IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

That sort of proves the whole perception here at toffeetalk.

Sorry but that's just plain stupid.....there's no such thing as a TT perception, many people disagree on many things. And probably the things that most of us agree on are just plain obvious to anyone with half a footballing brain (and no personal national preference clouding their vision).

That sort of proves the whole perception here at toffeetalk. I find some players overrated on this forum. Like Anichebe last season for instance, he was some sort of cult hero and I never understood that. Barkley on the other hand I think is a great footballer, but he's also being exaggerated here as if he's the next Rooney, but he's clearly not. Lukaku on the other hand has been the subject of criticism, while he's arguably been the most important player in the squad, just for the fact that there's no one at the EFC squad who could have possibly done for EFC what Lukaku did in terms of goalscoring. Lukaku has even had much more assists than Barkley this season. The latter one doesn't exactly have defensive skills either and Lukaku is just as good of a playmaker. Yeah I stand by my statement: Lukaku is a better footballer than Barkley. :)

It's ironic you hint at biasedness on this forum.

Stats aren't everything.

Sorry but that's just plain stupid.....there's no such thing as a TT perception, many people disagree on many things. And probably the things that most of us agree on are just plain obvious to anyone with half a footballing brain (and no personal national preference clouding their vision).

No, it's not stupid Mike. There is a general culture at Toffeetalk where certain players are being overhyped.

No, it's not stupid Mike. There is a general culture at Toffeetalk where certain players are being overhyped.

You seem to be fitting into that "general culture" by over-hyping Lukaku.

I would love Lukaku to stay here, but he's not a player we can afford to spend €20M on unless we get some extremely shrewd and effective signings.

I'd spend €20M on keeping Barkley here before I'd spend €20M on bringing Lukaku in.

...In a perfect world.

I would love Lukaku to stay here, but he's not a player we can afford to spend €20M on unless we get some extremely shrewd and effective signings.

I'd spend €20M on keeping Barkley here before I'd spend €20M on bringing Lukaku in.

...In a perfect world.

I'm not overhyping Lukaku. I'm just praising him for what he is. He has delivered to the club and showed great football. Barkley also did his bit, but wasn't nearly as impressive as many fans claim he is. What exactly has Barkley done to deserve all this praise?

Edited by Mirallas

I don't know if "great football" is the appropriate way to describe Lukaku's playing-style. Other than his goals, he's not that enjoyable to watch. Barkley is an exciting and key cog to out midfield. He can dribble around players and score spectacular goals out of nothing. Lukaku relies on service.

Lukaku is not that great with the ball at his feet and he sure as hell isn't a playmaker. He may have better stats but that's it. If I a cross is sent in of course I'd prefer Lukaku there over Barkley, but there is no way I'd ever trust Lukaku in midfield. Lukaku also has two seasons under his belt as opposed to Barkley's one and Barkley has looked better this year than Lukaku last year and this year.

Lukaku can't rival Barkley's skill-set besides scoring.

I'm appreciative of Lukaku, but I'll say it again, I'll take Barkley over Lukaku any day.

That's crazy, man. I'll stick firmly by my opinion. I'm unpleasantly surprised about this general sense about Lukaku. And Barkley is not as good as you guys think he is. Previous hypes like Eden Hazard, Oscar or Schürrle, guys with whom Barkley is compared to by the British press, they all had around 15 goals and just as many assists in respectable competitions before they came to England. If Barkley will have a lot of work to do if he ever wants to match that level. I think he's a really good CAM, but please don't exaggerate him.

That's crazy, man. I'll stick firmly by my opinion. I'm unpleasantly surprised about this general sense about Lukaku. And Barkley is not as good as you guys think he is. Previous hypes like Eden Hazard, Oscar or Schürrle, guys with whom Barkley is compared to by the British press, they all had around 15 goals and just as many assists in respectable competitions before they came to England. If Barkley will have a lot of work to do if he ever wants to match that level. I think he's a really good CAM, but please don't exaggerate him.

Likewise, regarding Lukaku.

You can't measure how good a player is by how many goals/assists he has....you need to look at overall contribution to the team which can't be measured in such simplistic terms. If it was just TT members hyping Ross then you'd maybe have a point but it's people who know the game as well.....every pundit in the country is agreed on how good he is and how much better he can become. It's a no brainer.

That's the second time in recent days Ive seen you come on here giving it large. Pipe the fuck down you moron - see not nice is it.

Haha hahaha hahaha. ..hahaha...

You crack me up Cotto!!! And not in a good way. Of all the people to say this to someone?! You?! Hahaha!!!

Do you not read your own posts? Or more so, do you not think other people can read your posts?!!! And not remember the insulting, obnoxious, self righteous, arrogant, disrespecting drivel that you write 9/10?!!

