Romey 1878

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

For fucksake he hasn’t scored in 10 hours premier league football. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.

Enter Everton.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

For fucksake he hasn’t scored in 10 hours premier league football. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.

Enter Everton.

I'm more bothered about Martial/Mata. They are the players that need stopping.

Lukaku isn'tt likely going to create a goal on his own... he isn'tt gonna score a goal like martial did.   He may be there to but a finishing touch on something martial or Mata etc do from their own individuality. 

Yes there is a chance that a bit of goodison banter and shouts of "you fat bastard"  may spark him into a bit of life.

That said... on form alone he should be dropped. 

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

We sold him for what 70 or 90 mil?  I’ll take him at 40, do them a favor. 

In a heartbeat. Imagine actually having some creative support and opportunities to just tuck away. Even I’ve struggled with his attitude, and I’ve defended him in the past because he scores. Surprised he hasn’t done more at United, but that said they’ve not suited his style. Goal scorer is all he knows, the modern game isn’t his strength, so play to his strengths as I’ve said all along. Goals win games, he scores goals. Simple as that for me. 

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

In a heartbeat. Imagine actually having some creative support and opportunities to just tuck away. Even I’ve struggled with his attitude, and I’ve defended him in the past because he scores. Surprised he hasn’t done more at United, but that said they’ve not suited his style. Goal scorer is all he knows, the modern game isn’t his strength, so play to his strengths as I’ve said all along. Goals win games, he scores goals. Simple as that for me. 

10 hours of premier league football... no goals.  Fans and now players slating his lack of movement.

Said a long time ago.... He relies on defenders switching off or an attacking player committing his marker for him.  I've rarely if ever seen him move with intelligence.  Pundits specifically highlighting the shit I've driven myself nuts about explaining.... point at the floor and run... 

If a team is good enough to find him and serve his chance on a plate then yeah he will finish.   That's why he struggles against the top 6 sides.  

Just now, hafnia said:

10 hours of premier league football... no goals.  Fans and now players slating his lack of movement.

Said a long time ago.... He relies on defenders switching off or an attacking player committing his marker for him.  I've rarely if ever seen him move with intelligence.  Pundits specifically highlighting the shit I've driven myself nuts about explaining.... point at the floor and run... 

If a team is good enough to find him and serve his chance on a plate then yeah he will finish.   That's why he struggles against the top 6 sides.  

Leading goal scorer for the team. I’m out.  

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Leading goal scorer for the team. I’m out.  

Ah yeah just seen that.... 4 goals - level with richi and gylfi who arent even strikers - 1 more than martial who has played significantly less time and out on the wing....   I wouldn't say I'm out... could do this all day.

Those lukaku chickens have come home to roost and they are as fat as turkeys wearing XXXXL shorts. 

57 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Ah yeah just seen that.... 4 goals - level with richi and gylfi who arent even strikers

Only 4 strikers in the prem have scored more than him, with the top goal scoring striker only having 2 more than him. Why you comparing him to midfielders to take the piss when comparatively he's doing just fine in his own position or you gonna slate the rest of the league forwards? 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Only 4 strikers in the prem have scored more than him, with the top goal scoring striker only having 2 more than him. Why you comparing him to midfielders to take the piss when comparatively he's doing just fine in his own position or you gonna slate the rest of the league forwards? 

He's scored 4 goals Pete one less than fulhams mitrovic and Brightons murray .... aside from that he's done nothing other than look like the marshmallow man.... don't worry. That's not an argument style.... He actually looks like a marshmallow man. 

He was Bailey maybe Haf would like to show us his touch map 2nd half as he did his 1st half, you were spot on mate the whole team were poor 1st Half and 2nd they were excellent 

In the 2nd half Lukaku played well did everything you want from your striker bar the most important thing score, but played a pivotal role in the 1st goal. 

Edit Haf hasn’t posted his 2nd half touch map because it would destroy his original argument about his 1st half. 

