IGNORED

Bily; Where Should He Play

Memmaclub

fair enough, ive agreed with you each time but im trying to look at this realistically and youre not offering an alternative, youre just sayin no! Assuming we cant bring anyone in (which is likely until we sell someone), who do you put on the RW? Or where do you put Bily? You cant just leave him sitting on the bench and he is not going to displace Arteta, Peanuts, Skippy or Screech. You dont pay 9mill or whatever it was for someone to sit on the bench mate, and since he is a midfielder, and the others wont be dropped unless injured/suspended, what do you do with him?

(maybe move this little debate to a new thread, gone a little off topic here!)

I want him just behind the striker, there's really no other place for him. I love Cahill but it's time. I know it's not going to happen but he's Cahill's successor in my eyes.

You don't pay £9million for a player and then play him out of position either tbh. And I'd rather him sit on the bench til he gets his go behind the striker than have him stink out the place by playing like dogshit. Harsh, but that's how it should be.

And I don't know who I want on the RW. It's a problem that Moyes should have solved a long time ago, because it's been our achilles heel for quite some time.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want him just behind the striker, there's really no other place for him. I love Cahill but it's time. I know it's not going to happen but he's Cahill's successor in my eyes.

You don't pay £9million for a player and then play him out of position either tbh. And I'd rather him sit on the bench til he gets his go behind the striker than have him stink out the place by playing like dogshit. Harsh, but that's how it should be.

And I don't know who I want on the RW. It's a problem that Moyes should have solved a long time ago, because it's been our achilles heel for quite some time.

It wouldnt be the 1st time and sure as shit wont be the last. I dont like the idea of leaving on the bench because hes not going to be match fit when his chance comes along. I would rather him play in a position that isnt his best (apparently he has even played defence :blink: ) and keep him match fit with such a good left foot on him cutting in from the right makes sense. Now, couple that with Coleman overlapping (i know i was talking about realistically but stay with me on this!) and he doesnt necessarily need lightning pace. He has the skills and power in those feet and coming in off the right is the best place to play him at the moment.

It wouldnt be the 1st time and sure as shit wont be the last. I dont like the idea of leaving on the bench because hes not going to be match fit when his chance comes along. I would rather him play in a position that isnt his best (apparently he has even played defence :blink: ) and keep him match fit with such a good left foot on him cutting in from the right makes sense. Now, couple that with Coleman overlapping (i know i was talking about realistically but stay with me on this!) and he doesnt necessarily need lightning pace. He has the skills and power in those feet and coming in off the right is the best place to play him at the moment.

You're right it won't be the last time, but playing people out of position really pisses me off. It's my pet hate.

He has the skills and power in those feet sure, but he doesn't have the pace. His vision would be immense in the middle of the park, whether that's in midfield or behind the striker.

I've said before that we need balance in our midfield and playing Bily on the right won't do that, we'll still be as redundant that side as we are now. And that's precisely because he'd be cutting inside on to his left foot and because he won't be able to go past the man to give us that go forward - we've seen all last season that he just passes backwards.

Done :).

good man, we can be friends now! :P

Wiki, the fountain of all knowledge and information, says left wing. But I wouldnt want to break up Baines and Pienaar. Coleman and Bily could have a cracking partnership similar to Baines/Pienaar, Peanuts isnt lighning quick either and relies a lot on Baines' overlaps. Wishful thinking i know, but would love to see it happen...

Edited by galacticaracnid

The fact he has no pace and cant go past a man doesnt mean he cant play out wide. Kevin Sheedy and David Beckham spring to mind!

The thing that was so frustrating about Bily last season was that he always looked to pass backwards, and that's because he has no pace and can't beat the man. I just don't see the benefit of having him out wide at all. His talents are wasted there IMO.

Didn't arteta play on the wide for us?

To be honest Bily should play where he's needed like every other everton player. It'll make him a better player, and when the chance arises he can play in his preferred position. If pienaar stays and we get a right winger we won't start him anyway....

Yes Arteta did play out wide for us, are you suggesting he does that again?

I'm sure Bily will play where he's needed, as he showed last season. But the question is where should he play. And I don't think either wing is where he should play, it stifles us.

I wouldn't recommend Arteta on the wide again at all, because it's become obvious his forte is in the middle of the park, but we clearly lack a winger with pace for the right hand side, and it needs to be addressed.

