IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Reports everywhere say there's a deal with Chelsea for 40M. Atletico would want Lukaku, though, and Courtois on loan again.

Why would Chelsea pay £40m when his agent Mendez has stated he has a release clause of £31.8m and then loan out another player for a third time that they can get in the region of £20m for and a keeper who's already regarded as one of the best in Europe whilst Cech's form is on the slide sounds like nonsense to me

I've not seen any of the above tbh the wide spread rumours are Chelsea have met his release clause nothing more

Edited by EFC-Paul

Why would Chelsea pay £40m when his agent has stated he has a release clause of £32m and then loan out another player for a third time that they can get in the region of £20m for and a keeper who's already regarded as one of the best in Europe whilst Cech's form is on the slide sounds like nonsense to me

I've not seen any of the above tbh the wide spread rumours are Chelsea have met his release clause nothing more

The 40m Kant mentions is in Euro's.

The 40m Kant mentions is in Euro's.

Ah didn't think about that tbh but still not the correct figure if we are being picky mate ;)

It's not the price as such that I was disputing more so the inclusion of lukaku and Courtois just sounds like made up nonsense

Edited by EFC-Paul

Ah didn't think about that tbh but still not the correct figure if we are being picky mate ;)

It's not the price as such that I was disputing more so the inclusion of lukaku and Courtois just sounds like made up nonsense

I could see them wanting Lukaku but I'm not sure if he's be willing to go there. And I could see Courtois going on loan there again. He's already said he doesn't want to be an understudy and if Chelsea want to keep him (which you'd think they would), but don't want to make him their number 1 yet, then another loan would suit them.

I could see them wanting Lukaku but I'm not sure if he's be willing to go there. And I could see Courtois going on loan there again. He's already said he doesn't want to be an understudy and if Chelsea want to keep him (which you'd think they would), but don't want to make him their number 1 yet, then another loan would suit them.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest when it comes to Chelsea and transfer/player dealings but they would be mad to pay a release clause which should render any need for loaning players as part of the deal void and send two of footballs brightest young talents in the other direction when both are more than capable of starting in their side now....

I'd have Cech out for Courtois in a flash since his head injury Cech has rapidly declined in my eyes and Courtois is an immense talent but as said they have to be the oddest club going when it comes to players

If he stays I'd be made up if he doesn't a part of me would be glad that we spread any potentially massive fee across the board on more than just the one player

Edited by EFC-Paul

Why do you think Lukaku wouldn't want to go to Atlético? Nice city, nice country, possibly domestic and European champions.

What reason would he not want to go? Unless of course they sell off all their stars, as they seem to do???

I just think he sees the PL as the best league in the world and that's where he wants to be because he believes he will be the best.

It's been very clear from the very start that he wants to go back to Chelsea "if they want him back"

All his interviews have said this. The game at Hull was a proper goodbye in my eyes. There will be plenty of "big" clubs sniffing.

If we pull of his permanent signature it will be a major coup and a sign of where this club is heading.

I have no doubts at all that it will be a structured deal and it won't be £20m upfront. Chelsea will sell! It's all on Romelu and I think it may come down to CL football.

Well, let's start by replying:

Why would Chelsea pay £40m when his agent Mendez has stated he has a release clause of £31.8m and then loan out another player for a third time that they can get in the region of £20m for and a keeper who's already regarded as one of the best in Europe whilst Cech's form is on the slide sounds like nonsense to me

1) As EFC-Paul said, that was Euros. To be picky, it's €39M. When Diego Costa renewed his contract he agreed with Atletico a release clause. Atletico Madrid do this so they can sell players for a good amount without driving the fans mad. They did it with Torres, Aguero, Falcao, etc. It's actually good for all the parties involved: Atletico gets a lot of money, the player must perform to be worth that amount and the fans don't get mad when a foreign club pays the release clause fee. However, the fans would never accept a sale for less than the release clause fee, since Atlético Madrid is the third biggest club in Spain and they must try to challenge for the title.

2) Sources (all of them in Spanish): Here, here, here, here. They even quote Sky and The telegraph as well. Sometimes I read English newspapers but as it was quite widespread I thought it would be public in England as well, but the truth is Atletico play this Saturday the final game against Barcelona at 17h (18h local Spanish time) and then the Champions League final, so it'll never be announced before the end of the Champions League.

3) Atletico need a replacement for Costa, Mourinho doesn't rate Lukaku and Atletico fancy him. Plus, Courtois and Mourinho do not speak to each other (like little kids...). Atletico would like at least a loan of both included as part of the agreement, Mourinho would like to offload Lukaku permanently, and it seems they are negotiating.

I have no doubts if Lukaku wants to stay in Liverpool, he will, but I doubt that will be the case without Champions League football to offer.

The Indy reports that Chelsea want to offer Lukaku a new contrast - with a loan option included. Apparently, they feel if they loan him back to us for another good season it would inflate his value further and a loan would suit us and allow us to spread our transfer spend around the team, including a move for Loic Remy.

Also says that Gareth Barry is considering a move to the MLS and Arsenal are interested, and suggests that RM has definite interest in bringing Rodwell back from Man City.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chelsea-offer-romelu-lukaku-a-new-deal--with-loan-option-attached-9373109.html

The Indy reports that Chelsea want to offer Lukaku a new contrast - with a loan option included. Apparently, they feel if they loan him back to us for another good season it would inflate his value further and a loan would suit us and allow us to spread our transfer spend around the team, including a move for Loic Remy.

Also says that Gareth Barry is considering a move to the MLS and Arsenal are interested, and suggests that RM has definite interest in bringing Rodwell back from Man City.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/chelsea-offer-romelu-lukaku-a-new-deal--with-loan-option-attached-9373109.html

Hopefully he wants to bring Rodwell back as a ball playing defender and someone else as a holding midfielder.

loaning him again and getting Remy would be a great compromise!

Guest blueboy122

Would hopefully mean we wouldn't get Traore on loan as well.

Agreed although Traore could play in Europe for us and offer us a different dynamic.

He might look like a player once he's fully upto speed.

Guest Nikica

Have skimmed the last few pages - some good debate going on between you all.

I can see both sides, as I said before. But it's also true that Lukaku is nowhere near mentally developed. He's still a boy in a man's body.

We'd score plenty... But also concede a hell of a lot I reckon. Not sure I'd last the season without having a heart attack!

It would be a more defensive line-up, wouldn't it? I know people are going to keep suggesting three at the back formations as Martinez used it at Wigan, but he has no reason to do it here as we had an excellent defensive record. No reason to introduce another defender.

It would be a more defensive line-up, wouldn't it? I know people are going to keep suggesting three at the back formations as Martinez used it at Wigan, but he has no reason to do it here as we had an excellent defensive record. No reason to introduce another defender.

It didn't seem very defensive the few times we've used it. It's looked all over the place and a worry.

It didn't seem very defensive the few times we've used it. It's looked all over the place and a worry.

In theory it is though. It might not have worked out the way it's supposed to, but it's meant to be more solid defensively.

Edited by Steve_E

Practice, not theory, is what matters though isn't it?

I was assuming that if we were to actually consistently play 3 (or really 5) at the back, the players would gradually get a better grasp of it. Thus, becoming a more solid unit defensively.

I was assuming that if we were to actually consistently play 3 (or really 5) at the back, the players would gradually get a better grasp of it. Thus, becoming a more solid unit defensively.

That would be the hope but in the mean time my heart would take a battering! It's taken enough of that the past 2 seasons and that's when our defence has been playing in a familiar way!

even when we set out 451 we played a 352 with Barry playing between the 2 CB. Playing a dedicated 352 just gives more attacking influence