IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I'm sure just being a forward means goals. So does Darren Bent, James Beattie, Andy Johnson and a post injury Yakubu!

Just being a forward doesn't mean goals, if that was the case Rom, Vardy and Kane would have plenty of other forwards chasing the golden boot this season.

Being a forward means chances, taking them chances means a good forward. We've got one. For now n

I'm sure just being a forward means goals. So does Darren Bent, James Beattie, Andy Johnson and a post injury Yakubu!

Just being a forward doesn't mean goals, if that was the case Rom, Vardy and Kane would have plenty of other forwards chasing the golden boot this season.

Being a forward means chances, taking them chances means a good forward. We've got one. For now n

Beattie johnson and beattie were all used as part of moyes plan of getting them to mix it up and provide the likes of cahill with the opportunities. The poor bastards never seen the inside of a penno box.

RVP went from 26 premier league goals to 12 when Moyes joined United. I still chuckle at that game where they were ordered to put crosses in and broke a record for most crosses in a game - they never scored.

All in all he's a decent centre forward, nothing to get over excited about, will he get any better ? Probably but at the moment he isn't a world beater.

A starting price between £50/60 million tells me, he's probably a bit more than a 'decent' centre forward.......mind you what do people who've had a life time in the football business know!

Look at Everton's other 'youngsters' Barkley and Stones, not exactly pulling up any trees at the moment, is Martinez the man to nurture young talent of this quality.

All three Lukaku, Stones and Barkley are loaded with potential, that's what the the big wads are being waved at.

Barkley really isn't moving forward, are the Everton coaching staff up to the task.

I think they ate moving forward. Barkley is quietly becoming a very accomplished centre mid.

He isn't banging in Stormers every week but he is getting so much better at ball retention.

Pleased with him this season.

He's supposed to do that so it's nothing to shout about. Shame on you.

I've been reading this thread for a long time now and I've noticed that it's developed into a personnel thread between three or four posters, So I would like to post my thoughts on Lukaku.

Some posters rave over him because he scores goals, but thats because he is a forward and will get more opportunities than midfielders or wing backs, as does Vardy, Kane, Aguerro and such.

Just playing in that position will get you goals so nothing fantastic there.

His touch is poor, his work rate is very poor, and his mental state is also a bit dubious, if your heads not right the concentration level will curtail your performance levels, as it does with him, so he,s a bit up and down.

All in all he's a decent centre forward, nothing to get over excited about, will he get any better ? Probably but at the moment he isn't a world beater.

That's the point though, not one person has ever said he is a world beater

Maybe this is why Belgium with all thier world class players are doing so well.

I was lolling a bit when the guy spoke about "maybe it's a cultural thing with Belgians" :D

But then I gave it some thought and you know what it is... Belgium used to have a shit national team where almost all players came from the shitty domestic competition. Then suddenly someone put something in our water or whatever it is and now we're breeding top class football players all over the place. Obviously these players outgrow our domestic competition, with many of the players transfer value being higher than the total value of most of the clubs in the highest division of Belgian football.

So our players have become nomads. Corsairs without a homebase pretty much. They take no identity in locations or clubs anymore, the only substance they have in their footballing existance is their own skill and talent. Clubs, no matter who they are, carry little weight in their minds, so naturally they're much more career-oriented. They will listen to the advice of Wilmots concerning what might or might not be a wise move. Vertonghen could choose between Spurs and Arsenal, and even though Arsenal was at the time a club that appealed to him a little more, he still opted for Spurs, because Arsenal had players like Vermaelen, Koscielny and Mertesacker who were much more competition for him than the buggers at Spurs central defense back then. Kompany is so tight with Man City, because those citizens are smart. They knew that making him captain was what he needed: a project to nurture, he has a strong sense of duty and it pretty much acts as a substitute or even catalyser for club identity.

De Bruyne, Fellaini, Hazard 1, Hazard 2, Lukaku, little Lukaku, Benteke, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Witsel, Carrasco, Mirallas, Mertens, Lombaerts, Denayer, Meunier, Courtois, Mignolet, Chadli, Dembele and Origi are all corsairs and their services are for sale.

25 goals and he's the dogs bollocks who can do no wrong, some people on here give the impression that he is a world beater, and any criticism of him is hotly defended.

Why not accept that he has a lot of faults in his game.

Why not stop making things up? It's been accepted and acknowledged that he has flaws, many times. Not one person has said he's the perfect striker. But I'm not going back through the thread to point those posts out to you, you've already read them and ignored them.

Oh and take those 25 goals out of our team and see where we'd be, see how of little importance those goals are.

Maybe the whole "oh no, what if he leaves, I'll be gutted because we can't replace him" is statement enough that people overhyped him.

He has scored 25 goals - not by being Diego maradona in the 86 world cup and single handedly winning games. He is the focal point of our attack. No second striker to compete with like Deeney or ighalo he is the man who has the ball in thd box. I would argue he should score more - especially balls across the 6 yard box. Another two yesterday and a bollocking off jags for one of them.

You hear the comment "beast"... it does make me laugh. He's as much a beast as Emile heskey was. Seen it a handful of times and the most telling was when heskey lost it in the tunnel versus turkey.

In short the player he can be - we just don't see enough to warrant 100k plus wages

Oh and take those 25 goals out of our team and see where we'd be, see how of little importance those goals are.

Do you seriously believe that if we didn't have Lukaku our other players would be passing the ball into an empty box and wondering why we aren't scoring?

Lukaku is not Everton, when he is gone he will be replaced.

