IGNORED

Rodwell; Is His Potential Overrated?

Memmaclub

OK so first of all rodwell somtimes looks a decent prem midfielder.

But he is direct competition for felli and felli (on current form) is far better. I know it's a squad but if Man U come in at 20 mil in the summer why would we turn it down.

Against Sporting he looked like a duck out of water. I am not going to judge him one one performance but if he doesn't reach anywhere near his potential have we lost 20 mil on him.

I would sell I can't see him being a first team regular and felli is only a couple of years older.

No. He's been touted as a future star since he was a young lad. He is one of the few who has then gone on and improved and forced his way into the first team.

Look at any top class player. Look at their grace and balance on the ball. Look how effortlessly they glide about a football pitch, making everything look easy. Rodwell has that too.

He's only 18. He's made 1 costly pass and now we're doubting his potential?

No offence mate, but you've made some pretty ridiculous statements over the last month or so, and this falls into the Saha-isn't-any-good category.

Edited by Grarghsies

Why should we turn it down? Because this is a squad game for a start. Take a look at the situation right now; Fellaini is out for 6 months and to have someone in a similar mould (i.e. Rodwell) is beneficial to us. He made an horrendous mistake in the last game but with young players you've got to take the rough with the smooth. Just a few months ago Fellaini wasn't good enough and looking sloppy and then, bang, he slides right into top gear. Rodwell has shown in the past he's an incredibly elegant player, with the ability to pick a pass (with both feet I might add) and he's only going to grow into a quality footballer IMO.

No. He's been touted as a future star since he was a young lad. He is one of the few who has then gone on and improved and forced his way into the first team.

Look at any top class player. Look at their grace and balance on the ball. Look how effortlessly they glide about a football pitch, making everything look easy. Rodwell has that too.

He's only 18. He's made 1 costly pass and now we're doubting his potential?

No offence mate, but you've made some pretty ridiculous statements over the last month or so, and this falls into the Saha-isn't-any-good category.

well said G....

i was going to try and start arguing the point but ive got a hangover, still (the local brazilian drink is strrrrrong!) and so i cant be arsed. 1 mistake and writing him off for 20mill? errr, no.....

Not at all, what you have to remember is this, he is a very young player who is actually playing out of his preferred position.

He has represented his country at virtually every age group, and whilst that is not a guarantee that he will fulfil any perceived potential, it is a good indicator.

He normally looks, and is, extremely comfortable on the ball, he can score goals and generally his passing is very good and it all looks effortless!

Some of the most respected (within the game at least) coaches/managers in the land are casting envious glances in our direction.

That my friend is more than enough for this avid but amateur (As we all are) follower of the game.

As stated above, you are just trying to stir things up on the back of one poor pass, give it a fooking rest!

Rodwell's potential is undoubted. he has all the attributes to make him a top top player of the future, as has been stated he glides accross the pitch, he is comfortable on the ball, can strike a good ball, pass with both feet, dangerous in the air. The boy is a england captain in the making. I can't believe anybody would doubt this. I certainly wouldnt accept 20 mill for him, how can you put a value on the boys ability

Not at all, what you have to remember is this, he is a very young player who is actually playing out of his preferred position.

He has represented his country at virtually every age group, and whilst that is not a guarantee that he will fulfil any perceived potential, it is a good indicator.

He normally looks, and is, extremely comfortable on the ball, he can score goals and generally his passing is very good and it all looks effortless!

Some of the most respected (within the game at least) coaches/managers in the land are casting envious glances in our direction.

That my friend is more than enough for this avid but amateur (As we all are) follower of the game.

As stated above, you are just trying to stir things up on the back of one poor pass, give it a fooking rest!

So did Paul Rideout... I think?

Fourteen of twenty premier league managers identified him as "... the player who would take the Premier League by storm this season."

He started out that way, ran out of steam a bit (not surprising given the amount of games he was playing) and then got injured.

£20m is derisory. Double that and you're getting closer.

Fourteen of twenty premier league managers identified him as "... the player who would take the Premier League by storm this season."

He started out that way, ran out of steam a bit (not surprising given the amount of games he was playing) and then got injured.

£20m is derisory. Double that and you're getting closer.

