Sign in to follow this  
Romey 1878

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

The most obvious conclusion to make is never offer stats that can be viewed as criticism of a fan favourite no matter how valid.

Then people who enjoy the thread will miss out.

Do yourself a favour and don't argue with people who are obviously fishing.

Get into a debate with the opposites, and the rest of us get chance to read some really interesting points and stats.

Get back on it and stop slacking!

Then people who enjoy the thread will miss out.

Do yourself a favour and don't argue with people who are obviously fishing.

Get into a debate with the opposites, and the rest of us get chance to read some really interesting points and stats.

Get back on it and stop slacking!

i usually don't fish, and I wasn't this time either. The only reason I put the effort into debating Haf is because I want to understand and, as much as he infuriates me (as I'm sure I do to him), I respect his input (mostly :P).

For this particular topic, it's gone on because neither of us seem to be able to get our point across in the right way or want to accept "defeat", for want of a better term. I agree with a lot of his points regarding Rom but disagree with many too. I enjoy it and hate it for the most part, even if it does get fractious sometimes.

The most obvious conclusion to make is never offer stats that can be viewed as criticism of a fan favourite no matter how valid.

Most obvious conclusion is to let people have their own opinions.

When (some time ago) I used detailed unarguable stats to point out that he was far more two footed than you suggested and that he scored far more with his head than you thought you huffed and puffed and gave reasons why your opinion was still that he was hopeless with his right peg and his bonce was right, despite the evidence. You put your interpretation on it, which is fine.

Now if you bring up stats suggesting something allow others to do the same eh?

Matt, I love to read your verbal sparring haha.

You both debate well. Others come on just to get a rise, or to throw an insult. That's what I don't like reading.

If I find a thread Boeing I tend to stay away, or don't get involved.

Wish others could do that. No one is forced to read or get involved in these threads.

I find the comparisons with Kane really interesting.

Don't necessarily think Kane is better though.

Rom needs competition. If he had someone snapping at his position then we may see more aggression in his play.....same as Barkley.

Matt, I love to read your verbal sparring haha.

You both debate well. Others come on just to get a rise, or to throw an insult. That's what I don't like reading.

If I find a thread Boeing I tend to stay away, or don't get involved.

Wish others could do that. No one is forced to read or get involved in these threads.

I find the comparisons with Kane really interesting.

Don't necessarily think Kane is better though.

Rom needs competition. If he had someone snapping at his position then we may see more aggression in his play.....same as Barkley.

It is people flying off the handle half cocked that gets to me, we all know where Haf and Matt are positioned on this thread by now.... if not I suggest folks read the entire thing again, but how about a change of track and discuss Lukaku on his good points from Haf and his bad points from Matt? Maybe this way we can find some common ground. AND some facts instead of lies statistics

It is people flying off the handle half cocked that gets to me, we all know where Haf and Matt are positioned on this thread by now.... if not I suggest folks read the entire thing again, but how about a change of track and discuss Lukaku on his good points from Haf and his bad points from Matt? Maybe this way we can find some common ground. AND some facts instead of lies statistics

I could try that as an experiment.

When (some time ago) I used detailed unarguable stats to point out that he was far more two footed than you suggested and that he scored far more with his head than you thought you huffed and puffed and gave reasons why your opinion was still that he was hopeless with his right peg and his bonce was right, despite the evidence. You put your interpretation on it, which is fine.

interesting post!

Big difference between my belief that on his right foot he's extremely hit and miss..... which has a fair bit of credibility.... to what extreme you think it's acceptable that a pro footballer has a swinger for their weak foot is up to the individual. I personally do not think his right foot is anywhere near acceptable. That said - they same can be said for other strikers.

Moving on.... it was suggested to me that Kane only scores more goals because he plays in a team that creates more.

So. Do spurs create an environment that would allow a striker to score more goals? Yes. I pretty much knew this. Most just accepted that Kane was a lucky lad to play in a better team.

I have compared key pass numbers with goals scored - it's a very solid method of comparing each strikers ability to score goals relevant to the environment..... after all its what you guys were stating was the crucial difference.

I've done that and now the conclusion is being challenged? I must be at a loss here. The variables have been set to me in an argument.... "kane scores goals because he's in a more creative side"

What is there to differ on? We know each players goals and we know each teams number of key passes (indicative of crwativity).... now unless my formula is flawed:- key passes / goals = goalscoring efficiency. How can the conclusion differ?

Debate the methodology by all means if there is grounds.. the answer and what it tells you isn't up to debate

Big difference between my belief that on his right foot he's extremely hit and miss..... which has a fair bit of credibility.... to what extreme you think it's acceptable that a pro footballer has a swinger for their weak foot is up to the individual. I personally do not think his right foot is anywhere near acceptable. That said - they same can be said for other strikers.

Glad you're seeing sense

Messi has scored 21% of goals with his wrong foot, Ronaldo 25%, Aguero 25%. Rom 35%. Not too shabby.

How does the data describe a key pass?

You watch Spurs and there are chances galore with a better quality midfield with Eriksen alone making more goals than our midfield. Compare that to Everton's bore fest the past two years of slow passes with Lukaku being surrounded by defenders as Barkley has a brew passing it sideways, to Kone on the left wing who then goes backwards.

There is something missing in the centre of the park and it affects Barkley as much as lukaku, I would like to see one of the DM's dropped (not sure who as they are both excellent) and someone alongside Ross so to provide more of an attacking outlet. So when Ross gets the ball he can ping it straight away to him and then it's passed immediately or someone else can run at the defence, maybe bolasie there and Geri on the wing?