Edited by Chach

Do you seriously believe that if we didn't have Lukaku our other players would be passing the ball into an empty box and wondering why we aren't scoring?

Lukaku is not Everton, when he is gone he will be replaced.

I don't believe they'd have 25 goals to their name, no.

But that's not what I meant anyway. I just don't get why people play down the amount of goals a striker has, it's what they should be judged on.

Edit - and in regards to your final point - I'm well aware of that. I'm one of the ones on here who is the least attached to players that play for us. Sure I have players that I like more than others but I would sell each and every single one of them in a blink if it meant Everton improved, or it was best for Everton Football Club. I'm Everton first, second and third. I just genuinely can't get my head around why he gets ripped to shreds so much when he's a big player for us, who has contributed massively.

Edited by Romey 1878

When I posted my thoughts on Lukaku further up I had a little bet to myself who would respond first and how long it would take them. And I was right

I just don't understand why you all defend him so vigorously when everybody knows and can see the obvious flaws in his game.

Don't forget that's IMHO.

Edited by Bill

When I posted my thoughts on Lukaku further up I had a little bet to myself who would respond first and how long it would take them. And I was right

I just don't understand why you all defend him so vigorously when everybody knows and can see the obvious flaws in his game.

Don't forget that's IMHO.

I defend him because despite those flaws his positives are huge.

Whatever striker we get once he's gone is going to have big flaws too you know. We're Everton and won't be able to attract a flawless striker (even though we could probably afford one). So will everyone carry on moaning about the new striker when his flaws become apparent?

Personally I think Rom with all his flaws is probably at the top end of strikers we could have here and whoever we go with next won't be as good, their positives won't make up for their flaws in as big a way. But we shall soon see and I will be hoping I'm wrong.

If we believe that Lukaku is the best player that we can attract to the club then we really don't have much aspirations.

He has made it abundantly clear that he seen Everton as a stepping stone from the get go - we went in for him pretty early after his loan and he hedged his bets, he made no statement wanting to sign for us, which is quite strange as he usually sings like a canary. He went to the world cup in a very very talented Belgian team that many picked to go to the final - was very very poor and lost his place to Origi (who by all accounts is impressing the red noses). After the world cup things went very quiet for him on the transfer front and he basically had to go with us as per the Mirror article.

He had a poor first full season barring the europa league which seemed to get him interested, this season he has showed the player he can be and also showed the player that annoys. He's a good finisher who in todays game can attract £60m bids from teams with money to take chances on players.

This brings me onto Barkley - in terms of physicality and talent he is without peers, in terms of application he is pretty much the same as Lukaku "lazy". That said, its not like people hold back in slating Barkley - its not like people defend his games when he looks brainless, gutless and uninterested.

Was interested to see Jags lose it at both barkley and lukaku yesterday - was good to see. A bit late in the day like but good to see an elder player rip into these young "superstars".

If we believe that Lukaku is the best player that we can attract to the club then we really don't have much aspirations.

He has made it abundantly clear that he seen Everton as a stepping stone from the get go - we went in for him pretty early after his loan and he hedged his bets, he made no statement wanting to sign for us, which is quite strange as he usually sings like a canary. He went to the world cup in a very very talented Belgian team that many picked to go to the final - was very very poor and lost his place to Origi (who by all accounts is impressing the red noses). After the world cup things went very quiet for him on the transfer front and he basically had to go with us as per the Mirror article.

He had a poor first full season barring the europa league which seemed to get him interested, this season he has showed the player he can be and also showed the player that annoys. He's a good finisher who in todays game can attract £60m bids from teams with money to take chances on players.

This brings me onto Barkley - in terms of physicality and talent he is without peers, in terms of application he is pretty much the same as Lukaku "lazy". That said, its not like people hold back in slating Barkley - its not like people defend his games when he looks brainless, gutless and uninterested.

Was interested to see Jags lose it at both barkley and lukaku yesterday - was good to see. A bit late in the day like but good to see an elder player rip into these young "superstars".

Need More of this!

For me Lukaku, Barkley and Stones have all started to believe their own hype, all skilled players but play as if the world is owed to them.

Lukaku's goalscoring ability is unquestionable.

He offers very little else though. His hold up play, first touch and passing are all poor and he lacks the ability to bring other players into play

Last season they were poor, this season he has improved dramatically even if it's still only "ok" (except his passing, I think he's very good with his vision and execution, so long as there's someone there to pass too!)

He'll just continue to improve his game as he develops, he's proven that this season, and he's got another 3-5 seasons before he'll be considered "in his prime"!

Edited by Matt

Whatever striker we get once he's gone is going to have big flaws too you know. We're Everton and won't be able to attract a flawless striker (even though we could probably afford one). So will everyone carry on moaning about the new striker when his flaws become apparent?

I don't think such a player exists do they?

What is wrong with you?! :blink2:

You sound like my wife :lol:. It's brilliant (but then my taste buds are a bit odd admittedly)!

Scariest thing for me, at present, if Lukaku is sold early in the window, for some time Niasse might be our go-to replacement....

You bastard....

we could go 442 and stick him up alongside Kone ;)

Edited by Matt

just genuinely can't get my head around why he gets ripped to shreds so much when he's a big player for us, who has contributed massively.

For me personally, it is mostly the context in which he is praised, when our manager is the one actually getting ripped to shreds across all types of media in real time week in week out.

The manager who brought him in and sets the team up for him to score 25, he wouldn't have got anywhere near that under our previous set up.