As for where Bily should play, personally I think behind the striker is the wrong position. I've seen no evidence of him being a poacher like Cahill, nor has he the heading ability to deal with long balls heaped forward in desperation. I would think he looks more like a Lampard sort of player, left central midfield, able to pass well and tackle, capable of long shots and good crosses, not much pace but good composure.

In fact, I could see him being proficient in that sort of position, but it would push Fellaini out of the squad, and leave us with cover needed on right and left midfield. To me though, that is where his ability would be put to best use.

As for where Bily should play, personally I think behind the striker is the wrong position. I've seen no evidence of him being a poacher like Cahill, nor has he the heading ability to deal with long balls heaped forward in desperation.

I never said he was like Cahill, I said earlier that he'd get as many goals as Cahill (IMO) but they'd be completely different. I don't want him behind the striker because he can poach or win headers, I want him there because it'd give him the freedom to float about, link-up the midfield effectively, set up the striker, score goals. I want him in the Cahill position but not to play the Cahill role.

I never said he was like Cahill, I said earlier that he'd get as many goals as Cahill (IMO) but they'd be completely different. I don't want him behind the striker because he can poach or win headers, I want him there because it'd give him the freedom to float about, link-up the midfield effectively, set up the striker, score goals. I want him in the Cahill position but not to play the Cahill role.

Isn't that where Pienaar would be best as well? the best I've seen him play is in a free creative role, linking up play, creating attacking options. Playing wide left he has to constantly cut in on his right because he is not naturally left footed, and cuts inside a lot. Playing in a team is about compromise, it didn't work for england, but they weren't playing for each toher. It works for Everton, and while I agree in priniciple that linking up play is what Bily will eventually become best at for us, at this point a lot of players could do that, and I would rather Cahill to stay where he is while he can still do what he does.

I think Bily would work better a bit deeper, next to arteta in the middle, but that's my opinion.

Isn't that where Pienaar would be best as well? the best I've seen him play is in a free creative role, linking up play, creating attacking options. Playing wide left he has to constantly cut in on his right because he is not naturally left footed, and cuts inside a lot. Playing in a team is about compromise, it didn't work for england, but they weren't playing for each toher. It works for Everton, and while I agree in priniciple that linking up play is what Bily will eventually become best at for us, at this point a lot of players could do that, and I would rather Cahill to stay where he is while he can still do what he does.

I think Bily would work better a bit deeper, next to arteta in the middle, but that's my opinion.

Yeah it is but Pienaar is still effective on the wing, and he's formed a cracking partnership with Baines out wide.

The reason I want Cahill phasing out this season is because he's getting on, and we'll need to find a system that works without him in it. And last season I thought he looked a bit crap compared to his usual high standards. If he goes back to how he's always been before then that's brilliant for us, but for much of last season he showed poor form.

I agree that Bily would be good, brilliant even, left of Arteta in the middle, but I don't think we're gonna have a midfield with no defensive midfielder in it.

Surely a compromise can be made though, for example, in a perfect world, come january we loan Donovan and this is our starting 11:

---------------Howard-------------------

Neville----Jagielka----Heitinga----Baines

--------------Fellaini------------------

Donovan----Arteta----Bilyaletdinov----Pienaar

----------------Saha--------------------

That to me is a team without Cahill that could finish 4th. Bily and Arteta in the Centre, Fellaini behind moving up for attacks, Donovan and Pienaar cutting in with Neville and Baines down the flanks.

---------------Howard-------------------

Neville----Jagielka----Heitinga----Baines

--------------Fellaini------------------

Donovan----Arteta----Bilyaletdinov----Pienaar

----------------Saha--------------------

Decent team but if Ossie can play approaching the level he did against United at Goodison in February (and I think he raises his game when the team is playing well) Bily will be lucky to get a sniff.

He can't grab hold of a game and turn it himself but then I can't see Bily doing that either.

I'm afraid I'm still unconvinced that he's going to come good personally. A few quality finishes don't cover up eighty-nine minutes of mediocrity per game and I don't think that can all be put down to fatigue.

Be delighted to be proved wrong :) .

