IGNORED

Season Predictions

Wall Writer

Difficult to work out how many points we'll need for Europe but I reckon sixty-three would probably do it.

We'd need eight wins and a draw in our last eleven to get there. Big ask.

Minimum requirement from March is eleven points which would leave us needing fourteen from our last six games.

Twelve or thirteen would be better, fifteen won't happen :) .

Mike i know your honest in assesments but lets have some belief, on your name, it says waiting for the great leap forward, well where going to take all 15 points and take that great leap into the euro places!! :)

Edited by craigb

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike i know your honest in assesments but lets have some belief, on your name, it says waiting for the great leap forward, well where going to take all 15 points and take that great leap into the euro places!! :)

I'm going for the, "OMG I don't believe I said that wow that humble pie tastes good" angle Craig :) .

Mark Lawrenson in his Everton/Hull preview...

"One week Everton are capable of beating Chelsea or Manchester United, then they go and mess up in Europe. They need to bounce back a bit, but they'll finish in the top 10."

I wonder how much he gets paid for such insightful comment :mellow: ?

humble pie has been excellent the last few weeks Mike. I will look forward to handing you some! ;) ive not given up on 4th yet. Lets start with tomorrows game and take it from there.

As for Lawro... i dont listen to a word that prat says....

Can't understand all the god damn pessimism surrounding the season now that we're out of Europa and lost to Spuds. Doesn't make a shred of sense to me. At the beginning of February every Evertonian would have been ecstatic at the thought of getting six points. We still have aa undoubtedly difficult task to push for 6th (I've thought we've been out of contention for 4th since opening day) but Villa is slipping, and who knows what the RS will do. I think Citeh and Spurs will finish 4-5 with Us, Villa and RS fighting for 6 and 7. I hope we get it, we definitely have the easiest run in, we just need to find some away form. COYB.

I see Martin O'Neill's crying because Villa have "7,000" games in March. One every "two and a half days" apparently.

"We have got no midweek games in April at the moment but something like 7,000 in March, I've been reminded that we haven't won a game in March since I've been here. We'll now have an opportunity every two and a half days to change that."

Actually they have six games in March which is one every five days :mellow: . Strange one....pressure getting to him?

(Incidentally we played seven games in October, seven in December, six in January and six in February and I can't remember DM complaining)

I can't stand O'Neill tbh, ever since we battered them at Goodison and they got that late goal from Young to beat us and he said they deserved the win!

yeah that triggered my dislike towards him too, plus I don't think Villa are actually very good yet somehow they manage to keep fluking wins which annoys me as well.

Oh how we'll rue the wasted chances against the shites.

Our best chance of finishing any higher than 8th looks like it would be at the expense of Liverpool, everyone else around them has games in hand on them, we have 1. They also have to play Man Utd away and Chelsea at home.

I can't see Villa wasting both of their games in hand so even if we do beat them they would have a 7 or 5 point lead at least ahead of us.

Then again another poor March for O'Neil could see them slip up, stoke away will be tough this week and away to Chelsea to finish the month as well as playing City away 1 game from the end.

if we can keep in the running then 1st May could be a good weekend for us .

We have a tough game away to Stoke. City play Villa and Liverpool play Chelsea.

Prospect of seventh place finish being a Europa spot increased a tiny bit today by the news that if Pompey were to win the FA Cup they couldn't take up the place....nothing to do with administration apparently, they've just not done the neccessary paperwork :blink: .

They're a long-shot anyway. The nightmare scenario for us is Fulham winning it, or (worse) we take Villa to finish seventh but then they win it :unsure: .

Best to be on the safe side....go Chelsea!

Villa and City dropping points....missed opportunity this week-end. Spurs look to be in the best position for fourth now, but they still have to play Arsenal, Chelsea and United.

We have to win our four remaining home games....then if we can pick up eight or nine points on our travels would give us 62/63 points which should be enough for seventh. Then it comes down to who wins the Cup as to whether we get the Europa place.

There's a bit of me that hopes we don't quite make it so that we can give the league our full attention next year....I've never subscribed to that view before but I just think we could be on the verge of a special season with a little bit of luck.

Villa and City dropping points....missed opportunity this week-end. Spurs look to be in the best position for fourth now, but they still have to play Arsenal, Chelsea and United.

