IGNORED

Investment

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2010/03/11/bill-kenwright-exclusive-my-search-for-a-blue-billionaire-for-everton-fc-100252-26007649/

The chairman revealed that there are currently three or four interested parties circling around Everton. But past disappointments have taught him to err on the side of caution.

The chairman revealed that there are currently three or four interested parties circling around Everton. But past disappointments have taught him to err on the side of caution.

This for me sums it up. Until, I see concrete proof, and the contracts have been signed, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Caution....is a good word!

I'd rather wait a long time for the right buyer, and not be saddled with the problems that some seem to have.

If we were in a relegation fight, hadn't had terrible injuries, and the squad was looking poor, then I'd be thinking, please someone buy us.

In the present financial climate, unless an obviously fantastic buyer surfaced (one we COULD trust)....then I'd say, we would do well to stick with what we have, Chairman, manager, squad etc.

If it hadn't been for injuries and a couple of daft games this season, we would certainly have been above our troubled neighbour....and they got everything they wished for....new owners, big name stars.They have spent 3 times what we have and their squad probably isn't as good as ours, their fans hate the manager and the owners.

Caution....

No doubt the usual di*kheads will jump on this article slagging Bill off for not finding us investment.

seems that way round here sometimes...think he needs to be praised and we should feel lucky he didn't just throw us to the first person who came along! only need to look at portsmouth really

As far as a business ventures go in the current financial climate in the EPL putting dollars into a football club probably yield on average pretty low returns if the investor ever does recoup their investment. There are an array of more attractive investments if someone is looking to invest some money and then sell their shares on later. So why would someone invest in a club? There are only a few reasons I can think of and all of them have to do with a takeover.

1. Play thing (examples Chelsea and Man City)- Currently given their stadium situations even turning themselves into global brands I don't believe will offset the costs of the salaries and transfer fees they dish out. Its not a sustainable business model. Maybe the money dries up maybe the investor gets bored but either way it doesn't end well.

2. Change the business model of an existing club. This is what the Americans have tried to do with UTD and the Shite. Hicks and Gillette seem to have failed- too much debt- can't get their new stadium up- and if your team isn't winning you can't capitalize on your brand name. I think only time will tell with the Glazers. Revenues are way up at UTD but they saddled the club with alot of debt and its tough to see if they will be able to get out from under that. Either way the fans aren't happy.

3. Buying a club to pull something out of it- I suspect this had something to do with Pompey mess buy I am not sure. Why anyone would buy a sinking ship is beyond me unless you think you can sell off the assets better than the previous guy. Anyways nobody supporting EFC wants this to happen either.

4. Someone puts in enough money so that we are perennially in the Champions League and increasing revenue that way. However with our low revenue stream we would be reliant on the Champions League dollars to pay the increased salaries that champs league players receive which again doesn't take the club to a place where an investor will see a return on their input.

So I think what we have been hearing all along has been true. The stadium situation needs to be sorted (and attractive stadium mind you) before any investment comes in.