Anyway, you shouldn't have said that to Aiden, from the looks of his profile picture he is a big raw steak eating meat head (my best mate by the way, love him to bits!).

And Matt...no, not a chance £20mill would go on Gerry.

Lukaku? He ain't coming here anyway!

Lukaku's touch against Hull was brilliant.....think people are blowing this out of proportion.

£20m for Gerry? Not a chance.

They are, way way out of proportion. His touch is perfectly fine unchallenged (as you would hope from a Premier League footballer!) but its when he is coming short, back to goal with a defender behind him that its really poor. He has enough good touches to know that he has the technical ability to control a football, he just needs to use his strength and position his body better to make sure he is able to control the ball and hold off the player at the same time. He is never going to be the most technically gifted player in the squad, it will always be one of his weaker points, but it will improve over time especially when he improves mentally/tactically.

Whilst I don't agree with Mirallas on Barkley others should respect his opinion.

That is the funniest thing I have read today... Almost spat my drink out.

If anything I think under hype players a lot of the time! You only have to look at this thread. I do get what your saying with Barkley/Lukaku but at the same time I dont agree. Both are important and I wouldnt disagree if you said Lukaku was more important to our season that Barkley was but that was Barkley's first full season of top flight football and he will improve bundles for the experience and when he starts to drop deeper he will have a much greater influence on the team, like he did in some of the games this season.

A lot of people on here seem to think that all Lukaku does is score goals and he is a far better all round player than he is given credit for a lot of the time. His link up play is vastly underrated ans so is his movement and tactical awareness. Its not as good as other players in the squad but that too will improve with age but I still do think his move is price dependant.

Haha hahaha hahaha. ..hahaha...

You crack me up Cotto!!! And not in a good way. Of all the people to say this to someone?! You?! Hahaha!!!

Do you not read your own posts? Or more so, do you not think other people can read your posts?!!! And not remember the insulting, obnoxious, self righteous, arrogant, disrespecting drivel that you write 9/10?!!

Anyway, you shouldn't have said that to Aiden, from the looks of his profile picture he is a big raw steak eating meat head (my best mate by the way, love him to bits!).

!

Anytime Newts. Glad to see you enjoy my posts.

I can't believe how some of you look at the best striker this club has seen since Wayne Rooney. YES he will continue to improve and if you would have read my previous comments you'll see why I say that. He has improved season after season and even if he didn't he's still a guarantee for 15 goals per season. I personally find him a better footballer than Barkley. He dribbles just as good, he's at least as fast, he scores a lot more goals, but also provides at least as many assists, he's physically stronger,... All you guys keep coming up with is his first touch. Always his first touch, as if it's the most important thing in the world:

YrAFa.gif

You won't find many strikers who do better with service from the wings than Lukaku in this league. That is cause he's so fast and wins physical duels with defenders. I'm starting to think I'd rather have Lukaku play somewhere else next season, so that at least he'll get some more well deserved appreciation than from muppets like you.

As soon as I read better footballer than Barkley I simply stopped reading, absolute bullshit. I know you like go endorse everything Belgian, but give your head a wobble. Lukaku isn't a footballer, he is a sprinter who can kick a ball.

I think this lukaku thread has been an eye opener. For me it's highlighted how much some fans perceive the need for a marquee player, arguably the last time we signed a marquee striker that other top clubs were interested in was Tony Cottee.

I was there for his debut a hattrick against Newcastle, crackin sunny day.

I've seen many strikers, played as a striker to a reasonable level and strangely enough been a defensive midfielder and full back at such level. So feel in running round after them know what makes a good one.

The two best equipped strikers I've seen at Everton is Rooney and Saha. After that it was lineker, after that Gray, Sharpe, Cottee, then Vaughan. Without injury that lad would be playing for England Imo. Lukaku is in amongst AJ for me, pacey, knows where the net is but isn't effective with a man marking him close.

Sorry Mirrallas, I know we should be really grateful to Belgium and everything, but despite paying £3m+ in fees, I conclude that your golden boy has very much to learn.

U fuckin whopper! Barkley's not as good as we think he is?!?! Time will tell, dickhead....

Edited by BlueBlood81

Can't believe the biggest debate going at the moment is about a player who isn't even Everton!!!

It's a belting debate, an interesting read.

From what I can see/read...no one would be gutted if we got him...but it's a 50/50 split on whether it would be a good move to pay around £20 million for him.

Now let's have a bit of calm, it's threatening to go all Ukraine just now!!!

Anyway forget £20 million...Chelsea have sold David Luiz to PSG for a reported £50 million...David Luiz, £50 million, same sentence...so god knows what they'll want for Lukaku.

I can't believe it. Someone at PSG needs sacking. While whoever at Chelsea negotiated that deserves a fat bonus!!!