Club Brugge/Valencia v FC Twente/Werder Bremen

Ajax/Juventus v Fulham/Shakhtar

Lille/Fenerbahce v Liverpool/Unirea

Panathinaikos/Roma v Standard Liege/Salzburg

Hertha Berlin/Benfica v Copenhagen/Marseille

A Madrid/Galatasaray v Everton/Sporting

Rubin/Hapoel v Villarreal/Wolfsburg

Hamburg/PSV v Athletic Bilbao/Anderlecht

Not the best, another tough tie in Lisbon followed if we get through by an even tougher trip to Turkey or Madrid.

Games are on 18th and 25th of February.

some tough games there. Fulham have a very tough draw with the champions, Shaktar then Ajax or Juve should they manage to get through that!

Rubin a team I fancy to do very well having shown themsevels to be very handy in the Champions league have an ok first round against Hapoel but will then probably have Villareal in the next round.

Liverpool the jammy buggars have got a pretty decent draw and unless they make no improvements to their current form I can't see them failing in either of their 2 rounds.

I can understand the logistics city wise but to play at that time because of broadcasting rights is just ridiculous (a bit like the draw, what the f**k was that all about, there was about 500 balls in 12 pots. Something simple made to look very complicated). :weird:

There were ten teams in the draw that we needed to avoid because they're stronger than us (on paper) currently (Liverpool, Valencia, Juventus, Shahktar, Roma, Benfica, Hamburg, Bremen, Villarreal and Marseilles) and we avoided them all for both rounds.

Sporting are 7th in the league and struggling...Atletico are 14th in the Spanish league and doing even worse. Galatasaray would be the biggest test for me but they're beatable and we'd have the second leg at home if it happens.

Don't think it's a bad draw at all....the names and reputations of the clubs make it look harder than it is and with a full(ish) squad to pick from we can make the last eight.

Sporting are 7th in the league and struggling...Atletico are 14th in the Spanish league and doing even worse. Galatasaray would be the biggest test for me but they're beatable and we'd have the second leg at home if it happens.

I bet their fans are saying the same about us though...

I bet their fans are saying the same about us though...

Don't doubt that for a minute, but we've (hopefully) turned the corner and will have (again hopefully) a bigger and better squad of players to call on in Feb.

I don't know the reasons for their problems but I'm hopeful they're not on the up like we (more hopefully) are :) .

There were ten teams in the draw that we needed to avoid because they're stronger than us (on paper) currently (Liverpool, Valencia, Juventus, Shahktar, Roma, Benfica, Hamburg, Bremen, Villarreal and Marseilles) and we avoided them all for both rounds.

Don't think it's a bad draw at all....the names and reputations of the clubs make it look harder than it is and with a full(ish) squad to pick from we can make the last eight.

Damn. I so didn't want the draw to put us up against each other...

It's true, both of us aren't at our best at the moment, hopefully that'll change come February.

We've got a new manager (finally), the players show more willpower in the pitch, so I'm hopeful we'll be better by then.

Your injuries cannot last forever, either, so we'll be in better shape then, and have a couple of entertaining games.

Heitinga can't be registered (if I'm reading the regulations correctly). If Atletico were still in the Champs league we'd have been OK but because they've dropped into the Europa we're stuffed.

18.07 Excluding the UEFA Super Cup, and subject to paragraph 18.18 below, a

player may not play UEFA club competition matches for more than one

competing club in the course of the same season. A substitute player who is

not fielded is entitled to play for another club competing in the same seasons

UEFA club competitions, provided that he is registered with the UEFA

administration in accordance with the present regulations.

18.17 For all matches from the start of the round of 32, a club may register a

maximum of three new eligible players for the remaining matches in the

current competition. Such registration must be completed by 1 February

2010 at the latest. This deadline cannot be extended.

18.18 One player from the above quota of three who has played UEFA club

competition matches for another competing club in the current season may

exceptionally be registered provided that the player has not been fielded:

in the same competition for another club,

for another club that is currently in the same competition.

Furthermore, if the players new club is playing in the UEFA Europa League,

his former club must not have played in the UEFA Europa League at any

point in the current season.

The offending Champs League game...

Sportings Europa results and table

DATE TIME HOME AWAY

17-09 18:00 Heerenveen 2-3 Sporting

01-10 20:05 Sporting 1-0 Hertha Berlim

22-10 20:05 Ventspils 1-2 Sporting

05-11 18:00 Sporting 1-1 Ventspils

03-12 20:05 Sporting 1-1 Heerenveen

16-12 18:00 Hertha Berlim 1-0 Sporting

1Sporting-----------6 3 2 1 11

2Hertha Berlin---6 3 1 2 10

3Heerenveen-----6 2 2 2 8

4FK Ventspils-----6 0 3 3 3

From the Champs League site.

Group D Pld Pts

Chelsea 6 - 14

Porto.....6 - 12

Atlético..6 - 3

APOEL...6 - 3

Was it goal diff maybe

Apoel did well and it makes me wonder how a team can outscore Madrid and have a better defensive stats and goal difference and go out.Madrid didnt win a home game and lost one

0-3 so why do they deserve to go forward when Apoel had the better goals stats and never lost by more than one goal......something to do with the countback rule......dont ask Bill..

...why do they deserve to go forward when Apoel had the better goals stats and never lost by more than one goal......something to do with the countback rule......dont ask Bill..

Purely the head to head record. 0-0 in Madrid, 1-1 in Cyprus...Atletico get it for the away goal.

Purely the head to head record. 0-0 in Madrid, 1-1 in Cyprus...Atletico get it for the away goal.

That's a rubbish rule. Why'd they feel the need to switch from goal differential?

Also, we should contest having Heits available! He's the one who will make the largest difference in our European squad.

I quote the UEFA regulations saying he's ineligible but you only believe it to be true when you see it on Wikipedia.

The power of Wiki :rolleyes::lol: .

Lol... I just thought I better double check, you know what these UEFA regulations are like. It would surprise me if the RS win the Europa League, finish outside the top 4 and somehow get a petition signed to allow them to play in the CL!

It would surprise me if the RS win the Europa League, finish outside the top 4 and somehow get a petition signed to allow them to play in the CL!

Wouldn't surprise me either hopefully they will keep their current form until the end of the season and win sweet fa and finish outside the top four possibly five and hear what excuses they come out with, I loved the look on fat waiter's face on MOTD last night looked like a genetically modified beat root.

It will be a tough game but hopefully we will have a bigger sqaud when the time comes around, Will wait until closer to the time to put any stamp of judgement on the game.

Edited by EFC-Paul