Looking at the way we finished last season, I get the feeling Moyes is looking to play a much narrower 3 up front (striker and two wingers). Vic played a lot at the end of the season cutting in from the left and Billy did the same when he played by starting wide and then drifting inside. In fact Donovan also did it (but also worked down the wings a lot more than we have seen for a long time down the right!), just look at his goal against City. Furthermore Pienaar also cuts inside often, generally allowing Baines to overlap. I dont really think we play with 'wingers' and I dont think we will play like that especially with the signings of Gueye and Silva. From what I have read they seem like winger/strikers.

The problem Billy has compared to the likes of Pienaar or Donovan is that he doesnt beat his man. It doesnt have to be a problem if he then whips in a quality ball, but last season he looked backwards and put others under pressure. However, he also didnt really have an overlapping option to often and in one of his best games against Man City he played from the left with Baines raiding down the flank. With Coleman down that wing and getting involved it may well 'cover-up' one of his deficiencies?

When we attack it 'should' look a bit like this:

------------Jags-------------Heitinga

---------------------Felli

---------------Arteta-----Rodwell

Coleman----------------------------------Baines

----------Billy----------------Pienaar

----------------------Yak

This 'in theory' means we should have width provided by the fullbacks (and also the wingers if needed' as well as having numbers in the box, especially when you add one of the central midfielders getting forward as well. I dont think it would necessarily work like this with Cahill in the team as that makes us more of a two up top but hopefully you get where Im coming from.

Overall if we want Billy to play like a winger, then we have wasted 9mil, if we want him to cut inside (and provide width if necessary) then we could have a gem of a player a he has showed at times.

Edited by Bailey

Looking at the way we finished last season, I get the feeling Moyes is looking to play a much narrower 3 up front (striker and two wingers). Vic played a lot at the end of the season cutting in from the left and Billy did the same when he played by starting wide and then drifting inside. In fact Donovan also did it (but also worked down the wings a lot more than we have seen for a long time down the right!), just look at his goal against City. Furthermore Pienaar also cuts inside often, generally allowing Baines to overlap. I dont really think we play with 'wingers' and I dont think we will play like that especially with the signings of Gueye and Silva. From what I have read they seem like winger/strikers.

The problem Billy has compared to the likes of Pienaar or Donovan is that he doesnt beat his man. It doesnt have to be a problem if he then whips in a quality ball, but last season he looked backwards and put others under pressure. However, he also didnt really have an overlapping option to often and in one of his best games against Man City he played from the left with Baines raiding down the flank. With Coleman down that wing and getting involved it may well 'cover-up' one of his deficiencies?

This 'in theory' means we should have width provided by the fullbacks (and also the wingers if needed' as well as having numbers in the box, especially when you add one of the central midfielders getting forward as well. I dont think it would necessarily work like this with Cahill in the team as that makes us more of a two up top but hopefully you get where Im coming from.

Overall if we want Billy to play like a winger, then we have wasted 9mil, if we want him to cut inside (and provide width if necessary) then we could have a gem of a player a he has showed at times.

This, except id have Saha ahead of Yak.

Yep, all day for me, looks quality on paper. There's even an argument to play Cahill up top in that team.

At the risk of straying off topic slightly, I personally think the centre forward as the role is traditionally understood is becoming redundant anyway - look at the world cup, apart from Klose, all the other top 'forwards' weren't playing down the centre, they were either pulling out wide or dropping deeper in what at times became highly fluid six-man midfields. I think we've got the kind of players who can make this kind of football work - mobile, disciplined, tactically aware with a fair amount of technical ability between them to boot. Cahill is brilliant at getting back, doing his job defensively and then making runs from deep to provide an outlet upfront - it worked when he had to play up top on his own a couple of seasons back coz of all the injuries. Anyway, just a thought... B)

Edited by nogs

Yep, all day for me, looks quality on paper. There's even an argument to play Cahill up top in that team.

At the risk of straying off topic slightly, I personally think the centre forward as the role is traditionally understood is becoming redundant anyway - look at the world cup, apart from Klose, all the other top 'forwards' weren't playing down the centre, they were either pulling out wide or dropping deeper in what at times became highly fluid six-man midfields. I think we've got the kind of players who can make this kind of football work - mobile, disciplined, tactically aware with a fair amount of technical ability between them to boot. Cahill is brilliant at getting back, doing his job defensively and then making runs from deep to provide an outlet upfront - it worked when he had to play up top on his own a couple of seasons back coz of all the injuries. Anyway, just a thought... B)

I understand what your staying but I dont agree entirely... As you say most central strikers nowadays either drop back, pull out wide or run channels creating space in the middle for the more attacking midfielders to break into. Thats generally fine when we see a lot of the ball, as the movement creates room to exploit but I dont think it works as well when we dont have the ball that often, especially if like us you get the wide players retreating to help the FB's.

