IGNORED

Season Predictions

Wall Writer

Sixty-one was enough in 2005 :) . Won't be this year though

The important games are City, Villa and Spurs....all away. If we could take six or seven points from those anything's possible.

These are what have cost us :( .

Burnley (A) lost.

Stoke (H) drew.

Wolves (H) drew.

Bolton (A) lost.

Hull (A) lost.

Birmingham (H) drew.

Three points out of eighteen in those; plus the two Liverpool games where we deserved more than we got.

well it's now proven that we can beat teams that normally dominate games (chelsea, manu, man city, ) ..; I don't take it as a given that we can beat the likes of Hull etc where we have to be the dominant team.. that's a whole different game and that's still where we struggle (as the 3 out of 18 shows).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I don't take it as a given that we can beat the likes of Hull etc where we have to be the dominant team.. that's a whole different game and that's still where we struggle (as the 3 out of 18 shows).

Don't take it as a given either but we didn't have the form and confidence that we have now earlier in the season. The worry is that we get through this month on a high and think we just need to turn up to beat the rest of those teams. That's down to Moyes and his staff, we've got to approach a game at Wolves or Stoke with the same intensity that we've have against Chelsea and United.

Looking at the remaining fixtures Man City have a very difficult run in, I can't see any possibility that they will finish 4th, Spurs also have a fairly difficult run in. Liverpool have a few difficult games and they will be feeling the pressure. I don't rate Villa but their run in is nearly as easy as ours, we really need them to start dropping points now as if they do I think we can grab that 4th spot. We NEED to beat Spurs, if we can do that and results can stay as they are today we are in with a massive shout for 4th. Villa are nothing remotely special imo, they will surely start losing games like they did last season, they just never seem to get any injuries which is a shame as they totally rely on one or two players.

Edited by carlmc25

Fact is, as fabulous as we're playing at moment, we're STILL eight points off the pack chasing European places. We all pretty much knew we had left ourselves with too much to do - we pretty much cannot afford to lose a game for rest of season, and if we do somehow pull off qualifying for Europe again, it will be Moyes's finest achievement and he'll be a shoe-in for manager of the season again

Guess we can only take it a game at a time - if we go to Spurs and beat them next week, the dream's still on. But I'm sure Moyes has half a mind on next season already, how to keep this squad together, who he needs to add, what he needs to do to finally get us off to a strong start come August. Because what our form for the last three months has shown is that once we get on a run, with a more-or-less fully fit squad, we make a mockery of all this 'top four' crap, we're a real side and we're getting better. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but anyone fancy a tilt at the title next year? ;)

Citeh and Liverpool game was great! im sure we were further off the pace this time last year so dont see why 4th isnt an option. Look at the opposition fixtures:

Spurs have still got to play Citeh, Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelski.

Citeh have still got to play Chelski, Spurs, Utd and Villa.

Villa have still got to play us, Chelski, and Citeh.

shite have still got to play Utd and Chelski.

Not getting my hopes up too much but we will be making them sweat...

Fact is, as fabulous as we're playing at moment, we're STILL eight points off the pack chasing European places. We all pretty much knew we had left ourselves with too much to do - we pretty much cannot afford to lose a game for rest of season, and if we do somehow pull off qualifying for Europe again, it will be Moyes's finest achievement and he'll be a shoe-in for manager of the season again

Guess we can only take it a game at a time - if we go to Spurs and beat them next week, the dream's still on. But I'm sure Moyes has half a mind on next season already, how to keep this squad together, who he needs to add, what he needs to do to finally get us off to a strong start come August. Because what our form for the last three months has shown is that once we get on a run, with a more-or-less fully fit squad, we make a mockery of all this 'top four' crap, we're a real side and we're getting better. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but anyone fancy a tilt at the title next year? ;)

I agree here. We need some consistency in our games and should we play like we've been playing this month for the rest of the season, we should do well. I would just hate to drop stupid points against teams we should be winning against. All well and good to take wins from Chelsea and United... Spurs and Villa away won't be easy. Don't know about the Premiership tho... if we had EVERYONE 100% fit for EVERY match... getting Jags back, Timmy, Felli and holding on to Donovan mebbe we can talk titles.

