IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

He's not the only one in our side who can be lazy and have games pass him by, but he does seem to be the only one who gets pulled up for it.

For example, against Chelsea Ross Barkley was lazy and for the majority of the game he was anonymous. Rom is criticised for not being "up for it" often enough and Ross most definitely was not "up for it" against Chelsea, and he's not "up for it" a hell a lot of the time. But barely a word about that. No extra 10 pages added on to his thread. No posts saying he needs a kick up the arse, or that we should sell him if a good offer comes in and replace him with a lesser player.

I didn't bring it up because he went on to play a role in both of Rom's goals, which is what I (we) want him to do. Just like I (we) want Rom to score goals and is why when he does score goals I can cut him some slack for some negatives in the game, just like I did for Ross against Chelsea.

Everything good Rom does seems to come with the word "but" on the end. He scores goals galore but his first touch is crap. He's improved his hold-up play but his right foot isn't great. He uses his strength better but he doesn't win enough headers. He has improved his fitness but he doesn't get up for games enough...

Always looking to find a negative point to make about him. I really don't get it. For christs sake, he's improving all the time as he learns, same as Ross, so appreciate the strides he's making in EVERTON blue instead of always looking to tear him down. He's one of the best strikers around and he's nowhere near finished yet and while he's ours we should make the most of it, enjoy it.

Boom.

Because if the only thing to read on the forum was...

Rom was good wasn't he...

It would be one boring forum.

To be fair I am always reading about Ross being lazy on here and how some don't think he fits in the team. It's just he doesn't get the defence that Lukaku gets.

Take this one for argument. It came from Haf commenting that this side is set up for good strikers to score goals.

If someone other than Haf would have said it, it wouldn't have got any exposure.

He's not the only one in our side who can be lazy and have games pass him by, but he does seem to be the only one who gets pulled up for it.

For example, against Chelsea Ross Barkley was lazy and for the majority of the game he was anonymous. Rom is criticised for not being "up for it" often enough and Ross most definitely was not "up for it" against Chelsea, and he's not "up for it" a hell a lot of the time. But barely a word about that. No extra 10 pages added on to his thread. No posts saying he needs a kick up the arse, or that we should sell him if a good offer comes in and replace him with a lesser player.

I didn't bring it up because he went on to play a role in both of Rom's goals, which is what I (we) want him to do. Just like I (we) want Rom to score goals and is why when he does score goals I can cut him some slack for some negatives in the game, just like I did for Ross against Chelsea.

Everything good Rom does seems to come with the word "but" on the end. He scores goals galore but his first touch is crap. He's improved his hold-up play but his right foot isn't great. He uses his strength better but he doesn't win enough headers. He has improved his fitness but he doesn't get up for games enough...

Always looking to find a negative point to make about him. I really don't get it. For christs sake, he's improving all the time as he learns, same as Ross, so appreciate the strides he's making in EVERTON blue instead of always looking to tear him down. He's one of the best strikers around and he's nowhere near finished yet and while he's ours we should make the most of it, enjoy it.

You could almost replace Lukaku's name with Bobby's there and it would still be true/make sense.

This is what I find really weird, everything that goes pear shaped is the gaffers fault, yet we can't criticise a player who prior to the last weekends heroics had only scored 1 goal in 7 league games.

28 million might be considered cheap but its still double the amount of money we have ever paid for a player and he should be accountable, if he does leave I will be interested to see how he goes when the team/club isn't all about Rom.

He's not the only one in our side who can be lazy - but he's the only one in our side who gets ridiculous hyperbole in anything good that he does. Stones was getting to that level till people realised that his cryuff turn stunt would come and bite him on his arse.

I've seen lots of comments saying barkley will be another rodwell, sell for £20m if an offer comes in. he's the only player who has acknowledged he gets a tough time from the fans.

Lukaku has jpegs of his dreadlocks flowing and Comparisons to messi, neymar etc. For 2 supposedly similar players in age and in the case of Ross having less development time due to injury and moyes shipping him here and there - there are no parallels whatsoever in how they are treated.

