IGNORED

Season Predictions

Wall Writer

Well we're coming up to the half way point of the season now and I was wondering where you all think we'll finish in the end. I was partly inspired by Arsene Wenger's recent claim that the title race is not over for them after this weekend's results. Arsenal are now 6 points behind the leaders with a game in hand. Not a bad position to be in actually.

I started thinking about our position and wondering what sort (and I'm expecting there to be some sort) of comeback we will be able to stage over the coming months. Our aim surely has to be top 6 and a Europa League position. At the moment we are 9 points behind City (6th Pos.) and they have the game in hand (Not such a good position to be in). I think we'll do better than Birmingham, Fulham, Sunderland, Stoke, Blackburn, Burnley, and Wigan (all above us at the moment), but that will only leave us 8th, and without a European place.

Of course, we should be looking at where the likes of City, Villa and Spurs are and be in, around and above where they are fighting it out.As it stands, it looks like we are going to need all three of those teams to have slip ups, and drop points, along the way, and hope that we've done with ours for the season.

I would be gutted not to be in Europe next year, I think this competition is great for the club and its supporters. While on the subject of Europe, I personally don't think with the current squad and injury list we have much of a chance of winning it, and I think I'd like to reserve my judgement on that until the new year and see what the situation is with injuries, transfers and who we're tied with. The same goes for the FA Cup. Though again, for the same reasons, I can't see us going all the way this time.

What does everyone think? 8th most likely, acceptable? European Place next year? Maybe you'd take 8th for another Cup Final? Or maybe, that's all too optimistic and you think our troubles not being over that we could be looking over our shoulders for the rest of the season?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean Predictions, then i think top 10 at best. No Europa unfortunately, would be nice to catch n overtake the shite but realisticaly i dont think that'll happen. 8/9th finish for me, i predicted 8th at the beginning of the season anyway.

So did i and i see no reason to change it, its going to be one hell of a struggle to get to 8th.

I predicted 8th at the start on the basis of the ability for others around us to strengthen considerably and I see no reason to change that, EXCEPT that I really think another couple of teams will suprise everyone and do quite well to the finish, such as Sunderland and Fulham so a 10th is looking a possibility :angry:

From the position we are in anywhere in the top half will do. However if you look at the fixtures from the beginning of March until the end of the season ALL of those games are winnable. OK, so we wont win them all but we should do pretty well at the business end of the season.

Hull (h)

Birmingham (a)

Bolton (h)

Wolves (a)

West Ham(h)

Aston Villa (a)

Blackburn (a)

Fulham (h)

Stoke (a)

Portsmouth (h).

Hardest game is away at Villa the rest should be a doddle B)

I think we will end up battling it out for 7th spot this season with a decent run of results and a few going our way in other games we can climb the table within the coming months, If we can kick on with how we are currently playing you never know and hopefully with one or two new faces in January and the odd absentee returning i think we can have a half decent season considering the shite start we have had.

This season is the hardest to call that i can remember as the teams you would expect to breeze past certain team are not and vica-versa and point wise there is not a lot in it, but i will be happy to see it out with a fit squad at the last hurdle and a good run in either cup competition.

Hopefully we wont lose any players at the end of the season and not being in Europe could end up being a blessing in disguise as for me im more looking forward to seeing how well we will do next season with fresh legs and a fully fit squad.

I predicted 8th at the start on the basis of the ability for others around us to strengthen considerably and I see no reason to change that, EXCEPT that I really think another couple of teams will suprise everyone and do quite well to the finish, such as Sunderland and Fulham so a 10th is looking a possibility :angry:

I'm inclined to agree with this.

We have been terrible this season and yet we're not too far behind the likes of City and Spurs etc, mainly because they're not very good. I don't think we can do any worse than we have, nearly all our best players have been out and the team set up has been wrong. Moyes seems to have fixed this recently and if we can get some players back and keep those we have fit, fit, then I think we'll easily be top 10 and with the likes of Arteta back we could get back into that top 6. Last year we were something like 8 points behind Villa with 8 games to go and we overtook them, we have a lot more time than that this time and I think we're a better team than virtually anyone in the league (Chelsea, Utd aside) when everyone is fit. I predict a good season with a decent league finish and a cup win. I fancy the Europa this year, we just need some players back and to keep the likes of Pienaar fit. If we have terrible injuries then we won't have a great season but it'll still be ok, you can't expect much more than that.

