IGNORED

Thank God For Bill Kenwright

jcrawfor

I know I'm gonna get destroyed by more than a few Bill-Bashers for this bit, but I feel compelled to say something.

Everton FC, both fans, players and staff are perhaps among the luckiest clubs in the World in terms of ownership. I say this not because BK is full of money (I think we all know better than that) nor do I fail to realize he appears to have other shortcomings, no I think this because BK is a Blue. How many clubs in the world are owned by a true fan; someone who has cheered the club since boyhood? Can't think of many, and the few that are around aren't exactly the creme de la creme. BK has done marvelous things for the club; during his ownership we've gone from relegation fodder to Europe regulars, and while BK's financial ability to take us any further may be the factor that eventually sees him take a smaller role in the club, I for one would never speak in favor of him leaving altogether.

I say all this in light of the Pompey takeover(s) saga. I don't know what I'd do if BK sold to a bum like any of the owners who have taken over at Pompey this term. Apparently the newest guy (from Hong Kong) wants to sell ASAP as he hasn't any interest in the club. I feel awful for what Portsmouth fans are being put through these days. I am sad to see them being the only team in the Prem with a virtual guarantee of relegation as I rather like them.

Apart from the Pompey situation, I am glad to have BK around because he (and his CEOs) have made us to have one of the lowest debt ratios in the Prem. Owners like Gillette and the Glazers have quite grossly over leveraged their clubs and now face a financial balancing act to make sure they can continue to service those debts, we on the other hand have little worry about not being able to make the annual payments on debt. In my eyes, there is one type of owner that is worse than the former; Abromovich and Sheik Mansour. While the club's books may show that the club has large amounts of equity, in reality the club's entire existence and success are attributable to one person. As we all know, personal fortunes, no matter how great, can and do fail. If those owners come upon rough times and lose major parts of their wealth, you can bet they will sell for cheap and run leaving the club in relative ruin.

So it is with all this that I again say, THANK GOD FOR BILL KENWRIGHT.

I totally agree and always have done, although you'll probably get some abuse from the BK bashers. It's funny how some people slate Kenwright, yet stick up for Rooney. One is truly 'once a blue, always a blue' the other just said it then ditched us the first chance he got. Kenwright saved us from the biggest buffoon in Everton history - Peter Johnson - and got us the best manager in the business imo, plus has consistently brokered fantastic transfer deals. He and Moyes have given Evertonians their pride back.

Looking around at the mess that most of the taken over clubs are in, I find it incredible/disgraceful that any Evertonian could have a go at Kenwright.

I'll start the counter views! The positive about bill is that he is very visible and passionate about the club in a way few clubs could boast from a chairman. That said, many of the thousands of fans would be just as passionate in such a position. To champion a chairman because he is a fan would be short sighted. You have to look at the value he gives. If he is to be given credit for moyes, who was actually personally recommended by walter smith then he needs to be held accountable for kings dock also. Fact is kenwright messed that one up badly. A defining moment in the clubs history gone, was it his battle with gregg, his time spent in london on theatre business? Whatever, he was on the hook for that decision. Brokering deals? Getting 20m for lescott was going rate, it's only his poor form for city that is justifying it. You can't be thankful for bill because clubs like portsmouth are worse off, do you celebrate having a cold when you see someone with the flu? When it boils down to it there isn't much to champion about kenwright, applying the same passion for the team in line with bill is just wrong. Kenwright taking credit for team performances is like getting credit for a crackin meal made by your wife just cos you went shopping with the list she gave you. especially when you are eating it in a house that you needed to move from years ago when the mansion you dreamed of was affordable.

That said, many of the thousands of fans would be just as passionate in such a position.

Of course they would, what's your point? Thousands of fans don't have the finances to be in his position.

If he is to be given credit for moyes, who was actually personally recommended by walter smith then he needs to be held accountable for kings dock also.

Recommended by Walter Smith (evidence?) - anyway, employed by Kenwright. He didn't have to employ Moyes on someone's say so.

Getting 20m for lescott was going rate, it's only his poor form for city that is justifying it.

Going rate? Vidic going to Real Madrid for £20m is going rate, Lescott is not a £20m player.

