IGNORED

Breaking The Top 4

On a more serious note, I truly believe what Maddock is saying is right, i think our squad has matured unbelievably in the past couple of years and we now genuinely have the talent and strength in depth to compete with pretty much anyone in the league - I'm excited by what next season could hold for us. BUT, I think it is imperative we have another crack at the Europa League before we even contemplate champions league football, Moyes has shown again this season that he is naive when it comes to Europe, with an unfavourable draw I would worry about us not even making it past the qualifying stages of the CL again, and we all know what that could do to morale. Breaking into the top four means nothing if it isn't going to be a stepping stone onto something better, i.e. winning the league or a European trophy.

if we can keep Pienaar and get screech back to the way he was playing, get a new RW and striker, top 4 shouldnt be an issue next year. All big buts though.

Breaking into the top 4 will bring in more money which in turn will help bring in even better talent, which will help our cause for silverware. I agree though, it has to be a stepping stone for sucess.

good article...

Edited by galacticaracnid

DM today...

"This is the strongest Everton have been since I took over eight years ago. There is a good balance between a strong, hard-working side and the fact that we play some very good football these days."

"What we need to do now is build on that and continue to make this club stronger. I am excited because I can see that we are beginning to get to a level that could see us achieve things. But it is easy to talk about it."

"We are out of the cups and have been disappointing in the league. But I see around me a squad, that what we have got is a really good set-up."

"We have been at a good level for a few years, the question is can we make that extra jump. Some clubs have spent hundreds of millions trying to make that step up."

"What we have done is spend time developing the club and giving it stability. Now I am going to try to make the next move."

"But if another club spends another £50million in the summer, it does not matter what I have got here."

Don't really agree with the last line....he's under-estimating himself :) ....but I like the statement of intent just before it.

To make that next move it will take money, whether we like it or not, and we don't have it.

I don't doubt that (although luck would do it also, a totally injury free season would be enough for us to do it next year with our current squad imo...no chance of that though).

I just disagree that "another club" spending £50m would unquestionably put them ahead of us. That's only two Lescott's, it would need to be spent wisely....I think if DM had £50m to spend we'd challenge the top two.

I don't doubt that (although luck would do it also, a totally injury free season would be enough for us to do it next year with our current squad imo...no chance of that though).

I just disagree that "another club" spending £50m would unquestionably put them ahead of us. That's only two Lescott's, it would need to be spent wisely....I think if DM had £50m to spend we'd challenge the top two.

If DM had 50 mil to spend....what sort of dreamland are you living in and what drugs did you take to get there (I want some)!

In all seriousness tho. If DM had 50 mil to spend over two summers* (plus funds from sales), we'd be top dogs. No question.

*50 mil split between two summers...25-25, 20-30, etc.

Edited by bluenoseyankee