Sign in to follow this  
Moyski

What Are You Listening To?

9 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm going to the Liverpool gig :) 

This album is very different in terms of the sound because they lost the lead singer, and have now gone in a different direction. I liked the previous stuff but I like this edgier sound as well. Really looking forward to seeing them.

It must be good, wife just came in and said, "What's that rubbish you're listening to?"😂

Unwittingly (someone's having a loud party in earshot) John Denver, Sandie Shaw (bearable) and Sweet Caroline/Neil Diamond followed currently by Love Train by The O'Jays. I'll keep you all updated so you don't feel like you're missing out😂. Moved on to Barry White now, You'll Never Find:rolleyes:.

Might be a long evening!

Have just finished a suite for pipe organ based on the hymn tune 'Cornwall' by Samuel Sebastien Wesley. It's written for a concert pipe organist I know, and I'm hoping he'll play it.

• The first movement is a prelude - a simple exposition of the theme with a little embellishment. It's inspired by Sheviock church in Cornwall (where I was christened).
  • The second movement is a meditation and is based on a musical idea I had as a child: If you play repeatedly the notes A-B-C-D-E-D-C-B-A-B-C-D-E etc., every third note is ADCBEBCDA. Every fifth note reveals the same pattern. Since this pattern occurs in the hymn tune, I based the meditation on it. It's inspired by the church at St. Just-in-Roseland where many of my ancestors were christened, married, and buried.
  • The third movement is an impromptu, and it's difficult to get the gist of it with the export option of the composition program: The upper register is meant to be played on the {Sw} and not the {Gt} keyboard. This one's inspired by the famous stone building on the seafront at Porthleven.
  • The final movement is a fugue (only the second fugue I've ever written) and at the end incorporates themes from the earlier movements. It's inspired by the Celtic cross in the churchyard at Talland.

On 20/09/2019 at 09:05, markjazzbassist said:

sounds nice! well done.  are you going to commission someone to perform it?

I have virtually no contacts in the US so I rely on friends. I’ve passed this along to three professional organists I know and keep my fingers crossed. :)

6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

At this particular moment the mrs moaning, you can’t please everyone and golf’s more important than going to Bristol shopping 🛍 

Ah spent many unhappy hours shopping in Bristol (accompanying wife shopping and just paying would be more accurate); IKEA and Cribbs Causeway are probably worse though.

12 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Cory Wells - The Way We Are (Album)

Confused me for a bit that, google him and Wikipedia said...

"Cory Wells (born Emil Lewandowski; February 5, 1941 – October 20, 2015) was an American singer, best known as one of the three lead vocalists in the band Three Dog Night."

Once I clicked it was a different bloke had a listen; very good stuff, I can always rely on your taste Mark👍

57 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Confused me for a bit that, google him and Wikipedia said...

"Cory Wells (born Emil Lewandowski; February 5, 1941 – October 20, 2015) was an American singer, best known as one of the three lead vocalists in the band Three Dog Night."

Once I clicked it was a different bloke had a listen; very good stuff, I can always rely on your taste Mark👍

:lol: I read the same thing when I first found him too and was a bit confused as well!

He just came on my recommended mix on YouTube a few months ago and I really liked what I heard and had been waiting for this album ever since. 

12 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Eminem - Music To Be Murdered By (Album)

You're normally my guru in this thread Mark but I'll give that a swerve, not to say he hasn't done a few things that I quite admire.

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

You're normally my guru in this thread Mark but I'll give that a swerve, not to say he hasn't done a few things that I quite admire.

:lol: I wasn't expecting you to be on board with that one like. The one above is very good though. The band in general I would recommend tbh.

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

:lol: I wasn't expecting you to be on board with that one like. The one above is very good though. The band in general I would recommend tbh.

Yeah enjoyed that and will investigate.