Like Romey Im not entirely sure what to predict as it really does depend on our injury list and the form they return with. Jagielka was awesome before his injury but will be slip straight back into that form when he returns? I dont think he will and it may well be nest season before we see him and Jags really hit form.

We also have the 'distraction' of the Europa League whereas the rest dont. Villa struggled last year because of it, and when they went out morale dropped, much like it did for us the year before. They wont have that problem this year and I really do think they have a chance of a top 4 finish ahead of the shite. Similarly the likes of Spurs, City, Sunderland, and possibly Fulham (after Thursday) wont have the midweek competition as a 'hindrance'.

I think that if we are to have a very successful second half of the season and get into possible European places then we will have to take points against all those above us, of not all 3 points from now on. Draws against Chelsea and Spurs are the start but we will need 3 points at their gaffe if we want to get right back up there.

I think we need to accept a few obvious things!

Due to injuries were not going to get top 4, 5, 6 or probably even 7!

If the injury crisis gets any worse and results don't go our way, then it will be a relief to know there are worse teams around.

It's not just about the 7 first teamers who were missing against Chelsea (Aretea, Jagielka, Neville, Yobo, Osman, Vaughan and Anichebe)....you also have to take into account that the Yak is only really just back after a year out and Pienaar has missed quite a few....and remember we don't have a big squad like some.

Most teams have lost one or two players, but I think we have suffered the most, for that reason Moyes deserves to be cut some slack.

A win in the Europa and victory over a very confident (over confident I hope) Birmingham would be great, something to build on.

I'm not giving up on a european place if we can get most of the players back.....and the ball keeps bouncing in off the back of Saha's head.

I'm hoping that we can be in the top half of the table by New Year. I think if we can do that, and then either get some more bodies in in January, or get players back from injury, then we should have a good chance - perhaps not of finish as well as in recent seasons, but I think maybe 7th, 6th at a push - that at least is what I'm hoping for.

In terms of other predictions - I'm not sure we'll see much of Jags or Arteta till next season, especially not in top form, as mentioned above. However, it also looks like Vic "who" Anichebe, Vaughan (who I know is injured but also on loan) won't be back any time soon. As for Neville and Osman, maybe they'll be back a bit sooner, but the way things are going with us, who knows!

However, if we can get ourselves in the top half by the end this month, then I'm sure we'll be in a much better position to kick on.

Looking at birmingham's form I'm thinking it will be a tough game for us, but winnable.

The Chelsea game was highly amusing, I was in stitches when Saha got hit in the back of the head and it went in.

Two weeks ago I honestly thought we're screwed, if we didn't pickup the 2 points we'd be right on the drop and I'm sure the very low confidence would have lead to a definite loss to Birmingham given their form, but that's changed thankfully...

I'd like to see us get all 9 points before the new year, I can see us getting 4-5 and breathing space from the bottom.

I'm still predicting top 10.

I think all 9 points are possible but, realistically I'm hoping for 7 points from these next 3 games. Especially if Ossie is back and can offer some more options in the midfield.

for the season I think 8th or 9th is realistic. 7th would be a stretch but also a very respectable finish. As long as we're in the top half with a decent run in the Europa and FA Cup, I'll be more than content.

I'm expecting at least 7 if not all 9 points from the xmas games, we should win both our home games, (Brum & Burnley), though the Birmingham one may bit a little more difficult. Sunderland away, we should be aiming for a point, but there's no reason why we shouldn't also be able to take 3 points from them as well. However, those games do come quite quick and fast so we just need to keep our fingers crossed that there'll be no more injuries to deal with and that perhaps Ossie is back.