You can't be thankful for bill because clubs like portsmouth are worse off, do you celebrate having a cold when you see someone with the flu?

Of course we can, that comment alone gives me brain ache...if you have a cold and see someone with the flu, you don't wish you had the flu too - you are thankful you are not in the same state of health.

The mere fact we have not in financial turmoil (don't try to confuse our debt as turmoil) with the threat of winding up orders is something to be thankful for in the current climate.

When it boils down to it there isn't much to champion about kenwright, applying the same passion for the team in line with bill is just wrong.

Spoken like a true Kenwright basher.

Of course they would, what's your point? Thousands of fans don't have the finances to be in his position.

Recommended by Walter Smith (evidence?) - anyway, employed by Kenwright. He didn't have to employ Moyes on someone's say so.

Going rate? Vidic going to Real Madrid for £20m is going rate, Lescott is not a £20m player.

Of course we can, that comment alone gives me brain ache...if you have a cold and see someone with the flu, you don't wish you had the flu too - you are thankful you are not in the same state of health.

The mere fact we have not in financial turmoil (don't try to confuse our debt as turmoil) with the threat of winding up orders is something to be thankful for in the current climate.

good post.

Also, King's Dock was NEVER going to happen, everyone I knew who worked in high level business knew that well in advance as the traffic would have been mental and no one wanted thousands of football fans walking through the city centre trashing the place. It was a pipe dream. Get over it.

Did Ball, Jeffers, McFadden & Barmby all go for the going rate as well?

Well said EW saved me having to make a long winded post!

I nearly fell off my chair when I read that bit about Lescott!

One by one:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/bill-kenwright-the-son-of-the-stage-turning-goodison-into-his-very-own-theatre-of-dreams-611699.html

Here is proof of Walters recommendation from Bills mouth, plus promises of the Kings dock.

Thousand of fans don't have the money to be in his position, that's correct, and neither does he.

Lescott is an England international who can play left back, centre half and has a good scoring record. He is worth £20m because that is what city were prepared to pay, has Vidic gone for £20m? No. Will he go for £20m? Depends whether Ferguson wants to keep him till his contract ends or at what price to sell. Regardless... kenwright brokering deals a skill? not really, he sells players who want to leave the club and gets the best price he can, if you sell your house for what someone is prepared to pay for it does that make you skilled? Not really.

If it wasn't for Moyes ability to run this club on nothing Kenwright would be out by now. So let's not celebrate Bill, our success on the field has very little to do with him.

I think it was probably more than Smith's recommendation that led to Davey getting the job. Was widespread speculation, even getting as far as the CBBC website...

"The person most likely to take over seems to be Preston North End boss David Moyes, who took the club to the division one play offs last season, and is hotly tipped to become a very successful manager in the future."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/sport/newsid_1870000/1870925.stm

Maybe Walter gave the benefit of his wisdom to a Blue Peter presenter on the quiet as well as BK?

He self evidently does have the money to be where he is. It'd be nice if he had more admittedly.

Lescott went for closer to £24m I thought. Stupid money, whoever negotiated it.

I'm a Kenwright fan, always have been.

One by one:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/bill-kenwright-the-son-of-the-stage-turning-goodison-into-his-very-own-theatre-of-dreams-611699.html

Here is proof of Walters recommendation from Bills mouth, plus promises of the Kings dock.

Thousand of fans don't have the money to be in his position, that's correct, and neither does he.

Lescott is an England international who can play left back, centre half and has a good scoring record. He is worth £20m because that is what city were prepared to pay, has Vidic gone for £20m? No. Will he go for £20m? Depends whether Ferguson wants to keep him till his contract ends or at what price to sell. Regardless... kenwright brokering deals a skill? not really, he sells players who want to leave the club and gets the best price he can, if you sell your house for what someone is prepared to pay for it does that make you skilled? Not really.

If it wasn't for Moyes ability to run this club on nothing Kenwright would be out by now. So let's not celebrate Bill, our success on the field has very little to do with him.