There is something missing in the centre of the park and it affects Barkley as much as lukaku, I would like to see one of the DM's dropped (not sure who as they are both excellent) and someone alongside Ross so to provide more of an attacking outlet. So when Ross gets the ball he can ping it straight away to him and then it's passed immediately or someone else can run at the defence, maybe bolasie there and Geri on the wing?

It's worries me that were not good enough to field one defensive midfielder. Top teams like city do it, but I don't think overall we have the quality to put less than 2 DM out there.

Plus you can't drop either Gueye or Barry, they're our two best midfielders.

Thought he was quality today especially later on in the game.

I’ve noticed he’s a lot fitter than he was a couple of years ago, not sure how much that’s improved under Koeman from Martinez but he’s certainly not struggling at the end of games like he was and he was looking like he could easily get another goal or two towards the end. West Ham looked pretty weak defensively but he go made the most of it and played others in well. The assist for Barkley’s goal was quality, great ball from Barkley and with no one in the box Lukaku held it up brilliantly with a few defenders in front of him. The ball to Barkley was just perfect.

I don’t think we’ll see him ever do the kind of chasing around the Koeman would like but if it means he can play 90 minutes well and score goals consistently then I don’t mind that!

First 2 videos are clearly forgeries, he doesn't score against the top teams :P:fishing:

Seriously though, inconsistent or not, it's an impressive landmark

_92156682_lukaku11.jpg

Ah They will he clips of his 1 in 4 ratio goals ... not the 1 in 2 ratio goals.

theyre clips of him scoring, if that's what you mean ;)

If you are going to fish then make sure you are using the correct bait.

No one has said lukaku has "never scored against a top team"... what I have proven is that he scores a disproportionately lesser amount of goals against top teams.

Anyhow.... feel free to discuss his good performance yesterday.

He was really clear in what he wanted to improve. Also the consistency. He has told me off only one time this season. It was in training and about the type of movements he wanted me to make. He was clear in his idea – there is a real clarity about what he wants on the pitch. That helps me. I have never started a season so well.”

that's the key bit I took from it - all the 100% committed stuff blah blah is typical rhetoric I'm used to reading.

However..... I think his attitude has improved a reasonable amount. For the first time in the best part of a year Rom gave us an all round performance with some endeavour.

Its interesting the word "consistency" and "movement" - something I have banged on about for a while. Koeman was a very sharp minded defender - he knows how strikers should move.... he worked with one of the best at it in romario

Seriously does, all sorts! Heads, left and right foot, poaching, running at defences, deadball...

Enjoyed that :)

Nice montage. His one on one finishes were probably the best IMO.

His area breakdown:-

6 yard box:- 15 - 30%

Penalty box:- 32 - 64%

Outside box:- 3 - 6%

By body part:-

Right foot:- 13 - 26%

Left foot:- 26 - 52%

Head:- 11 - 22%

By situation:-

Open play:- 42

counter attack:- 1

set piece (inc from corner) :- 4

pen:- 3

For me - he needs to come off penno duties, not accurate enough. We definitely need to get him more of threat in the air - he's 6ft 4 and should have far more headed goals.

Agreed on pens, but for headers, you have to take into account hat we didn't practice corners etc under RM which undoubtably had an impact on opportunities to convert.

Anyway, here's to the next 50!

Agreed on pens, but for headers, you have to take into account hat we didn't practice corners etc under RM which undoubtably had an impact on opportunities to convert.

Anyway, here's to the next 50!

yeah there is that - but just from an observational point he struggles to anticipate the correct flight of the ball with which to time his jump and meet it at the "highest point that he can connect with"

this is nothing to do with height - its all about understanding where he needs to be, Ferguson, Naisy, Cahill, absolute masters at it - the last two were no taller than 5ft 10 but their timing and aggression were superb.

This is something he can work at - Koeman will not let him off with it.

Very impressive this season. No more to be said.

lots moreso than any other season - I look forward to seeing him replicate his second half against West Ham.... much more rounded than we have seen him play in a year.

lots moreso than any other season - I look forward to seeing him replicate his second half against West Ham.... much more rounded than we have seen him play in a year.

I'd argue his first season, but I agree with the rest

I'd argue his first season, but I agree with the rest

I would on a whim but I recall stating pretty much straight away that I had issues with his all round game. He was very good from October to Jan..... and then tailed off. Something he seems to have a tendency to do.

I think Koeman has him fitter than I've seen him. Long may it continue. He needs to be fit for what we need him to do.

If he keeps up his form of recent weeks till end of year we could have a fight on our hands to keep him in the January transfer window Arsenal, Spurs and Utd are all struggling to put the ball in the net and may be looking at him as a quick fix

Doesn't sound like he would've been happy to get rid of him in the summer at all does it?

Sounds to me that he's basically saying to Rom "don't expect to be sold in jan.... we will sell you in the summer and if you want your elite level club then keep going as you are"

He's using the carrot, he's possibly trying to prevent his January lull. Look at his previous 3 years - after Christmas he drops when the window is open.

I think Koeman is being smart.

I think he'll be at Man U next season with his bezzie Pogba and we'll get silly money.

I think they'll play ball with us over Schneiderlin in January to pave the way for this next summer regardless of each club's performance this season.

I Deffo think he's off in summer and has been promised.

Just watching his countryman on fantasy footy - fellaini...

His 1 to 11

De gea

Valencia (not coleman?)

Baines

Distin (chum)

Ferdinand

Hazard

Giggs

Pogba

De bruyne

Rooney

Ibra

I think he'll be at Man U next season with his bezzie Pogba and we'll get silly money.

I think they'll play ball with us over Schneiderlin in January to pave the way for this next summer regardless of each club's performance this season.

I hope we'll be able to find a very good replacement. I'm worried we won't and we'll suffer.