IGNORED

Shane Duffy Abuse

Louis

From his "official facebook fan page":

You are a bigot and have fallen into the sectarian trap. How could you turn your back on YOUR Country and make a decision to play for another after having the honour of playing for Northern Ireland as a youth? You were treated well by the IFA and appreciated and respected by our fans, not now. Being treated so well is more than a Judas like you deserved. Obviously you read this page as I had to become a 'fan' of yours to voice my opinion but I can assure you I am no fan of any sectarian biggot especially you. Your decision to become a traitor will attract many other sectarian biggots from the Republic of Ireland, the kind of like minded idiots that you deserve and exactly the sort of scum that Northern Ireland have washed their hands of and got rid of many years ago. Northern Ireland have had dark days with unwanted biggotry which is now well into the past, this Shane is your dark and real future. The Republic of Ireland are welcome to you, we don't want biggots like you anywhere near our team. And quite frankly you are not, and never were good enough for Northern Ireland or Everton. Enjoy your future in the bargain basement of the League of Ireland. Enjoy your future with your republican sectarian friends from both sides of the border, they're welcome to you!

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=267542160091&topic=13073

Northern Ireland fans are notorious for this bitterness (just look at how they reacted to Marc Wilson and Darron Gibson), but Shane is delighted to have finally changed and pursue a dream that he and I both held from as long as we played football (of course I am jealous!). Shane only just turned 18 and had always had a desire to play for the Republic. He wanted to change from the beginning, only for Worthington to fast-track him through the ranks, forcing him to make very tough decisions at a less than ideal age and when that wouldn't work, he tried to guilt him into staying, telling him he was 'letting the team and coaches down'. He even pulled out the stops getting Moyes to have a word in his ear to tell him to stay only a few months ago, before Shane's 18th birthday - imagine that, asking someone with that much influence over the kid advise him to stay, even if he didn't really want to. I'm glad he stuck to his guns and followed his dream. Just wish he did it a bit earlier and this media frenzy could have been avoided... although it has probably served to raise his profile, his every move will be scrutinised now!

Some of their fans have come out with utterly cretinous, defamatory nonsense. It's absolutely sickening that people would subject a kid to that abuse for exercising their right to switch and in this case, to a team they've always wanted to play for.

I didn't realise that Shane had decided to play for the republic, good luck to him.

:angry: How sad, biggoted and twisted can people be? :(

May be the type of tripe that is in the minds and hearts of these people is exactly the reason for his decision.

Far too many footballers and people have had to live with these threats and taunts for too long.

Good luck Shane and hope to see you strutting your stuff at Goodison soon. :D