IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Just to clear this up. I have no problem with the lad wanting to better himself or move on to better things one day but shut the fuck up about it it's not something he needs to say.

Comments like I have a 4 year deal but in football who knows, I want to play cl football , I want to play at the highest level etc etc no matter what else was said with then are not the brightest thing to say to a journo.

He's trying to engineer a move, maybe not this season but certainly the one after. His "everton are this and that and I'm young" are just him covering his bases.

One minute he is 22 and it's time to win trophies, the next he is only young with plenty of time.

Just shut up and play football.

??

And? You implied he can't step up in the big games but he's shown he can.

and he implies he can't play anywhere but central,,, but the one stand out game he had in that run in was where he scored..... basically slating martinez for playing him there, but yeah where was he against palace and southampton? making those runs no one picks up? nope i seem to recall him running it out of play and shinning it all over the show.

McGeady didn't play?

What the fuck has mcgeady got to do with the lukaku thread? If you asked me a question such as "name a player who cost £25m less than Rom" then maybe mcgeady would get a mention.

Other than that I dint see the relevance.

What the fuck has mcgeady got to do with the lukaku thread? If you asked me a question such as "name a player who cost £25m less than Rom" then maybe mcgeady would get a mention.

Other than that I dint see the relevance.

Wow. It was a joke. I quoted you and made a funny...

Which was funny.

and he implies he can't play anywhere but central,,, but the one stand out game he had in that run in was where he scored..... basically slating martinez for playing him there, but yeah where was he against palace and southampton? making those runs no one picks up? nope i seem to recall him running it out of play and shinning it all over the show.

He didn't slate Martinez at all Haf. He's looked good out wide one game, that game, because it exploited the total shitness of Monreal as a defender. Other than that it hasn't looked like a good plan at all. Martinez, and us as fans, want him to be scoring goals yes? He's got a much better chance of doing that playing up front and not on the right wing.

Where was Lukaku against Southampton and Palace? Where was everyone else too? Alcaraz and Coleman were busy scoring own goals, Howard was busy flapping, Barry and McCarthy were busy getting walked over, Barkley was doing an impression of Paul Daniels and disappearing, Naismith was probably running around a lot to no avail. It's not like Lukaku was alone in not turning up for those games so I don't see the need to single him out.

The thing I find bizarre is that I wasn't even totally on board with signing him, so I'm not needlessly defending him because I can't admit I was wrong or whatever. I thought it was too much money and that if we had that sort of money we should spread it around bringing in more numbers. But I can see the benefit of him and think the stick you beat him with at every opportunity is disproportionate to what actually is the case.

Hafs gripe is understandable to a point. He certainly is overrated and I think what's more annoying is he gets let off if he scores a couple of goals. People forget the previous 7 games when he's done absolutely nothing. The price tag is ridiculous because we bought the name and potential rather than a player actually worth £28m. Players that go for that type of money are usually in their mid 20s or really really good all round players. For a club of our financial status to splash out £28m on potential is baffling.... But it did give me the sense we had turned a corner and we were looking to push on.

Hafs gripe is understandable to a point. He certainly is overrated and I think what's more annoying is he gets let off if he scores a couple of goals. People forget the previous 7 games when he's done absolutely nothing. The price tag is ridiculous because we bought the name and potential rather than a player actually worth £28m. Players that go for that type of money are usually in their mid 20s or really really good all round players. For a club of our financial status to splash out £28m on potential is baffling.... But it did give me the sense we had turned a corner and we were looking to push on.

Apart from the fact that his longest dry spell was 6 games during arguably the worst period of the whole team, we didn't and won't pay 28m. I don't know why people don't let this go. If you all insist on this potential fee, look at this way; 5m each year over 5 years, 3m is prize related.

If we sell him after 3 years, we'll have spent around 18-20m max, meaning 6-7.5m a year for a double digit striker who will only get better.

Oh, and the price tag is still fucking irrelevant to the player.