I normally agree with your sentiments Mike but I'm not too sure about the above! He started off the season with a couple of decent performances, mostly against fairly weak opposition in Europe (from memory) and he shined amongst the abysmal displays that his teammates were producing at the time. I don't think we could get anywhere near £40m for his services at this present time and would personally value between £20-30m as a very fair offer. He looks like a quality player, the problem is I'm still not at all convinced about him in midfield and only time will tell as to whether he has the positional sense and know how for playing CB. I think he will turn out to be a world class centre back (and POSSIBLY a world class midfielder) but I don't think it's a cast iron certainty as of yet. Rodwell is most certainly a 'classy' footballer but he needs to get involved more in matches before I see him as anything other than 'potentially' a very good player. I wouldn't like to see us sell him as we should be getting past that stage, but if we sold him for £25 million in the Summer and bought an excellent striker or two/or winger then I couldn't honestly say I would see it as bad business at this present time. After all, we do have quite a few options in midfield who I'd pick ahead of him at the moment.

Some players have that raw hunger, Gerrard did, Rooney did, they got involved, they put themselves about, Rodwell needs to start showing that passion and involvement - tiny Osman played far better and wanted it far more the other night than I've ever seen from Rodwell. He's old enough now to start producing and not living on his potential imo.

So do you want Rodwell to run around like a headless chicken and lunge into challenges with two feet ala Rooney and Gerrard at 18? I also dont know many plyers who at 18 played consistently good week in and week out.

I normally agree with your sentiments Mike but I'm not too sure about the above! He started off the season with a couple of decent performances, mostly against fairly weak opposition in Europe (from memory) and he shined amongst the abysmal displays that his teammates were producing at the time. I don't think we could get anywhere near £40m for his services at this present time and would personally value between £20-30m as a very fair offer. He looks like a quality player, the problem is I'm still not at all convinced about him in midfield and only time will tell as to whether he has the positional sense and know how for playing CB. I think he will turn out to be a world class centre back (and POSSIBLY a world class midfielder) but I don't think it's a cast iron certainty as of yet. Rodwell is most certainly a 'classy' footballer but he needs to get involved more in matches before I see him as anything other than 'potentially' a very good player. I wouldn't like to see us sell him as we should be getting past that stage, but if we sold him for £25 million in the Summer and bought an excellent striker or two/or winger then I couldn't honestly say I would see it as bad business at this present time. After all, we do have quite a few options in midfield who I'd pick ahead of him at the moment.

Some players have that raw hunger, Gerrard did, Rooney did, they got involved, they put themselves about, Rodwell needs to start showing that passion and involvement - tiny Osman played far better and wanted it far more the other night than I've ever seen from Rodwell. He's old enough now to start producing and not living on his potential imo.

So do you want Rodwell to run around like a headless chicken and lunge into challenges with two feet ala Rooney and Gerrard at 18? I also dont know many plyers who at 18 played consistently good week in and week out.

I want someone who gets involved, who actively tries to take the game by the scruff of the neck and doesn't just sit back and watch the game pass him by and play it safe. He needs to get involved more and take a few more risks, he's a little 'safe' with his passing, more like Redknapp than Gerrard or Fabregas. To be fair, he's played most of his time in defence so maybe it will come in midfield, all I'm saying is at the moment, I think he looks more suited to defence than midfield.

At the moment it is purely potential, I don't want us to sell him but sometimes, from a business point of view, you can't argue that a 'bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.' :D

i think he is very similar to fabregas at 18..great passer, decent speed, good shot and the ability to find an extra couple of seconds on the ball with 1 touch...if you couple them with his size he will be a top DM when he physically matures! i dont see why people would want to waste a talent like that at CB id rather have him controlling the game in midfield which i am sure he will do when older..i wouldnt accept less than 30 because someone of his natural ability doesn't come along often..

A lot of people are forgeting - moyes see's rodwell as a centre back in the long run - rio ferdinand started life as centre mid, very similar to rodwell at the start of his career, I remember watching rio in his early west ham days and although his potential was obvious there were mistakes and he was very raw, he learned his trade in centre-mid where there's a little less pressure than centre back. I actually think rodwell looks stronger than rio did in his early days, if rodwell keeps his head screwed on and keeps learning here, then he will be an international centre back in coming years, maybe even rio's long term replacement in the england team (hopefully not the man.u team).

We should be talking about Jack Rodwell as our future captian - not fucking selling him for £20m!

A lot of people are forgeting - moyes see's rodwell as a centre back in the long run - rio ferdinand started life as centre mid, very similar to rodwell at the start of his career, I remember watching rio in his early west ham days and although his potential was obvious there were mistakes and he was very raw, he learned his trade in centre-mid where there's a little less pressure than centre back. I actually think rodwell looks stronger than rio did in his early days, if rodwell keeps his head screwed on and keeps learning here, then he will be an international centre back in coming years, maybe even rio's long term replacement in the england team (hopefully not the man.u team).

