IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Guest blueboy122

:worship[1]:

Comparing Lukaku's touch to those players touches at the same age is like comparing cat and dogs.

I am sure they have brushed up on a few things over time but I am afraid Lukaku will find it impossible to improve that much that'll he will be considered anywhere near as good as those players.

I find it very confusing that fans stick up for Lukaku and think he's worth the money rumoured when he doesn't have the very basic essential of a professional footballer.

Lukaku is a Ferrari without wheels.

Ferrari without wheels is useless would rather have a KA

Ferrari with wheels is a great car.

Lukaku without a touch is not useless but certainly not as good as he should be

Lukaku with a touch... Talking a real player.

They don't sell a professional footballers touch at kwik fit.

Haf eat your heart out analogy king.

Guest blueboy122

Just curious, but would be people pay 20m for Gerry given the chance?

Hmm good question.

Yes I suppose I would. With Gerry it's all there it's literally just a case of experience and game time which will give him that sharpness and decision making attribute.

Comparing Lukaku's touch to those players touches at the same age is like comparing cat and dogs.

I am sure they have brushed up on a few things over time but I am afraid Lukaku will find it impossible to improve that much that'll he will be considered anywhere near as good as those players.

I find it very confusing that fans stick up for Lukaku and think he's worth the money rumoured when he doesn't have the very basic essential of a professional footballer.

Ferrari without wheels is useless would rather have a KA

Ferrari with wheels is a great car.

Lukaku without a touch is not useless but certainly not as good as he should be

Lukaku with a touch... Talking a real player.

They don't sell a professional footballers touch at kwik fit.

Haf eat your heart out analogy king.

Im not saying he has a great touch, Im saying its nowhere near as bad as people make out. It needs to be improved upon for sure, but that comes with time. If he can finish well with 1 touch (which hes shown) he can learn how to control a ball better.

Consider the 20m buying the Ferrari but with dodgy wheels (better than no wheels in my head, makes it sound like he doesnt have feet :lol:). You buy it, and over the next 2-3 years you concentrate, invest and work on getting the wheels needed to fulfill the potential. 2 possibilities 1 - You end up with a 30m Ferrari that shits on the opposition. 2- You sell on your project, maybe taking a loss. Based on performances with shite wheels and still performing well, Id better on the 1st scenario

Nice analogy by the way :)

Guest blueboy122

Im not saying he has a great touch, Im saying its nowhere near as bad as people make out. It needs to be improved upon for sure, but that comes with time. If he can finish well with 1 touch (which hes shown) he can learn how to control a ball better.

Consider the 20m buying the Ferrari but with dodgy wheels (better than no wheels in my head, makes it sound like he doesnt have feet :lol:). You buy it, and over the next 2-3 years you concentrate, invest and work on getting the wheels needed to fulfill the potential. 2 possibilities 1 - You end up with a 30m Ferrari that shits on the opposition. 2- You sell on your project, maybe taking a loss. Based on performances with shite wheels and still performing well, Id better on the 1st scenario

Nice analogy by the way :)

The thing is I don't think his wheels can be improved that's why my analogy had no wheels.

It's that same argument Matt isn't it some people think touch can be improved some people think it can't.

The thing is I don't think his wheels can be improved that's why my analogy had no wheels.

It's that same argument Matt isn't it some people think touch can be improved some people think it can't.

yeah, and I swore to myself I wouldnt react this time :doh:

Hmm good question.

Yes I suppose I would. With Gerry it's all there it's literally just a case of experience and game time which will give him that sharpness and decision making attribute.

See, my gut reaction is no, but kind of for the same reasons people dont want to spend that kind of money on Rom.

Gerry has talent, no doubt. He could become the next big thing, but for all the great he did at Everton, there was just as much shite; tripping over his feet, same trick over and over, going down too easy, mostly poor decision making. All of which can be improved on though, just needs the time and training invested in him. Decision making is just as important as first touch for me (no point controling the ball perfectly if you dont know what to do with it) and theres no guarantee he will ever pick it up.

Mandzukic

Pirlo

Ronaldo

Totti

All improved their first touches MASSIVELY over the ages of 23/24...They showed glimpses of quality (like Deulofeu) but didn't have the touch they did in the latter stages of their career. They learnt how to control, cushion the ball. It CAN be taught. It CAN be practiced.

Not one of those players had a second touch being a tackle - not once were they even considered technically incompetent. They improved in the way that footballers do maturity and refinement.

The biggest improver on that list was Ronaldo who in all honesty is not much more technically proficient in terms of ball control - he's always had that. He worked hard on free kicks, ball striking and basically created the perfect athlete.

Mandzukic has always been a solid player, he was played out of position at Wolfsurg and when Dzeko went he on to be the main goalscorer - he has always had a sold touch, his physicality and increased ability to put in more work was his biggest development.

Pirlo wouldn't have been a professional footballer if it wasnt for his excellent technical ability. A midfielder who can't tackle, no physical attributes or pace.

Totti was in Romas team from something like 16 wasnt he and captain at 21...

What I am saying to reitterate is that none of these players had a substantial lack of control and touch that we have seen from Romelu.

I know Bobby Moore used to say "I had no pace and couldn't head the ball but won the world cup" - I just dont think any footballer could say "I couldn't control a football but was world class"....

