IGNORED

Rush

was jus readin soem random stuff on skysports.com and came across this. which made me smile

'I recently discovered that Ian Rush scored an incredible 347 goals for Liverpool. I was wondering if this was the largest amount of goals scored by one player for a single club, in the top flight or otherwise. Lewis Heyes, Chorley

TYLER SAYS: The answer to your question, Lewis, is - no, not quite. Ian Rush scored 346 goals for Liverpool (source: Liverpool FC) in his 15 years at the club, which is indeed a record. He also holds their club record for FA Cup goals and League Cup goals but, somewhat surprisingly, not League goals - that is owned by England World Cup-winner Roger Hunt. However, across Stanley Park, another legendary striker racked up an even more spectacular tally than Rush's. In Everton's colours and between the years of 1925 and 1937, this person scored a total of 377 times, 349 of them in the league and the other 28 in the FA Cup - and that total doesn't include the six goals he got in the Charity Shield games he played against Newcastle and Blackburn Rovers as the club's official records don't include them. His name is Dixie Dean.'

always nice to read about great accomplishments from an Everton player, especially when its mentioned eclipsing a RS player... wouldnt mind bettin this was soem norweigan who thought hed get himself soem knowledge and started reading through the clubs hsitory, either way unlucky son, try somewhere else :)

i saw dixie interviewed on tv before he died, (obviously)!

he had a metal plate in his head after an accident. everyone thought it would weaken him but he said it didnt, it made him a stronger header of the ball.

he was asked if he thought anyone would beat his record. he said, no. theyre not good enough! :lol:

I wonder if anyone realises that the offside rule was changed to it's current "2 men behind the ball" from the previous "1 man behind the ball" purely to prevent

Dixie Dean's scoring prowess?

didnt know that. he was quite a character.

which part of oz are you from? i lived just outside brisbane for 7 years! love the gold coast!

i saw dixie interviewed on tv  before he died, (obviously)!

he had a metal plate in his head after an accident. everyone thought it would weaken him but he said it didnt, it made him a stronger header of the ball.

he was asked if he thought anyone would beat his record. he said, no. theyre not good enough!  :lol:

He couldnt be more right, noone will ever be as good as our Dixie

my grandad had the honour of meeting dixie. it was in 1966 shortly after the world cup.

my dad being a burnley fan asked him about what he thought about tommy lawton. and then asking him what it felt like to score the legendry 60th goal. and what he said.

NAH it was alright. fucking lucky with it i was.

what a modest fella

Rumour has it, Dixie invented the "goal". before the days of William Ralph Dean, every match finished 0-0. was quite a boaring spectator sport. also, do to the unfairness of his undoubted ability he had all the other teams he played against use smaller goals, just so he could break a sweat when crushing their hopes of defending!

(its too late, and im rambling nonsense!)

wikepedia's got a good article about Everton fc.

this is the bit about dixie:

The 1930s: The Dixie years

Quite simply, "Dixie" Dean was the greatest scoring machine that the English game has seen, or ever is, likely to see. After averaging a goal a game for Tranmere Rovers, prolific striker Dean was lured across the River Mersey to play for Everton. In his first season for the Toffees, the 1925-26 season, Dean netted 32 league goals in 38 games (getting his first two on his début), scored 21 in 27 the next year, and made history in 1927-28: in a seasonal performance that is unlikely to ever be bettered, Dean hit 60 league goals in 39 matches, setting a record that has stood ever since and almost single-handedly gifting Everton the league title.

In a turn of events that seems unbelievable today, Everton were relegated into the second division two years later. Predictably, Dean was on top form in the secondary league, hitting 39 goals in 37 games and lifting the Toffees to promotion at the first time of asking.

The following season, Dean hit 45 goals and Everton regained the league title. In 1933, they won the FA Cup, Dean becoming Everton's first ever number 9 in the 3-0 final win against Manchester City. The number 9 would become synonymous with commanding and high-scoring strikers at domestic and international level football, something Dean embodied.

The nickname "Dixie" has ambiguous origins, but it is thought that it was given to Dean because his curly hairstyle was similar to that sported by many people of African ethnicity, popularly nicknamed "dixies" at the time. Dean is said to have disliked but reluctantly accepted the tag.

He played his last match for Everton on 11 December 1937 and fittingly died at a Merseyside derby at Goodison in 1980, leaving behind a legacy of 383 goals in 433 matches overall.

WHAT A GUY!

HAHAHAHA

We must be one of only a handful of teams that has gone down one year and then gained promotion with a striker scoring nearly 40 goals and then our first year back in the top flight we won the league with the same striker scoring 45 goals...

how many teams have gone done, come straight back up and won the league in the promotion season??!?!?! Can't be many!!!

perhaps one to put to Tyler?!?!