IGNORED

Bily; Where Should He Play

Memmaclub

i think he will be quality given a bit of time and some rest and has shown his potential in some big games, united and for Russia vs Slovenia(those two goals were mint) thing is he must be knackered which is probably why he seamed more consistent at the start of the season, as mentioned somewhere else didnt he come straight from playing the Russian league to playing here? thats like a back to back seasons

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think he will be quality given a bit of time and some rest and has shown his potential in some big games, united and for Russia vs Slovenia(those two goals were mint) thing is he must be knackered which is probably why he seamed more consistent at the start of the season, as mentioned somewhere else didnt he come straight from playing the Russian league to playing here? thats like a back to back seasons

yeah he did which kinda makes me thankful russia didnt qualify! at least he gets a summer break!

He has said himself that the tired thing is a load of bollocks because he has hardly played all year, either at Everton or back in Russia. Like most people Im hoping its just a case of him getting a good preseason behind him.

Either way at the moment the answer to the question about where he should play is simple...... the reserves

Pace isn't everything. The best LM Everton have had in my memory (Kevin Sheedy) was all left foot, but what a left foot. Billy is a very cultured player and it's hard to find those. If he can swing them across like Sheedy and work with Baines overlapping, I don't see why he couldn't fulfill a similar role. Width is very important, as is good balance, in a team. I think he'll come good.

Well with Russia not in the WC, he should have plenty of time to recoup over the summer ( if fatigue is the issue)! I think the most important factor is that his technique is superb, he just needs some Moyes magic to improve the other facets to his game, i.e work rate, strength, speed of play. Arteta came here with plenty of technique and after he added those other attributes his game...well we all know how important he is now. I think confidence may also be playing a big part in his form this season, he played mostly in the early/middle stages of the season when we were ravaged with injury and playing with zero confidence. Hopefully the winning attitude and competition for places will help him up his game.

I say give the lad a chance, and we can make our minds up next season!

Its definitely more than two!? As stated above, he had loads in the Europa league?

He got three in his first start (against AEK), one the following week at Hull in the Carling Cup, everyone (me included) got very excited about him and it's been downhill all the way from then :( .

I've not written off his chances of being a success but on the basis of what I've seen I'm not overly confident.

• 4 weeks later...

hadnt seen that Mike.... Truely terrible :D

aaaanyway, check this:

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2010/04/30/-billy-one-to-watch-next-year-

some interesting facts:

Everton have not lost on any of the six occasions when the former Lokomotiv Moscow player has been on the scoresheet since his arrvial

Billy's transfer to Everton came immediately after the gruelling Russian season, meaning he has been playing solidly for almost 18 months

no wonder he is knackered! Just as well Russia arent going to the world cup otherwise he wouldnt be able to walk next season!

Edited by galacticaracnid

Bily's problem isn't that he's been poor with ball to feet. Every ball-player on our team (Pienaar, Arteta, Osman.. etc.) make the same mistakes and the same amount of poor passes, but Bily's problem is that hasn't been able to get on the ball enough to show his quality. That'll come with fitness. I have no doubt he has the ability to succeed here. The pre-season will do him good.

• 2 months later...

I think he will ok over there after a break. Where else is he going to play?

He won't, nothing will make a difference to his wing play because he's just not a winger!

He's a left-sided central midfielder but he's not going to get there unless Arteta leaves (which I hope won't be happening). But I think he'd be best in the floating role behind the striker. So this season I'd want Cahill phasing out (he's getting on now after all) and Bily being given a go there. I think he'd be absolutely brilliant there and would get just as many goals as Cahill does from there, albeit different types of goals.

He won't, nothing will make a difference to his wing play because he's just not a winger!

He's a left-sided central midfielder but he's not going to get there unless Arteta leaves (which I hope won't be happening). But I think he'd be best in the floating role behind the striker. So this season I'd want Cahill phasing out (he's getting on now after all) and Bily being given a go there. I think he'd be absolutely brilliant there and would get just as many goals as Cahill does from there, albeit different types of goals.

Since Timmy has just signed a new contract i dont see him being phased out (agree with you there though) and he is one of Moyes' ever presents, even during phases of poor form. Unless he is injured or suspended, Skippy wont be dropped. So where else do you put him? I dont want to see him warming the bench and the only real place open for him is RW (unless Arteta and/or Peanuts leave - heaven forbid).

If he plays on the wing he's going to look shite, just like last season, so I hope Moyes doesn't see him as our answer on the right. I'm sick of having someone on the right who 'can do a job', I want a proper winger out there so we can have some balance to the midfield, because right now we're lop-sided so sides know that if they shut our left side down then they pretty much shut Everton down.

If he plays on the wing he's going to look shite, just like last season, so I hope Moyes doesn't see him as our answer on the right. I'm sick of having someone on the right who 'can do a job', I want a proper winger out there so we can have some balance to the midfield, because right now we're lop-sided so sides know that if they shut our left side down then they pretty much shut Everton down.

Agree completely, we definately need a class RW. But who's to say Bily wont be better this season. Last season he was thrown into a squad in poor form, in a completely new league after having played 1/2 a season in another league. Im feeling he was overwhelmed and under too much pressure. This year i expect something much better, similar to Felli's form. Took him a while to find his favourite postion and settle, here is hoping Bily finds his on the right and shines. Dont get me wrong, I would welcome Lando back with open arms, but considering we are strapped for cash as normal, not sure that will happen. And who else do you play there? Push Coleman up a bit? Ossie, as much as i love him, is kak on the right, and there is noone else to play there. Bily cuttin in onto that left foot is quite an exciting prospect!

Bily lacks pace to be a classy winger. If he can play higher up the pitch, for exemple supporting the striker, that left foot of his will be a lot more dangerous.

A right winger (preferably Donovan) needs to be added to the squad and a back-up for Baines, and I think we'll be pushing top 4 then.

Agree completely, we definately need a class RW. But who's to say Bily wont be better this season. Last season he was thrown into a squad in poor form, in a completely new league after having played 1/2 a season in another league. Im feeling he was overwhelmed and under too much pressure. This year i expect something much better, similar to Felli's form. Took him a while to find his favourite postion and settle, here is hoping Bily finds his on the right and shines. Dont get me wrong, I would welcome Lando back with open arms, but considering we are strapped for cash as normal, not sure that will happen. And who else do you play there? Push Coleman up a bit? Ossie, as much as i love him, is kak on the right, and there is noone else to play there. Bily cuttin in onto that left foot is quite an exciting prospect!

Spidey, when he came here he said he wasn't a winger, so I very much doubt that he'll find the right wing becomes his favourite position. He's simply not a winger, and as far as I'm concerned, that's plain as day.

Spidey, when he came here he said he wasn't a winger, so I very much doubt that he'll find the right wing becomes his favourite position. He's simply not a winger, and as far as I'm concerned, that's plain as day.

fair enough, ive agreed with you each time but im trying to look at this realistically and youre not offering an alternative, youre just sayin no! Assuming we cant bring anyone in (which is likely until we sell someone), who do you put on the RW? Or where do you put Bily? You cant just leave him sitting on the bench and he is not going to displace Arteta, Peanuts, Skippy or Screech. You dont pay 9mill or whatever it was for someone to sit on the bench mate, and since he is a midfielder, and the others wont be dropped unless injured/suspended, what do you do with him?

(maybe move this little debate to a new thread, gone a little off topic here!)