IGNORED

The Space Between

As most Evertonians are filled with enthusiasm and optimism over the potential next year holds (myself included, mostly)I'd like to point out three obvious and crucial gaps that, at this point in time, will prevent us from making a proper go at the title. I really, honestly believe that we've got the squad to do it (with 2-3 more senior additions in the summer).

1) Clean Sheets. This can perhaps be blamed on our lack of a constant central pairing and could be solved easily by establishing a first XI CB pair early on. But I really don't think it is that simple. Some of the goals we have allowed this year have been absolutely embarrassing (see the Derby at Anfield, and the Baines error last weekend). Something has got to change on the back lines next year, because clean sheets=points.

2)Failure to close down quickly. Over the past few matches and in those during that awful beginning of season run, we have failed to close down on the opposition, giving them space and time to do what they want. Villa had it, Stoke got space, Hammers received tons, even Fulham were allowed to much...this has got to stop if we are to be a top squad.

3) Inability to properly deal with set pieces. Embarrassing, I don't even need to explain this one, cuz if you can't see it, well, you're blind.

So there they are, three huge defensive gaps between us and being great. Find it ironic that after praising Moyes' defensive mettle for the last two years and having issues with his middle of the park and finishing tactics that I'm not writing saying that same defensive mind has a few things to work out. Hopefully the summer does our players some good and the back 4 is as strong as ever next year. COYB.

i'm not convinced jags is fully fit yet but distin has been getting better all the time and i think him and jags will be a big basis for the 2 defensive points next season..as for the closing down when we have heitinga and fellaini fit again either of them 2 will do that job i think...

as for missing qualities i think you missed out the fact we have the inability to score at times and i just hope the yak gets his touch back next season because we dont have the money to bring in a big massive name upfront

Got to agree with Marcopaulo on the attacking aspect. We, at times, are not threatening or ruthless enough in front of goal. I think this could be helped with some real pace. We looked a much more balanced and dangerous side when we had Donovan on the right wing.

Personally, I think the biggest thing we need to work on is our consistency. Perhaps being out of Europe will help us here, but I'm tired of seeing our boys look like world beaters one week and bed wetters the next.

Attacking is definitely the one part I thought I might be leaving out. But, I do think that the goals will come with Fellaini back and Arteta, Pienaar and Baines on top form. If we can manage to land(on) Donovan this summer or again for a loan spell, that would be immense in helping us get a bit of attacking grit.

Whatever the shortcomings the fact is (as Steve Round pointed out post match today) we've lost just two league games since November. That's more than five months. You can moan all you like (and I will as well) about points dropped when they shouldn't have been but the fact that we've had such a run while often not being at our best says a lot.

I'm excited about next season....get off to a good start and much is possible.

I didn't intend to whine. Rather, just to spur a discussion as to the gap that still exists between us and being legitimate title challengers. IMO breaking into 4th place is a significant but ultimately worthless achievement if it doesn't quickly advance to challenging for the title. I also think this squad plus a right winger (Donovan or Reyes?) and a new striker (Bent) is more than capable of mounting a legitimate title challenge.

As most Evertonians are filled with enthusiasm and optimism over the potential next year holds (myself included, mostly)I'd like to point out three obvious and crucial gaps that, at this point in time, will prevent us from making a proper go at the title. I really, honestly believe that we've got the squad to do it (with 2-3 more senior additions in the summer).

1) Clean Sheets. This can perhaps be blamed on our lack of a constant central pairing and could be solved easily by establishing a first XI CB pair early on. But I really don't think it is that simple. Some of the goals we have allowed this year have been absolutely embarrassing (see the Derby at Anfield, and the Baines error last weekend). Something has got to change on the back lines next year, because clean sheets=points.

2)Failure to close down quickly. Over the past few matches and in those during that awful beginning of season run, we have failed to close down on the opposition, giving them space and time to do what they want. Villa had it, Stoke got space, Hammers received tons, even Fulham were allowed to much...this has got to stop if we are to be a top squad.

3) Inability to properly deal with set pieces. Embarrassing, I don't even need to explain this one, cuz if you can't see it, well, you're blind.

So there they are, three huge defensive gaps between us and being great. Find it ironic that after praising Moyes' defensive mettle for the last two years and having issues with his middle of the park and finishing tactics that I'm not writing saying that same defensive mind has a few things to work out. Hopefully the summer does our players some good and the back 4 is as strong as ever next year. COYB.

