IGNORED

Europa Or Not Europa For Next Season...

Matt

Ive seen some people saying that maybe not qualifying this year may give us a better chance of competing with the new big 4 (cant include the Kopites in that anymore :) ) and some saying that we need it for attracting big names and the obvious financial implications. These are at least the main arguements ive seen, if im missing any out, speak up!

Personally i think it wouldnt be the end of the world if we didnt get in, so long as we compete in the 3 remaining competitions with gusto. A season with quite a few less games (anyone know how many games we played in Europe this season? 10-12 at a guess?) for a squad as small, and injury prone, as ours would surely be a good thing. I wouldnt see it putting off potential big names (that would be the lack of finances for hefty wages) as Everton is recognised as a club steadily improving. Its widely accepted that weve been one of the best teams of this year and who knows what wouldve happened if we hadnt been cursed with injuries. A few less games next year is less chance of injuries and more time for our small team to conserve our energies. As for attracting the big names, we dont have the finances for the transfer fees, so Europa (unless it pays out stupid money like the CL which im pretty sure it doesnt - yet) doesnt really have a real impact here either. It would be an incentive for players to come, but players we wouldnt be able to afford anyway (is my long winded point).

So, Europa or not Europa, that is the question!

The Europa money won't be a big miss http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/villa-are-lucky-to-be-out-of-europa-league-1778904.html .

Think you've summed it up pretty well. The current squad and anyone taking an informed interest (as any potential target would) can see the reasons we've not qualified this season (assuming we don't).

Since Christmas the "big" four have been United, Chelsea, Arsenal and us....the potential in the club is the highest it's been for a long time....one year out of the Europa wouldn't be the end of the world. As I've said elsewhere today, it's not done Spurs and City any harm this season has it?

i've never been one for wishing us not to get into competitions etc...but this season has opened a lot of eyes i think as to how vulnerable this squad is..if we take away those 10 or so games then we can maybe focus on winning a domestic trophy? we bottled it again this year in europe and personally its shown me that we aren't as a squad ready for it..so i must say either way i'm not too bothered as it is nice to play in europe the benefits of not playing in europe are probably greater right now for us as a club! i mean im sure one of you knows how much the domestic cups pay out if you win etc and how much the europa league pays out i wouldnt be that surprised if there isnt much difference? i mean we reached the quarters or summat didnt we and got a couple million a couple seasons ago? which is stupid for the amount of games played

I can see the point, that maybe a season out of Europe may do us good at home - ie: challenging for top four and maybe a domestic cup.

But personally, I love watching my team play - as frustrating and heartbreaking as it is sometimes - And I love watching my team play in Europe and competing against some of the best teams on the continent. From my (spectator's) point of view, the more games we play, the better.

However, saying that I'd like to see us win something. If not playing in Europe next year, will help us do that then perhaps I'd be willing to sacrifice those dozen or so extra games. And of course if we do win something then we'll qualify for Europe the season after.

So in short, yes I would like us to be in Europe next season, but if we're not, then I'd be expecting nothing less than a top four finish and a domestic cup trophy ;)

Personally I want us playing in Europe every year, we've not exactly got a great record in Europe under Moyes, the only way we're gonna improve is keep playing in it. If we did qualify for the CL next year, I'd feel more confident going into having had another chance to iron out some of the obvious tactical flaws that have cost us in the Europa. Not qualifying is just a lost opportunity for progress I reckon.

Saying that, I won't be complaining if we win a domestic trophy next season.

It may do us some good not to get into Europe but I'll miss us being in a European competition and getting the Everton name out there.

Although, maybe the Everton name not being out there in relation to another embarrassing defeat could be a good thing!

Edited by Romey 1878

Guest rusty747

I'm confused. assuming Pompey lose their belated bid for a Europa Cup place then the top 7 go into either the European or Europa Cup. However, if the RS should win the Europa Cup, would that open up an 8th position? The logic would be that if the RS finished 8th and won the Europa Cup they would have to be given the opportunity to defend it next season.

the winners get a place but i read somewhere england doesn't get an extra spot if liverpool qualify by winning it and in the league so it stays at 7th assuming pompey lose their bid..not sure how that works cos i don't know where the extra place goes to but that's what i saw! i'm sure there are many that are more clued up than i about it and will confirm or deny that!

