IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Oh dear!

I fear that Rom is a 20 mill plus version of Anichebe. As all have said, his ball control is atrocious, at least Anichebe never suffered there. Rom is playing back-to-goal like Anichebe did and just pushing the ball back to where it came from. He has little vision and a complete lack of awareness of what's going on around him.

As a goalscorer he's excellent but getting no service so finds himself as "the man on the wing" pushed out by defenders who know exactly how to play him and unseen and forgotten by his team mates.

He knows how to score goals and little else and has little to contribute to the team. A player that cost 5-6 mill could fill his shoes easily and do a better job too. Martinez needs to find a way to get Rom into the game to give us 11 players instead of the 10 and a passenger that we currently have.

That said, the whole team attitude, shape and tactics need a comprehensive overhaul. Martinez needs to step up next year....10 games tops to see whether he can cut it.

Anichebe never got 16 goals and 19 goals in a season. You're smoking crack oz, anichebe is crap and will always be, look at west brom he starts almost every game and still doesn't score. Lukaku has shown so much improvement, one more and he's at 20 goals. That's an amazing accomplishment :)

Agree with mark here. Lukaku still has a lot to learn, but Anichebe is a poor player and seems to have an even poorer attitude sometimes. Getting £6M for him from WBA-- or whatever we got for him -- was a good business by the club.

He has one more than Jelavic in the league...nothing amazing.

While I disagree that he can he replaced easily I also can't see why people think he has had a good season? He's been average at best this year and his goal return shows it.

Again I'm not sure why so many are letting the freak euro run scew his record. Fact is he in the top 30 goalscorers in the premiership this season.....that's nothing great...Not even good.

Again I think he will come good when the team comes good. Bit at the moment it has been what....ten matches since he scored an open play goal.....can't for the life of me see how that is a good season.

Oh dear!

I fear that Rom is a 20 mill plus version of Anichebe. As all have said, his ball control is atrocious, at least Anichebe never suffered there. Rom is playing back-to-goal like Anichebe did and just pushing the ball back to where it came from. He has little vision and a complete lack of awareness of what's going on around him.

As a goalscorer he's excellent but getting no service so finds himself as "the man on the wing" pushed out by defenders who know exactly how to play him and unseen and forgotten by his team mates.

He knows how to score goals and little else and has little to contribute to the team. A player that cost 5-6 mill could fill his shoes easily and do a better job too. Martinez needs to find a way to get Rom into the game to give us 11 players instead of the 10 and a passenger that we currently have.

That said, the whole team attitude, shape and tactics need a comprehensive overhaul. Martinez needs to step up next year....10 games tops to see whether he can cut it.

I stopped reading here....

While I disagree that he can he replaced easily I also can't see why people think he has had a good season? He's been average at best this year and his goal return shows it.

Again I'm not sure why so many are letting the freak euro run scew his record. Fact is he in the top 30 goalscorers in the premiership this season.....that's nothing great...Not even good.

Again I think he will come good when the team comes good. Bit at the moment it has been what....ten matches since he scored an open play goal.....can't for the life of me see how that is a good season.

i can understand your logic with the League cup and FA cup early rounds since we are playing "lesser" competition but surely some of the best teams in europe count for something? his 8 goals in europa is still tied for first shukes, i get you're all pissed off and having a rough one after the loss but it wasn't a fluke. week in and out he battered teams. he deserves that co-golden boot if he ends up with it. he was on another level in europe and frankly i love that. shows he is able to up his game for the big matches, something every star player should do.

Ye your right. I just get so dissapointed with what our players should be producing.

I know lukaku can be a beast on hos day...it's just not often enough.

Take Saturday...the first 20 minutes he wad a bully. The next 70 he was nowhere to he seen.

You said everything I wanted to say....only better. Edited by Oztoffee

We are suffering from a grandiose idea that our players are something special. A look at any TV fixture will tell you that most of the team are average and some slightly more so, some slightly less.

There is not one stand out player that we could say truthfully (without the blinkers on)that is top class. Attack, midfield or defence most of our team are at best second tier against the likes of City and Chelsea players.

Yes, I know that we're not able to afford the top players, so why do so many on here expect those sort of performances? Very few of Everton's side ever play at their full potential, most only a few times a season. Most players have average games and the odd stinker, unfortunately the stinkers happen when other players have their stinker too. Result...pick any game this season against a lower-placed side.

Some players play at a constant level, Stones for instance who hardly puts a foot wrong. Baines and Coleman however are great players on their day, but cracks are showing in their games, Coleman is in and out of form and Baines often looks like he'd rather be somewhere else.

We need some wholesale changes, either of players or attitude to achieve anything remotely resembling a good team. Shit, even the likes of Stoke and Swansea have better attitudes than Everton and there would be few supporters of this club who would say thet either of them were better teams.

We are suffering from a grandiose idea that our players are something special. A look at any TV fixture will tell you that most of the team are average and some slightly more so, some slightly less.

There is not one stand out player that we could say truthfully (without the blinkers on)that is top class. Attack, midfield or defence most of our team are at best second tier against the likes of City and Chelsea players.

