IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

What a brain fart of a story from Ian Doyle, he's been reading too many forums.

On the subject of Lukaku and Mirallas he says, "The pair haven't been among Evertons leading performers this season ".......well who the fuc% has been !!

Then he goes on to praise Seamus Colman for not rocking the boat and asking for a move, when let's be honest on this seasons form, who would want Seamus !

I wonder why more hasn't been made of the Eto uprising, the changing room mutiny , Pienaar throwing Duncan Ferguson out of the door :rofl:

Look, you can all spit feathers all you like but it's not like Lukaku thought to himself "I want to do an interview, lets go and find a journalist". He'll have been sought out and been asked a number of questions, with one probably being along the lines of "so where do you want to go with your career?" Like any footballer he wants to play at the top and said so. It's not like he said "Everton are shite, I am Romelu Lukaku so get me out of here." He said if he progresses then one day he hopes to arrive at a top club again. Not now.

Look, you can all spit feathers all you like but it's not like Lukaku thought to himself "I want to do an interview, lets go and find a journalist". He'll have been sought out and been asked a number of questions, with one probably being along the lines of "so where do you want to go with your career?" Like any footballer he wants to play at the top and said so. It's not like he said "Everton are shite, I am Romelu Lukaku so get me out of here." He said if he progresses then one day he hopes to arrive at a top club again. Not now.

Just seems to be Lukakus misfortune that he appears to be the only player unable to deal with such questions in a manner that doesn't cause controversy.

Wilmots has criticised Lukaku for talking too much, Mourinho did, and it seems that Mr Martinez is more tolerant to his need to get his messages across through the media.

The lad isn't thick - well supposedly not. It appears to me he is too fond of looking for reasons as to why he isn't scoring, isn't playing or whatever. What he did in the world cup was not different to what John Terry got stick for - talking about what tactics that manager should employ, players he should play.

For me he needs to be more humble. It seems he thinks he is too big for this club - its not like he is Luis Suarez or Gareth Bale, a player that can be sold for over £50m to one of the two biggest clubs in the world.

At this moment in time he is talking about himself as if he is doing a good job - well IMO he isn't. Maybe some fans turn their heads away when another ball to him ends up with the defender passing it to the oppositions winger and launch another attack. Its not jumpers for goalposts, fa double or 60 seconds. He can't just stand and wait for the ball to arrive rolled in front of him.

It says a lot about his character that his best games of the season came after he was dropped for two games... since then he has reverted to type.

If Mr. Lukaku doesn't end up playing a bit better I think Everton will be the biggest club he ever plays consistently for anyways.

It such a shame to see players talk the way he has recently. It's like they would rather just be sold to a "big" club than bother to try to make their club any good. Hasn't scoring goals been Everton's biggest problem lately? Isn't that his area? How about taking a little responsibility for yourself instead of dreaming about the future?

"Right now, Lukaku looks nothing like a £28-million player. A player demanding a fee of that magnitude is supposed to carry his team at times; he's supposed to inspire them to victories, deliver them points.

He isn't."

That quote sums it up for me.

Oh geez. Is this whining thread ever going to end? :rolleyes:

Steve I think the difference here is that many of his backers (myself included) are getting more fed up with each performance and big upping himself interview.

I'll stick back the lad and want Everton to win, I've just ran out of patience. 17 goals with west Brom, 15 with Everton, 7 looking like 10 maybe 12 at best now. I thought this would be his beast mode coming of age season. Not so.

Oh geez. Is this whining thread ever going to end? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't call it The whining thread apart from me, I'd call it the "false dawn thread".

One good game and its "his control has improved", "He's over his broken toe", "it was our playing style"

The truth is he resembles fellaini in his one good game every 5 inconsistency.

Steve I think the difference here is that many of his backers (myself included) are getting more fed up with each performance and big upping himself interview.

I'll stick back the lad and want Everton to win, I've just ran out of patience. 17 goals with west Brom, 15 with Everton, 7 looking like 10 maybe 12 at best now. I thought this would be his beast mode coming of age season. Not so.

He's on 10 goals right now, where has 7 come from?

I did some research into goals scored as a forward who has come on as a sub.

The noise from WBA fans was that Rom was a very good impact player and stats especially run against the likes of dzecko, Hernandez etc have a very strong correlation that if a forward comes on in the second half he has a far greater chance of scoring than any other forward who started.

Of lukakus 17 wba goals only 3 came in the first half. He only played the full 90 7 games out of 35.

