the country on no food, waking up at the crack of dawn to try and lose weight, with the very real threat of injury (mainly jumps) and all for very little money (at least to start with). I couldnt do it!

Cheers Bailey, you've given me a giggle on this cold morning.

Right result imo....though the wife's furious Mo didn't get it.....thought he'd be top three.

Murray for me if it's based on achievement, but I'm biased as I don't follow cycling (I know it takes a boke load of endurance, but there's not much skill involved for it to be a sport imo).

Needless to say, I didn't watch it, but Wiggins got the result I know.

Can only say, I think that's wrong, as Murray should have been winner with all his Tennis endeavors this calendar year. Final of Wimbledon was it, first British player in the final event since 1977 I think, and then beat Federer at the Olympics. The kid should have won, but all they care about is some dull cycle race. As always in Sport, the eventual winner isn't always the best or most deserving.

• 11 months later...

Ten "contenders" for this year announced this evening.

How in the hell they're going to talk this one up I have no idea.....Andy Murray is between 1/28 and 1/50 with the bookies currently. Should just give it to him now and not bother with the programme.

Harsh on Farah and Froome, nine time out of ten they'd have won it for what they've done this year (Ben Ainslie as well had he been representing the UK instead of the USA).

Ten "contenders" for this year announced this evening.

How in the hell they're going to talk this one up I have no idea.....Andy Murray is between 1/28 and 1/50 with the bookies currently. Should just give it to him now and not bother with the programme.

Harsh on Farah and Froome, nine time out of ten they'd have won it for what they've done this year (Ben Ainslie as well had he been representing the UK instead of the USA).

2 consecutive great years for british sport...

here's my seating plan guess - SAF and Moyes sat pretty much next to Murray - Fergie to get some sort of achievement award (already won the lifetime achievement though...)

Edited by Hafnia

• 3 weeks later...