30 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He was Bailey maybe Haf would like to show us his touch map 2nd half as he did his 1st half, you were spot on mate the whole team were poor 1st Half and 2nd they were excellent 

In the 2nd half Lukaku played well did everything you want from your striker bar the most important thing score, but played a pivotal role in the 1st goal. 

Edit Haf hasn’t posted his 2nd half touch map because it would destroy his original argument about his 1st half. 

I'll look for it just for you palf. His heat map was trending on Twitter (Just a quick copy and paste)....  I assume his second half one was better. I think mourinho touched the ball more than him in the first half.

3 hours ago, hafnia said:

I'll look for it just for you palf. His heat map was trending on Twitter (Just a quick copy and paste)....  I assume his second half one was better. I think mourinho touched the ball more than him in the first half.

😂

Despite being so crap in the first half he was still better than Morata. He is so soft and whilst he has a good first touch it doesnt matter because he doesnt have a second aa he is on his arse.

Another absolute stinker of a game tonight against Juventus, in fact he's currently on target to break their forum's record for lowest rating for a player in a game (he's at 2.3/10 right now). For those who didn't watch the game, comments on his performance start towards the bottom of this page (beginning with the short and sweet "Dogshit. Get rid in January").

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/romelu-lukaku-2018-19-performances.440063/page-60

All of which means he's inevitably going to break his goalless streak and stick a fucking hattrick past us this weekend. 

On 22/10/2018 at 20:53, Bailey said:

Despite being so crap in the first half he was still better than Morata. He is so soft and whilst he has a good first touch it doesnt matter because he doesnt have a second aa he is on his arse.

That's a bit like being stuck broken down on the hard shoulder in a clapped out car and telling the fella broken down in front that your car is better cos the radio works.....

13 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

Another absolute stinker of a game tonight against Juventus, in fact he's currently on target to break their forum's record for lowest rating for a player in a game (he's at 2.3/10 right now). For those who didn't watch the game, comments on his performance start towards the bottom of this page (beginning with the short and sweet "Dogshit. Get rid in January").

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/romelu-lukaku-2018-19-performances.440063/page-60

All of which means he's inevitably going to break his goalless streak and stick a fucking hattrick past us this weekend. 

i love when they say he is everton level!  what a bunch of bull, we got 20+ goals a season out of him, the issue is their team and players and manager.  

They're all calling for him to be dropped but I really doubt Jose will drop him for the Everton match. He'll be hoping the occasion of playing his former club will spur him to get his act together. 

That said, his confidence is shot and tonight the Old Trafford fans were on his back constantly. They're fed up of him. So Keane and Zouma (or Mina) need to take advantage of that and make sure he's constantly under pressure, because his touch is poor. Try and get the United fans hostile towards him again. 

Don't get me wrong I bear the lad no personal ill will but I just don't want him breaking his duck against us. Teams and players have a habit of coming out of dry spells whenever Everton rock up.  

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i love when they say he is everton level!  what a bunch of bull, we got 20+ goals a season out of him, the issue is their team and players and manager.  

Did you watch the game or indeed the last few?

He was awful.  

All very well having the swagger and arrogance at little old Everton and get away with half arsed efforts whilst getting the goal averages up against shite teams.  He went on 5+ game runs without scoring for us a few times... 10 games once I think.  But the press left him alone cos we are shitty Everton and we should just be grateful to have him.

Half of you wouldn't be arsed even trying to excuse him if we hadn't done so much jousting over his abilities/liabilities. 

Busted flush now.... 

5 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Did you watch the game or indeed the last few?

He was awful.  

All very well having the swagger and arrogance at little old Everton and get away with half arsed efforts whilst getting the goal averages up against shite teams.  He went on 5+ game runs without scoring for us a few times... 10 games once I think.  But the press left him alone cos we are shitty Everton and we should just be grateful to have him.

Half of you wouldn't be arsed even trying to excuse him if we hadn't done so much jousting over his abilities/liabilities. 