Edited by Droobie

Looking at the form chart in another topic it shows you just how hard its going to be to get 8 points back on forth place...

Some point we can assume from that....and my very technical predictions :lol:

even if your form is shite your prob going to average a point per game (clubs fighting for european positions)

average form will see you get approx 1.7 points per game (a big fat guess based on that one and only chart ive even bothered looking at :blink: )

If City, Spurs, Liverpool, and Villa all have average run ins we will still need to average nearly 2.5 points per game to finish 4th....

So im going for.......

4th Liverpool 67 pts

5th Man C 65 pts

6th Villa 62 pts

7th Spurs 62 pts

8th Everton 60 pts

I think liverpool having players back and managing to cope with the pressure better than the rest will push on and get fourth place

Man City will struggle with the pressure and pick up to many draws

Villa and Spurs will struggle also and under the pressure drop a few points each

I think our form will continue to some extent but 8 points I think will be just to much...

So there ya have it.. thats how it will be...... A spooky man came to me in a dream and told me so...

Didn't the form chart say that we've caught up about 7-8 points on both Spurs and Villa in 6 games and about 5 points on Liverpool and City (if my memory serves me correct)? As we have 12 games remaining then I definitely think it is possible that we will finish higher than we are now, if we beat Tottenham I think we're back in the hunt BIG TIME for 4th. City's run in is VERY tricky indeed, Liverpool are struggling to score goals and Spurs form is patchy at best. We need to start winning away from home and we need to get results against our rivals during the run in.

After the Spurs game we only have to play City and Villa, the rest of our fixtures are against teams in the bottom half of the table.

So as Carl has said, if we take points out of those games we certainly have a very good chance of pushing them all the way, City have to play Arsenal, Man U, and Chelsea in a couple of weeks time, and the others still have games against the "Big 4". Its going to be difficult to catch up, but not impossible.

Citeh and Liverpool game was great! im sure we were further off the pace this time last year so dont see why 4th isnt an option. Look at the opposition fixtures:

Spurs have still got to play Citeh, Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelski.

Citeh have still got to play Chelski, Spurs, Utd and Villa.

Villa have still got to play us, Chelski, and Citeh.

shite have still got to play Utd and Chelski.

Not getting my hopes up too much but we will be making them sweat...

We've yet to play Spurs, Villa and City away, those I think will be key games as to whether we can get into the Euro places. Any or all of those matches could be potential six-pointers for us. I think Spurs are going to be the ones most likely to drop down the table, so a win against them next week is vital, as they could be the team we need to battle with for 7th.

(btw, does anyone have any idea when our match with City is gonna take place?)

Didn't the form chart say that we've caught up about 7-8 points on both Spurs and Villa in 6 games and about 5 points on Liverpool and City (if my memory serves me correct)? As we have 12 games remaining then I definitely think it is possible that we will finish higher than we are now, if we beat Tottenham I think we're back in the hunt BIG TIME for 4th. City's run in is VERY tricky indeed, Liverpool are struggling to score goals and Spurs form is patchy at best. We need to start winning away from home and we need to get results against our rivals during the run in.

If your just looking it as another 8 points it seems very easy however this would mean that for us to catch them our form would have to be consistantly good and the rest slipping up again... thats us getting 29 out of 36 (2.4ppg) and the rest getting 20 or 21 out of 36 (1.75ppg)

4 teams chasing fourth are not going to average 1.75 points per game.... So I honestly think 4th is to much to expect.....

5th or 6th on the other hand is realistic......

anyway take each game as it goes...... and we will see what its like at the end of March... then Ill start getting excited...

All this talk will just create problems on the pitch.... you see how frustrated the crowd gets at home games... imagine what it will be like with all this pressure.....

Saying its just 7-8 points makes things look alot easier than they are...