We have to win our four remaining home games....then if we can pick up eight or nine points on our travels would give us 62/63 points which should be enough for seventh. Then it comes down to who wins the Cup as to whether we get the Europa place.

There's a bit of me that hopes we don't quite make it so that we can give the league our full attention next year....I've never subscribed to that view before but I just think we could be on the verge of a special season with a little bit of luck.

I'm with ya on that one Mike. I've got that special season itch as well.

I'm with ya on that one Mike. I've got that special season itch as well.

The problem is we always make things hard or luck just doesn't go are way......

All I can hope for is that we don't lose any of our better players.....Im sure we will lose one of our better players this year and ruin our "special season" before it has even begun.

I really, really hope that by saying this I get proved totally wrong and have to eat a large hunk of humble pie but i think that's it for Europe this season, we've dropped too many points in important matches away from home in the past couple of months and left ourselves with too much to do.

This is my VERY optimistic view of how the table could look adding in the March fixtures - if it looks anything like this by Easter then I might start believing again...

4th Spurs - Stoke (a), Pompey (h) - 4pts, total 56, 7 games to play

5th City - Fulham (a), us (h), Wigan (h) - 4pts, total 54, 7 games to play

6th Liverpool - Pompey (h), Man U (a), Sunderland (h) - 6 pts, total 54, 6 games to play

7th Villa - Wigan (a), Wolves (h), Sunderland (h), Chelsea (a) - 5pts, total 51, 7 games to play

8th Everton - Bolton (h), Man C (a), Wolves (a) - 9pts, total 51, 6 games to play

9th Birmingham - Sunderland (a), Blackburn (a), Arsenal (h) - 4pts, total 48, 6 games to play

I think 8th still. To get any higher, we're going to have to win all if not most of our remaining games - which calls for consistency, which sadly we don't have much of, and we're going to have to rely on other teams dropping (a fair few) points, which is to rely on the unreliable. Add to that the fact that by the end of March most of the teams above us will have a game in hand over us, so are potentially an extra three points ahead of us, it doesn't look rosy.

I was really disappointed after the Brum game, not because we didn't win or played badly, I think it was just because

it meant our season has pretty much come to an unsuccessful end. Now, I've resigned myself to the fact that we won't finish higher than 8th. In fact, I would put money on the fact that we definitely will finish 8th.

But who knows, I may be wrong.

I read somewhere (maybe on the OS) that Arteta was targeting 7 wins form 9 games (make that 6 from 8 now). that's 18 points on 45, finishing 63. Will that be enough for Europe, maybe in past seasons, this year, I'm not so sure. We're in a position now (through no fault but our own) where we need to win pretty much every game until now and the end of the season and rely on other teams (I think mainly Villa and City) to drop points. City have the hardest run in I think with us, Manu, Arseanl, Villa and Spurs to play. Villa have it slightly easier with only us, Chelsea and City of note (though they do have Brum as well where the could also potentially drop points),

Do I think we'll finish in a European place yet?

Well, 18 points from the rest of our games - no, we'll just finish maybe a single point outside the top 7.

If we win all of our next 8 games - yes, and we'll finish just a couple off points off a Champions League place.

I think it's going to be very close for these positions this year, and my prediction for places 4-8 is as follows (numbers are rough estimates):

Spurs (69-71)

Liverpool(67-69)

Villa (66-68)

City (64-67)

Everton (63)

Just out of interest....league table of calendar year so far...

ManU Played 11...26 points.

Arsenal.....12...26.

Everton.....11...23.

Chelsea.....10...20.

Spurs.......10...18.

City........10...18.

Liverpool...11...18.

Villa.......11...15.

No doubt who the "big four" of 2010 are :P:D .

• 3 weeks later...

An improved Bily, an even better Rodwell and a healthy Fellaini :). No signings needed.

You working for Moyes? :lol:

I think we need to pick up someone from a second-tier European league. Make sure they're clumsy and/or tired that way we'll have our summer 2011 signings sorted. :rolleyes:

An improved Bily, an even better Rodwell and a healthy Fellaini :). No signings needed.

we need a right winger for sure. a striker only if Yak doesnt pull his socks up.

Anyone think Coleman could be a right winger? hes got the pace and i doubt he will get the nod as long as Pip is there. Just an idea (im bored...)