I wasn't going to get involved in this debate, but really Hafnia, this is just rubbish. To suggest that the success of the club has very little to do with Kenwright is so naive. If chairmen have so little to do with the success of a club - take a look over the park. Then look at Portsmouth, Leeds, West Ham, Rangers - all clubs that have spent more than EFC and rotated managers and playing staff endlessly. Compare that with successful clubs (and I mean clubs and not just teams) like Villa, Arsenal and us and look at what stability, vision & determination can do for you.

Those attributes come from a philosophy throughout the club and are driven top-down.

One by one:

Come on have a word with yourself! If you cant see that the Lescott deal was a fantastic piece of business then there is no point trying to have a reasonable debate with you

Even Moyse himself acknowledged ho good BK was at negotiating the best deals possible when we have had to sell players, the fact that those players wanted to leave makes the price we got for them even more comendable

Come on have a word with yourself! If you cant see that the Lescott deal was a fantastic piece of business then there is no point trying to have a reasonable debate with you

Even Moyse himself acknowledged ho good BK was at negotiating the best deals possible when we have had to sell players, the fact that those players wanted to leave makes the price we got for them even more comendable

Don't really wanna get involved in this but wanted to make one comment, I saw an interview with BK where he talked about sacking Walter and WS asked him if he had anyone in mind. BK apparently mentioned Moyse and WS said "you can do much worse". So on that basis, WS only seconded BK's views. Not sure how true that is but it is literally from the horses (BK's) mouth (albeit after the event).

We've all knocked BK in the past, mainly because he hasn't had the funds to match the so called big 4 but admittedly he has done us proud in not selling us out, whether his reasons for not doing so were honourable or not (some suggest he just didn't want to sell but I dunno)! He's proud to be a Blue as are the rest of us so on the eve of the Derby, let's stop all the fussin and the feudin and get behind the team and pray for a win tomorra COYB FTRS!!!!

Don't really wanna get involved in this but wanted to make one comment, I saw an interview with BK where he talked about sacking Walter and WS asked him if he had anyone in mind. BK apparently mentioned Moyse and WS said "you can do much worse". So on that basis, WS only seconded BK's views. Not sure how true that is but it is literally from the horses (BK's) mouth (albeit after the event).

We've all knocked BK in the past, mainly because he hasn't had the funds to match the so called big 4 but admittedly he has done us proud in not selling us out, whether his reasons for not doing so were honourable or not (some suggest he just didn't want to sell but I dunno)! He's proud to be a Blue as are the rest of us so on the eve of the Derby, let's stop all the fussin and the feudin and get behind the team and pray for a win tomorra COYB FTRS!!!!

Agreed, one thing I don't dispute is backing the 11 out there. Get stuck in boys, Fellaini to score, i'm betting on it. Set pieces are gonna be a nightmare for them tomorrow. If Bill gets on and scores, i'll forget Kings Dock!

I know I'm gonna get destroyed by more than a few Bill-Bashers for this bit, but I feel compelled to say something.

Everton FC, both fans, players and staff are perhaps among the luckiest clubs in the World in terms of ownership. I say this not because BK is full of money (I think we all know better than that) nor do I fail to realize he appears to have other shortcomings, no I think this because BK is a Blue. How many clubs in the world are owned by a true fan; someone who has cheered the club since boyhood? Can't think of many, and the few that are around aren't exactly the creme de la creme. BK has done marvelous things for the club; during his ownership we've gone from relegation fodder to Europe regulars, and while BK's financial ability to take us any further may be the factor that eventually sees him take a smaller role in the club, I for one would never speak in favor of him leaving altogether.

I say all this in light of the Pompey takeover(s) saga. I don't know what I'd do if BK sold to a bum like any of the owners who have taken over at Pompey this term. Apparently the newest guy (from Hong Kong) wants to sell ASAP as he hasn't any interest in the club. I feel awful for what Portsmouth fans are being put through these days. I am sad to see them being the only team in the Prem with a virtual guarantee of relegation as I rather like them.

Apart from the Pompey situation, I am glad to have BK around because he (and his CEOs) have made us to have one of the lowest debt ratios in the Prem. Owners like Gillette and the Glazers have quite grossly over leveraged their clubs and now face a financial balancing act to make sure they can continue to service those debts, we on the other hand have little worry about not being able to make the annual payments on debt. In my eyes, there is one type of owner that is worse than the former; Abromovich and Sheik Mansour. While the club's books may show that the club has large amounts of equity, in reality the club's entire existence and success are attributable to one person. As we all know, personal fortunes, no matter how great, can and do fail. If those owners come upon rough times and lose major parts of their wealth, you can bet they will sell for cheap and run leaving the club in relative ruin.