If your just looking it as another 8 points it seems very easy however this would mean that for us to catch them our form would have to be consistantly good and the rest slipping up again... thats us getting 29 out of 36 (2.4ppg) and the rest getting 20 or 21 out of 36 (1.75ppg)

4 teams chasing fourth are not going to average 1.75 points per game.... So I honestly think 4th is to much to expect.....

5th or 6th on the other hand is realistic......

anyway take each game as it goes...... and we will see what its like at the end of March... then Ill start getting excited...

All this talk will just create problems on the pitch.... you see how frustrated the crowd gets at home games... imagine what it will be like with all this pressure.....

Saying its just 7-8 points makes things look alot easier than they are...

I don't think it will be easy by any stretch but I do think if we keep getting results then we'll do it. City don't just have to play Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea, but also us, Villa, Spurs. Villa's run in is easy, that's a problem especially as we're 7 points behind them, we need to beat Spurs and we need to beat Villa away from home, if we can do that then we have a good chance. We're not going to win every game but I'd say 8 - 10 games out of 12 may be enough, especially if those 8 - 10 included wins against our rivals. A lot of our rivals still have to play each other, points have to be dropped, we just need to make sure we don't drop any to them and lose more ground. Everyone else is feeling the pressure, just look at the match yesterday were both teams were desperate not to lose, we're the outsiders who previously had nothing to play for but all of a sudden are coming up fast on the outside and have a history of finishing the season pretty well and holding our nerve.

... thats us getting 29 out of 36 (2.4ppg) and the rest getting 20 or 21 out of 36 (1.75ppg)

4 teams chasing fourth are not going to average 1.75 points per game....

I agree fourth is out of reach but on the current form table Spurs were averaging one point a game, Villa 1.17 (though both will have picked up with their wins yesterday).

Liverpool are currently on 1.83 and City on 1.33.

I think Liverpool will get it.

Think someone else has said it already but we're going to have to be careful not to fall into the 'after the Lord Mayor's Show' trap for rest of season, we've had a fantastic February but we have to treat every game like a cup final now, not just Spurs, Villa and City, but all the teams fighting for survival who will be happy to come to Goodison and park the bus to earn a point, we'll have to beat them too. I have no doubt all the teams above us will take points off eachother, the question is whether we can keep winning when they do.

The other big, big risk is we go to Lisbon and get beat 1-0 on Thursday - it will be so deflating to go out of the Europa that I honestly wouldn't fancy us to bounce back with a win at White Hart Lane, and the way i see it if we don't win there, we ain't gonna get in Europe again.

Think someone else has said it already but we're going to have to be careful not to fall into the 'after the Lord Mayor's Show' trap for rest of season, we've had a fantastic February but we have to treat every game like a cup final now, not just Spurs, Villa and City, but all the teams fighting for survival who will be happy to come to Goodison and park the bus to earn a point, we'll have to beat them too. I have no doubt all the teams above us will take points off eachother, the question is whether we can keep winning when they do.

The other big, big risk is we go to Lisbon and get beat 1-0 on Thursday - it will be so deflating to go out of the Europa that I honestly wouldn't fancy us to bounce back with a win at White Hart Lane, and the way i see it if we don't win there, we ain't gonna get in Europe again.

under Moyes Everton tend to do well following a setback (ie following both defeats against Liverpool) I am more worried about us winning against Sporting and going into the Tottenham match a bit unfocused. These next two games are massive for us, the players need to play as well against Spurs as we did against Chelsea and Man Utd.

did noone pay attention to what I wrote above! 4th is perfectly possible! Citeh are without Tevez too apparently which is a huge blow for them. Liverpool have to play the top 2, which hopefully means 6 points dropped. Spurs and Villa still have to play us and theyre point average is crap! Talking about fighting for 7th!?! Can noone see the similarities with last season?

did noone pay attention to what I wrote above! 4th is perfectly possible! Citeh are without Tevez too apparently which is a huge blow for them. Liverpool have to play the top 2, which hopefully means 6 points dropped. Spurs and Villa still have to play us and theyre point average is crap! Talking about fighting for 7th!?! Can noone see the similarities with last season?