Given that we have had to resort to playing Tony Hibbert at CB on more thn one occasion I hardly think its surprising that our clean sheet tally has taken a hit.

I honestly think we have a stronger back 4 with better options in reserve than we have had for a long time.

Jags has been a big miss for us, he is not only one of our best defenders, if not best, he is also the organiser and I personally hope to see him and Johnny H as the first choice pairing next season. But whoever it is Im sure we will see normal service resumed next year

Whatever the shortcomings the fact is (as Steve Round pointed out post match today) we've lost just two league games since November.

In the grand scheme of things, you have to be proud of the players for what they've achieved - in the league at least - since Christmas. To turn a team around that was in and around the relegation zone into a team fighting for a European place, is no mean feat, and credit to the players for doing that. However, I think what irks most people is that we know we could have done better this season - and not just at the beginning of the season. Though that would have helped enormously, I'm sure, by giving us bit more breathing space in the later part of the season.

I'm excited about next season....get off to a good start and much is possible.

To be honest we haven't got a reputation for starting well, at least in the last two seasons, we've been saying "this is the game that's going kick-start our season" until November at least. Frankly, I hope I don't hear that phrase again, but until I see it I'm not holding my breath

I suppose one good thing to take from the result yesterday is that we know exactly where we're gonna finish and how much prize money we're gonna receive - sooooo...... BK, get your calculator out, punch those numbers in, get peanuts signed up till 2014, find out how much you got left then go and fill those gaps in our squad - Oh! and while your at it, if you come across anyone with a few hundred million quid burning a whole in his pocket, tell him we need a new stadium built, and fast.

Moyes' tactics could also be seen as a reason for that space between <_<.

Sorry, I'm still pissed about yesterday.

i was just about to say that but thought id read what others said incase i got stick for it...im mellowing.

we won't catch the big boys with moyes' naive tactics. on paper we've got a side that can challenge but even when most of them are fit we still can't beat some of the lesser teams. moyes takes too long to change things, he's too conservative with tactical selections and he often makes the wrong changes.

i was just about to say that but thought id read what others said incase i got stick for it...im mellowing.

we won't catch the big boys with moyes' naive tactics. on paper we've got a side that can challenge but even when most of them are fit we still can't beat some of the lesser teams. moyes takes too long to change things, he's too conservative with tactical selections and he often makes the wrong changes.

:blink: Lets sack him then!

Moyes has done an unbelievable job getting us to finish 8th this season all things considered. I just cant believe peole can question his ability to take us further

Of cause he makes mistakes, every manager does. He is still learning and personally I wouldnt want any other manager in the world in charge of us

:blink: Lets sack him then!

Moyes has done an unbelievable job getting us to finish 8th this season all things considered. I just cant believe peole can question his ability to take us further

Of cause he makes mistakes, every manager does. He is still learning and personally I wouldnt want any other manager in the world in charge of us

i knew some tosser would come along and quote me and say that, how surprising that it's you.

for the record in general, i don't think moyes should be sacked and i do think he's done a fantastic job...but that doesn't change the fact that he can be naive and defensive.

he's gettin his subs right sometimes lately as they have got us a few points and that is when he has done it early..the major issue i have with him is when he brings players on giving them 5 minutes is not enough..he changed things against man utd and we breezed it with the fresh legs and two of the subs scored..he gave vic a whole half off the bench and he practically dragged the team to a win against fulham..against blackburn he gave yak 20+ mins and he won that match on his own really but then yesterday he brought bily on in the 90th minute? :blink:

he needs to learn from the positive changes he has made this season that have worked!

i knew some tosser would come along and quote me and say that, how surprising that it's you.

for the record in general, i don't think moyes should be sacked and i do think he's done a fantastic job...but that doesn't change the fact that he can be naive and defensive.

Just as I knew a tosser would start slagging Moyse off just because we failed to beat Stoke

So basically what your saying is we will never improve under Moyse but lets keep him anyway?

I can see us improve under Moyes! all we need is some luck with injuries and a good start to next season.

We outplayed Arsenal at their place and should have won 3-1, we've beaten Chelsea and Man Utd this season, we even outplayed the rs at Goodison and lost :( .

Has the Yak really been fit this season, he has started to look sharp, but for most of the season he didn't, Arteta and Jags weren't about, nor have been Vaughan and Vicks just got back.Fellaini ended his season as he was just hitting fantastic form.

