Sign in to follow this  
Moyski

What Are You Listening To?

One of the first things I "mastered" (those are big inverted commas) on the guitar. I can still just about get through it but not quite to the level of the original, guy who sold me my guitar taught me the chord sequence and I painstakingly worked out the lead stuff myself.

20 minutes ago, MikeO said:

One of the first things I "mastered" (those are big inverted commas) on the guitar. I can still just about get through it but not quite to the level of the original, guy who sold me my guitar taught me the chord sequence and I painstakingly worked out the lead stuff myself.

still have the 45 here Mike.

48 minutes ago, rubecula said:

still have the 45 here Mike.

Nice one Rubes, I have "Hocus Pocus" on 45 in the attic but not Sylvia. We have an old Bang & Olufsen turntable (was father-in-law's) that we're planning on having refurbed in the near future so I'll be digging out the vinyl again soon. It's having a real renaissance at the moment, lots of news discs being pressed.

10 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Nice one Rubes, I have "Hocus Pocus" on 45 in the attic but not Sylvia. We have an old Bang & Olufsen turntable (was father-in-law's) that we're planning on having refurbed in the near future so I'll be digging out the vinyl again soon. It's having a real renaissance at the moment, lots of news discs being pressed.

it's all i buy and listen to.  have my in-laws stereo/turntable and i have some of my parents records (and tons of my own).  i prefer the sonic quality of vinyl to digital.

11 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

it's all i buy and listen to.  have my in-laws stereo/turntable and i have some of my parents records (and tons of my own).  i prefer the sonic quality of vinyl to digital.

No harmonic distortion in digital unlike analogue, that plays a big part in the difference (so I was always told by the geeky tech guys I worked with when CDs first started taking over).

56 minutes ago, MikeO said:

No harmonic distortion in digital unlike analogue, that plays a big part in the difference (so I was always told by the geeky tech guys I worked with when CDs first started taking over).

yep and also the stuff from the 60s 70s is "full wave", was cut to analog tape, mixed to analog tape, mastered to analog tape, cut to lathe from master tape to vinyl.  so you get a wholly analog recording from start to finish in most cases.  no 1's or 0's in your recording.  yes i'm an analog purist.  i still record on tape.

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

yep and also the stuff from the 60s 70s is "full wave", was cut to analog tape, mixed to analog tape, mastered to analog tape, cut to lathe from master tape to vinyl.  so you get a wholly analog recording from start to finish in most cases.  no 1's or 0's in your recording.  yes i'm an analog purist.  i still record on tape.

I have an old reel to reel tape recorder I also have 8 track and I still have a VHS collection  but I do like to play cd in the cars

On 24/08/2018 at 20:21, MikeO said:

My dad's first signing on his record label (Rab Noakes) playing with Lidisfarne, memories!

How weird is this, that video was from Lindisfarne's 25th anniversary tour; today I was in Glastonbury and saw a poster advertising their 50th anniversary tour:lol:. So going to see them Sunday week in Frome; wife only decided on a whim last night that she fancied a look round Glasto today or I'd never have been aware:D.

Just now, sibdane said:

Nice! I still haven't seem them yet.

This is one of my favorite songs from them, btw.

2 more coming up. Come see them in Zurich dude, I'll get the ticket :) 

And one final one. Very close to home....

If you've ever had a breakdown, or anything that's truly knocked you down, and your significant other has stood by you whilst you've tried to rebuild. When you've had everything and nearly lost it all because of addiction, whichever one it might be.... 

Here from the king's mountain view
Here from a wild dream come true
Feast like a sultan I do
On treasures and flesh, never few.

But I, I would wish it all away.
If I thought I'd lose you just one day.

The devil and his had me down,
In love with the dark side I'd found.
Dabblin' all the way down
Up to my neck soon to drown.

But you changed that all for me.
Lifted me up, turned me round.
So I...
I...
I...
I...
I would
I would
I would
Wish this all away

Prayed like a martyr dusk to dawn.
Begged like a hooker all night long.
Tempted the devil with my song.
And got what I wanted all along.

But I,
And I would,
If I could,
And I would
Wish it away,
Wish it away,
Wish it all away,
Wanna wish it all away,
No prize that could hold sway,
Or justify my giving away,
My center.

So if I could I'd wish it all away.
If I thought tomorrow would take you away.
You're my peace of mind, my home, my center.
I'm just trying to hold on,
One more day.

Damn my eyes...
Damn my eyes...

Damn my eyes
If they should compromise
Our fulcrum
Wants and needs divide me then I might as well be gone.

Shine on forever.
Shine on benevolent sun.

Shine on upon the broken.
Shine until the two become one.

Shine on forever.
Shine on benevolent sun.

Shine on upon the severed.
Shine until the two become one.

Divided I'm withering away.

Divided I'm withering away.

Shine on upon the many, light our way
Benevolent sun.

Breathe in union.
Breathe in union.
Breathe in union.
Breathe in union.
Breathe in union.
So as one survive.
Another day and season.

Silence, legion, save your poison
Silence, legion, stay out of my way.

5 hours ago, DavisJD said:

Child from Melbourne, Australia.

Blues Rock- very solid live. European tour upcoming.

I quite like that reminds me of when I used to like a bit of rock in the late 70s, if you like that then Deep Purple’s Burn has that sort of sound from what I remember. 

