IGNORED

Arteta

Formby

There is a gentleman's agreement between the Home Nation FA's which prohibits the use of naturalised players, partly to protect domestic youth development and partly due to the complexities of British citizenship.

Basically, under the laws of the United Kingdom, Arteta would be eligible for British citizenship as 'English' does not exist, therefore if there was no gentleman's agreement then he would technically be eligible to play for Northern Ireland.

Edited by Grarghsies

Off topic : I was just curious. Whenever you say your source is the Sun you warn everybody that the contents of the article might be wrong. Isn't the telegraph just as questionable? I've read some articles in there that were just factually wrong (gerald warner to name one journalist who doesn't know what he's talking about) and extremely populist.

On topic : I think he has a shot at playing for Spain and if he believes that too he'll never go for British citizenship.

I don't find Xavi all that impressive to be honest. If I were in charge of the Spanish national team I'd have Iniesta and Arteta running my midfield.

Off topic : I was just curious. Whenever you say your source is the Sun you warn everybody that the contents of the article might be wrong. Isn't the telegraph just as questionable?

Without a doubt...virtually all newspaper speculation is highly questionable. I just have paticular contempt for the S*n/NOTW.

Think in this particular case though it's probably a matter of fact. Even the S*n is believable occasionally....if they reported that it rained in Manchester yesterday I'd probably accept it as the truth :) .

Off topic : I was just curious. Whenever you say your source is the Sun you warn everybody that the contents of the article might be wrong. Isn't the telegraph just as questionable? I've read some articles in there that were just factually wrong (gerald warner to name one journalist who doesn't know what he's talking about) and extremely populist.

On topic : I think he has a shot at playing for Spain and if he believes that too he'll never go for British citizenship.

I don't find Xavi all that impressive to be honest. If I were in charge of the Spanish national team I'd have Iniesta and Arteta running my midfield.

are you kidding? every time i see him and against man utd included he runs it...possibly the best midfielder in the world and if barca offered to swap i would..

even if you take them two out of the picture you still have fabregas, senna and alonso to get passed...he is better than senna but he is there more for the heitinga style when needed which isnt mikel's game..

besides which arteta is a proud spaniard and i don't think he would play for england even given the opportunity..would any of you play for spain given the chance? i wouldn't...

Without a doubt...virtually all newspaper speculation is highly questionable. I just have paticular contempt for the S*n/NOTW.

Think in this particular case though it's probably a matter of fact. Even the S*n is believable occasionally....if they reported that it rained in Manchester yesterday I'd probably accept it as the truth :) .

too much red i reckon :lol::lol:

Edited by marcopaulo

would any of you play for spain given the chance?

If I got the call tomorrow I'd definately consider it! :lol:

I don't see him ever getting in the squad, he's in good form at the moment and hopefully it is being noted but I don't see Xavi and Iniesta being split up from the centre of midfield until they decide Xavi is too old. I think he's god a few more years in him yet as he's not a player that relies on pace and is such a sensible lad anyway that he'll last as long as is physically possible.

His only hope (and I don't think any Spaniard including Arteta would be hoping it) would be that they have a few injuries that would cause them to bring in a fresh player.

He was on the verge of a call-up from Spain when he got injured.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/-injury-cost-me-spain-chance.html?utm_source=rss_everton&utm_medium=rss_feed&utm_term=%27Injury+Cost+Me+Spain+Chance%27

If del Bosque thought he was good enough then then if he gets back to his best there's no reason why he won't get another chance, but probably (as said) take an injury or two to get him close to SA. Jags is in a similar situation.

If del Bosque thought he was good enough then then if he gets back to his best there's no reason why he won't get another chance, but probably (as said) take an injury or two to get him close to SA. Jags is in a similar situation.

Difference being of course that Mikel looks like he's not too far off his previous form, while Jags seems to have a fair bit to go..