Other players missed chuncks of the season also.

Our league position this year is not the best, but the reasons are above!

That's another season under his (Moyes) belt! You can be certain he's learnt things.

We will need our share of luck next season, but we could well finish in the top 4.

Just as I knew a tosser would start slagging Moyse off just because we failed to beat Stoke

So basically what your saying is we will never improve under Moyse but lets keep him anyway?

time and time again i have to reword things just so you can understand them, it bores me.

i've never said we'll never improve, nor did i intend i pointed out a flaw that's been evident for a while...big deal.

and i'm not 'slagging' off anyone other than you for being an absolute halfwit who comments everything i say with a snide remark and jumps to a comclusion and then points the figure back at me...if you could actually readand process written english then maybe we wouldn't have this problem. the term ofthe day for you to google is realism and maybe constuctive criticism. we're on an everton forum so i can expect some bias, but if i said id rim moyes noone would bat an eyelid, i say something negative you predictable go off on one for no reason. can there not be any such criticism? i assume moyes is perfect? before you're quick to point out that im myself jumping to a conclusion there as well its probably worth considering why and the answer to that would be in response to you. you can deny all you want as well, if it was someone else you probably wouldn't open your mouth.

briefly, because im bored, it's not because of stoke...infact i didnt even watch the game for a change, it is a general opinion and one shared by many, but of course the one time i mention would be the time you decide to speak up. i also think moyes can improve, although we have beensaying this for years and he's no longer the inexperienced young manager. do i want another manager? not right now. can moyes be tatically naive? yes

how many times you make me point out the mistakes in your own posts. do me a favour, please don't quote me or respond to my posts again, you are truely the most boring person ive ever encountered. yet another thread i have to stay out of because of some wanker. laters

time and time again i have to reword things just so you can understand them, it bores me.

i've never said we'll never improve, nor did i intend i pointed out a flaw that's been evident for a while...big deal.

and i'm not 'slagging' off anyone other than you for being an absolute halfwit who comments everything i say with a snide remark and jumps to a comclusion and then points the figure back at me...if you could actually readand process written english then maybe we wouldn't have this problem. the term ofthe day for you to google is realism and maybe constuctive criticism. we're on an everton forum so i can expect some bias, but if i said id rim moyes noone would bat an eyelid, i say something negative you predictable go off on one for no reason. can there not be any such criticism? i assume moyes is perfect? before you're quick to point out that im myself jumping to a conclusion there as well its probably worth considering why and the answer to that would be in response to you. you can deny all you want as well, if it was someone else you probably wouldn't open your mouth.

briefly, because im bored, it's not because of stoke...infact i didnt even watch the game for a change, it is a general opinion and one shared by many, but of course the one time i mention would be the time you decide to speak up. i also think moyes can improve, although we have beensaying this for years and he's no longer the inexperienced young manager. do i want another manager? not right now. can moyes be tatically naive? yes

how many times you make me point out the mistakes in your own posts. do me a favour, please don't quote me or respond to my posts again, you are truely the most boring person ive ever encountered. yet another thread i have to stay out of because of some wanker. laters

Ha ha ha thanks for cheering me up!

How can you have the cheek to question my ability to " readand process written english" in a post littered with spelling and grammatical mistakes?

I take it by the fact you think that im singleing you out that you are the chimp I had a spat with over Piennar earlier in the season?

If so it would be interesting to hear what you think of him now, if not my apologies

Ha ha ha thanks for cheering me up!

How can you have the cheek to question my ability to " readand process written english" in a post littered with spelling and grammatical mistakes?

I take it by the fact you think that im singleing you out that you are the chimp I had a spat with over Piennar earlier in the season?

If so it would be interesting to hear what you think of him now, if not my apologies

can't even spell players names right either...it is right though there is always one who won't hear a bad word against moyes! like i said above he has got better at it and in some games does positive tactics and we win but then reverts to negative again the week after..it is frustrating and he needs to learn when to be negative and when to be positive because both can be useful

im sorry, i didn't realise my posts had to go through a SPAG check for submission, i do apologise. i'm pretty sure that if i wanted to try and write properly i'd be able to do so better than you anyway. all ways a sure sign that someone has no real 'comeback' when they start picking on grammar on a forum. as pointed out (thanks c1982 - you're growing on me), atleast get it right yourself if you're going to criticise. i'll make sure to read it over a few times next time just for you...not...daft cunt

Edited by CraccerC