IGNORED

Arrests At Sunderland Match

My 15 year old son was arrested when he stepped over the hoardings in an exuberant goal celebration at the Stadium of Light yesterday. He wasn't causing any trouble and has not been in any trouble with any authorities before. He has been charged with pitch incursion along with six other people and has to appear in court in January. This is totally ludicrous and we will be challenging the police procedures vigorously.

I have also written to the Football Supporters Federation and they have suggested I pass on their contact details for anyone else who has been affected as they will help with legal representation. Please contact Amanda Jacks:-

Amanda.jacks@fsf.org.uk

The heavy handed reputation of the stewards and police at the Stadium of Light leaves a lot to be desired and they don't seem to apply any common sense whatsoever.

I can understand your frustration and anger mate. I was sitting in the front row and didn't really appreciate what was happening. They will probably quote the rules, the signs round the ground that should be obeyed. However in this instance common sense should prevail but from previous experience I wouldn't hold my breath. The stewards and Police at Sunderland and Newcastle leave a lot to be desired. I was once thrown out (and threatened with arrest) of St James' Park because I stood up to let someone go to the toilet, ridiculous. Anyway Good Luck and as I said I hope common sense prevails.

Thank you Beard! The police have made enough procedural errors particularly as my son is only 15, so we'll take them on that line of attack.

Some interesting facts...

In 2008-09 season only 92 people were arrested for pitch incursions in 380 Premier League matches. Yesterday's celebrations were hardly unusual yet 7 people were arrested and charged. Sunderland had 24 fans arrested for pitch incursion in 2008-09, the highest in the Premier League. They also had more than twice the number of fans arrested at home matches overall than they had arrested at away games.

People moan about inconsistent refereeing, perhaps inconsistent policing at football matches should be highlighted because at most grounds they would not have been arrested or at worst would have just been ejected.

Thank you Beard! The police have made enough procedural errors particularly as my son is only 15, so we'll take them on that line of attack.

Some interesting facts...

In 2008-09 season only 92 people were arrested for pitch incursions in 380 Premier League matches. Yesterday's celebrations were hardly unusual yet 7 people were arrested and charged. Sunderland had 24 fans arrested for pitch incursion in 2008-09, the highest in the Premier League. They also had more than twice the number of fans arrested at home matches overall than they had arrested at away games.

People moan about inconsistent refereeing, perhaps inconsistent policing at football matches should be highlighted because at most grounds they would not have been arrested or at worst would have just been ejected.

i know exactly were you are comming from ive been to the riverside the stadium of light and st james park with my son and every time there was some kind fun and games with the north east police there style of policing stinks bully boy techniques if you sang or stood up once at st james you were out,riverside police just treat you like cattle and without doubt the worst was sunderland they threw one of our branch out because he looked like he had a drink before the game the best of it was they were selling drink inside the ground we actually spoke to a seargent who brought the guy in question back into the ground but raidng coaches heavy arm tactics they are a bunch of p----s

• 3 weeks later...

My 15 year old son was arrested when he stepped over the hoardings in an exuberant goal celebration at the Stadium of Light yesterday. He wasn't causing any trouble and has not been in any trouble with any authorities before. He has been charged with pitch incursion along with six other people and has to appear in court in January. This is totally ludicrous and we will be challenging the police procedures vigorously.

I have also written to the Football Supporters Federation and they have suggested I pass on their contact details for anyone else who has been affected as they will help with legal representation. Please contact Amanda Jacks:-

Amanda.jacks@fsf.org.uk

The heavy handed reputation of the stewards and police at the Stadium of Light leaves a lot to be desired and they don't seem to apply any common sense whatsoever.

alright mate i was arrested at that match aswell, and i have got to attend court up in sunderland. im not due there till the 22nd of jan. has your son attended yet? if he has what happend over it?

He was due to appear in court earlier this month but it was adjourned until 28th January. Because he's only 15 and hasn't been in trouble before he should not have been charged and should have received a reprimand in accordance with Youth Justice procedures. This has now been acknowledged by Northumbria Police and we are now deciding whether we want to accept this or take it to court anyway to clear him completely on the basis that Fellaini was a contributory factor that led to the pitch incursion and I was told by the Superintendent responsible for policing at The Stadium of Light that the players had been told before the game not to celebrate in front of the fans. I emailed David Moyes and included the following paragraph:-

'Unfortunately the players going towards the crowd was the catalyst for what happened and it is sad that arrests were the result of what was an enjoyable moment for the players and supporters. I would hate to see there being no 'connection' between players and supporters but perhaps you might make the players aware that their actions can result in problems for supporters.'

I was disappointed not to receive a response but perhaps he will at least have noted my comments.

Also the Safety Manager at Sunderland has put it in writing that there are stewards positioned by every aperture to help prevent pitch incursions, which was clearly not the case. The only steward visible in front of our fans was sitting by the advertsing hoardings and not within 10 feet of one of the openings. Had they been where he said there may not have been anyone going into the prohibited area.

Given that there was an identical scenario in the previous home game against Portsmouth (a late equaliser at the same end by the visitors which ended in at least 3 arrests) it could be argued that a repeat was foreseeable and more preventative measures taken towards the end of the game.

Hope that helps, Chris. Good luck with your case and I would strongly recommend you take legal advice from a solicitor who is familiar with criminal proceedings.

• 3 weeks later...

just letting you know that my court case got ajurned to the second of march and they are looking on giveing me a 3 year banning order from any everton and england match. plus i have to surender my passport to the police 3 days before everton or england are playing out of the uk.

You've not said what you're charged with Chris.....or whether you're guilty or not :) .

Its quite obvious that scousers receive harsh treatment at away games.... I only attend 4 or 5 away games a season but I seem to see the same treatment everywhere I go..... Generally our away is fantastic.. I would say we have one of the better behaved away day supports

London games usually are the worst.. sometimes its been the police sometimes the stewards or sometimes just the local people....

We have our bad reputation and its not going to wash off easily.....

A few mad ones

Ive been "detained" in Saisburys... or was it a Tesco for bying a six pack with a "dodgy" £20 pound note at Selhurst park....

Penned in at White Heart Lane and forced to board a train back to Liverpool after the game.... even though I could prove I was staying in London

Im a scouser.... It seems thats enough

Penned in at White Heart Lane and forced to board a train back to Liverpool after the game.... even though I could prove I was staying in London

Reminds me of many a game at Chelsea in the eighties. I lived in Wimbledon so when I got to Fulham Broadway after games I needed to go south but the police would never let me over the bridge to the right platform so I had to go to West Brompton, get off and go back from there. There was no reasoning with them then and it seems there still isn't.

Chris,

That's ridiculous. I am sure you don't want to give everything away on here but if all you did was celebrate the goal by running towards the players and this was your first offence then that is totally over the top.

I'm not sure what I can say about my son's case but let's just say he got what he deserved <_<