IGNORED

Time To Drop Cahill?

Time to drop Cahill  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should Tim Cahill be dropped?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes who do you think he should be replaced by?

• Osman
    • Rodwell
    • Billy
    • Heitinga
    • Shouldn't be replaced

Tim Cahill hasnt been at his best this lately and hasn't really had the impact of previous seasons...do you think this is due to injury or does the team now just perform better playing a different way?

Games just seem to pass Cahill by when he plays in that central role and he rarely offers anything except an attacking threat at set pieces.

I personally think he should be used on occasion when game tactics permit.... He performs brilliantly in that role just behind the lone forward but that still requires and encourages us to play a more direct long ball game.... Is that really what Everton are now?

Osman has performed well recently and has changed games by adding a little composure into the midfield... if only he was more consistent...

So should Cahill be dropped as we perform better without him or is he an important part of our starting 11..

It's been time all season long IMO.

If he's being replaced as the supporting midfielder to the striker then I'd go for Bily; I think he'd be brilliant floating around there. But if it's as a central midfielder then I'd put Osman in for him.

Im guessing Billy may get his chance next season......

I cant see Cahill as a bench warmer, if he's fit he's going to want to play.Have always said he's pretty much a one trick pony....but hey what a trick!With the right striker to play behind and with the rest of the team playing to his strenghts, then he really shines.Unplayable at times, sadly this season we haven't seen too much of that.Maybe injuries are catching up with him.

What to do!....This is why Moyes picks up a massive pay cheque.

Couple of seasons back he would have been maybe the first name on the team sheet, thoughs days are gone I think.

Let's don't write him off yet!.....I hope he can regain his form and continues to piss off every opponent he comes up against.

But to answer the queation, should he be dropped....in general midfield, yes :(

Although cahill was mediocre at best in the early part of the season (and the last couple of games) he was really starting to get involved before he got injured. He was probably one of our best players in the couple of games leading up to his injury.

I think Cahill's days are becoming numbered but he can still play a big part as long as he remembers what he is therefore and doesnt try doing to much. His job is to bridge the midfield and attack, not to play as a midfielder (like he did against Bolton) and not to play as an out and out striker. No defence will like playing against him as a supporting striker but they will be licking their lips if he plays in midfield, or plays too far forward where he is easier to pick up.

I wouldnt write him off yet, he has had a couple of poor displays on the back of an injury before which he was one of our best players. Although I do agree with the OP who says we play more direct with him in the team, which I am not a fan of.

My preferred replacement would be Rodwell as I think he has been fantastic at bridging the gap between Yakubu and the midfield in previous games but I wouldnt object to seeing Billy there either, at least for a try.

On current form, yes he should be dropped and I voted for Osman to replace him. But Cahill turned 30 only a couple of months ago. By no means is he "done" or are his days numbered in my opinion. He's got at least three more good years in him, during which he will be one of the first names on the team sheet. (unless next year Bily becomes what he was bought for and Rodwell and Fellaini continue to fulfill their potentional, but I imagine that's still at least about two years away).

it hurts but yes, his form this season hasnt been all that great. I went for Ossie (no surprises there im sure) because i think its his best position, either in the centre along side Arteta or behind the striker, he is great in either position.

Not sure why Johnny or Jack are there, wrong position entirely!

it hurts but yes, his form this season hasnt been all that great. I went for Ossie (no surprises there im sure) because i think its his best position, either in the centre along side Arteta or behind the striker, he is great in either position.

Not sure why Johnny or Jack are there, wrong position entirely!

I would have to disagree with that slightly. I believe in time to come Jack will be able to play in a more advanced midfield role. He strikes me as a player when fully matured who could play right through the centre of a park whether defence or midfield or attacking midfield. It depends how moyes ends up moulding him.

Also i didnt know who to replace him with like Mike... I believe billy as i think romey mentioned to play there to let him float about, he likes getting in dangerous areas, but as someone else said thats not to next season, and mid next season at that.

Decisions Decisions!! Who would have thought it at Everton eh! haha!