Out of curiosity (I'm going to ignore the nonsense being posted for everyone's sanity), when was the last time we had a striker that got into double figures 2 seasons in a row? I can only think of Saha in the last 10 years (including cup goals). Looking around, add Duncan to that list for the whole Premiership era, and I cannot find anyone else. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Even if there are one or 2 others to add to the list, thats a pretty shitty list if we've got max 5 strikers hitting double figures in consecutive seasons in 25 years. Lukaku is still scoring despite his poor form and the poor form of the team. Everton have 44 goals in all competitions so far, Lukaku has scored or assisted 25% of them. Last season he was responsible for nearly 40% all told. But he is not good enough :lol:

Another point... Certain people wanted and moaned about getting a marquee player, for the board to show we had the money and "ambition" (still find it ridiculous that spending money equals ambition) to compete with the top. We brought in a goalscorer for 24m (potentially rising to 28m) which for me ticks the marquee and "ambition" boxes, whilst covering a position we have been desperate for for years with a player who can actually score goals. But then, because he cost so much he gets battered by the same people who wanted an expensive player! Because he shows ambition to play at the highest level, he's ridiculed! Maybe if he spent a lot of money, that would show his ambition better :dry:

I know he is under performing (along with the whole team), which has been down to injury and a change in our approach play early in the season, etc. etc. but FFS the lad is still scoring! And people want to get rid of him?! The mind boggles!

I'm going to try not to reply to the "yeah, but.... he talks to the media" or "he's not the complete player" comebacks, they've been done and I still think they're utterly irrelevant. He is a goal scorer brought in to score goals and is... wait for it.... scoring goals! :o

I will continue to support the lad even if he isn't playing his best, like I support the team even when they're not playing there best. When he is shite and stops scoring, I'll call for him to dropped for good or sold, but until then....

Out of curiosity (I'm going to ignore the nonsense being posted for everyone's sanity), when was the last time we had a striker that got into double figures 2 seasons in a row? I can only think of Saha in the last 10 years (including cup goals). Looking around, add Duncan to that list for the whole Premiership era, and I cannot find anyone else. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Dunc did (with 10 & 11) and so did Tony Cottee in the first two years of the PL (12 & 16). Kevin Campbell did it twice but not consecutively (although he did if you include cup goals)..

Dunc did (with 10 & 11) and so did Tony Cottee in the first two years of the PL (12 & 16). Kevin Campbell did it twice but not consecutively (although he did if you include cup goals)..

Bloody hell, didn't think we'd have to go that far back! :lol:

Wait, thats not funny really :(

He has 7 goals in the premier.

And heres who got the rest. Everton have failed to score in six of the last ten games

Goals scored .. league only. 31

Lukaku - 7, Mirallas - 5, Naismith - 5, Eto'o - 3, Baines - 2, Jagielka - 2, Coleman - 2,

Osman - 1, McGeady - 1, Kone - 1, Barkley - 1, Own Goal - 1

For me, yesterday proved that if Lukaku is 'on his game' and we use him effectively, we can be devastating.

its interesting isn't it. For me he is definately proving what I have said:-

He is a great finisher

He does have a poor touch

He can be strong when his head decides to be

His performance levels stem from "how up for it" he is

The latter point is the key. He is always gonna miss chances due to a bad touch, but he will score chances due to being a great finisher - the thing he needs is to "stay motivated, work hard"

Naismith makes awful passes at least 5 times a game but he wants the ball and makes a great pass one in 5 - thats fine, because he doesn't hide, he wants to win and the fans respect him for it.

More of the same please Rom, attitude wise certainly.

Edited by Hafnia

its interesting isn't it. For me he is definately proving what I have said:-

He is a great finisher

He does have a poor touch

He can be strong when his head decides to be

His performance levels stem from "how up for it" he is

The latter point is the key. He is always gonna miss chances due to a bad touch, but he will score chances due to being a great finisher - the thing he needs is to "stay motivated, work hard"

Naismith makes awful passes at least 5 times a game but he wants the ball and makes a great pass one in 5 - thats fine, because he doesn't hide, he wants to win and the fans respect him for it.

More of the same please Rom, attitude wise certainly.

MIssing a key part of the game yesterday, he was given chances to run on to and to poach. Its been so long since he got that amount of service, which in turn helps motivation.

His touch was mostly excellent last night too, though there were some mistakes obviously along with his hold up play. I agree we need to see more of it more often.

One thing I've noticed in recent games is his vision, and often execution, of a pass too, which is something I didn't expect to see from him.