Guest blueboy122

Not one of those players had a second touch being a tackle - not once were they even considered technically incompetent. They improved in the way that footballers do maturity and refinement.

The biggest improver on that list was Ronaldo who in all honesty is not much more technically proficient in terms of ball control - he's always had that. He worked hard on free kicks, ball striking and basically created the perfect athlete.

Mandzukic has always been a solid player, he was played out of position at Wolfsurg and when Dzeko went he on to be the main goalscorer - he has always had a sold touch, his physicality and increased ability to put in more work was his biggest development.

Pirlo wouldn't have been a professional footballer if it wasnt for his excellent technical ability. A midfielder who can't tackle, no physical attributes or pace.

Totti was in Romas team from something like 16 wasnt he and captain at 21...

What I am saying to reitterate is that none of these players had a substantial lack of control and touch that we have seen from Romelu.

I know Bobby Moore used to say "I had no pace and couldn't head the ball but won the world cup" - I just dont think any footballer could say "I couldn't control a football but was world class"....

Exactly that.

Can't compare those players with Lukaku they all have had better ball controls when they were in there dads testicles.

That's the second time in recent days Ive seen you come on here giving it large. Pipe the fuck down you moron - see not nice is it.

:doh: Well that esculated quickly.... I apologise if you took offense but in all honesty I wasn't trying to be arrogant, although I don't think there was any need to over react like that.

It was sarastic, just to clearify, although I do amit that it is quite difficult to portray that over the net.

Aiden, I reckon you should have put an avatar of some 6ft 4 beast with a skin head and tatts eating a raw steak, Miguel wouldn't pick on you then. You seem a nice lad, leave him alone Miguel!

Already done, what do you think? Not many keyboard warriors calling me a moron now eh?! :shaking fist:

:doh: Well that esculated quickly.... I apologise if you took offense but in all honesty I wasn't trying to be arrogant, although I don't think there was any need to over react like that.

It was sarastic, just to clearify, although I do amit that it is quite difficult to portray that over the net.

Already done, what do you think? Not many keyboard warriors calling me a moron now eh?! :shaking fist:

Blimey, anything you say mate!!! I'm not arguing with ya!

Brilliant.

Mandzukic

Pirlo

Ronaldo

Totti

All improved their first touches MASSIVELY over the ages of 23/24...They showed glimpses of quality (like Deulofeu) but didn't have the touch they did in the latter stages of their career. They learnt how to control, cushion the ball. It CAN be taught. It CAN be practiced.

Pirlo was masterfully brushing free kicks over the wall and into the back of the net back when he was with Brescia and Reggina. The main reason Inter and Milan ever got him was his technique because even in his prime he wasn't much of an athlete. Totti was one of the most brilliant technicians in the world the moment he made his debut for Roma. He became a world class star when he became stronger physically, when he gained endurance and muscle mass, etc. I wouldn't say much of Ronaldo's improvement has been technical either, it's all been tactical and physical.

It's not just Wenger that thinks about player development like that btw, academies across the globe are based on those assumptions.

I can't believe how some of you look at the best striker this club has seen since Wayne Rooney. YES he will continue to improve and if you would have read my previous comments you'll see why I say that. He has improved season after season and even if he didn't he's still a guarantee for 15 goals per season. I personally find him a better footballer than Barkley. He dribbles just as good, he's at least as fast, he scores a lot more goals, but also provides at least as many assists, he's physically stronger,... All you guys keep coming up with is his first touch. Always his first touch, as if it's the most important thing in the world:

YrAFa.gif

You won't find many strikers who do better with service from the wings than Lukaku in this league. That is cause he's so fast and wins physical duels with defenders. I'm starting to think I'd rather have Lukaku play somewhere else next season, so that at least he'll get some more well deserved appreciation than from muppets like you.

Dont get me wrong, if he came at the right price then great, but he seems to be held in some ridiculously high regard.

Its very strange the views that people have - some wax lyrical about Lukaku but fail to see how brilliant James McCarthy is.

Very good Haf, missed this before. It's opinion and that's how I see it. Your view on Lukaku is similar to mine of McCarthy, except I think McCarthy is decent - not exceptional.

You however just can't let the Lukaku thing go. You are very wrong (IMO) about him. He's more than good enough to lead the line and he'll only get better (IMO).

When you get something in your head you're like a dog with a bone (Moyes).

You lost me there.

I'm a supporter of bringing Lukaku here...but no.

Just no.

That sort of proves the whole perception here at toffeetalk. I find some players overrated on this forum. Like Anichebe last season for instance, he was some sort of cult hero and I never understood that. Barkley on the other hand I think is a great footballer, but he's also being exaggerated here as if he's the next Rooney, but he's clearly not. Lukaku on the other hand has been the subject of criticism, while he's arguably been the most important player in the squad, just for the fact that there's no one at the EFC squad who could have possibly done for EFC what Lukaku did in terms of goalscoring. Lukaku has even had much more assists than Barkley this season. The latter one doesn't exactly have defensive skills either and Lukaku is just as good of a playmaker. Yeah I stand by my statement: Lukaku is a better footballer than Barkley. :)

Edited by Mirallas