My criticisms of Rom are more to temper the mania surrounding him. Barkley gets a far shittier time off more fans. Is he lazy? He can be. I accepted a while ago that he was never going to be a combative midfielder after his injury.

Edited by Hafnia

Yep, I've wasted my time. I haven't once said he's above criticism or doesn't have flaws or shouldn't be accountable.

I just don't get the constant stream of it no matter what he does. He improves one aspect of his game that people have got on his back about then a new one is thrown his way, he works on that and improves and people want to bitch about something else.

It's not the criticism I find hard to understand, it's that it's completely out of proportion.

I try my hardest to stay out of this thread in terms of actually posting in it. I've never unequivocally backed the lad, so I don't feel like I need to defend him or anything like that, but I'm just left scratching my head when I read it sometimes.

Haf has proved Lukaku gets a lot of shots off , that does not equate to good service

Either way the point I was making is Lukaka is already an excellent all round centre forward and he is only going to get better

I would go as far as to say he is the best centre forward I have ever seen in an Everton shirt and he is still only 22

Rooney, Lineker, Sharpe and Gray are ahead of him IMO. A fully fit on form Saha is the most talented all round forward I have seen in an Everton shirt - never seen it enough.

wth kind of planet do you live on.

the planet where I have been watching Everton since 1984 and where I have an opinion backed by reason... its also the planet that holds Belgium so you must be a big fan of earth.

Rooney:- Best forward we have had in 25 years, best 17 year old footballer I have ever seen. England's record goal scorer - if we were able to keep him who knows what we may have achieved.

Lineker:- 30 league goals in 41 games. fast, clinical finisher, excellent movement, best penalty box operator out of the lot, knew where to be.

Gray:- Probably the most complete centre forward out of the lot. Had the heart of a lion and bullied centre halves. In the air he was possibly the best we have had, even better than Ferguson in some ways.

Sharpe:- The most under rated striker of the 80's - scored 30 goals in a season as a strike partner. Awesome in the air, good shot either foot and very very strong.

I could actually add Peter Beardsley to this list, he was the original false 9 - you see Mirallas, I am an Everton Fan - not just a Belgian player fan.

Rom is pushing to get among them - that is fair to say but not yet, not for me. A few things for him to tick off yet, but at 22 he has time.

Feel free to critique any of those players above based on your extensive knowledge of Everton football club.

Edited by Hafnia

Rooney, Lineker, Sharpe and Gray are ahead of him IMO. A fully fit on form Saha is the most talented all round forward I have seen in an Everton shirt - never seen it enough.

Rooney showed potential, but never done it enough to be placed above Lukaku. Likewise with Saha, both are more gifted, but Lukaku has put the effort in here. Rooney huffed and puffed, but could and should have been so much better.

Rooney showed potential, but never done it enough to be placed above Lukaku. Likewise with Saha, both are more gifted, but Lukaku has put the effort in here. Rooney huffed and puffed, but could and should have been so much better.

Rooney played in a team surrounded by the likes of Lie Tie, Gemmil, Pembridge, take a minute to think about that.... then put Lukaku in that team... do you see 15+ goals? I certainly do not.

Rooney was like a one man team for us at times - dropping into midfield getting the ball, beating men, laying it off, he energised the team. Stick the 17 year old Rooney in this Everton team now and I see 30+ goals with loads of assists - I am certain about that, absolutely certain.

Rooney played in a team surrounded by the likes of Lie Tie, Gemmil, Pembridge, take a minute to think about that.... then put Lukaku in that team... do you see 15+ goals? I certainly do not.

Rooney was like a one man team for us at times - dropping into midfield getting the ball, beating men, laying it off, he energised the team. Stick the 17 year old Rooney in this Everton team now and I see 30+ goals with loads of assists - I am certain about that, absolutely certain.

I remember radzinski tiring the defenders for Rooney to come on for the kill. That midfield was better than most in relative terms. Li tie and Linderoth were two of my favourites. Deulofeu aside we don't have a creator with Barkley being poor for the past two seasons.