Busted flush now.... 

i meant that they think we are some shit level, we are above them in the table Haf!!  plus they think he's shit, well he bagged over 20 a season for us!  so why is he so bad for them?  simple logic haf, THEY ARE THE PROBLEM.  watch him get sold to watford or something and go back to 20+ goals the united fans will be fuming.  

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

i meant that they think we are some shit level, we are above them in the table Haf!!  plus they think he's shit, well he bagged over 20 a season for us!  so why is he so bad for them?  simple logic haf, THEY ARE THE PROBLEM.  watch him get sold to watford or something and go back to 20+ goals the united fans will be fuming.  

He probably will end up going the chicarito route.  Put it this way.... Juventus won't be in a rush to sign him.  

Dybala compared to Lukaku tonight was like watching polar opposites... dybala with one touch passing, movement, sharpness. 

Saying United are the problem for lukaku is like saying Lewis Hamilton's car is the problem for a novice race driver.  The problem lies in the fact that he is not good enough. 

The one bad thing about our game on Sun is win, lose, or draw this thread is going to get a burst of new life from both sides.

Problem is that anything that's said will have been said a dozen times previous.

Telegraph Sport today.  Marks out of 10 for Man U v Juventus.

Lukaku  3   Comment: Tag-teamed by Bonucci and Chiellini, this was a demoralising game for the Belgian, who, like his first touch looks too heavy.

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Telegraph Sport today.  Marks out of 10 for Man U v Juventus.

Lukaku  3   Comment: Tag-teamed by Bonucci and Chiellini, this was a demoralising game for the Belgian, who, like his first touch looks too heavy.

He always gets an easy time off the media. 2/10 tops and he looks obese.... although I'm not sure you can have an obese touch so that doesn't work....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6311389/Former-Manchester-United-star-Lee-Sharpe-piles-pressure-fire-Romelu-Lukaku.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ito=1490&ns_campaign=1490

Not sure whether lee sharpe seen Brett Angel play but I get the jist of it..... 

: 'I've never seen a centre forward with such a bad touch. If your centre forward can't hold the ball up, it makes it a very hard game.'

In the Telegraph Sport today, Republic of Ireland former international Andy Keogh, says that Usain Bolt will never make it as a professional footballer as his first touch is like a trampoline.  Didn't stop Lukaku.

Today this will happen. 

1.  If they score he will go nuts.... OTT celebration

2. He will give the Everton fans "the shush" and pull at the man United badge....

3. He will work his arse off.  A noticeable uplift in effort. May even score. 

30 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Today this will happen. 

1.  If they score he will go nuts.... OTT celebration

2. He will give the Everton fans "the shush" and pull at the man United badge....

3. He will work his arse off.  A noticeable uplift in effort. May even score. 

Spot on 

47 minutes ago, StevO said:

Can we buy him back yet?

It could well be that time yeah......

1. Player that man United no longer thinks is good enough for them? - check

2. Fatter and slower? - check

3. Likely to want top wages? - check

4. Likely to be competing with Newcastle and West ham for the signature? - check

Personally I think United could be trading him in a player plus cash deal for Arnautovic or something along those lines. Dybala at Juve would be another option but Juve would be mad to agree to that. 

This isn'tt a point scoring exercise but merely a point to try and hopefully validate something that lukaku did at Everton and he did today which makes a huge difference to the opposition's ability to attack.....

Rashford wasn't exactly brilliant on the ball today and did very little from a threatening perspective but United missed him big time when he went off. The reason was his work off the ball and his interplay with the other 2. 

Our defence was getting pressed to death by martial rashford and mata.. it made building attacks very difficult and whist our defence did play well. In particular Keane - it was when lukaku came on that we profited.  He literally let Keane stroll past him time after time.  He made Keane look like John stones.  From that situation it made things far more easy for us. 

You just can't have lazy forwards.... we seen today what martial achieved vs Walcott. 

I know there has been lots said on this topic but surely no one watching him today would we t him back for £50/£60m. You just lose too much in the side.  United were fluid before he came on. 

I thought Rashford was bang average, as was Lukaku when he came on. 