We should be talking about Jack Rodwell as our future captian - not fucking selling him for £20m!

Yes but that is based on pure speculation, none of us have actually seen him play Centre Back in the premiership, once we have then I think we can make a more informed judgement as to what he is actually worth and how good he will be. I seem to remember everyone raving about Michael Branch when he came through.

All we've seen so far is someone playing in DM who is classy on the ball (although hardly ripping teams to shreds with incisive through balls) but isn't involved much and who, on occasion, looks a little lost. It's about time he stepped it up a bit, he's been in and around the team for a year now, he's physically strong, he's fairly mobile and he's now old enough to start staking a claim.

Yes but that is based on pure speculation, none of us have actually seen him play Centre Back in the premiership, once we have then I think we can make a more informed judgement as to what he is actually worth and how good he will be. I seem to remember everyone raving about Michael Branch when he came through.

All we've seen so far is someone playing in DM who is classy on the ball (although hardly ripping teams to shreds with incisive through balls) but isn't involved much and who, on occasion, looks a little lost. It's about time he stepped it up a bit, he's been in and around the team for a year now, he's physically strong, he's fairly mobile and he's now old enough to start staking a claim.

Point 1 - moyes has him down as a centre back, I believe he's got pretty good judgement.

Point 2 - people rave about every youngster we have, but many like Branch don't actually show they have any true class - Rodwell has already shown he is a class player - was there ever talk of Man.Utd in for Michael Branch?

Point 3 - you must have a very short memory, Rodwell was one of our most involved/important players at the start of the season - okay we were doing shite but he was still performing as one of our most senior players.

I personally see him more as a DM than a CB. IMO his biggest weakness is his positioning which will be a problem in both positions but more as a CB. Against Sporting (I know it was only 5 mins or so) he looked completely lost and didnt know what to do at CB and I would expect someone who has supposedly played there his entire career to actually have that bit sussed to an extent (Distin is the counter arguement here!). He looks much more comfortable at DM and with Felli out he should get his chance to get stuck in and show everyone how good he is. Earlier in the season he was one of our best players because he was probably the only one who tried to get his foot on the ball and pass it instead of just hoofing it up field. While he did have quiet games he still got stuck in making some cracking tackles against some crappy Uefa teams but also some good sides in the Prem. IMO he needs an experienced head next to him (at the start of the season he had Neville/Heitinga) who will help him out positionally but also take the pressure off.

The lad is class, he just needs to learn his trade a bit more and I think it will benefit him to be told what position he really should be learning. Tell him his exact responsibilities and what he is in the team to do. His worst performances seem to have come when he is asked to do both attack and defend in equal measures. If he is a defensive player, give him the defensive role and let the likes of Arteta/Osman do the rest, like they do with Fellaini.

Point 1 - moyes has him down as a centre back, I believe he's got pretty good judgement.

Point 2 - people rave about every youngster we have, but many like Branch don't actually show they have any true class - Rodwell has already shown he is a class player - was there ever talk of Man.Utd in for Michael Branch?

Point 3 - you must have a very short memory, Rodwell was one of our most involved/important players at the start of the season - okay we were doing shite but he was still performing as one of our most senior players.

since when does Moyes have him down as a CB? I'm pretty sure that Moyes has stated on several occasions in the press that he sees Rodwell as a DM. I also believe that Moyes has pretty good judgement so if he sells him for £20m - £30m I'd back him like I did with Rooney.

Rodwell is young and he's a local, he got overhyped earlier in the season for doing alright, he mostly played well against poor teams in Europe. I'm not knocking his 'talent' I'm knocking the fact that so far he hasn't actually done much on the pitch (apart from look good) of importance. Potential is one thing, fulfilling it is another and he hasn't even come close yet. It's no coincidence that since his injury and Fellaini being moved back into DM that our fortunes transformed.

Personally, I'd be worried if I saw Rodwell's name on the teamsheet tomorrow, I'd rather see Neville in DM.

Edited by carlmc25

since when does Moyes have him down as a CB? I'm pretty sure that Moyes has stated on several occasions in the press that he sees Rodwell as a DM. I also believe that Moyes has pretty good judgement so if he sells him for £20m - £30m I'd back him like I did with Rooney.

Rodwell is young and he's a local, he got overhyped earlier in the season for doing alright, he mostly played well against poor teams in Europe. I'm not knocking his 'talent' I'm knocking the fact that so far he hasn't actually done much on the pitch (apart from look good) of importance. Potential is one thing, fulfilling it is another and he hasn't even come close yet. It's no coincidence that since his injury and Fellaini being moved back into DM that our fortunes transformed.