I remember radzinski tiring the defenders for Rooney to come on for the kill. That midfield was better than most in relative terms. Li tie and Linderoth were two of my favourites. Deulofeu aside we don't have a creator with Barkley being poor for the past two seasons.

Linderoth!!! I wonder why I forgot about him and Niclaus alexandersson..... - I just remember Rooney bouncing defenders, Radzinski is one of the many reasons that Lukaku is so treasured by some fans now, he joins the likes of so many who just were not good enough to wear the shirt.

Linderoth!!! I wonder why I forgot about him and Niclaus alexandersson..... - I just remember Rooney bouncing defenders, Radzinski is one of the many reasons that Lukaku is so treasured by some fans now, he joins the likes of so many who just were not good enough to wear the shirt.

I didn't mention alexandersson... Rooney scored 9 goals and you're saying he's the best in over a decade. Radzinski is better than kane only problem was he didn't shoot enough.

I didn't mention alexandersson... Rooney scored 9 goals and you're saying he's the best in over a decade. Radzinski is better than kane only problem was he didn't shoot enough.

Rooney did score 9 goals - still the best striker I've seen at Everton. I'm able to see other than goals as you may have guessed, as I said before - in a side like we have today 17 year old Rooney scores 30 goals. With Martinez managing him he wouldn't have been on the left or on the bench he would have played.

Radzinski better than Kane? Is that a joke - I'm being serious

Rooney did score 9 goals - still the best striker I've seen at Everton. I'm able to see other than goals as you may have guessed, as I said before - in a side like we have today 17 year old Rooney scores 30 goals. With Martinez managing him he wouldn't have been on the left or on the bench he would have played.

Radzinski better than Kane? Is that a joke - I'm being serious

Typo? I think he maybe means Kone.

It's quite extraordinary that so much criticism is leveled at a player who (i) is by far Everton's leading goalscorer in recent years, and (ii) by far the runaway winner of MotM votes awarded at this forum. It's the British way, I suppose: We're never happier than when we have something to moan about.

its not "so much criticism" Steve... its just some criticism - and valid at that too.

It's quite extraordinary that so much criticism is leveled at a player who (i) is by far Everton's leading goalscorer in recent years, and (ii) by far the runaway winner of MotM votes awarded at this forum. It's the British way, I suppose: We're never happier than when we have something to moan about.

spot on. i hope he wins young player of the year.

With the exception of Saha all were excellent for Everton but only Graeme Sharp is fit to be mentioned in the same sentence as Lukaku, and even then Sharpie was nowhere near as good at 22 as Lukaku is now

Rooney was only here half an hour so will never be an Everton great for me

Saha had all the technical ability in the world but would be out for a month with a pulled sock

Lineker was the best finisher of the lot but was just an out and out goal scorer, and probably cost us the double the year he was here

Andy Gray was fantastic and the perfect mentor for Sharp but would never get you the goals Lukaku does

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

Radzinski better than Kane? Is that a joke - I'm being serio

:shaking fist: Yeah Bloody Alex Ferguson holding him back ​

You do realise what Shearer actually said was that Rom scored that goal because he was angry at the lack of service he was getting?

Angry at the weather, service, the half time oranges or bobbys brown shoes... I couldn't care less. ANGER is a passionate emotion and something we don't see enough of from Rom.

When he gets angry he does things, maybe that's the problem... Maybe the service has been good too often.

When he gets angry he does things, maybe that's the problem... Maybe the service has been good too often.

At last !

The service to Lukaku has been 'too' good.Why the fuck couldn't we all see that :rofl: .

There's not too much wrong with the lad, except he is a lad.He could do better.........so could Barkley, Mirallas, Gerry, Coleman, Kone, Baines, Stones, Barry, Jags...............Martinez, etc,etc!

I'd say pound for pound Lukakus done pretty well.

I think if the season ended today, he'd be Evertons player of the season!........must be the brilliant service he's been getting.