IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

I think Martinez was playing him with his back to goal at the request of Chelsea, who wanted him to gain experience of playing that way. Read something to that effect a couple of times, anyway.

I've picked this comment out...as the biggest load of bollocks I have read since cotto's last load of bollocks.

Everything else...well, it's all been said and debated before. I'll just wait and see.

Edited...because of bast are auto correct text what ever!

Edited by Newty82

I've picked this comment out...as the biggest load of bollocks I have read since cotto's last load of bollocks.

Everything else...well, it's all been said and debated before. I'll just wait and see.

Edited...because of bast are auto correct text what ever!

Hahahaha GTFOH

Do u ever shut up. You go on about being a family man with a mortgage and car to pay for yada yada yada, then come on here acting like a complete bellwiff :)

Sorry I just can't get my head around how anybody could think he has reached his potential or even come close to it a week after his 21st birthday

I know I'm showing my age now but I think back to Graham Sharp at the same age and he didn't look like he had half the potential Lukaku does and he didn't turn out too badly

As Sharpie got older he got wiser and he learnt how to look after himself and started to bully defenders. His positional play got better and his reading of the game got better

Leon Osman, Seamus Coleman.

Even so, he's a lot better than they are now and can only improve.

Every footballer improves mentally over time, have to agree with you that its daft people are disagreeing!

Edited by AidanLewis

just curious, but how much are people willing to spend on the 30% of our goals (including assists) this season that Lukaku achieved?

I guess its more of a case of whether we can get anyone else to contribute that much but for less money.

Guest blueboy122

Like Kone? Who you've repeatedly defended?

Kone doesn't have shite control quite the opposite. That's why he was so good for Wigan because he could control and a hold ball and builds attacks from him.

That would be a tremendous retort.... If it was true. Kone has the touch and technical ability I expect to see from a professional footballer.

Next....

He also has 9 years of experience in which hes learnt how to control his body, touch etc. Well, not 9 years because hes injured half the time but still much more experience....

You can't have seen much of kone then.

I've seen enough of him to know that he can hold up the ball and use his strength effectively, he doesn't shin passes that he is meant to bring down. He cost a supposed "extortionate" £6m while many are waxing lyrical about a player who scored a few more goals than our previous strikers but we would be soft not to buy him for £20m... Just don't see the valkue myself, but I guess you all know this.

The main thing I remember about Kone in an Everton shirt was him hitting the post when it was easier to score. That's about it.

I'm not writing him off because I think he'll do ok. But better than Lukaku?...nah

I actually thought that was great effort if i'm honest, he picked his spot and unfortunately got too snug. Watch any top stiker and they aim for the furthest point from the keeper. That was why I loved Yak so much, its also why I admired Fowler as a player.

Not putting him in that bracket but you know what I mean.

I really do need to emphasise - after a certain age, players do not improve things such as control by much. From a touch and co-ordination perspective the player you see at 14-16 is the player they are going to be.

From my own point of view my ball control reached its peak at 15 and didnt improve much at all after that despite my brother insisting I would kill a ball that was booted 30 feet into the air before second bounce repeatedly doing this drill, I did this from 8 years of age, I would have to chest a ball down

With his touch being the biggest issue, that is my concern with Lukaku - hence the price. Compare Lukaku's touch with that of Saha or Yak, there is no comparison. Big Dunc could bring it down, hold up play, lay it off the lot. This lad really does concern me in this regard.

Pros:- Pace, knows where the net is, strong when running at his man, physically intimidating to some defenders

Cons:- weak in the air, poor strength and balance when standing on the ball, many misplaced passes, poor touch

I think Kone will do well myself if I'm honest. But I don't think we'll go far wrong signing Lukaku. He has his limits but he's a goalscorer.

Dont get me wrong, if he came at the right price then great, but he seems to be held in some ridiculously high regard.

Its very strange the views that people have - some wax lyrical about Lukaku but fail to see how brilliant James McCarthy is.

Dont get me wrong, if he came at the right price then great, but he seems to be held in some ridiculously high regard.

