IGNORED

Jagielka

just goes to show that you dont neccessarily need mega money signings to have a sucessful squad. Wait, why does that sound familiar? :rolleyes:

Most of the Arsenal squad are probably on about treble the wages our players are on so you do still need the money, and the reason Arsenal havent been succesful is probably because they havent quite spent enough over the past few seasons

Most of the Arsenal squad are probably on about treble the wages our players are on so you do still need the money, and the reason Arsenal havent been succesful is probably because they havent quite spent enough over the past few seasons

i would agree. the one big signing they did make, arshavin (also they're record signing), did a ton to improve their team. i feel like they gamble too much on young players, bringing them in and hoping they'll be able to cope with the premier league. if they bought some (not necessarily a lot) of established talent then they would win the title, no doubt about it in my mind. having said that, i hope that established talent isn't jags!

Edited by American Evertonian

i kind of see where youre coming from, especially the wage issue (though i thought they had a similar structure to us, just with more to play with - 80k is their cap i believe). But yeah, ok... Money is needed. What i was getting at is that we dont need a sugar daddy to be sucessful...

I know its been a long time since theyve won something but qualifying for the CL every year is some sort of achievement!

i kind of see where youre coming from, especially the wage issue (though i thought they had a similar structure to us, just with more to play with - 80k is their cap i believe). But yeah, ok... Money is needed. What i was getting at is that we dont need a sugar daddy to be sucessful...

I know its been a long time since theyve won something but qualifying for the CL every year is some sort of achievement!

i agree that we don't need a sugardaddy to succeed. i actually like the way arsenal are run, with lots of different parties investing and the board making the decisions. i also agree that we don't need to make mega signings every summer but hopefully a couple times in the champions league will see us have a money structure closer to that of arsenal: able to increase our wage cap and able to buy without having to sell each summer.

I think one of the main reasons we can't let Jags go is the Lescott saga - we'd be very hard pressed to get in another top-class replacement a la Heitinga, and centre back is a bit like goalkeeper in that it takes time to get someone settled in the position who builds up an understanding with those around him. Lescott leaving badly unsettled our team because we basically had to field a totally knew CB pairing with Jags being out, and before John H settled in there. Now we've got Jags and Johnny H which I reckon is a pretty damn good looking CB pairing that had some time playing together before the end of last season, be a big blow to have to changing that round again.

Anyway, I thought Wenger had already signed one CB from Europe and was sniffing round a couple more, anyone know any news on that?

Ah, he let three centre backs go.... bugger :unsure:

Edited by nogs

I think one of the main reasons we can't let Jags go is the Lescott saga - we'd be very hard pressed to get in another top-class replacement a la Heitinga, and centre back is a bit like goalkeeper in that it takes time to get someone settled in the position who builds up an understanding with those around him. Lescott leaving badly unsettled our team because we basically had to field a totally knew CB pairing with Jags being out, and before John H settled in there. Now we've got Jags and Johnny H which I reckon is a pretty damn good looking CB pairing that had some time playing together before the end of last season, be a big blow to have to changing that round again.

Anyway, I thought Wenger had already signed one CB from Europe and was sniffing round a couple more, anyone know any news on that?

Whilst I agree it also means that the whole Lescott Saga demands that this is sorted now and not tomorrow either way - slap another £5k per week on to Jags' contract. We will not find another CB as good as Jags for £4m - simples - so we need to spend part of the "£4m" (aka a replacement CB) on his wages, swiftly followed by the middle finger to Wenger. :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1268876/Cesc-Fabregas-secret-deal-Arsenal-paid-captain-3m-stave-Barcelona-interest.html?ITO=1490

LOl Cesc Fabregas wouldnt get out of bed for £80k a week he reportedly got a £3M bonus with his £110k a week contract in April(although the Daily Mail probably isnt the best source in the world)

Arshavin and Van Pesrie are said to be on similar amounts and then of course they have a shiney new stadium as well. Everton can only dream about being as skint as Arsenal!

I wouldnt even contemplate an offer for that feeble amount for Jags. Lescott cost 24 mil and Jags is twice the player, so stick a 50mil price tag on him from where I am standing.

I was also looking at the Arsenal squad and while I think they have quality players I would only have 2/3 of their players in our starting line up (Fabregas, RVP and possibly a winger - Arshavin). Yet I would have a chunk of our players (mainly defence) in theirs, in fact if you had an Arsenal/Everton hybrid you would probably have an awesome team with a good balance of attack and defence.

Jags might be able to get more money, and play CL footy but IMO we have as much chance as Arsenal have of winning trophies and getting in the top 4 this season.

I'd take Sagna, Fabregas, RVP and Arshavin myself. Clichy is almost as good as Bainsey too.

------------- Howard -------------

Sagna --- Jags -- Heitinga -- Baines

------------ Fellaini ----------------

-------- Arteta -- Fabregas ----------

Pienaar ---------------------- Arshavin

-------------- Van Persie --------------

*drools* :P

I'd take Sagna, Fabregas, RVP and Arshavin myself. Clichy is almost as good as Bainsey too.

------------- Howard -------------

Sagna --- Jags -- Heitinga -- Baines

------------ Fellaini ----------------

-------- Arteta -- Fabregas ----------

Pienaar ---------------------- Arshavin

-------------- Van Persie --------------

*drools* :P

are u kidding??? no hibbert??? hehe

I hate to be a stick in the mud but I refer back to this time last week when I posted in the " rumour without a link" section that this deal is actually a lot further along the line than is being banded about in the press currently!! As stated previously have no idea the reliability of this source but seems strange that its now a rumour that every man and his dog is now reporting on!!!! Trying to stay positive about things and trying to contemplate where we would go should jags leave for between 15 and 20 mil but struggling to find positives that is!!!!

Yeah you would think that was a quality looking partnership. Only you have forgotten Distin, and he will start games centre half, i think mainly due to his height and strength, plus i think towards the end of the season, him and jags got it together. Moyes has plenty to think about in alot of positions which is great.

As for jags, i really hope he stays, i would be gutted if he left us!

Yeah you would think that was a quality looking partnership. Only you have forgotten Distin, and he will start games centre half, i think mainly due to his height and strength, plus i think towards the end of the season, him and jags got it together. Moyes has plenty to think about in alot of positions which is great.

As for jags, i really hope he stays, i would be gutted if he left us!

You're probably right, just don't think Distin has got the class of either Jags or Heits. Johnny may well start the season in midfield anyway with Fellaini still being out, in which case it will be Jags and Distin (PRAYING Jags stays.... :blink: )

The more I think about this, the less likely I think it'll happen. Think about it, if Wenger really wanted Jagielka bad enough to pay the reported 15 million for him, you would have thought he would have purchased him before the following happened:

- Splashed the cash for Koscielny

- Gave Koscielny the #6 shirt

- Let Vermaelen talk about how much he was looking forward to forming a partnership with him

You'd think if he really wanted Jagielka in his starting side that he would have done that in the first place with Jags instead of Koscielny. I'm pretty sure Jags wouldn't want to go to Arsenal to sit on the bench, so with Koscielny going there it probably does us a massive favour. Instead of buying Jags, Wenger should just hold onto Sol Campbell for another year.

If it's home grown players Wenger is worried about needing, he should look to guys like Joe Hart, Micah Richards and/or Nedum Onouha to boolster his squad.

• 2 weeks later...