Fwiw, whilst Walcott was partly at fault for their goal, Martial was at fault for letting Coleman go in the second half when he should have scored. Some finish though that second goal.

18 hours ago, Bailey said:

I thought Rashford was bang average, as was Lukaku when he came on. 

Fwiw, whilst Walcott was partly at fault for their goal, Martial was at fault for letting Coleman go in the second half when he should have scored. Some finish though that second goal.

Unbelievable finish, for them goals you just have to give the forward the credit. World Class. 

It will just be mourinho wouldn't it to lose Martial wouldn't it?  Genuine world class ability. I said a while ago get him into our club.  Thierry Henry esque in his ability.  I think he's shown too much in the last few weeks for him to be ignored. 

I though United were an attacking "unit" with mate, martial and rashford....  our defenders were pressed and it was a tougher gig.  

"Something needed to be studied".... 

I read a tweet the other day saying he has pissed players off.  Blaming them for his service etc.   So the timing of all this seems to fit in. 

deluded. 

Careful what you wish for fat boy.  You go and take the kings shilling and now your little mid season sabbatacals are a no-no at mighty man United.  You get away with it at little old Everton as long as you score more than 15 goals somehow. 

i blame his agent 100%.  he should never have fired the belgian lad that got him to where he is now.  the move from everton to chelsea was all lined up, he would have been perfect on the counter with conte and he would be excellent in Sarri ball all out attack like martinez on roids.  plus chelsea has other people who can score like hazard, he wouldn't be the focus.  instead greedy agent takes him to Man U and mou.  what a terrible choice.

9 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i blame his agent 100%.  he should never have fired the belgian lad that got him to where he is now.  the move from everton to chelsea was all lined up, he would have been perfect on the counter with conte and he would be excellent in Sarri ball all out attack like martinez on roids.  plus chelsea has other people who can score like hazard, he wouldn't be the focus.  instead greedy agent takes him to Man U and mou.  what a terrible choice.

Never known a player to have his very own list of disclaimers.  Accommodating him is like keeping Barbara Streisand happy on a world tour.

He went to United and most on here had him down for mega success and got all carried away with his early flourish.  

United looked very good second half today. Similar to ourselves today.... quick one touch passes, movement and a threat going forward. 

The fact of the matter is this.... he plays football like a goalscoring(ish) shola ameobi.   You can't just put a player in a side full of skilled footballers and give him the job of "just run onto a through ball".  

His finishing attributes aren't good enough to exist on their own against other attributes which mean he is lacking. 

Non of thid has cone as a surorise to me. He's an over indulged egomaniac who seems to think he should be playing for the best sides in the world.   Batshuyi will have his place in the Belgian side soon..

I'd call dragging a team from 6th to 2nd a success. Highest points total and finishing position since Ferguson left and only the second time they had got  a top 4 finish, the other being 4th place under Van Gaal. 

United's problem was the midfield not firing enough and the centre halves being wobbly. Oh and Man City walking it, but that's out of Lukaku's hands. 

16 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think the biggest shock is that Rashford was dropped for Sanchez. FWIW I do think Sanchez is probably the best fit of all 3 strikers.

I think the writing is on the wall either way.  2 players who couldn't get a sniff from mourinho are now seen as 2 parts of a free playing front 3 with lukaku not even making the bench.

Martial I believe will become the main focal point - rightly so.  There are flashes of Thierry Henry about him.

As I said in the richarlison thread.   Don't be surprised to see the media try and sell Richi from us. 

Up to lukaku as to what happens next.  Accept that the game is not all about him and that he needs to learn how to evolve (if that's possible) or go to a club who will indulge his playing style/focal point demands.  In the way that Owen had to go to Stoke or Chicarito had to go to west ham

I dont think Martial works enough and if he played up top he basically becomes Lukaku v2. 

He has come into the headlines recently but if Martial doesnt score he has a nothing game, well based on what I have seen of him anyway. 

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I dont think Martial works enough and if he played up top he basically becomes Lukaku v2. 

