IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I don't really understand the lukewarm sentiment towards Lukaku. He's the second-highest scorer this club has had in the last 18 years despite the fact that he's only played 28 league games for Everton this season. And he's only 20 years old. As he exists now he's as good of a striker as Everton have had in a long time, and I don't see why he's not going to significantly improve as he gets older. Who are superior strikers both for now and the future, that Everton have a realistic shot at?

I don't really understand the lukewarm sentiment towards Lukaku. He's the second-highest scorer this club has had in the last 18 years despite the fact that he's only played 28 league games for Everton this season. And he's only 20 years old. As he exists now he's as good of a striker as Everton have had in a long time, and I don't see why he's not going to significantly improve as he gets older. Who are superior strikers both for now and the future, that Everton have a realistic shot at?

bingo.

Guest rusty747

He is good running at goal but he just cant accept a pass with his back to goal and I haven't seen that aspect of his game improve. If anything its worse.

Totally agree - its madness.

Moreover, we don't have the money for a superstar complete striker. We have buy someone with potential - Lukaku has a lot of potential!

Maybe we need to find a way to play to his strengths rather than use him as a target man with back to goal.

Moreover, we don't have the money for a superstar complete striker. We have buy someone with potential - Lukaku has a lot of potential!

Maybe we need to find a way to play to his strengths rather than use him as a target man with back to goal.

:worship[1]:

Tbf, I remember Lukaku saying it was a deliberate move by Martinez and Lukaku himself so that he could improve his all round game.

Dont remember hearing that, but makes sense. Personally I wouldve preferred to keep playing to his strengths. Either way, 14 goals in 28 games is bloody brilliant, especially if hes not playing his natural style!

No way is he any where near as good as what people are making out - sorry its absolute nonsense.

He's in the same ball park as Fellaini was last year 14 vs 11 prem goals. Saha 13 in 2010.... to justify a £20m outlay based on a marginal improvement in a team that is far more suited to a striker than a moyes side is not tangible.

I expect far more from a striker than what he gives, his pass completion is around 60% - 4 out of 10 times he gives the ball away... Bony 74%, Giroud 70%, Suarez 75%. Just not good enough. The number of times he miscontrols a pass has me in bits, if he was anichebe fans would go mental.

No way is he any where near as good as what people are making out - sorry its absolute nonsense.

He's in the same ball park as Fellaini was last year 14 vs 11 prem goals. Saha 13 in 2010.... to justify a £20m outlay based on a marginal improvement in a team that is far more suited to a striker than a moyes side is not tangible.

I expect far more from a striker than what he gives, his pass completion is around 60% - 4 out of 10 times he gives the ball away... Bony 74%, Giroud 70%, Suarez 75%. Just not good enough. The number of times he miscontrols a pass has me in bits, if he was anichebe fans would go mental.

if Vic had been a 1 in 2 striker they wouldnt....

if Vic had been a 1 in 2 striker they wouldnt....

If that is all that matters then I will say statistically Naismith is the better goalscorer based on starts... 10 in 16 starts versus Lukaku 15 in 30 starts.

For me this whole 1 in 2 ratio is a flawed stat when you are looking at teams finishing in the top 10 most have a goalscorer of that return. Given the fact that he is a lone striker I do expect a return of that ratio or better.

If that is all that matters then I will say statistically Naismith is the better goalscorer based on starts... 10 in 16 starts versus Lukaku 15 in 30 starts.

For me this whole 1 in 2 ratio is a flawed stat when you are looking at teams finishing in the top 10 most have a goalscorer of that return. Given the fact that he is a lone striker I do expect a return of that ratio or better.

and I would be happy to have Naismith starting up front as our striker, I think he earned his place when Rom was injured around New Years.

Agree but still, how much do would these cost for the same results:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

Also interesting, Rom has scored twice as many as any of our other players, despite trying to develop his game further (if Marks statement is correct):

Lukaku - 15
Naismith - 9
Mirallas - 8
Im really nervous as to where those 15 extra goals are going to come from. I think the question is, do you want an immediate impact player whos more refined, but older and will have less sell on value (Remy or Bony for example, though Bony will disappear for a while with the ACON), or do you want to invest in an extremely promising prospect whos scoring goals already and can only improve?

Isn't that a bit like spending £80k on a range rover after being told that it can't go offroad? Lukaku has to play with his back to goal if opponents defend deep, just as Southampton, Palace and other teams where he looked like a fish out of water did.

Linking up play is not part of being a target man, its part of being a striker playing the lone role. As i've stated earlier, I have seen 5ft 10 strikers do this far more effectively than Lukaku - Rooney, Suarez, Aguero, Podolski, Bony, Remi - with his size he has no excuse.

I would accept him at half the price quoted but sorry, £20m is far too much of a gamble for me.

Guest rusty747

Totally agree Haf. For me Bony is the man to go for. If we can get Remy as well then happy days. If not then Nais can play off Bony.

Isn't that a bit like spending £80k on a range rover after being told that it can't go offroad? Lukaku has to play with his back to goal if opponents defend deep, just as Southampton, Palace and other teams where he looked like a fish out of water did.