So what I would say about the Cahill 6man midfield is that it would work well when we are supposed to be on top and were able to control the ball and build from the back, but as soon as our defenders got pressured they would just hoof it to no-one, meaning we would never get the ball back!

The thing I think Moyes still hasnt quite cottoned on to completely using a 4-5-1 system is that we have to have someone supporting the striker, otherwise they lose it. Traditionally we had Cahill playing off or alongside a striker and when we had to go defensive he would drop way to deep and therefore we would invite more pressure on ourselves. Against Hull last year (and in the couple of games Cahill was injured) we changed it slightly and had Yakubu on his own, with both central midfielders (rodwell & Arteta) breaking very quickly to support him. It meant that when a ball came into Yakubu, he was able to simply lay it off and bring others into play as there was always someone available (except the 20ish mins after we scored the 1st). IMO too often we see the central striker all alone and we just hoof it up to him and he has f*** all chance of retaining possession. Apologies for going completely off topic!

I understand what your staying but I dont agree entirely... As you say most central strikers nowadays either drop back, pull out wide or run channels creating space in the middle for the more attacking midfielders to break into. Thats generally fine when we see a lot of the ball, as the movement creates room to exploit but I dont think it works as well when we dont have the ball that often, especially if like us you get the wide players retreating to help the FB's.

So what I would say about the Cahill 6man midfield is that it would work well when we are supposed to be on top and were able to control the ball and build from the back, but as soon as our defenders got pressured they would just hoof it to no-one, meaning we would never get the ball back!

The thing I think Moyes still hasnt quite cottoned on to completely using a 4-5-1 system is that we have to have someone supporting the striker, otherwise they lose it. Traditionally we had Cahill playing off or alongside a striker and when we had to go defensive he would drop way to deep and therefore we would invite more pressure on ourselves. Against Hull last year (and in the couple of games Cahill was injured) we changed it slightly and had Yakubu on his own, with both central midfielders (rodwell & Arteta) breaking very quickly to support him. It meant that when a ball came into Yakubu, he was able to simply lay it off and bring others into play as there was always someone available (except the 20ish mins after we scored the 1st). IMO too often we see the central striker all alone and we just hoof it up to him and he has f*** all chance of retaining possession. Apologies for going completely off topic!

Just to continue the off-topicness a while longer... Yeah I hadn't thought about the fact our centre backs are generally quite dreadful at distributing the ball. Surely there must be a way to train the big hoof out of them - electroshock maybe? Thing is, as you say, even if we do play a centre forward, the big hoof doesn't work anyway, so what formation we play becomes pretty obsolete.

Back on topic... Bily's best natural position is probably some kind of old-fashioned inside left, so maybe best way to accomodate him is in the 4-3-3 you drew out Bailey, just swapping him and Pienaar, or maybe a 4-1-4-1, something like this: (yeah I'm going back on the six-man midfield thing for now...)

----------------Howard

Coleman------Jags-----Heitinga------Baines

----------------Felli

Osman/Rodders---Arteta-----Bily/Cahill---Pienaar

----------------Saha

Just to continue the off-topicness a while longer... Yeah I hadn't thought about the fact our centre backs are generally quite dreadful at distributing the ball. Surely there must be a way to train the big hoof out of them - electroshock maybe? Thing is, as you say, even if we do play a centre forward, the big hoof doesn't work anyway, so what formation we play becomes pretty obsolete.

Lol, the thing is they can play, just not when pressured. Having Felli as the Dm (and Heits CB)seemed to help them a lot as he always provided an outlet, which the other DM's we played didnt.

Although I agree the big hoof doesnt work, it helps to have someone up there pressuring them. While our hoofball tends to go to no-one, on occasion we manage to aim it somewhere near our own player and we can keep the ball, or at least make it harder for them to play it back, or even make a mistake (especially against good ole Titus Bramble!). With no-one up there, good players particularly will control it and keep the ball too easily IMO.