Yes, I know that we're not able to afford the top players, so why do so many on here expect those sort of performances? Very few of Everton's side ever play at their full potential, most only a few times a season. Most players have average games and the odd stinker, unfortunately the stinkers happen when other players have their stinker too. Result...pick any game this season against a lower-placed side.

Some players play at a constant level, Stones for instance who hardly puts a foot wrong. Baines and Coleman however are great players on their day, but cracks are showing in their games, Coleman is in and out of form and Baines often looks like he'd rather be somewhere else.

We need some wholesale changes, either of players or attitude to achieve anything remotely resembling a good team. Shit, even the likes of Stoke and Swansea have better attitudes than Everton and there would be few supporters of this club who would say thet either of them were better teams.

This all day. We are long overdue for a squad revamp. Keep the younger players in Stones, McCarthy, Barkley, and Lukaku; they're our spine, and we need to build around them.

do you know the squad?

coleman - one of the best rb in league, irish international

jags - one of the best cb in league, starting england cb

stones - amazing prospect, english international

baines - best lb in league, starting england LB

mccarthy - one of the best DCM in the league, starting irish cm

barkley - amazing prospect, english international

mirallas - former greek leading scorer, class player, belgian international

lukaku - amazing prospect, belgian international

that's 8 of the starting 11, tell me again how our players aren't special?

do you know the squad?

Your post says it all. 3 prospects, 1 former Greek leading scorer, 3 x 1 of the best, best lb. Apart from your appraisal of Baines (who I believe has his heart elsewhere this season and the latter part of last season), the rest are either all prospects, or one of the best (in other words - not the best).

From your own writings then it appears that Baines is the only top player.

Every other club could say the same thing 'we have one of the best' or 'a great prospect'. And it's true. Even the 'lower rated' clubs have great prospects and 'one of the best's!

By and large our 'prospects' are not performing, with the regular exception of Stones. And of course the likes of Baines, Jags and Coleman are not immune to the odd stinker.....too many unfortunately.

Stoke, Swansea, West Ham and others have had better seasons than us, and have entertained along the way, unlike Everton, yet we consider that we have a good team.

It's time to take the blue glasses off and see the situation as it really is. We have an ordinary squad that plays above it's weight at times and sinks to the depths of inadequacy at other times (unfortunately the latter far too often) and we have a couple of outstanding players, one of whom says he doesn't like football!

We have an ordinary manager who in his first season promised so much only to deliver so much less in his subsequent season. That in itself is cause enough for a little alarm without the banal, rather pointless, sometimes downright embarrassing remarks at after-match interviews and a complete lack of guts and guile when subs are the subject.

In short, we are far from being in the top echelons of the Prem and are destined to be a mid-table team unless there is a real shake-up in the close season and the manager gets to grips with what makes a team go. (He should know this already having taken Wigan to a Cup Final win!). So get the blue glasses off and see the situation as it really is. Hopefully Martinez has a better season next year and the players play like they want to win, not like at present where they play as if they are just picking up a wage packet every week.

do you know the squad?

Your post says it all. 3 prospects, 1 former Greek leading scorer, 3 x 1 of the best, best lb. Apart from your appraisal of Baines (who I believe has his heart elsewhere this season and the latter part of last season), the rest are either all prospects, or one of the best (in other words - not the best).

From your own writings then it appears that Baines is the only top player.

Every other club could say the same thing 'we have one of the best' or 'a great prospect'. And it's true. Even the 'lower rated' clubs have great prospects and 'one of the best's!

By and large our 'prospects' are not performing, with the regular exception of Stones. And of course the likes of Baines, Jags and Coleman are not immune to the odd stinker.....too many unfortunately.

Stoke, Swansea, West Ham and others have had better seasons than us, and have entertained along the way, unlike Everton, yet we consider that we have a good team.

It's time to take the blue glasses off and see the situation as it really is. We have an ordinary squad that plays above it's weight at times and sinks to the depths of inadequacy at other times (unfortunately the latter far too often) and we have a couple of outstanding players, one of whom says he doesn't like football!

We have an ordinary manager who in his first season promised so much only to deliver so much less in his subsequent season. That in itself is cause enough for a little alarm without the banal, rather pointless, sometimes downright embarrassing remarks at after-match interviews and a complete lack of guts and guile when subs are the subject.

In short, we are far from being in the top echelons of the Prem and are destined to be a mid-table team unless there is a real shake-up in the close season and the manager gets to grips with what makes a team go. (He should know this already having taken Wigan to a Cup Final win!). So get the blue glasses off and see the situation as it really is. Hopefully Martinez has a better season next year and the players play like they want to win, not like at present where they play as if they are just picking up a wage packet every week.

Agree with most of Oztoffees reply.

Mark you are completely overrating most of the squad. Especially McCarthy - he's ordinary Joe and gets far far too much praise for what he actually does. He's ineffective.

Cant believe the negativity towards Lukaku. Look through Evertons top scorers season by season. How many have scored as many as Lukaku in modern times? I think you can count them on one hand and Lukaku has done it twice, in two seasons.

http://toffeeweb.com/history/players/goalscorers.php

Edit* apart from Yakubus amazing fluke season you have to go back to the early nineties. And lets face it, the league was a different league back then. Football has evolved alot in the past 20-25 years

Edited by Peter H