Just watched a thing on the BBC with John Stones on music and they asked him what the first CD he ever bought was, reminded me of mine; this was my favourite track on it. Used to love belting out the opening riff on my guitar at home (probably the neighbours liked it less so). 1989 was quite late to the CD party actually because I was an analogue loyalist for a long time (still am); actually having moved to London in 1987 I had no sound system at home for two years because I was listening to music all day (and sometimes night) at work, only bought some stuff when a girlfriend I'd met abroad was coming to stay for a month so she could listen to stuff. Ah, memories.....what a month that was:P!

55 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

analog reigns supreme mike!!! all of my music is on vinyl.  turntable is the only way i listen at home, it is the best.  i even like cassettes with that smeared midrange quality they can have.

Cassettes can/could give brilliant results with the right people working on them, I know because I worked in the medium for years. What let them down was the poor quality of the majority of domestic players and the lack of attention to detail in most of the big "factories" producing them. Sure I'm repeating myself (not for the first time:D) but where I worked the staff and consultants were meticulous and time after time we blew client's socks off when they came in and listened to what we could do. I was ultimately responsible for QC but my number two was a blind lady whose sense of hearing was incredible, we were the bollocks in the field and were well known for it; spent the best part of two decades at the company and loved it. The directors never questioned my decisions either, if a batch of 500 or 5,000 sub standard stuff was somehow produced (overnight mostly) it'd be binned without question on my say-so. Loved the job.

12 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Cassettes can/could give brilliant results with the right people working on them, I know because I worked in the medium for years. What let them down was the poor quality of the majority of domestic players and the lack of attention to detail in most of the big "factories" producing them. Sure I'm repeating myself (not for the first time:D) but where I worked the staff and consultants were meticulous and time after time we blew client's socks off when they came in and listened to what we could do. I was ultimately responsible for QC but my number two was a blind lady whose sense of hearing was incredible, we were the bollocks in the field and were well known for it; spent the best part of two decades at the company and loved it. The directors never questioned my decisions either, if a batch of 500 or 5,000 sub standard stuff was somehow produced (overnight mostly) it'd be binned without question on my say-so. Loved the job.

yeah as a final format i think it can be nice, but to track directly to it there are limitations due to the lack of track width, small tape thickness, and lack of backcoating. you can't hit it hard like reel tape to get that nice tape saturation (like a 2" tape on a studer or ampex).  when people do track to cassette (not mix or master) they get a sound with little bass content (80Hz and below) and not a lot of treble content (10k and up is gone).  So you get a very midrange heavy sound.  Some people love it and the Cassette culture is alive and well in the states and has had a massive resurgence.  Again this is due to trying to squeeze 4-8 tracks on a 1/8" wide tape.  Most pro studios put that many tracks on 1" or 2" tape.

i believe you were duplicating the master to cassette if i remember correctly?  Were you recording mono or stereo?  Noise reduction (dolby or dbx)?  My home studio i still record all analog to reel to reel tape and love it.  So simple to use and maintain versus a computer locking up on you and having to restart and then losing your creative thought.

54 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah as a final format i think it can be nice, but to track directly to it there are limitations due to the lack of track width, small tape thickness, and lack of backcoating. you can't hit it hard like reel tape to get that nice tape saturation (like a 2" tape on a studer or ampex).  when people do track to cassette (not mix or master) they get a sound with little bass content (80Hz and below) and not a lot of treble content (10k and up is gone).  So you get a very midrange heavy sound.  Some people love it and the Cassette culture is alive and well in the states and has had a massive resurgence.  Again this is due to trying to squeeze 4-8 tracks on a 1/8" wide tape.  Most pro studios put that many tracks on 1" or 2" tape.

i believe you were duplicating the master to cassette if i remember correctly?  Were you recording mono or stereo?  Noise reduction (dolby or dbx)?  My home studio i still record all analog to reel to reel tape and love it.  So simple to use and maintain versus a computer locking up on you and having to restart and then losing your creative thought.

Details were more often than not were that I was given a Dolby A master (15 ips mostly) and decoding that from a Studer A820 onto a Studer  A80 running at 3.75 ips) while encoding Dolby B (C never caught on) which then went to the factory for production. Stereo obviously but we certainly got more than 10k at the top and lower than 80Hz of bass, 16k and around 50Hz from memory, though admittedly that was playing back the finished article on a top end cassette player; as I said the average domestic players couldn't deal with the band width sadly. Dolby circuits on domestic stuff also a problem because they didn't work well so most people played them without as it gave them more top end and they lived with the "hiss".

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Details were more often than not were that I was given a Dolby A master (15 ips mostly) and decoding that from a Studer A820 onto a Studer  A80 running at 3.75 ips) while encoding Dolby B (C never caught on) which then went to the factory for production. Stereo obviously but we certainly got more than 10k at the top and lower than 80Hz of bass, 16k and around 50Hz from memory, though admittedly that was playing back the finished article on a top end cassette player; as I said the average domestic players couldn't deal with the band width sadly. Dolby circuits on domestic stuff also a problem because they didn't work well so most people played them without as it gave them more top end and they lived with the "hiss".

Top of the line stuff mike, no wonder your results were stellar.  Funny how those studers and other gear you used are still considered the best of the best 40 years later.  True Quality, they don’t build em like they used to.