IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I think somewhere between the two opinion schools is the most accurate.

Too many blow ridiculous amounts smoke up his arse. For me it's all about this "potential" word. And for me that is his physicality. Beast, unstoppable, powerful etc etc the big 6ft 4 power house who scores goals...

I'll be honest, looks are deceiving. He is the poster boy for great footballing genetics, an Ivan Drago footballer who should be able to throw defenders all over the place. The reality is he's a bit of a kitten.

I'd go as far as saying Luis Suarez is stronger. Aguero is stronger, both are quicker both over 10 yards and 50 yards. Harry Kane allround is more of a handful.

Is he as bad as what I say? Probably not. My criticism is severe in order to be an antidote to the over the top praise he gets for being pretty average at times.

He reminds me of Frank Bruno, you look at him and think "he looks like a machine, then you see a 5ft 10 inch tank destroy him and he looks very soft"

I'm not overly excited nor overly disappointed. Far too many eggs being put in the Rom basket. He will never be a class striker. It's not in his game. He lacks the technical prowess to be as good as many think. He's very one footed, not very good in the air, poor with his back to goal.

If people accept he can be a good striker playing off the defenders shoulder then that's ok. It will limit us tactically but it's the only way he will get the goals people want to see from him.

The way I look at it is this; if, come next season, the rest of the side are performing to the level we know they're capable of and Lukaku still struggles then I'll worry. But the fact is that this season the whole side has underperformed, Lukaku included, and he's still managed to score 20 goals. It doesn't matter how many were in the EL, they still count - Harry Kane scored a shitload in the cup games this season but I don't think they've been taken off his tally! And he is clearly contributing even when he's not scoring because he's got a good amount of assists too. As far as I'm concerned Barkley has had a far worse season than Lukaku and yet he escapes the sort of criticism that Lukaku has taken this season, but Lukaku has given us much more - without him we'd have been fucked this season.

20 goals in what we say is a poor season for him; imagine what he could do if he has a good season? We should be excited by him, not tearing him to shreds. He may not be world class, he may not ever be world class, but he's ours and we brought him here to score goals. He does that and his all round game IS improving. You can keep your farty strikers who run around a lot and will be a nice little team player, I want a striker to put the ball in the back of the net. And that's why I'll back Lukaku.

Take a bow son! ?

I think Hafnia's 'Frank Bruno' analogy is apt. Rom looks the part, everyone wants him to do well but he just keeps coming up short.

Occasional flashes of brilliance keep us interested but then he regresses into being ordinary, which is more often than not. Continuing with the boxing analogy - he doesn't punch his weight.

I'd be quite interested to see something that supports "direct" football = best out of Rom.

For me direct football = less reliance on his inability to link play and have his back to goal. Rather than a big aha moment.

He has had some of his best performances in an Everton shirt when playing progressive, possession based football. See 2013-2014. See Man City game.

Put plainly, I think it's a load of bollocks. It's his inconsistencies that are the issue. Inconsistency in attitude/desire. Inconsistency in touch. Inconsistency in confidence.

Looks £50m one game £8m the next.

He's in the same boat as Ross, I am watching and anticipating a break out season.

Wasn't that his first open play goal since January?

So us playing more open football has allowed him to score from penalty mostly since January....not the best stat to use to prove his progression.

Richie once scored seven goals for Oldham....the big teams didn't go out and buy him because his stats were great that year....the reason?....his seven goals in one game scewed his stats.

Question....if Lukaku never scores next season in the premier and we finish 15th.

But he scores 10 goals in four games in the FA cup before we go out to a first division team.

Then he scores 12 in a simular run in the league cup.

Would we all still celebrate that he had a great season?

Not a sarcastic question either...I really am interested in how people perceive stats.

Edited by Shukes

The team had been utterly bollocks, osman when fit is the only creative outlet we've had. 10 league goals considering the service is a bloody miracle.

I think this has been a major factor in our season.

Ossie has looked like a world beater when coming on recently in our team

People are saying he has had a good season though Romey.

I agree with you that the whole team has been poor and his score reflects this.

I'm just putting a point across to those arguing he has had a good season.

Personally I think he will bag in 15 to 20 goals in the premier next season.

He is very young and despite what others have said...he HAS improved.

But it's still been a poor season from him as well as everyone else.

I just can't use others as an excuse for him. If he was working like Naisy and still playing poor then I could ezcuse that, but the fact is he hasn't turned up on occasions.

Here's the bottom line:

Total goals in three most recent seasons: 12/13=>17; 13/14=>16; 14/15=>20 (and counting). If the trend continues, he'll score around 22 goals next season.

Goals in the Premier League only: 12/13=>17; 13/14=>15; 14/15=10 (and counting). If the trend continues, he'll score around 6 goals in the league next season.

Total goals per game (non-starter counts as 1/2 a game): 12/13=>0.56; 13/14=>0.50; 14/15=>0.46. If the trend continues, he'll score 0.42 goals per game next season.

Total goals per league game (same rule for non-starter): 12/13=>0.62; 13/14=>0.50; 14/15=>0.30. If the trend continues, he'll score 0.15 goals per game next season.