Its very strange the views that people have - some wax lyrical about Lukaku but fail to see how brilliant James McCarthy is.

thats easy to do though. Lukaku scores goals, hes in the limelight. McCarthy is the quiet professional who gets on with things very well. Need to follow him specifically for a few games to truly appreciate his ability (which is immense). Honestly think McCarthy is the replacement for Carsley we've been looking for!

Edited by Matt

I actually thought that was great effort if i'm honest, he picked his spot and unfortunately got too snug. Watch any top stiker and they aim for the furthest point from the keeper. That was why I loved Yak so much, its also why I admired Fowler as a player.

Not putting him in that bracket but you know what I mean.

I really do need to emphasise - after a certain age, players do not improve things such as control by much. From a touch and co-ordination perspective the player you see at 14-16 is the player they are going to be.

From my own point of view my ball control reached its peak at 15 and didnt improve much at all after that despite my brother insisting I would kill a ball that was booted 30 feet into the air before second bounce repeatedly doing this drill, I did this from 8 years of age, I would have to chest a ball down

With his touch being the biggest issue, that is my concern with Lukaku - hence the price. Compare Lukaku's touch with that of Saha or Yak, there is no comparison. Big Dunc could bring it down, hold up play, lay it off the lot. This lad really does concern me in this regard.

Pros:- Pace, knows where the net is, strong when running at his man, physically intimidating to some defenders

Cons:- weak in the air, poor strength and balance when standing on the ball, many misplaced passes, poor touch

Lol if none of our academy players are improving their touch, control or co-ordination from the age of 16 then I think all of our youth coaches need to be sacked immediately!

Lol if none of our academy players are improving their touch, control or co-ordination from the age of 16 then I think all of our youth coaches need to be sacked immediately!

Improvement in technique is marginal from a young age onwards, development from the age of 15+ is physical, Tactical and mental.

I 100% agree with Wengers 4 stages of development:-

A-Technical years 5-12

B-Physical years 12-16

C-Tactical years 18-20

D Mental-from 20 years

Wenger basically says that the technical aspect of the game does not improve a massive deal from 12 onwards. He emphasised that technique was all important because football was not a natural sport due to the usage of the foot.

To your point, if we have players at the academy who at 16 can't control a football then I seriously question what they are doing there.

Improvement in technique is marginal from a young age onwards, development from the age of 15+ is physical, Tactical and mental.

I 100% agree with Wengers 4 stages of development:-

A-Technical years 5-12

B-Physical years 12-16

C-Tactical years 18-20

D Mental-from 20 years

Wenger basically says that the technical aspect of the game does not improve a massive deal from 12 onwards. He emphasised that technique was all important because football was not a natural sport due to the usage of the foot.

To your point, if we have players at the academy who at 16 can't control a football then I seriously question what they are doing there.

:huh: When did I make a point that we had 16 year olds at the club who cant control a football?

Mandzukic

Pirlo

Ronaldo

Totti

All improved their first touches MASSIVELY over the ages of 23/24...They showed glimpses of quality (like Deulofeu) but didn't have the touch they did in the latter stages of their career. They learnt how to control, cushion the ball. It CAN be taught. It CAN be practiced.

Mandzukic

Pirlo

Ronaldo

Totti

All improved their first touches MASSIVELY over the ages of 23/24...They showed glimpses of quality (like Deulofeu) but didn't have the touch they did in the latter stages of their career. They learnt how to control, cushion the ball. It CAN be taught. It CAN be practiced.

:worship[1]:

Guest blueboy122

Mandzukic

Pirlo

Ronaldo

Totti

There's not a chance those players listed had a touch as bad as Lukaku's. You might as well get a ball and blast it at a brick wall rather than pass to Lukaku.

It speaks volumes to me that Chelsea obviously don't want to keep him and they are crying out for a decent striker, if they believed he was going to be a great player in a few years they would keep loaning him out and wait for him to develop but they aren't they want rid and they have resources to buy players and wait years for results a lot like they have been doing with that keeper.

Don't get me wrong he does have good parts of his game but he is £10M striker no where near £20M.