IGNORED

Evertons Most Important Player

Ok so you look at gerrard at liverpool.

barry at villa, tevez at city fabregas at arsenal.

Terry at chelsea. even murphy at fulham and delap at stoke.

All these players play different positions and not all are captains.

which of our players do you see as the most important to everton and who do you think other clubs think is our most important player.

based on the last 3 years I think most people would have said arteta/cahill. I think it changes season on season I think jags last season was our most important player this season I think it's stevie P.

I think people outside the club would say cahill although I think phil Neville has been at times.

bit rambled but there you go.

Over the course of the past few seasons, Arteta and Cahill without a doubt.

But neither of them have been as pivotal this season - Arteta coz of injury and Cahill coz his forms been a bit up and down. Perhaps that's why we're not seriously challenging for fourth!

I think what this season has shown is that when really needed, we've got a few who can stand up and be counted, and that's a good position to be in, you shouldn't rely on just one or two players. John H has held us together defensively and has had an immense first season, Baines and Pienaar have really stood out for consistency and reliability, and I think Fellaini's form from November to when he got injured was what helped us turn the season round, he looked an absolute superstar.

Saying that, most of the names on Memmas list are players who either score or create 20 goals a season year in, year out. Maybe that's what we need to add (or what we've missed with Arteta and Cahill not being so prominent). Personally I still think we're short up front, Saha and Yak aren't consistent enough, if we had a striker who you just knew was gonna bang in 20-30 goals a season, we'd be a real force to be reckoned with

Name a striker in the prem or in europe currently who would guarentee 20 goals + a season who wouldn't cost 20 mil+

I can't, just saying its probably the missing piece in the jigsaw. Gotta be some hidden gems out there somewhere though... <_<

Name a striker in the prem or in europe currently who would guarentee 20 goals + a season who wouldn't cost 20 mil+

Darren Bent springs to mind... But since strikers are only guarenteed to deliver 20+ a season if they get the service its all relative. Anelka is a prime example of that.

Anyway, i want to say Arteta but this season its been Peanuts but a country mile.

:lol: It is Arteta...look how we've played without him in the squad for the last two weeks, breaking teams down has been a nightmare!

Fair point, but look at the beginning of the season and that run of 4 games scoring 13 and conceding none. then the portsmouth game, pienaar goes off injured results that followed: win, draw, draw, loss, loss, loss, draw, loss, win, loss, loss, loss.... he was back for those last 2 losses i think but wasnt 100%. But 2 games later and we were drawing against the top teams and winning.

Arteta hasnt done enough this season to warrent the title. Previous seasons no doubt, but not this year.

Fair point, but look at the beginning of the season and that run of 4 games scoring 13 and conceding none. then the portsmouth game, pienaar goes off injured results that followed: win, draw, draw, loss, loss, loss, draw, loss, win, loss, loss, loss.... he was back for those last 2 losses i think but wasnt 100%. But 2 games later and we were drawing against the top teams and winning.

Arteta hasnt done enough this season to warrent the title. Previous seasons no doubt, but not this year.

Spidey, I dont think the thread is taking seasonal form into account and im definitely not talking about this season, im looking at the whole squad irrelevant of form.

Say every player is in top top form, who would be a more important addition, Arteta or Pienaar? Which player would other teams take on top form?

IMO Arteta can be unplayable, creates, chases, set peice takings, he has it all. Pienaar no doubt is a quality player and very very important to Everton, i do love Stevie but out of the two, Arteta would be the most important to us. Similar to the Liverpool saga with Alonso, Arteta going would have the same impact, i do agree that Stevie had to carry the creativity torch alot this season and he's had a blinder but again, overall....Its the best little spaniard we know.

Spidey, I dont think the thread is taking seasonal form into account and im definitely not talking about this season, im looking at the whole squad irrelevant of form.

Say every player is in top top form, who would be a more important addition, Arteta or Pienaar? Which player would other teams take on top form?

IMO Arteta can be unplayable, creates, chases, set peice takings, he has it all. Pienaar no doubt is a quality player and very very important to Everton, i do love Stevie but out of the two, Arteta would be the most important to us. Similar to the Liverpool saga with Alonso, Arteta going would have the same impact, i do agree that Stevie had to carry the creativity torch alot this season and he's had a blinder but again, overall....Its the best little spaniard we know.

how about a compromise Ten. if we say this season its Pienaar. If for the last 5 years, Arteta. Pienaar has all the qualities you mentioned i think the thing that seperates them both is Artetas vision.