I'm confused. assuming Pompey lose their belated bid for a Europa Cup place then the top 7 go into either the European or Europa Cup. However, if the RS should win the Europa Cup, would that open up an 8th position? The logic would be that if the RS finished 8th and won the Europa Cup they would have to be given the opportunity to defend it next season.

Titleholder

2.06 Unless the UEFA Cup titleholder qualifies for the UEFA Champions League

through its domestic championship, it is guaranteed a place in the group

stage of the UEFA Europa League. If the titleholder does qualify for the

UEFA Europa League through its domestic competitions, the number of

places to which its national association is entitled in the UEFA Europa

League does not change. If the UEFA Cup titleholder does not qualify for

either the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League through its

domestic competitions, its participation in the UEFA Europa League is not at

the expense of the contingent of its association.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/competitions/UEFACup/84/52/89/845289_DOWNLOAD.pdf

So if Liverpool win it and finish seventh with us eighth we won't qualify.

If Liverpool win it and finish eighth with us seventh we both qualify.

Looks like Villa are gonna take another three points in their final game in hand against Hull tonight - almost half time and 1-0 up. That'll put them in sixth - 2pts ahead of RS, and 7 ahead of us.

...and the end of any realistic chance of us catching them!!! :(

Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I've been wanting this season to end for quite a while and this just makes me want it even more. Let's just hope for a settled summer so we're not coming into the new season in turmoil. Although, this Pienaar situation isn't making that look likely :(.

Guest rusty747

Agreed it is a long shot but don't give up just yet. The RS have had a long and difficult journey to Madrid, they then play on sunday away at Burnley (fighting for their survival), home to Chelsea(fighting for the title) and away to Hull City (fighting for survival). If the RS get anything less than 3 points v Burnley then I think it will still be possible if we win all 3 games to the end of the season - but only just.

we have to be in and have a squad fit enough to cope with all comps because if we don't we will have a yo-yo situation where one year we aim at surope and are rubbish in the league and the following season good iun the league becasue we are not in Europe.

In have to aim at being in europe every season and if we don't make it then next season make the most of not being in it. Although always aiming to be in it.

Discuss =)

we have to be in and have a squad fit enough to cope with all comps because if we don't we will have a yo-yo situation where one year we aim at surope and are rubbish in the league and the following season good iun the league becasue we are not in Europe.

In have to aim at being in europe every season and if we don't make it then next season make the most of not being in it. Although always aiming to be in it.

Discuss =)

The year we got knocked out by Fiorentina we had a good season as well didn't we? I could be remembering that wrongly though.

Always want us to be competing in everything, but it looks like the question is pretty much academic with recent results (Villa & Shite) not going our way.

So yes, I will be disappointed that we won't be in it next season, but I also agree with some others on here in that it could be a blessing in disguise.

As long as the desire and commitment doesn't fade I can live with it.

The year we got knocked out by Fiorentina we had a good season as well didn't we? I could be remembering that wrongly though.

Our highest premier points total that season....65. Ten EUFA games and the run to the Carling Cup semi, although we did go out of the FA Cup to Oldham in the third round :( .

Had an incredible Jan/Feb/early March. Forgetting the Chelsea semi we played fifteen, won twelve, drew two and lost just the one (Fiorentina away) in all comps :) .

Our highest premier points total that season....65. Ten EUFA games and the run to the Carling Cup semi, although we did go out of the FA Cup to Oldham in the third round :( .

Had an incredible Jan/Feb/early March. Forgetting the Chelsea semi we played fifteen, won twelve, drew two and lost just the one (Fiorentina away) in all comps :) .

In that case Memma, your yo-yo theory doesn't quite work.

Pompey's appeal rejected...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8558580.stm

Always likely....the FA couldn't run the risk of Liverpool not winning it and finishing seventh. If we'd been looking likely to get the place the appeal would probably have been accepted ;) .

Yep. it made perfect sense, they missed the deadline, i dont see how they could give evidence with predicted figures, that's the worst type of business projection ever!

Bold bit: Don't we know it :lol:

Edited by tenaciousj