Linking up play is not part of being a target man, its part of being a striker playing the lone role. As i've stated earlier, I have seen 5ft 10 strikers do this far more effectively than Lukaku - Rooney, Suarez, Aguero, Podolski, Bony, Remi - with his size he has no excuse.

I would accept him at half the price quoted but sorry, £20m is far too much of a gamble for me.

Completely agree, think Ive been consistent in saying 13-15m plus some add ons since we paid 5m for his loan spell.

Wont bother arguing the rest, we've gone round this dancefloor regarding age, experience etc. :)

I'm torn on him, only because of his "value".

He's a big name, who knows where the goal is. It's the rest of his game that is lacking for me. Being 20 years of age he still has potential to fill.

I think we should sign him! But he needs decent competition and with that you're looking at an additional £8-10m.

Upfront needs sorting. No point having one decent striker. If we want champions league football and constant top 4 finishes we need goal scorers with at least a 1:2 record.

Edited by MiguelCotto

My biggest cautionary reason for this is "KENWYNNE JONES" - for some reason in his early 20's every side wanted to sign him because physically he was awesome, he was also compared to Drogba.... what happened? His touch and technique not improving is what happened. Liverpool were linked in a £12m deal for him... oh well.

Guest rusty747

And give him the ball with his back to goal and 8/10 it bounces off him straight to the opposition or out of play. I like the guy and he can finish but 20 mill is way too high.

And give him the ball with his back to goal and 8/10 it bounces off him straight to the opposition or out of play. I like the guy and he can finish but 20 mill is way too high.

Yeh, his back to goal is the problem. But that can be worked on. The £20m is based on pure potential. There is clubs willing to part with that type of money for potential alone. Everton on the other hand have to be very careful.

The situation is this... If we have £20m to spend on a striker then the ball is in our court. Plenty of top class strikers available for that!

Haf I think you're right in some aspects but you're also under rating the lad at the same time. He's a decent goalscorer. He just needs competition and the "right" service.

Give him a clear cut chance 8/10 he'll take it!

8/10 chances I agree with but if thats what we want then get someone like Chicharito for less money. The rest of the money is in "hope" that he somehow manages to get Berbatovs touch and control - just aint happening.

There was a short discussion about the price we paid for Stones. You have to pay what the player is worth now rather than potential. If that was the case with Stones then we would have paid much higher. 20M for Lukaku is inflated due to the potential. Up to 15M with adds on works. Anything above that and Chelsea get an early christmas present.

I think people are underating him although I do see where they are coming from

Thing is its not just his goals that we will miss , he also has 6 assists to his name ( second only to Mirallas with 8 ) and his mere presence attracts defenders attention and leaves space for others. There is nobody else on our books that can bring that to the table

I think Chelsea will easily get £20 mill plus for Lukaku. Allegedly Athletico,Roma,Dortmund are after him who can all offer Champs league and im sure Arsenal and Spurs in the Prem would be after him aswell who can offer him more money. I was 50/50 about him a few months ago but now I think there are big holes in his game. I appreciate he is only young but the basics are the basics and his control and poor link up play to bring players in from midfield are the factors why I wouldn't spend all our dough on him. Remy for £12 mill and the kid from liege for £6.5? I know what id have

Totally agree Haf. For me Bony is the man to go for.

69293d206d09232b86b38a916141ab92e7a0715a

He is good running at goal but he just cant accept a pass with his back to goal and I haven't seen that aspect of his game improve. If anything its worse.

I have seen it improve a lot this season, definitely compared to previous seasons in England.

Edited by Mirallas

Fellaini was 25. Saha was 31. Bony is 25. Giroud is 28. Suarez is 27.

Lukaku is 20 years old. Do you see the difference?

I also think £20m is too much for potential. But this lad already has a good record, he is probably worth £20m with his current scoring rate.

If he didn't have a problem with his game, like poor touch and no good back to goal, he would never have been here in the first place. He would be starting at Chelsea and would be touted at about £40m.

For £20m you get a striker with an already impressive record, who fits in well with our team, likes the manager, seems to like the club and the city, and minimum risk, as well as 15 years ahead off him.

For the same money you could get all that with Remy or Bony, but they carry the risk of not fitting in, and only maybe 7 years ahead of them.

In terms of value, it's only Rom who fits for me. If we risk £20m we need the possibility of getting it back if we need to, we wouldn't get that for Remy or Bony going into their 30's.

I hope some of that makes sense.

Guest Nikica

8/10 chances I agree with but if thats what we want then get someone like Chicharito for less money. The rest of the money is in "hope" that he somehow manages to get Berbatovs touch and control - just aint happening.

Sorry, you know I like you as a poster, but this is turning into an agenda. I can see what you're saying and you have some valid criticisms, but to turn round and advocate Hernandez as an alternative is just sheer bias against Lukaku. Hernandez has the all-round game of a pub player, he's an overrated tap in merchant and that's it. Casuals love him because they see him scoring goals on MOTD, but he has the touch of a rapist and couldn't pass a ball in a straight line if his fucking life depended on it.

Compared to a talentless joke like Hernandez, Lukaku is like a Spanish playmaker. Just sheer bias against the guy in my opinion.