Edited by Matt

fact is if we didn't have rom we'd be playing in the championship. so for all the bitching and complaining a whole lot of you do, send him a thank you note why don't ya. i'd love to see him sold and us bottom table with the whole lot of you shitting yourselves with naisy and kone trying to hold the line. you'd be begging for rom back in an instant.

i thought he should have won player of the year.

fact is if we didn't have rom we'd be playing in the championship. so for all the bitching and complaining a whole lot of you do, send him a thank you note why don't ya. i'd love to see him sold and us bottom table with the whole lot of you shitting yourselves with naisy and kone trying to hold the line. you'd be begging for rom back in an instant.

Wasn't even top 3 for me, he had a very average season largely due to being mismanaged and the team being shite for 2 thirds of the season. Maybe 3rd in the YPOTY behind Stones and McCarthy.

Wasn't even top 3 for me, he had a very average season largely due to being mismanaged and the team being shite for 2 thirds of the season. Maybe 3rd in the YPOTY behind Stones and McCarthy.

I'll go along with Matt, probably add Besic to those two.

I know Besic is is unlikely to be many peoples choice, but he only played half the games and won double the amount of motm awards than anybody else.

and that proves even more how valuable he is to us. shit season and he scores 20 goals, then a good season is what 25-30? i'm looking forward to it :)

See how good a poster you can be when you want to be.

10 league goals doesn't save you from relegation, coming from your main striker it's usually a key sign you will get relegated.

I'll be honest, if you want to identify a player that stopped us getting relegated it was Lennon. However I will argue that Jags and McCarthy were equally as vital.

Agreeing with me aside, you pretty much cover the main points.

I do think that lukaku has a name bigger than his ability.

10 league goals doesn't save you from relegation, coming from your main striker it's usually a key sign you will get relegated.

I'll be honest, if you want to identify a player that stopped us getting relegated it was Lennon. However I will argue that Jags and McCarthy were equally as vital.

I said all along that we were never in danger of relegation; certainly teams over the years dubbed as "too good to go down" have succumbed but we were always really too good to go down. It was never a threat for me, never contemplated it (though I did feel some sympathy for the fear younger/newer fans for who had never lived though a real relegation fight).

I notice you conveniently ignored MikeO post to you in this thread :lol:

Think it was in the Barkley thread actually (though about Lukaku). It's not in Mr Contradiction's nature to respond when his unequivocal contradictions are presented to him, he just ignores it and hopes nobody notices. He's quite happy to respond to my posts on other subjects though (eg Distin/Martinez situation when he thought he had a point so smugly called me out) so he only actually ignores me when it suits him.

Today I've admitted to making a mistake in a post, I do it quite often because I quite often get things wrong. It's not hard, the ability to laugh at yourself is actually a very positive character trait imo. But some people will never get that.

Him and Distin were hopeless, and Tim behind them was even worse. We conceded goals galore, I can't remember Lukaku missing lots of chances. So I'd argue the opposite.

Think it was in the Barkley thread actually (though about Lukaku). It's not in Mr Contradiction's nature to respond when his unequivocal contradictions are presented to him, he just ignores it and hopes nobody notices. He's quite happy to respond to my posts on other subjects though (eg Distin/Martinez situation when he thought he had a point so smugly called me out) so he only actually ignores me when it suits him.

Today I've admitted to making a mistake in a post, I do it quite often because I quite often get things wrong. It's not hard, the ability to laugh at yourself is actually a very positive character trait imo. But some people will never get that.

Put the handbag away Mike it's only the internet. There's a big wide world out there you know.

Put the handbag away Mike it's only the internet. There's a big wide world out there you know.

I thought you ignored my posts. Contradiction?

Never mind; maybe I'm giving you food for thought (doubtful admittedly).

You're suggesting people should be a different online than you are in real life? Apologies but I'm just me wherever and however you meet me.

Just contemplate a little humility, be it cyber or real life, works wonders. I've been in the big wide world much longer than you have so believe me. You'll be far more successful in every aspect of your life if you take yourself a bit less seriously.

It probably was, I've thought Johnny Evans was 22, spelt Tom Cleverleys name wrong and thought my kids went back to school on Monday when they went back Tuesday already this week.

I'm wrong about anything and everything according to my wife. You get used to it eventually.