When we talk about who could replace Cahill in the role just behind the striker, I seriously believe that at his best he's irreplaceable.Those mentioned and as yet unmentioned will have to bring something different to the table because they wont be able to do what Cahill at his best could/can do!

Who knows a Bily or a Rodwell could be good in that particular role and maybe the team can move on with new tactics.

One things for sure Cahill has been like a breath of fresh air at this club in his unique style and I hope he's not finished yet.

I'm all for changing tactics to suit opponents, I don't even see why you can't change midway through a game.We've got a good squad and I'd like to think next season when all are fit, teams wont know what the hell to expect.One problem is they are getting used to Cahill in HIS role, as good as he is they are getting better at playing him, that doesn't help his cause.

When we talk about who could replace Cahill in the role just behind the striker, I seriously believe that at his best he's irreplaceable.Those mentioned and as yet unmentioned will have to bring something different to the table because they wont be able to do what Cahill at his best could/can do!

Who knows a Bily or a Rodwell could be good in that particular role and maybe the team can move on with new tactics.

One things for sure Cahill has been like a breath of fresh air at this club in his unique style and I hope he's not finished yet.

I'm all for changing tactics to suit opponents, I don't even see why you can't change midway through a game.We've got a good squad and I'd like to think next season when all are fit, teams wont know what the hell to expect.One problem is they are getting used to Cahill in HIS role, as good as he is they are getting better at playing him, that doesn't help his cause.

Totally agree

I would have voted not to drop him if that had been an option!

Bily has been awful this season so why anybody would put him in ahead of Cahill is beyond me. There is a school of thought that Bily will come good next season with a full preseason behind him and I hope that is what happens, but until it does how can people consider him getting anywhere near the starting XI?

I also think Cahill will benefit from a full preseason and being able to play in his preffered position next season instead of playing half fit and being expected to fill in, in a variety of roles

Personally I am hoping that next season Moyes will be able to pick and choose when and where he decides to deploy Cahill

I would have voted not to drop him if that had been an option!

Bily has been awful this season so why anybody would put him in ahead of Cahill is beyond me. There is a school of thought that Bily will come good next season with a full preseason behind him and I hope that is what happens, but until it does how can people consider him getting anywhere near the starting XI?

It is an option :) . Seventeen people have chosen it.

And I agree completely with the second para.

And I agree completely with the second para.

Me too, Cahill hasn't been at his best but his campaign has been disrupted due to injury and the service from the wings has been pretty dire. He's better in the air than Bily, more aggressive and quicker - hopefully Bily will come good next season but at the moment he doesn't deserve to play ahead of Cahill in any position. Personally I'd pick Rodwell, I haven't always been his biggest fan in midfield (DM he looks too naive and out of his depth) but in his games as an attacking midfielder he has looked like possibly our (slower) version of Steven Gerrard. He gets forward, he can pass, he can shoot and he is physically strong and mobile enough. I've been slightly miffed that he hasn't played more recently as Cahill hasn't really been on his game. That being said, Osman is excellent in CM so I don't really mind who plays out of him and Rodwell, both should be picked over Cahill now until he's totally match sharp at the very least.

Timmy will be at Arsenal next year anyhow. Not sure what everyone is talking about. He hasn't had his best season, but hes still been in our top 5 players. At least Moyes knows how good he is. Unlike the rest of you, who don't know how good he is. Hes quality, and our best player. Arsenal awaits. (Wink, notice Bentdner going to Bayern), wink wink.

Timmy will be at Arsenal next year anyhow. Not sure what everyone is talking about. He hasn't had his best season, but hes still been in our top 5 players. At least Moyes knows how good he is. Unlike the rest of you, who don't know how good he is. Hes quality, and our best player. Arsenal awaits. (Wink, notice Bentdner going to Bayern), wink wink.

Long time no see ET...been spending time on Galatasaray forums I guess. Dillusional as ever though ;) .

drop him now eh!?!?? CANNOT believe how short sighted you guys are sometimes, honestly!!! Tiny Tiny Tim RUUUULES!!!!

No, 'short-sighted' would be you coming here with no other contribution to the thread other than after he's had a decent game.

(I don't agree he should be dropped though.)

Edited by Kohen