IGNORED

Baines In England Squad

MikeO

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Apart from being a bit dodgy with marking at corners (i.e. man handling, rather than actually marking) I've thought he's looked good.

I rarely comment on the technical abilities of even our defenders and I'm quite happy to admit that I know very little about the art of defending....was always up the other end of the pitch when I played because I tended to be a liability in our own half :unsure: .

I know if I have confidence in our defenders when I watch but why is pretty much a mystery to me. I know even less about other teams defenders.

(i.e. man handling, rather than actually marking)

That happens an awful lot, depends how tight the referees will be on it at international level - I remember against Sunderland on Kenwyn Jones, it was almost beyond a joke how much he got away with it.

If he were to play at the WC I've no doubt he'll give a penalty away for that exact offence. I'd call it a liability.

But as you said, at times he can be a good, quality defender. Just needs to sort that aspect of his game out imo.

Edit: Oh, and - Congratulations to Baines, I would personally (as an Everton follower or as a neutral) pick him above Bridge anyway. At least he's in the squad for whatever other reasons there may have been, I hope he gets some game time - make 18 and then much more caps!

Edited by Kohen

Very well deserved, I think hes been our most consistant player this season. Not only is he a real threat going forward and a quality wingman in terms of his crossing ability, he is a sound defender. I really didnt know what all the fuss about Bridge was about when Leighton was due a call up anyway!!

I'm a big fan of Warnock, I thought we should have snapped him up when he was getting fed up at being on the bench for the sh!te (maybe I should take over Moyes eh Milky ;)). I think Leighton does shade it though, hes a more complete LB in my opinion and is probably a little better when it comes to deliveries into the box.

Well done Bainsey, keep it up!

Very well deserved, I think hes been our most consistant player this season. Not only is he a real threat going forward and a quality wingman in terms of his crossing ability, he is a sound defender. I really didnt know what all the fuss about Bridge was about when Leighton was due a call up anyway!!

I'm a big fan of Warnock, I thought we should have snapped him up when he was getting fed up at being on the bench for the sh!te (maybe I should take over Moyes eh Milky ;)). I think Leighton does shade it though, hes a more complete LB in my opinion and is probably a little better when it comes to deliveries into the box.

Well done Bainsey, keep it up!

interesting. will be keeping an eye on you feela i sense big things could be happening soon.

I have to disagree with his verdict not with blue tinted glasses either, Baines is a more like for like replacement to Cole with pace and delivery well at times his delivery can be frustrating but i would still say he's more polished then Warnock not by much but still slightly.

Also slightly off topic but looking at that team Dixon has put out i would make a few changes to it i would much rather have Carlton Cole ahead of Heskey any day of the week if we want a hold up man as Heskey for me has never really warranted a place as he's pretty shit to be fair and Cole has more to his game, Also rather see someone like Michael Dawson get a shot ahead of Upson who again for me isn't good enough internationally and Dawson has had a good season so far and has done a good job as Spurs captain.

Also not keen on Brown to much of a liability at times but not much other choice really old rat feature's Gary is far and beyond past it the only other option who to be fair seems to be on the right track again and looks like he is improving is Richards, I would also have Hart between the sticks as he's been the best performing English keeper this season.

He gets the start...

Green, Brown, Upson, Terry, Baines, Walcott, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard, Rooney, Defoe.

Don't know if that means he's ahead on Warnock or whether they're going to get 45mins each and he just gets to go first.

Half time will tell.

Didn't get much opportunity to go forward because he had Gerrard infront of him on the left who was never going to give him support and he should probably stop taking set-pieces for England because they were woeful (just like they've been for us), but he looked solid defensively. Nicely done Leighton.

I thought he did well last night, was hoping he'd get a start and a good run out, but getting the full 90 minutes is fantastic for Bainesy. I thought he put in a solid performance, a bit reserved maybe but I don't think he's done himself any kind of disservice. His delivery was a bit inconsistent, a bit like it is with us, but he got a bit lucky with some of his crosses, with one eventually finding Wright-Phillips to fire in.

I think with one or two more games, to get him more settled, he'd may do well. Well done Bainsey lad!