He has come into the headlines recently but if Martial doesnt score he has a nothing game, well based on what I have seen of him anyway. 

his ball retention and technical proficiency means they attack better because they retain it better with him.   Same when they had berbatov....  very lethargic player but his quality was there for all to see.  Control and passing were sublime.  Today his workrate was a noticeably higher and effective standard than anything I've seen from lukaku. 

Let's face it. Lukaku has had his season of working hard.  He's ready for a new club now. Yakubu used to get a name for that. 

3 hours ago, hafnia said:

his ball retention and technical proficiency means they attack better because they retain it better with him.   Same when they had berbatov....  very lethargic player but his quality was there for all to see.  Control and passing were sublime.  Today his workrate was a noticeably higher and effective standard than anything I've seen from lukaku. 

Let's face it. Lukaku has had his season of working hard.  He's ready for a new club now. Yakubu used to get a name for that. 

Haf you’ve constantly said you dislike lazy players you have been ferocious about this in your arguments of why you dislike Lukaku and Walcott, and publicly stated you have no time for lazy players yet you except Martial is lazy but look for positives  as to why you don’t dislike him for the thing you as you have said yourself you most dislike in any player. 

Haf native Americans would say you talk with fork tongue I for one would have to agree, one rule for one one rule for another 😛👅🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

Haf you’ve constantly said you dislike lazy players you have been ferocious about this in your arguments of why you dislike Lukaku and Walcott, and publicly stated you have no time for lazy players yet you except Martial is lazy but look for positives  as to why you don’t dislike him for the thing you as you have said yourself you most dislike in any player. 

Haf native Americans would say you talk with fork tongue I for one would have to agree, one rule for one one rule for another 😛👅🤷‍♂️

I don't see martial as lazy.  I didn't see berbatov as lazy. Henry wasn't exactly 12k a match.  Certainly not Duracell bunnies.  They have that efficiency you often see with quality.  

Put it this way. If they lost the ball as much as lukaku I would expect them to work harder.  The fact that they don't says a lot. 

Nothing worse than watching a footballer miscontrol a pass or lose the ball and who throws his arms up and strolls around.  It's an insult to teammates. 

3 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I don't see martial as lazy.  I didn't see berbatov as lazy. Henry wasn't exactly 12k a match.  Certainly not Duracell bunnies.  They have that efficiency you often see with quality.  

Put it this way. If they lost the ball as much as lukaku I would expect them to work harder.  The fact that they don't says a lot. 

Nothing worse than watching a footballer miscontrol a pass or lose the ball and who throws his arms up and strolls around.  It's an insult to teammates. 

Sorry Haf it seemed that you agreed in part with what Bailey had post about Martial not working enough, if you go back through the posts you can see were I may have gotten the wrong end of stick. 

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Sorry Haf it seemed that you agreed in part with what Bailey had post about Martial not working enough, if you go back through the posts you can see were I may have gotten the wrong end of stick. 

Mourinho has levelled that at him in the past and I know loads of United fans were pissed off at Jose doing it.  I personally haven't seen it.  I think he's an outstanding player and wanted us to get him when he was out of favour. 

He would be brilliant in our set up. 

1 minute ago, hafnia said:

Mourinho has levelled that at him in the past and I know loads of United fans were pissed off at Jose doing it.  I personally haven't seen it.  I think he's an outstanding player and wanted us to get him when he was out of favour. 

I agree I’ve been advocating getting him since Lukaku left, probably would have stood a chance when he wasn’t getting in the team but that boat has seemed to sail, don’t think we stand a chance now unless we other 100 million plus and 150-200 grand a week wages. 

I think Rio explains what I've been explaining for a long time. 

I don't particularly like the inference that it's only now he's at United that Lukaku's shortfalls are a hindrance and can't be tolerated.  They cost us.

Barkley struggled a lot with Lukaku in front of him. He looked for so many give and go's but didn't get them. 

People have said we missed a striker last year. I believe we missed a bona fide number 10 and really we missed Barkley. 

This season we have gylfi playing his natural role with strikers moving off him and involving him. He's got 4 goals and should have had 2 or 3 yesterday. 