Admire your optimism but the bookies have us at between 20/1 and 28/1 to finish fourth and I think that's about right. It's a long shot (although long shots sometimes come in :) ). Back up your confidence with a small flutter spidey and you can buy us all a drink at the end of the season and say, "....told you so!"

We're 12/1-16/1 in the "without big 4" betting so if you think we can take City, Villa & Spurs you could have a bit of that as well. Much better value bet imo :) .

Admire your optimism but the bookies have us at between 20/1 and 28/1 to finish fourth and I think that's about right. It's a long shot (although long shots sometimes come in :) ). Back up your confidence with a small flutter spidey and you can buy us all a drink at the end of the season and say, "....told you so!"

We're 12/1-16/1 in the "without big 4" betting so if you think we can take City, Villa & Spurs you could have a bit of that as well. Much better value bet imo :) .

i dont want to admit it, but youre right, Luckypool will probably get 4th especially with Ladyboy coming back. But everyone is condeming us to not even beat the likes of Villa and Spurs! Dont get me wrong, theyre good teams but over the past 4 weeks we have been better. This happened last year and everyone wrote us off for Europe again (though that was back when i was a blueroomer, glad those days are behind me!) and what happened? Villa collapsed and we carried on climbing up the table with a harder "on paper" fixture list than we do this year. I acknowledge the fact that it will most likely depend on how we play against Villa, Spurs and Citeh (whenever that may be) but no reason that we cant take at least 6 points from those 6 game, if not all 12. Plus, as i mentioned above, theyve all got tougher games than us.

Also accept that if we go out of the Europa league that could have a potentially crippling affect but if we play like we have and at least score at Sporting were sure to continue! (oh, and ive had this dream where not only do we pip the Shite to 4th on the last game of the season but then 7 days later we beat them in the Europa final!)

I used to be a bookie so i refuse to bet (except the lottery but only because that helps charity too) but on those odds, its perfectly possible to punish ex-employers of mine...

Edited by galacticaracnid

If we beat them then maybe, but the game hasn't been played yet and we of all people know that teams without their main men can still beat the best.

very true, but that little bugger couldve terrorized us as he has so many other teams.

lost to them in the cup with a depleted, exhausted squad and drew with them on the start of our run. Im just getting pissed with the media writing us off at every opportunity, we have a team that can win most of the games we have left and other teams are starting to stutter....

I was looking at the premier league table this afternoon and if we beat Spurs then our win our round 28th fixture that will leave us 2 points behind 7th place!!!! (keep in mind when spurs play this weekend it is there 28th game and points as of 28 games will be Everton 44 spurs 46!!!)

and with brig, bolton and wolves the next 3 games i think we can honestly be in 4-6th spot by then end of march the futures bright the futures blue :D

(takes of blue glasses)

I was looking at the premier league table this afternoon and if we beat Spurs then our win our round 28th fixture that will leave us 2 points behind 7th place!!!! (keep in mind when spurs play this weekend it is there 28th game and points as of 28 games will be Everton 44 spurs 46!!!)

and with brig, bolton and wolves the next 3 games i think we can honestly be in 4-6th spot by then end of march the futures bright the futures blue :D

(takes of blue glasses)

I just realized

I have no idea what your talking about

• 2 weeks later...

What do you reckon our chances are of winning all our games in March:

Hull (H)

Birmingham (A)

Bolton (H)

Man City (A)

Wolves (A)

I think we're gonna have to win most of our games from now until the end of the season to have any chance of qualifying for Europe this year.

I think we need at least 13points from the games in March, preferably 15. This month could well turn out to be just as hard as the last, with two key away games at Brum and City, which are must win games, and then Hull and Bolton at home and Wolves away, three games which I would expect us to win, but knowing our inconsistency, nothing can be taken for granted.

I'm still going for 8th as our final spot.

Difficult to work out how many points we'll need for Europe but I reckon sixty-three would probably do it.

We'd need eight wins and a draw in our last eleven to get there. Big ask.

Minimum requirement from March is eleven points which would leave us needing fourteen from our last six games.

Twelve or thirteen would be better, fifteen won't happen :) .