Well Villa, City and Spurs will finish above us. The usual top 4 will finish above us (hopefully with Liverpool down into the Europa) so that means 8th at best. I've a feeling a couple of other clubs will finish above us too (maybe Sunderland, Birmingham) so that puts us mid-table. I'll guess at 12th. I think we'll go on a run at some point and as the season climaxes, we'll relax with very little left to fight for.

• 1 month later...

Things looking a bit better now :) .

I (tongue firmly in cheek) suggested a couple of games back that thirty-nine points from our last seventeen games would give us sixty-five points which may well be enough for champs league :P . That's down to thirty-three from fifteen now (ten wins, three draws, two losses). I know that's not going to happen (rightly between 25-1 & 40-1 with the bookies) but given the relatively easy run-in we have after February I think most of the predictions in here are a bit pessimistic.

I think we can finish with 56-58 points which might well give us a Europa place (not that we'll need it as defending champions B) )....depending on who wins the cups.

Things looking a bit better now :) .

I (tongue firmly in cheek) suggested a couple of games back that thirty-nine points from our last seventeen games would give us sixty-five points which may well be enough for champs league :P . That's down to thirty-three from fifteen now (ten wins, three draws, two losses). I know that's not going to happen (rightly between 25-1 & 40-1 with the bookies) but given the relatively easy run-in we have after February I think most of the predictions in here are a bit pessimistic.

I think we can finish with 56-58 points which might well give us a Europa place (not that we'll need it as defending champions B) )....depending on who wins the cups.

Lol You mean easy like Stoke or Wolves or Birmingham at home?

You should know by now that nothing is ever easy when it comes to Everton and as the saying goes there is an easy way and an Everton way of doing things!

It will need a minimum of 60 points to get a Europa Cup place..

Seventh place (which will hopefully be enough) hasn't needed sixty points in the last ten years....it's been between 53 and 59. This year with the close competition at the top it's likely to be toward the lower end of that range.

I wrote a post on another thread, stating that if we can get 6 points from the games in February, than we'll need to average exactly 2 points per game. (if I remember correctly it's 11 games(ie.22 points)) from March till the end of the season. And we'll end up with exactly 60 points. 22 Points from eleven games, is no easy feat, but if we can get seven wins and a draw out of it, that'll do it. (five of those games will be at home, so we should be winning them, then 7 points from the remaining 6 games, which, I think, should be doable.), However, all that is based on getting 6 points from Liverpool(A), United(H), Chelsea(H), Spurs(A), which will not be easy.

As for whether 60 points will be enough, I'm not sure, City, Spurs and Villa have all got good teams/squads and they're in a better position that we are points-wise (not sure how their run-ins are though). Also, I'm not convinced, at this point in time that 7th is going to be enough for a European place. But we'll see, if we get twelve points out of the four Feb games, you never know, we could be talking about a Champs league spot come March ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Nineteen points from a possible twenty-four in the last eight games, playing Arsenal, Liverpool, Man United, Chelsea and Man City in the process. That's League winning form....if only we'd had a half decent start....ten weeks ago we were three points and two places of the relegation spots

We've got twelve games left....almost all against "lesser" teams than those although City, Villa and Spurs away will be tricky. No reason at all why we can't average two points a game from those if we continue to play the way we have been.

Seven wins, three draws and two defeats would do it. We've got Hull, Bolton, West Ham, Fulham and Pompey (maybe) to come to Goodison....expect to win all of those but say we have a bad day and draw one. Then Spurs, Birmingham, Wolves, Villa, City, Blackburn & Stoke away. Need to win three and draw two of those.

Sixty-two points. Europa without a doubt :P .

Fuck Europa, we'll get 4th ;).

Sixty-one was enough in 2005 :) . Won't be this year though

The important games are City, Villa and Spurs....all away. If we could take six or seven points from those anything's possible.

These are what have cost us :( .

Burnley (A) lost.

Stoke (H) drew.

Wolves (H) drew.

Bolton (A) lost.

Hull (A) lost.

Birmingham (H) drew.

Three points out of eighteen in those; plus the two Liverpool games where we deserved more than we got.