Someone like a martial or lacazette up front for us would be the icing on the cake. 

Having the touch like you are wearing slippers and not steel toe capped boots and finding a team mate with your passes can get you to avoid criticism of not working too hard.

Try being a lazy fucker with the touch of an elephant.... not gonna work is it. 

Modern game required player to at least do a standard of work in terms of helping the team recover and press the ball. 

14 hours ago, hafnia said:

It was on MNF that he runs at least 1k less than other top wingers. Neville.also showed examples of his lazy running skills. Its also the case that if he doesnt score you dont really notice him and the only difference between this season and last season is that he is putting the ball in the back of the net when he gets a chance.

He is very talented, he is a superb finisher but he is lazier than Walcott, and has a worse attitude to boot. I have used the example of Walcott given your comments in his thread. 

12 hours ago, hafnia said:

Having the touch like you are wearing slippers and not steel toe capped boots and finding a team mate with your passes can get you to avoid criticism of not working too hard.

Try being a lazy fucker with the touch of an elephant.... not gonna work is it. 

Modern game required player to at least do a standard of work in terms of helping the team recover and press the ball. 

I really don’t like this view. We’re not talking about top attacking players like Ronaldo and Messi, we’re talking about Martial ffs! If Lukaku isn’t talented enough to avoid criticism for being lazy, than neither is Martial.

I feel like this was also your excuse for Barkley avoiding criticism for his laziness under us (and the opposite applies for Walcott). Oh the kid is lazy and lacks a bit of end product/game smarts, but look at his first touch! I’d rather just look critically at all of these players relevent deficiencies, and not just ignore them when they’re a “pretty player”.  

4 hours ago, Vranny said:

I really don’t like this view. We’re not talking about top attacking players like Ronaldo and Messi, we’re talking about Martial ffs! If Lukaku isn’t talented enough to avoid criticism for being lazy, than neither is Martial.

I feel like this was also your excuse for Barkley avoiding criticism for his laziness under us (and the opposite applies for Walcott). Oh the kid is lazy and lacks a bit of end product/game smarts, but look at his first touch! I’d rather just look critically at all of these players relevent deficiencies, and not just ignore them when they’re a “pretty player”.  

I never seen Barkley as lazy and as I've said I dont see it with martial.  The facts may prove me wrong.  Barkley had lazy games - No doubt. But overall I seen a player desperate to do well for us. He cared for the shirt. 

Is it the fact that I think it's criminal for a player like lukaku to give the ball away so much and not try and recover it?  That does piss me off.

Either way the facts are this.  Of the two players we are comparing - one is playing superb football and leading the man United line and the other has had a mystery injury concocted in order to drop him.  Every time martial plays against us he shows things we have never seen from lukaku. True genuine class. 

18 hours ago, hafnia said:

I never seen Barkley as lazy and as I've said I dont see it with martial.  The facts may prove me wrong.  Barkley had lazy games - No doubt. But overall I seen a player desperate to do well for us. He cared for the shirt. 

Is it the fact that I think it's criminal for a player like lukaku to give the ball away so much and not try and recover it?  That does piss me off.

Either way the facts are this.  Of the two players we are comparing - one is playing superb football and leading the man United line and the other has had a mystery injury concocted in order to drop him.  Every time martial plays against us he shows things we have never seen from lukaku. True genuine class. 

You don’t have to convince me of Martial’s class. I was another that wanted him as a Lukaku replacement when he was out of favour last season. 

And I’ve always found Barkley to be particularly lazy for a midfielder. The difference between he and Siggy’s pressing and tracking back is night and day for me. 

6 hours ago, Vranny said:

You don’t have to convince me of Martial’s class. I was another that wanted him as a Lukaku replacement when he was out of favour last season. 

And I’ve always found Barkley to be particularly lazy for a midfielder. The difference between he and Siggy’s pressing and tracking back is night and day for me. 

I'd have siggy all day long ahead of Barkley but Barkley was a far better and important player than people gave him credit for.