All my headphones died so I’ve used my gift money from LeShop to get me some new ones. Fucking amazing quality. Bose AE2 Soundlink. Over the ears so amazingly comfortable. Testing them out with Metallica and Oceansize now. So immersive 😊

only the 7 guitars in that. One of the best live tracks I’ve ever seen too. The bassist ends up recording his loop before the break, picking up his guitar as 2 others step out from the sidelines and it just explodes into a wall of chaos :) next up was: 

Then it’s basically been Tool and Mastodon to really test the range on these things. Stunning quality and highly recommended 

On 28/02/2020 at 16:05, Matt said:

All my headphones died so I’ve used my gift money from LeShop to get me some new ones. Fucking amazing quality. Bose AE2 Soundlink. Over the ears so amazingly comfortable. Testing them out with Metallica and Oceansize now. So immersive 😊

Bose are the canines testicles. First used them (professionally) in 1977, mostly for PA stuff. The sound that came out of very "small" speakers was astonishing, as was the weight of the amp that drove them; to carry it any distance took two people. Mad.

Never owned anything of theirs myself but my brother has a Bluetooth speaker which is highly impressive. Don't use headphones enough to justify spending big on them tbh, and my hearing is a long way from what it was six years ago anyway:(

51 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Bose are the canines testicles. First used them (professionally) in 1977, mostly for PA stuff. The sound that came out of very "small" speakers was astonishing, as was the weight of the amp that drove them; to carry it any distance took two people. Mad.

Never owned anything of theirs myself but my brother has a Bluetooth speaker which is highly impressive. Don't use headphones enough to justify spending big on them tbh, and my hearing is a long way from what it was six years ago anyway:(

I lost my hearing in my right ear when I was 20 from a virus which basically destroyed the nerve endings in my ear, which is a pisser when listening to some tracks through headphones, sometimes the instruments are split between either side so I don’t get the complete sound of the song, I don’t know why but a few of Bowie’s tracks are like that. 

14 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I lost my hearing in my right ear when I was 20 from a virus which basically destroyed the nerve endings in my ear, which is a pisser when listening to some tracks through headphones, sometimes the instruments are split between either side so I don’t get the complete sound of the song, I don’t know why but a few of Bowie’s tracks are like that. 

Must be really annoying, it was chemo that screwed mine. They did a hearing test pre-treatment that said I had excellent hearing for my age (bit of a shock given my first career) and another one afterwards that said it was still "within normal range". But everything music wise sounded like it was being done by a cover band; I'm used to that now though so my brain's obviously compensated somehow. 

57 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Must be really annoying, it was chemo that screwed mine. They did a hearing test pre-treatment that said I had excellent hearing for my age (bit of a shock given my first career) and another one afterwards that said it was still "within normal range". But everything music wise sounded like it was being done by a cover band; I'm used to that now though so my brain's obviously compensated somehow. 

I didn’t know chemo could affect your hearing that’s something I’ve learned today 

The brain is clever at configuring broken lines of communication were possible. 

9 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I didn’t know chemo could affect your hearing that’s something I’ve learned today 

The brain is clever at configuring broken lines of communication were possible. 

Different chemo drugs do different things; was cisplatin that I had, no hair loss but hearing affected and lifelong permanent tinnitus. Doesn't bother me though unlike some, I don't even hear it unless I'm thinking about it (can hear it now but it'll be forgotten soon).

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

Different chemo drugs do different things; was cisplatin that I had, no hair loss but hearing affected and lifelong permanent tinnitus. Doesn't bother me though unlike some, I don't even hear it unless I'm thinking about it (can hear it now but it'll be forgotten soon).

Interesting 👍

26 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Nice 👍, I’ve got a fair bit of Dylan he’s one of my go too’s when I need to calm down, obviously as you can tell I haven’t listened to him much this year. 

53 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Nice 👍, I’ve got a fair bit of Dylan he’s one of my go too’s when I need to calm down, obviously as you can tell I haven’t listened to him much this year. 

Never really been a huge fan personally even though I like a few things he's done; much prefer Neil Young among singer/songwriters of that ilk and era.

My "calming down" music is always this...

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Never really been a huge fan personally even though I like a few things he's done; much prefer Neil Young among singer/songwriters of that ilk and era.

My "calming down" music is always this...

It started off very oriental then started getting a lot heavier not for me mate, but good with Neil Young in fact it was you a couple of years ago, that got me listening to more of his stuff he wasn’t really on my radar till then. 

With yesterday's death of Krzysztof Penderecki, I decided to listen again to perhaps his most famous work: Threnody for the victims of Hiroshima. It's not easy to listen to, but it's a masterpiece of modern music. Of course, he wrote much other music, much of it relating to Poland and his Catholic faith, but it's the threnody that most will remember.