So it is with all this that I again say, THANK GOD FOR BILL KENWRIGHT.

Well said, totally agree 100%, we all need to thank our lucky stars that we have actually got somebody in charge who genuinely loves the club and for this we should all be very greatful, the Portsmouth situation only highlights this

My view is that Kenwright has done a decent job so far although I fear that if he continues for much longer as chairman without getting some investment then everything that has been built since he took over could come crumbling down.

He isnt a business man and I think that is his main weakness. He may have done okay brokering transfer deals but when you look at Everton FC as a business we could have been in a better position. When KD fell through we should have looked at slowly developing Goodison much like it seems we are going to now. We also sold off all our assets and until recently we had very little in the way of retail, especially in the city centre.

I also dont truelly believe he is looking to sell up (as one of the Kirkby reports suggested). IMO he is looking for someone to put money in without wanting a controlling share so that he can keep Everton under his guidance.

We need to look at ways to compete with the big boys otherwise we will never get any further as a club. We have grown and improved greatly under BK and DM but without more investment bigger clubs will come knocking for our players and manager and you can expect more 'Lescott Saga's' in the coming summers if nothing is done and when our players do go, BK will be remembered as being no better than Johnson.

I see City conceded at home to Stoke today.....they'd tightened up their defence recently I thought....then I noticed Joleon was back from injury, first full game :) . That explained it.

Im actually quite glad he has gone even if the circumstances werent great and that most of the replacements havent done much better.

He certainly has some real quality but he just switches off especially when exposed. Tbh I would rate him and Distin about the same, even if Distin is much older he was 1/5 of the price (ish). It also made me realise how good Jagielka is, not only his defensive skills but his organisation and leadership. To play alongside either Lescott or Yobo and keep clean sheets, as well as make them look solid speaks volumes.

except Distin hasn't scored once and Joleon put in 10 in one season for us.

He did but that was a bit of a freak season for him to be honest.

He scored eight in 169 games for Wolves....fourteen in total for Everton in 113 games and has got one for City so far so he's not exactly prolific over his career, just for that season.

Think those stats are league games only btw.

Agree with Bailey....Jags is the man....Lescott's not worth half what we got for him.

He did but that was a bit of a freak season for him to be honest.

He scored eight in 169 games for Wolves....fourteen in total for Everton in 113 games and has got one for City so far so he's not exactly prolific over his career, just for that season.

Think those stats are league games only btw.

Agree with Bailey....Jags is the man....Lescott's not worth half what we got for him.

Jags is far better than J-lo would ever have been, but Lescott is still a better center back than Distin has ever been.

Speaking to a city fan, I explained that we could effectively turn bog standard centre halves into multi million pound players just by playing them with Jags - which is why they ended up going for Joleon. It's kind of like the Gravesen / Carsley scenario. The one with the goals gets the plaudits, the organiser is the one who makes them look good. My guess is that when fit and they play Johnny next to Jags, teams will start looking at Johnny (hope not cos I like him). Jags will cover, Johnny will attack.

Anyhow, neither Moyes nor Bill turned Joleon into a £24m player - City's ridiculous money did that. If we were to be offered the £15m I think he was realistically valued at, no one would have thought it represented great value till they seen his performances for city.

Just really hoping that Jags gets back to his old ways would we have conceded goals like the ones against Liverpool, Arsenal etc? Very unlikely. It will be interesting to see what happens to players values when the market sorts itself out. My guess is that there will only be players in the bracket of Kaka, Ronaldo, Rooney, Messi, Aguero that will go for mega money and that leaves Barca, City and Real in the running, even Man U willl have to re calibrate their spending along with Chelsea unless Roman is in it for anther 10 years.

Talks are that we are quoting £30m for Jack, i'm hoping this is not true, surely after selling over £60m worth of talent over the past years we are in no need to sell, time to use the potential of a great team rather than selling it.