IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I think this thread is 50/50 to be honest.

He gets just as much praise as he does criticism.

There a few that defend him vehemently.

And there are also a few that are overly harsh on him. All have valid points and it's an interesting thread to read.

Lukaku would do well to read this himself, he could improve many aspects of his game and character.

He is a 22 year old kid at the end of the day and that's what is evident when he opens his mouth.

One thing I can be certain of....he will improve his character and his game....he will..simple.

Put Kone back alongside him and see what happens.

For me personally, it is mostly the context in which he is praised, when our manager is the one actually getting ripped to shreds across all types of media in real time week in week out.

The manager who brought him in and sets the team up for him to score 25, he wouldn't have got anywhere near that under our previous set up.

That same manager is therefore responsible for all the goals we're shipping too, right?

That same manager is therefore responsible for all the goals we're shipping too, right?

100% when the centre backs are deep in the opposition half when we're two nil up and get caught on the counter, not so much when Coleman trips up over his own feet and fails to clear the ball in one of the simplest ways a defender can.

That's why I said it was the CONTEXT of Rom's seeming ability to be able walk on water that I found out of whack.

I have on many occasions alluded to the fact that Rom may be a bit of a flat track bully... yesterday I seen an interesting stat:-

In 21 PL appearances for #EFC against #MUFC, #MCFC, #AFC & #CFC, Romelu Lukaku has scored just 3 times. He must improve in the big games.

— School of Science (@SOS1878) April 2, 2016

Apply the same to Everton against those teams. It's bigger than just him.

Apply the same to Everton against those teams. It's bigger than just him.

In those relevant fixtures the team scored 27 goals - he got 3 of them.

Now we could say he was the reason we got those goals etc etc - but in the same token isn't the "agreed attribute" that he scores goals. For me I do think he goes missing in a lot of big games and this stat certainly supports that view.

A bit concerning that many fans had picked up that he was hugging united players and their staff then went down the tunnel and didn't acknowledge the away support - what's that all about?

Edited by Hafnia

Done with this thread. It's like arguing with flat earth people.

who are the flat earth people mark? the people who think we would be relegated without Lukakus goals???

Incidentally someone has looked into this and this season in the league bar 6 games Lukakus goals would not have changed the result.

Lukakus goals that were crucial to the "result of a draw or win" have us as an 8 point advantage vs where we would be if he didn't play assuming his replacement never scored in these games....

28/9/15 WBA (a) 3-2 [2 goals]

4/10/15 Liverpool (h) 1-1 [1goal]

7/11/15 West Ham (a) 1-1 [1 goal]

28/11/15 Bournemouth (a) 3-3 [1goal]

7/15/15 Palace (h) 1-1 [1 goal]

12/12/15 Norwich (a) 1-1 [1 goal]

The Earth isn't flat :huh:?

It's pretty fucking flat in Norfolk.

It certainly is a funny thread.......Some people think Lukaku has done pretty well in an underachieving team and is full of promise.....whilst others think he hasn't really done that well and is flawed as a striker ie can't control a ball and doesn't do enough !

Oh well, guess his price tag of £55/60million says something.........whilst offers in the region of £25/30million might tell us otherwise.

Next season will be a massive one in the history of Everton FC.

Still puzzles me why someone would actively go to such extent to try and make an important player look like shit. Arguably the best player this club has seen since Rooney. One would think, just enjoy the moment before he's gone instead of depriving yourself of the joy.

Still puzzles me why someone would actively go to such extent to try and make an important player look like shit. Arguably the best player this club has seen since Rooney. One would think, just enjoy the moment before he's gone instead of depriving yourself of the joy.

Who is trying to make him look like "shit". He isn't shit, far from it. The problem is he is afforded far too many excuses. Example - can't call him lazy.... well I fuckin beg to differ on that one.

"We can't replace him" - i disagree. He is replaceable.

"He's going to get better" - there's no guarantee about that. Many strikers do their best seasons before 23 24 years old.

Who is trying to make him look like "shit". He isn't shit, far from it. The problem is he is afforded far too many excuses. Example - can't call him lazy.... well I fuckin beg to differ on that one.

"We can't replace him" - i disagree. He is replaceable.

"He's going to get better" - there's no guarantee about that. Many strikers do their best seasons before 23 24 years old.

My mom used to say: could you please say 3 nice things about him now :P

(and yeah no, I do think Lukaku is replaceable, but only if the club are willing to spend that kind of money again. Otherwise they'd just have to be really super lucky or inject their players with hormones and epo like Leicester oh nooooo he didn't! )

Edited by Mirallas

My mom used to say: could you please say 3 nice things about him now :P

(and yeah no, I do think Lukaku is replaceable, but only if the club are willing to spend that kind of money again. Otherwise they'd just have to be really super lucky or inject their players with hormones and epo like Leicester oh nooooo he didn't! )

In our place of work we call it "sandwiching" - throw in the feedback in the middle of two compliments

"you look very buff today Rom"

"You have the touch of an elephant"

"are those prescription glasses, you look really intelligent in them"

EPO in football eh...... wouldn't surprise me.