This is raw data, completely uninterpreted. What it's saying is that (i) he scored the most goals this season, and (ii) his numbers are declining in every other category. None of that is disputable.

Now we come to the controversial bit: Why are his numbers declining? Some have said it's because of a lack of effort. Others have said it's because of poor service. Others have said that under-performing colleagues result in an under-performing Lukaku. I'd like to suggest one other potential factor: The more he plays in the Premier League, the more other teams understand his approach and come up with better strategies to shut him down. This also explains why his goals per game were highest in the Europa League - because he was a new face for them.

So, if this is a factor, how do we change it? First, he must learn new tricks. We've said this about McGeady: one-trick ponies don't last that long. Second, he needs a partner upfront, because that would open up a world of other opportunities. Third, we need to be a little more savvy in coming up with strategies: In some games, that might mean keeping him on the bench.

While I like Lukaku and believe he was a good acquisition, I do see danger in those stats. The trends are mostly going the wrong way, and we have to fix that.

For fucks sake... I'll take a deep breath now.

He has 10 league goals, he's our leading scorer in the league, it's not like he's done fuck all in the league. There'll be league assists in there too. So he'll have contributed a hell of a lot to our season.

No ones saying he's had a stellar season, that would be a lie. He's underperformed, no doubt. But THE WHOLE team has underperformed.

His detractors seem to make it out like anyone who defends him is saying he's been brilliant when that's not the case at all. The point I, and others, are making is that he's had a poor season but he's still contributed to the team. He's made a difference.

His EL goal tally gets brushed under the carpet but without those goals we'd have gone out much earlier and our season would look even worse. We as fans wanted to win that competition, it was important to us, but now all of a sudden we want to say those goals are unimportant, they skew his figures? Bull-fucking-shit. Those goals matter.

I give up. I cannot be arsed anymore. I don't know how you keep on with this for so long, Matt. Hats off to you.

You summed it up perfectly in the last top post; he's ours, he will improve and because without him, were fucked.

Last season he was responsible for 40% of our goals (scored or assists) in all competitions. This season, 29 goals from the total 70, came from him =41% All that in a team without any real creativity, who underperformed (himself included) but still has been responsible for dragging the team through.

It's embarrassing that this even comes up, time after time, least of all when he scored and assisted in the last game to get 3 points.

Amen thank you Romey. Europa goals were against top euro competition, the cup goals (2) I could see people moanin about, but not Europa. Those were top matches and opponents.

Love lukaku one of my favorites, I can't wait for next year!!

I'm a supporter of Lukaku as well. Right now, I want him to stay at Everton throughout his productive years. But...I'm worried about those stats. Goals per game are declining, and goals in the Prem are significantly declining. As I mentioned earlier, maybe his record in the Europa was because he's an unknown quantity to opponents outside England. Or maybe it's because he's better suited to playing against a different style of football. The focus has to be on getting better numbers in the Premier League. Would you not agree?

Edited by Cornish Steve

I'm a supporter of Lukaku as well. Right now, I want him to stay at Everton throughout his productive years. But...I'm worried about those stats. Goals per game are declining, and goals in the Prem are significantly declining. As I mentioned earlier, maybe his record in the Europa was because he's an unknown quantity to opponents outside England. Or maybe it's because he's better suited to playing against a different style of football. The focus has to be on getting better numbers in the Premier League. Would you not agree?

steve we played well in europe and gave him great service and he scored more. that's all it is. the style of play is more open and less physical which suits us well. he honestly looked the best i've ever seen him in those matches, he stepped it up a notch for the euro nights. he's a very known quantity Wolfsburg wanted to sign him, Young Boys aren't stupid and Kyiv shut him down because they in fact knew what a threat he was.

the numbers are the numbers in the premier league. the striker isn't the sole person responsible for goals steve. others need to help out and take the pressure off him which will then give him more space to attack. it's cyclical. last season baines was scoring, mirallas, coleman, and therefore lukaku was more because there was room, other teams had many threats to take care of. this year it's naisy mirallas and that's it. no barkley for the odd goal, teams knock lukaku out and it's a win. that's not his fault, it's a team game.

http://www.espnfc.us/club/everton/368/blog/post/2454911/romelu-lukaku-hits-20-goals-in-everton-win-vs-west-ham

Edited by markjazzbassist

Play to his strengths. Through balls down the middle for him to run onto, he will score plenty. Probably why Roberto is talking about a playmaker.

You don't buy a Ferrari, fill it with diesel, and then wonder why the engine does run.

I'm excited to see him play with a playmaker, and Ross in the middle too with less pressure to make things happen. A motivated Mirallas and another winger. We could see a lot of goals.

Play to his strengths. Through balls down the middle for him to run onto, he will score plenty. Probably why Roberto is talking about a playmaker.

You don't buy a Ferrari, fill it with diesel, and then wonder why the engine does run.

I'm excited to see him play with a playmaker, and Ross in the middle too with less pressure to make things happen. A motivated Mirallas and another winger. We could see a lot of goals.

Its as if I've stumbled upon either a distant echo or a time machine :lol:

Like with Andy Johnson.