Shout outs too for Howard (imagine his replacement playing most of the season!). Skippy must be mentioned, little Ossie, Jags, Baines.

Arteta without a doubt. Although I suspect by next year I might be making a case for Fellaini.

the thing here is they're different players but i think i know what you mean. i know everyone in the 11 is different but what im geting at is they're in a similar role but with different responsibilities. if they play side by side, i could see them being on a par, fellaini being the most important in terms of preventing attacks and arteta for creating. unlike say heitinga who is important due to being a rock at the back, you mighnt consider him for the most important player i nthe team because of his all round contribution. artet's so important because he dictates the place and almsot everything goes through him, fellaini though could be the same only he's breaking things down and then passing it on to mikel. either way, it's an exciting though, the 2 of them together in the middle could be fantastic!

how about a compromise Ten. if we say this season its Pienaar. If for the last 5 years, Arteta. Pienaar has all the qualities you mentioned i think the thing that seperates them both is Artetas vision.

Shout outs too for Howard (imagine his replacement playing most of the season!). Skippy must be mentioned, little Ossie, Jags, Baines.

There's your answer :P Yeh i get what you're saying dude, no question, it was only because the thread was about Evertons important player. So i argued that Arteta is more important. simples. haha

Piennar has been one of (if not) our best player this season, no doubt! No compromise, i will admit that :)

I agree with nogs for the most part in that I dont really think we have a most important player. For example would we have missed Arteta as much if Felli had been playing? Or whether Cahill and Saha had been dropped for Rodwell and The Yak?

I certainly agree Arteta is a very influential player but we have a lot, and providing the balance of the team is right then they can all step up. I think its a toss up between him, Pienaar, Felli, Heitinga and Jags (when fully fit).

I also think what Romey says is very true about Cahill being our most important player in other teams fans eyes and it just shows you how much they know, to an extent. Back in the day we needed his ability to work hard, hassle and get in the box and pop up with a goal. Now Everton have adapted and do actually on occasions try to play football, he isnt really that influential in most games. However, I also bet if you asked which player any opposition defender they would least like to face then I bet he is probably top of the list!

Pienaar and Arteta for us i think it shows when Mikel was out how bad we were when Peanuts was injured too. Pienaar is so underated its untrue, he would walk into any of the top fours teams.

underrated by others yes, but definitely not by everton fans.

and he wouldn't get near chelsea's team and i'm not sure about arsenal

underrated by others yes, but definitely not by everton fans.

and he wouldn't get near chelsea's team and i'm not sure about arsenal

Are you mad? wouldn't get near Chelsa's team? He is a better player than cole, Ballack, Mikel hands down. Malouda is outstanding at present but if Pienaar had Drogba or Anelka to supply he would prove just as effective. As for Arsenal he is a better player than Nasri, Walcott, Rosicky by a long shot.

Are you mad? wouldn't get near Chelsa's team? He is a better player than cole, Ballack, Mikel hands down. Malouda is outstanding at present but if Pienaar had Drogba or Anelka to supply he would prove just as effective. As for Arsenal he is a better player than Nasri, Walcott, Rosicky by a long shot.

ballack and mikel are centre midfielders, whilst pienaar may naturally play there he hasn't much i nthe prem, ontop of that mikel is a defensive midfielder and im pretty sure pienaar would be useless there.

as for cole, a fit joe cole i think is as good if not better than pienaar and malouda is a much better player.

as for arsenal, nasri > pienaar. in terms of their alround game nasri is a better passer with better vision and is more of a goal threat, he doesn't work as hard as pienaar but he's a better footballer. walcott the judge is out on but i accept your point for the time being. rosicky the same, he's been injured too much in england so i'd say pienaar was better there as well.

as he's playedo n the left for us i was implying that he wouldn't play on the left for either of them, in arsenals case they may well move him to the right but that would have to be considered he wouldn't just 'walk in'. malouda is just better, zhirkov looks a good player as well, so i don't think chelsea haveroom on the left