In our place of work we call it "sandwiching" - throw in the feedback in the middle of two compliments

"you look very buff today Rom"

"You have the touch of an elephant"

"are those prescription glasses, you look really intelligent in them"

EPO in football eh...... wouldn't surprise me.

Not unfamiliar with the technique (i studied HR), but the premise is that at least the middle bit ought to be legitimate :P it would have been legitimate 2 seasons ago, but now his touch is superb! (he grows) To the extent that he's now a playmaker. I've seen him do crazy stuff at EFC this season. From the top of my mind, I cannot think of many other strikers who playmake at the same time to some degree. Neymar does that, Suarez too... Müller... Rooney... Messi.... But you see, then we're already talking about an exclusive category of strikers, and that's exactly what Romelu's ambition is. I don't want to sound grotesque by naming those strikers, I just want to illustrate the level of completeness.

So on-topic, actually I find him very complete now. Even in games where he doesn't touch the ball a whole lot (which happens not too often anymore) i find it hard to find something for Romelu to do to increase that... what should he do, switch a bit with Barkley or run all the way to the defense? i don't know, mate. He presses the defense when not in posession, he's great with assists and passes nowadays, he does his usual goalscoring, maybe he can improve a little bit in his positioning when not in posession, but defenders will always guard him won't they.

I think there's a good chance he'll still be an EFC player next season.

He will probably have a very poor EC because Belgium do not play to his strength (rightfully so if you have De Bruyne (and Hazard and Carrasco and Mertens)) .. much like he performed poorly in Brazil 2014.

this would mean PSG is out, because they can't make him their top signing after performing horribly in France. they wouldn't be able to sell him to their fans (who don't watch the EPL)

I think for the same reason Juve won't want him anymore after he plays badly against Italy in the group stages.

ManU won't sign him anyway because Mourinho will be manager next season..

He's still under contract and would only be allowed to leave if a monster bid came it, which won't happen after being subbed at halftime in Belgium's first game and not being used again as Belgium fail to progress to the knock-out stage of the tournament after drawing the first three matches.

He will probably have a very poor EC because Belgium do not play to his strength (rightfully so if you have De Bruyne (and Hazard and Carrasco and Mertens)) .. much like he performed poorly in Brazil 2014.

this would mean PSG is out, because they can't make him their top signing after performing horribly in France. they wouldn't be able to sell him to their fans (who don't watch the EPL)

I think for the same reason Juve won't want him anymore after he plays badly against Italy in the group stages.

He's still under contract and would only be allowed to leave if a monster bid came it, which won't happen after being subbed at halftime in Belgium's first game and not being used again as Belgium fail to progress to the knock-out stage of the tournament after drawing the first three matches.

Can I have tomorrow's lottery numbers? :P

Mirralas..

Superb touch...complete....

Your trying to get Haf to bite again aren't you haha.

He has improved...his touch is about 60_40 now. His passing has improved the most.

His shooting is and always has been excellent.

He challenges much more in the air now, doesn't win a lot but getting better.

We need to keep him Haf. If he improves next year as much as he has this year, then we may have a world class player up top.

His attitude is just that of a 22 year old. He will learn with time...we all do

Pretty much says it all !

Best since Rooney, I wonder who actually is the best player to pull on a Blue shirt since he left.Our three young lads have the 'potential', but thay are not there yet.

i think he might, though it's a bit might, be convinced to stay until the January window. It's a good compromise for both sides.

Pretty much says it all !

Best since Rooney, I wonder who actually is the best player to pull on a Blue shirt since he left.Our three young lads have the 'potential', but thay are not there yet.

Then why didn't he win any of the 3 player of the year categories in his previous 2 full seasons?

Arteta, Pienaar, Baines, Lescott all "better players"

Unless something changes and he decides to play the way he has or can on a few occasions then Barry will get player of the year - I honestly think we would have been in big trouble without him. Rom will get young player this year and goal of the season.

Edited by Hafnia

Then why didn't he win any of the 3 player of the year categories in his previous 2 full seasons?

Arteta, Pienaar, Baines, Lescott all "better players"

Unless something changes and he decides to play the way he has or can on a few occasions then Barry will get player of the year - I honestly think we would have been in big trouble without him. Rom will get young player this year and goal of the season.

I think there is a very good chance that he will sweep the board with the awards this season