Personally, I'd be worried if I saw Rodwell's name on the teamsheet tomorrow, I'd rather see Neville in DM.

“We have always said that Jack Rodwell has great potential and we hope that he will go on to fulfil that,” said the Goodison manager.

“We will bring him along in the right way. He showed in this game he is a very good player.

“He has composure on the ball. He can control a game but what I didn’t know was that he had such a good shot on him. I have not really seen him do that before.

“I knew he could strike a lovely ball but did not know he could rattle the ball like that.”

Moyes added: “I have said that maybe in years to come he can turn into a centre-back but at this moment he is a central midfielder, otherwise I might have put him at centre-back tonight.

“He has a bit to go yet. We will use him in games that we see fit but now he has a great opportunity to play games because we don’t have that many players. He is a really good boy, a good listener. He wants to improve and he is conscientious and we all think he has a lot of potential.”

I'm sure moyes would like to keep hold of Rodwell as he wanted to keep Rooney.

Just to put things into perspective here... Beckham was 20 when he went on-loan to Preston, John Terry was 20 when he went on-loan to forest (and chelsea had agreed to sell him!), Paul Scholes made his United debut at 20, Gerrard played 13 games in his debut season as an 18 year old, Ferdinand only started looking a class CB when he went to leeds when he was 22 - Rodwell's 18 fucking years old, he's a developing talent. There's a few on here that think every youngster we produce is the next wayne rooney - they're not and rodwell is no different but he looks better than the rest. Rooney was and is a phenominal talent and possibly the best player in the world - for those who think every player we produce is like him be prepared to be disappointed!!! Rodwell is class and given the time could develop into a star, mentioned in the same breath as some of my previously mentioned stars - we need to give him time like they were! or maybe just cash in now and buy some decent players... where would man.utd be if they had this mentallity with beckham/scholes or the shite with gerrard. We were in a position where we needed to sell rooney, we don't need to sell rodwell!

The lad has the potential to be an england international for the next 10-12 years. I think he could be an absolute legend at centre half. He is elegant on the ball and could run games from that position with his passing ability. Obviously the vultures will soon be circleing but how many clubs have £30 mill to spend? The Mancs and Chelsea perhaps?

Say what you want about Memmaclub.....and some do!....But he certainly knows how to get people talking/posting, firstly Saha, now Rodwell.....I'd say Moyes could be next :rolleyes:

Seriously though I see no problem with his posts, if it's on his mind, he has a right to express his thoughts.Who was that young Man City player who was going to be a world beater!..Johnson I think, where is he now....other young players with fantastic prospects dissapear off the radar, it happens.....God willing Rodwell will not go the same way.

People in the know seem to rate him, including Moyes.I would imagine he would only sell him for two reasons........one would be a really silly offer, that could possibly bring in say three good players or if Rodwell really wanted to leave Everton.

That bad pass he made the other night wasn't his first....and it certainly wont be his last.

Edited by Blue 250

Say what you want about Memmaclub.....and some do!....But he certainly knows how to get people talking/posting, firstly Saha, now Rodwell.....I'd say Moyes could be next :rolleyes:

Seriously though I see no problem with his posts, if it's on his mind, he has a right to express his thoughts.Who was that young Man City player who was going to be a world beater!..Johnson I think, where is he now....other young players with fantastic prospects dissapear off the radar, it happens.....God willing Rodwell will not go the same way.

People in the know seem to rate him, including Moyes.I would imagine he would only sell him for two reasons........one would be a really silly offer, that could possibly bring in say three good players or if Rodwell really wanted to leave Everton.

That bad pass he made the other night wasn't his first....and it certainly wont be his last.

Practically everyone on this forum, especially Bill, wanted us to sign Adam Johnson! We're never wrong!

and for the last and final fucking time my problem with saha is not his skill level it's his age and injury proneness and I have also stated if he stays fit this whole season i'll happily accept he is an option.

Back to rodwell - you can slate my posts but as someone said I am querying whether 20 mil 30 mil (the figure is almost irrelevant) we should gamble a big fee now for the potential he may turn into a worldclass player my personal opinion with felli the better player and young its one position we should not turn down 20 mil for. I agree with the opinion of ossie the other night very strong committed performance haven't seen that from rodwell

The reason Michael Johnson hasnt made any real progress yet is because he has constantly been injured for the last couple of seasons. He is a bit like JV in that respect, showing bags of potential but gets injured far too frequently and its bad injuries not just bumps and bruises.

Shame really as he did look very good and now that City have got the money men in it makes you wonder whether he will ever really play for them again.